Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graham Lenihan "no good right wing comedians"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

In fairness, Obama doesn't have glaring flaws the same way that Bush and Trump do. The man obviously is not perfect but comparing him to the latter two in terms of scope for ridicule is a bit ridiculous.

Obama had plenty of flaws, but because he's a democrat he's safe. It's pathetic really. He reminds me of Tony Blair - a slimy creep, more concerned with image and spin than policy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,935 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Obama had plenty of flaws, but because he's a democrat he's safe. It's pathetic really. He reminds me of Tony Blair - a slimy creep, more concerned with image and spin than policy.

I'm not buying it. Bill Clinton has been ripped to shreds over his personal life.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,935 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Well, I recall BBC panel shows being extremely brutal regarding New Labour and Tony Blair. I've seen plenty of material from The Simpsons & Family Guy making Clinton out to be at best immoral and at worst, an insatiable pervert who walks around naked all of the time.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Thatcher generated levels of resentment in places like Scotland, Northern England and Northern Ireland unseen under any other British politician so perhaps that's part of the answer there. Blair did oversee some genuinely progressive reforms such as anti-discrimination legislation and the 2006 Freedom of Information act. He's hated quite widely in the UK anyway though so I disagree there. Trump is just a foul human being without any redeeming qualities. He might be a bad example. Bush started two wars in the middle east though that are arguably still causing problems.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Very true, feel the same about Trevor Noah. Stewart could make me laugh even when I disagreed with him.

I also think satire is the same and that Linehan and Mattews were blessed with Dermot and Ardal as they gave their respective roles bags of humility and charm which I don't think they would have found with many other actors, if any.

To be fair, Linehan has a great knack for that between Black Books and The IT Crowd as well.

Thatcher generated levels of resentment in places like Scotland, Northern England and Northern Ireland unseen under any other British politician so perhaps that's part of the answer there. Blair did oversee some genuinely progressive reforms such as anti-discrimination legislation and the 2006 Freedom of Information act. He's hated quite widely in the UK anyway though so I disagree there. Trump is just a foul human being without any redeeming qualities. He might be a bad example. Bush started two wars in the middle east though that are arguably still causing problems.

Did you know that Obama bombed Libya, the result being a failed state. Probably not, because the stupid Irish media wouldn't dare criticize Saint Obama. You're seriously deluded if you don't think there is a huge bias in favour of figures on the so-called left.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

I don't recall comedians making fun of Obama, at least not remotely to the same extent as Bush or Trump.

Jim Downey, a longtime writer for Saturday Night Live, tried to justify this in his book Live from New York, claiming that comedians didn't make fun of Obama because "There’s not a single thing to grab onto -- certainly not a flaw or hook that you can caricature."

Congratulations must go to Obama for being the first person since Jesus not to have a single flaw that a comedian could caricature. Oh, wait ... Jesus at least inspired The Life of Brian.

Even when Obama presented Queen Elizabeth II with an iPod loaded with his own speeches ... silence. Imagine Trump giving the Queen such a gift. The comedians would have a field day.[/quote]
    People made fun of Bush but not like with Trump but Trump will not come to close to the damage that Bush caused with Iraq and then Obama foreign policy decisions over Iraq which proved to be catastrophic. Trump will talk a lot but his foreign policy so far imo is pretty much right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Obama isn't in the same ball park as Trump. Every time Trump opens his mouth something stupid comes out. It's impossible not to make fun of him, all he's missing is the clown outfit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Cienciano wrote: »
    Obama isn't in the same ball park as Trump. Every time Trump opens his mouth something stupid comes out. It's impossible not to make fun of him, all he's missing is the clown outfit
    With Trump, find the Twitter usage is also damaging. If he is on a visit or gives a reasonable speech, he then seems to shoot himself in the foot with a series of tweets.

Cienciano wrote: »

I'm simply making the point that Obama got a very easy ride. I( didn't mention Trump. People on here are obsessed with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Laughable to compare Obama and Trump. If Obama said or did half the stuff Trump has done over the past year/18 months he would be out of office in record time

Did you know that Obama bombed Libya, the result being a failed state. Probably not, because the stupid Irish media wouldn't dare criticize Saint Obama. You're seriously deluded if you don't think there is a huge bias in favour of figures on the so-called left.

You mean the nato campaign that was headline news for months on every network with Benghazi now on the tip of everyones tongue when nobody outside of Libya had ever heard of the place previously..

Tell me when has fox or any of so called liberal networks in the states reported these stories?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/donald-trump-syria-death-toll-campaign-military-operations-barack-obama-administration-a7844526.html

https://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Monthly-US-Drone-Strikes-Quadrupled-Under-Trump-Report-20170613-0034.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Ronald Reagan said, "If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism."

What we are now seeing in America and indeed the world over is people afraid to express their political views in fear of how others will react. It's a genuine fear and a horrible state of affairs for us all.

I could'nt thank that post enough.... The world is gone PC mad... I tend to speak my mind and have a balanced realistic view on things...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Laughable to compare Obama and Trump. If Obama said or did half the stuff Trump has done over the past year/18 months he would be out of office in record time

You mean the nato campaign that was headline news for months on every network with Benghazi now on the tip of everyones tongue when nobody outside of Libya had ever heard of the place previously..

Tell me when has fox or any of so called liberal networks in the states reported these stories?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/donald-trump-syria-death-toll-campaign-military-operations-barack-obama-administration-a7844526.html

https://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Monthly-US-Drone-Strikes-Quadrupled-Under-Trump-Report-20170613-0034.html

Hmm, Trump was continuing something that Obama started there. And it got very little coverage (Yemen still gets very little coverage).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Billy86 wrote: »
    To be fair, Linehan has a great knack for that between Black Books and The IT Crowd as well.

Dylan Moran was what made Black Books worth watching, in terms of both writing and performance

the IT crowd was ****, and oddly enough it was one of the few times linehan flew solo on the writing...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Bambi wrote: »
    Dylan Moran was what made Black Books worth watching, in terms of both writing and performance

the IT crowd was ****, and oddly enough it was one of the few times linehan flew solo on the writing...:)
    Took me a few years to give the IT Crowd a shot but it was excellent, it's probably his most successful show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Before Clinton, there were quite a few Jimmy Carter jokes too. But the differences between Obama and Trump, and the way they are seen by comedians, can't be attributed to party politics alone. Trump would be no less of a laughing stock if he was a Democrat. Bill Maher and other have said that Trump's election will be great for them because it gives them an easy target.

I think right-wing comedians have a tough job these days just doing right-wing comedy at all, if their audiences can't separate criticism of the person from criticism of his politics. Try criticising Trump online and you get called a RINO (Republican In Name Only). There's a Reddit called /r/The_Donald, dating back to before the election, which looks to me like an ongoing piece of performance art with multiple layers of sarcasm and entendres, except ... there are people who really believe the things they say. There are post on there supporting Roy Moore, for example. To some, party politics literally excuse anything.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

I don't see how Obama caused ISIS given that it was Bush who escalated American interference in the region by causing two wars. Trump so far is showing no signs of cutting any debt nor is he likely to deliver on any of his promises and let's not pretend that he doesn't enjoy media cheerleaders of his own.

You say prosperity but most of that's in Southeast England. The North's economy went to pot after her, as did that of Scotland. I used to live in the North, it's still much, much less prosperous than the South. GDP growth figures are well and good but if your average Northerner can't get a job, expect him to blame someone. It's partly what's caused the populist surge we're witnessing.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Andrew Dice Clay might tick the right wing boxes.

Don't find him funny myself tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

I don't see how Obama caused ISIS given that it was Bush who escalated American interference in the region by causing two wars. Trump so far is showing no signs of cutting any debt nor is he likely to deliver on any of his promises and let's not pretend that he doesn't enjoy media cheerleaders of his own.

You say prosperity but most of that's in Southeast England. The North's economy went to pot after her, as did that of Scotland. I used to live in the North, it's still much, much less prosperous than the South. GDP growth figures are well and good but if your average Northerner can't get a job, expect him to blame someone. It's partly what's caused the populist surge we're witnessing.[/quote]
    She didn't help the backbone of Britain mainly the industrial element in the North but those jobs weren't going to last anyway, now we see that with the global warming movement. If she didn't do it someone else would have. No Prime Ministers has  reversed it or even tried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Prune Tracy

I find the mere fact he's a democrat has the opposite effect too (ditto Hillary) - I sense that those who slate them wouldn't have a problem with the very same stuff being done by republicans. They all deserve criticisms for any wrongdoing.

E.g. a poster has started another thread about the state of affairs in Libya following Gaddafi's removal. That poster makes it clear their negative feelings about muslims on a regular basis. An opinion they're entitled to, by the way, but do you really think they'd be concerned about the people of Libya if that attack had not been Obama/Clinton approved?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

bit of a sacred cow - in fairness though he's been involved in some great stuff over the years so I can't be too harsh on him - but he comes across as an awful gowl on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭donegal_man

.............................the IT crowd was ****...:)

Did you try switching it off and on again?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

20Cent wrote: »
    Andrew Dice Clay might tick the right wing boxes.

Don't find him funny myself tbh.

He made an interesting comment recently. He said when he was huge in the late 80s and early 90s he got the most grief off of the religious right in America, but these days he gets it from the left.

Important to note too that 'dice clay' was a character he cultivated. A parody of some of the personalities he witnessed growing up in Brooklyn in the 60s and 70s.

It's important to separate the character from the performer.

She didn't help the backbone of Britain mainly the industrial element in the North but those jobs weren't going to last anyway, now we see that with the global warming movement. If she didn't do it someone else would have. No Prime Ministers has  reversed it or even tried.

Just to be clear, I am trying to explain the negative perceptions people have of Mrs. Thatcher. I'm not trying to debate the woman herself or her policies.

H. H. Asquith

I don't know. They would have went for whomever was in power at the time. That's what Political comedians do.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

You say prosperity but most of that's in Southeast England. The North's economy went to pot after her, as did that of Scotland. I used to live in the North, it's still much, much less prosperous than the South. GDP growth figures are well and good but if your average Northerner can't get a job, expect him to blame someone. It's partly what's caused the populist surge we're witnessing.

I wanted to quote this for emphasis. My husband is from the midlands, and the first time I visited his home town I was absolutely shocked. I grew up in Germany, and in the 1990s studies in Leipzig (former East Germany), but I had never seen a place of such decay, abandonment and visible poverty anywhere in Europe before.
    It was during that visit that I realised why so many English hate Thatcher.

Advertisement