Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graham Lenihan "no good right wing comedians"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,153 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

20Cent wrote: »
    Left wing care about others.
    Right wing only care about yourself fcuk everyone else.

As we've descended into the left v right crap, I think I'll unsubscribe from the thread. Shame, it was an interesting topic.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

They don’t actually care about others. They care what others think about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    I still don't know what it means to be left wing or right wing.
    Anyone else?

Left-wing politics supports social equality and egalitarianism. Right wing politics embraces social or economic conservatism.

However, both have splinter groups which drag their good names into the mud.

1. Far Left Wing = Everyone who doesn't believe in everything we say 100% is a Fascist Scumbag who deserves to be smashed in the face with rocks.

2. Far Right Wing = Everyone who doesn't look like us and believe what we say 100% is a Traitor to their country, and white people, and deserves to be smashed in the face with rocks.

Everyone else on the Left and Right generally just gets on with things and looks at those two groups and thinks

"What the **** is wrong with these two groups of idiots?"

But this is dragging this thread off course.

Anyway on Linehan....

I wish someone who stated that they were leaving Twitter for good would actually have the courage of their convictions and...you know... leave it for good.

Long show was it?

I’d say less than 2% kept their hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

GerryDerpy wrote: »
    I’d say less than 2% kept their hands down.

How is who plays James Bond left wing?

Also what do you mean by "shame"? he told some jokes!!

• Advertisement

How is who plays James Bond left wing?

Also what do you mean by "shame"? he told some jokes!!

Idris Elba be black. It is considered a progressive left viewpoint that a black man plays Bond.

Shame as in “so we still have racism in modern Ireland”. No jokes.

Idris Elba be black. It is considered a progressive left viewpoint that a black man plays Bond.

Comedy show with no jokes should've got your money back.

So thinking Elba shouldn't play Bond is a regressive right wing viewpoint.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

By that you mean left wing views tend towards collectivism and the rights of the state and right wing favours the protection of individual rights against the state?

Comedy show with no jokes should've got your money back.

It was an awful show.

Not caring about the colour of Bond’s skin is not racist, of that I am sure.

By that you mean left wing views tend towards collectivism and the rights of the state and right wing favours the protection of individual rights against the state?

Big simplistic.
    Right wingers tend to be the ones who want most state intrusion into peoples lives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭john.han

It's only considered a progressive left viewpoint by left wing idiots and right wing idiots are threatened for some reason by this. Point is idiots on both ends of the spectrum are ruining it for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

What is it about Irish people in the entertainment industry that turns us into such boorish, self-important blowhards?

Back when Father Ted was riding high he always came across as very self effacing and witty. Now he just seems like a bit of a twat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

The left has been more likely to be socially liberal than the right. That the economic right didn’t want the government increasing taxes, interfering with business etc didn’t mean it didn’t want the government interfering with sexuality. It was the left that supported decriminalisation of homosexuality and gat marriage and more.

john.han wrote: »
    It's only considered a progressive left viewpoint by left wing idiots and right wing idiots are threatened for some reason by this. Point is idiots on both ends of the spectrum are ruining it for everyone else.

I agree. I think anyone that follows an ideology is an idiot. Evidence based policies is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

I think the easiest way to think of right wing and left wing is in terms of wealth. There is an inherent selfishness in human behaviour so people will lean towards the viewpoint which best serves their needs.

I know I'm making a rather large generalisation but people with money want their money and property protected and tend to be conservative in their outlook.

People with little personal wealth tend towards the left which aims for more redistribution of wealth.

On a lot of the left/right wing issues, things are not as clear cut. Many people of the right will be in favour of "left" causes and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Big simplistic.
    Right wingers tend to be the ones who want most state intrusion into peoples lives.

Thats also a very simplistic statement, the extremes of both sides which are by far the loudest voices in any political discorse these days probably want about the same levels of state control, its just in different aspects or areas of society

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 Vlad Kelly

As we've descended into the left v right crap, I think I'll unsubscribe from the thread. Shame, it was an interesting topic.

Odd comment, seeing as you contributed to precisely that with your posts.

That said modern “liberalism” is a virtue signalling mess of crackpots.

I’d turn some of the criticism around - why is it that it is the more politically correct pro feminist comedians who are more likely to **** off in front of women?

Some comedians are left wing. Most are apolitical. I’d say Larry David doesn’t exactly come across as a feminist but I’d also be surprised if he were found out to be abusing his power over women.

It’s a general rule that people in public life that are keen to make us aware how right on they are about any subject are the ones to watch on that very subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭trashcan

Or, the left tends towards thinking about the greater good, and the right tends towards the "I'm alright Jack" dog eat dog, survival of the fittest model.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Hardly. There are plenty of left ideologies (4th wave feminism for instance) who don’t want to criminalise prostitution.

Libertarians aren’t the right anyway. Outside of the US they aren’t any kind of force, and there a minimal one. You get fairly libertarian economic theories under thatcher but she’s also bringing in clause 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Obvious Otter

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

The left, although I hate using that word as it’s a massive generalisation, tend to believe in government intervention to force their view points onto others under the guise of ‘progressive liberalism’.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I thought he threw a tantrum and deleted his Twitter on principle. So much for that...
    Yeah, seemingly he was going to quit Twitter more than a month ago. Taking his sweet time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Obvious Otter

Hardly. There are plenty of left ideologies (4th wave feminism for instance) who don’t want to criminalise prostitution.

Libertarians aren’t the right anyway. Outside of the US they aren’t really any kind of force, and there a minimal one. You get fairly libertarian economic theories under thatcher but she’s also bringing in clause 8.

Generally the left see it as the exploitation of women and libertarians by their very nature would be far more right than left.

You’re confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭brevity

I think the right leans towards a sense of personal responsibility rather than constantly supporting people. Obviously this can be interpreted in a number of different ways. I don't think there is anything ruthless is suggesting that people, who are fit and able to work, should be working or doing their best to get themselves in a position where they can work.

I'd imagine grants and scholarships arent something that the traditional right would have a problem with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

trashcan wrote: »
    Or, the left tends towards thinking about the greater good, and the right tends towards the "I'm alright Jack" dog eat dog, survival of the fittest model.

If you look at the 2016 general election, the areas where the left gained the most seats, tend to be in Dublin, particularly some of the more disadvantaged parts of the city. Is it your contention that the people who voted for left wing candidates in these areas have the greater good at the fore front of their minds?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

SeanW wrote: »
    You've never seen Seth Meyers. (US "Comedian") his show is basically left-wing propganda (constant G.O.P bashing) masquerading as comedy.

Yeah I dislike left wing American tv shows... They were funny when Obama was president

Generally the left see it as the exploitation of women and libertarians by their very nature would be far more right than left.

You’re confused.

I said that 4th wave feminism (amongst other left wing groups) was pro legalisation. I also said that the right (not libertarians ) was traditionally not socially liberal.

Libertarians don’t matter in Ireland or Europe. Outside of a few weird internet posters there aren’t any. No party, no tendency within a party, no tendency within a subgroup within a party. No libertarian party would ever be formed, if one was ever formed it would lose its deposit in every constituency if it could get enough candidates from their basements to contest. Any Ard Fheis could be held in a snug.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Prune Tracy

That's what the comedian said, according to that poster.
    Big simplistic.
    That's more the left surely?

Advertisement