Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Switching offer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

Logo wrote: »
    Sounds good - except it's difficult to price-match eirs 40e a month for BB + LL. Plus I will also need to be able to cancel the DD...

You can just cancel within the cooling off then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Can anyone comment on the quality of broadband for streaming to chromecast?

I live with my parents and all 3 of us with use tablets or phones and the same time, with both my father and myself streaming to chromecast in separate rooms.

Im with virgin at the moment and had awful month last month when i had issues with internet going on and off.

Virgin advertise up to 130mb speed i think and eir up to 100mb. My fear is that the demand will result in internet dropping and buffering issues.

Since they fixed the internet, it has remains perfect. No buffering throughout and streams instantly to chromecast.

Is there a risk of above issues with eir or would those who switched say its generally just as good.

I dont trust any of the advertised speeds as they always say up to 130mb etc. I have never met anyone who could confirm they receive the max speed advertised.

A further concern I suppose would be the 1 TB limit. Id worry that heavy streaming would cause us to exceed this amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

mikeysmith wrote: »
    You can just cancel within the cooling off then

Is this done by phone call or should I email their cancellation form somewhere too? think I will do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

lightspeed wrote: »
    Can anyone comment on the quality of broadband for streaming to chromecast?

I live with my parents and all 3 of us with use tablets or phones and the same time, with both my father and myself streaming to chromecast in separate rooms.

Im with virgin at the moment and had awful month last month when i had issues with internet going on and off.

Virgin advertise up to 130mb speed i think and eir up to 100mb. My fear is that the demand will result in internet dropping and buffering issues.

Since they fixed the internet, it has remains perfect. No buffering throughout and streams instantly to chromecast.

Is there a risk of above issues with eir or would those who switched say its generally just as good.

I dont trust any of the advertised speeds as they always say up to 130mb etc. I have never met anyone who could confirm they receive the max speed advertised.

A further concern I suppose would be the 1 TB limit. Id worry that heavy streaming would cause us to exceed this amount.

a few things here..
    1) check the speed you are getting with VM. not with wifi but with a LAN cable directly into the VM router.
    2) log on to your VM account to see you current usage.
    3) all that streaming around the house will test your router so you will need to consider the quality of the hardware that Eir are supplying.

not answers sorry, but info to help you make a choice..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

trev44 wrote: »
    a few things here..
    1) check the speed you are getting with VM. not with wifi but with a LAN cable directly into the VM router.
    2) log on to your VM account to see you current usage.
    3) all that streaming around the house will test your router so you will need to consider the quality of the hardware that Eir are supplying.

not answers sorry, but info to help you make a choice..

Just to chime in on this - I'm with VM - switching to Eir currently.

I'm on a 240Mb package with VM - wired (which I don't use) I get approx 180mb using Speedtest or Fast.com but 215mb with the VM tool - which I suspect only tests the line from VM server to the exchange...could be wrong though.
    On wifi I get about 30-40 mbs.
    Would take your point on the equipment though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭djmj

Logo wrote: »
    I had BB & home phone installed last week. BB is good but home phone has never worked - even though I have contacted them every day since. After several secretaries have asked me to unplug & re-plug the modem while she runs some line tests - today they tell me that a technician will call over the next few days. I would think that they are a good supplier if everything goes to plan, otherwise it's a shambles. I have only a week left of the cooling off period - does anyone know how I can make a cancellation if needs be?
    Is your phone connected to the modem or to wall phone socket?
    If to the modem check the other port.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Logo

djmj wrote: »
    Is your phone connected to the modem or to wall phone socket?
    If to the modem check the other port.
    I connected the phone to both modem ports. One port gives an engaged tone and I can't make or receive calls (the other port doesn't give any dial tone).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

They just moved my installation date without actually saying they had moved it😀

I'm resisting any urge to contact them unless I have to. I don't want to go down the eircom rabbit hole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

mikeysmith wrote: »
    They just moved my installation date without actually saying they had moved it��

I'm resisting any urge to contact them unless I have to. I don't want to go down the eircom rabbit hole

same as me mine was to be today but now on friday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,871 ✭✭✭Soarer

Just got a phonecall from them to confirm my installation for tomorrow. Hopefully it goes ahead.

• Advertisement

Soarer wrote: »
    Just got a phonecall from them to confirm my installation for tomorrow. Hopefully it goes ahead.

Should go to plan if u got the call

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭dk1979

ben36 wrote: »
    No,i got mine installed this morning from eir.2 installers came seperately,one installed the phone line first and 30 mins later another came and installed the broadband.With virgin the last 8 years and previous to that Eircom.

I'm glad Virgin raised their prices by so much this month as otherwise i wouldn't have even bothered looking at other providers.I actually saved a lot more as i now also have bt/eir sports free through my sky box so i cancelled my €25 a month bt sports package.Added bonus too is that they provide it to another sky box if u have multiroom

Thinking of cancelling Virgin and taking this BB offer too. When you cancelled VM, was there a notice period and did you continue to have use of their Broadband for the notice period. Or, were you cut off immediately. How long from ordering did it take to get fully connected with EIR? Have a fear of cancelling VM and then waiting weeks without internet until Eir install?

How are your speeds any drops in evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gearbox2013

dk1979 wrote: »
    Thinking of cancelling Virgin and taking this BB offer too. When you cancelled VM, was there a notice period and did you continue to have use of their Broadband for the notice period. Or, were you cut off immediately. How long from ordering did it take to get fully connected with EIR? Have a fear of cancelling VM and then waiting weeks without internet until Eir install?
    Hope your experience is not like mine!

https://community.eir.ie/feedback-318/appalling-customer-service-losing-new-business-296727

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

dk1979 wrote: »

You still have the notice period with VM.. I cancelled them on 28 Nov, ordered Eir on 27 Nov and had it installed Dec 8. So had the 2 going at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭mkov

Had my broadband activated with Eir today after switching from Vodafone. With Vodafone I always had around 50-70 mbps and checking now with Eir it is saying my speed is 95mbps. Glad to see increase of speed on the same line.

Are ye happy with the speed. Any drop outs in evenings

Are ye happy with the speed. Any drop outs in evenings

dropped to 85 in the evening. Still seems faster than Vodafone, I thought it would be the same. Maybe the server elsewhere (outside town) is different for Vodafone and Eir, but I'm getting faster speeds with Eir.

mkov wrote: »
    dropped to 85 in the evening. Still seems faster than Vodafone, I thought it would be the same. Maybe the server elsewhere (outside town) is different for Vodafone and Eir, but I'm getting faster speeds with Eir.

hoping mine are better due to be installed between 12.30-16.30.funny my sky bb just stopped working exactly at 9am and not come back on so line must be active on eir mnow i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

mkov wrote: »

I wonder is it the profile you were on? When my new line was installed 18 months ago it would prequal for 40 megs. It now prequals for 80 megs on the eir website so I wonder do I need to get my profile updated with Vodafone? Could be a reason why your speeds increased with switchover?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,636 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Anyone who has switched ,has there been much downtime with broadband when changing over ?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jonnyha

Yes, I had Eir modem installed yesterday at 9am. Was told it would take an hour to activate. Still not working. Have called a number of times but nobody can give me an answer. Particularly useless customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭sue97

I have Eir on a two year deal and it's a nightmare. Counting the days until I can move to Sky. Hopefully we just got a lemon

Got it installed at 5pm and just home to check it out and I'm getting 35mb. Best I ever got. Was getting no more than 27mb with sky. Happy so far

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

I wouldn't touch eir with a barge pole. Dodgy out

Tylerdurex wrote: »
    I wouldn't touch eir with a barge pole. Dodgy out

Well for me it's already way better than ****ty sky

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Sounds like your order wasn't done as a winback which means it goes thru as a brand new order instead of a quick painless transfer from one provider to another

Zardoz wrote: »
    Anyone who has switched ,has there been much downtime with broadband when changing over ?

I actually had technician in few days earlier as he said he is in the area so he put in new Eir router and said all done and left, but I had no internet so had to put back Vodafone router.

Apparently they wait for 2 weeks cooling off period. Once that is gone, your service is switched to Eir (so 2 weeks after order date).

I got a text message with my new Eir landline number and the text said my service is active. I unplugged Vodafone router and plugged in Eir and internet was on. So no downtime (or only couple of minutes).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,965 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I had great service for the first five months and then suddenly started having problems. They continued all the way through my contract.
    Now for the real dodgy stuff. My contract was up and I told them I was not renewing. Suddenly my service got way worse and I got hit with a huge bill.
    I was told that I'd downloaded 1.5 tb of stuff in a month. I've never went over 100gb in my life.
    They sent me a new router because of the issues I was having and charged me for it. They are still looking for 199 euro for these two things.
    I left them three months ago. I'll never ever go back to them.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    I had great service for the first five months and then suddenly started having problems. They continued all the way through my contract.
    Now for the real dodgy stuff. My contract was up and I told them I was not renewing. Suddenly my service got way worse and I got hit with a huge bill.
    I was told that I'd downloaded 1.5 tb of stuff in a month. I've never went over 100gb in my life.
    They sent me a new router because of the issues I was having and charged me for it. They are still looking for 199 euro for these two things.
    I left them three months ago. I'll never ever go back to them.
    Is it true they have fair usage policy of 1tb.if so thats not great with all the streaming that goes on. I stream Netflix in 4k and have kids that constantly use YouTube and Netflix

Advertisement