Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graham Lenihan "no good right wing comedians"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Adam Carolla

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Adam Carolla

He's not any good. Never was.

There must be some good right-wing comedians, but yes, I can't really name any. Eddie Murphy is pretty homophobic, but he was very good back in the day but would he be right-wing? Dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Ronald Reagan said, "If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism."

What we are now seeing in America and indeed the world over is people afraid to express their political views in fear of how others will react. It's a genuine fear and a horrible state of affairs for us all.

Well, he was hardly going to say it would come in the name of the Republican Party, was he?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

GerryDerpy wrote: »
    Idris Elba be black. It is considered a progressive left viewpoint that a black man plays Bond.

Shame as in “so we still have racism in modern Ireland”. No jokes.

I don't give a sh1t what colour he is, he would make an awesome Bond.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

But I'm confused, doesn't this guy support Islamofascism ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

But I'm confused, doesn't this guy support Islamofascism ?

Probably, most leftists do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Just like most right-wingers hate all Muslims.

See, we can all play this game.

RayM wrote: »

Just like most right-wingers hate all Muslims.

See, we can all play this game.
    Well I can say I can't stand Islam as a doctrine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭circadian

How about other religions? As a big bashing leftie I don't really agree with any religious doctrine. I guess that doesn't fit your narrative of "libruls"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,261 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Wibbs wrote: »
    Someone like Bill Burr is very popular and he's not exactly left wing.
    Is he right wing? I don't listen to his podcasts, but heard him as a guest on a few other pods. He seems to dislike parts of both sides. He really dislikes the alt right and definitely dislikes trump. I think he's pretty balanced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

And you hate everyone who practices the religion, like most right-wingers do?

circadian wrote: »

How about other religions? As a big bashing leftie I don't really agree with any religious doctrine. I guess that doesn't fit your narrative of "libruls"
    That would be trying to equate all religions as equal which is patently nonsense, certainly in behaviour in the world as we see everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Possibly because at Mass yesterday I sat with a male either side of me, didn't need to use a separate entrance and wasn't radicalised to kill gays and apostates.

We moved on - they haven't.

So your position of why you don't understand the difference between being pro-Islam vs anti-being-a-dick-to-Muslims is unrelated anecdote about Church?

Mmk, I suppose with that logic, you can conclude anything you like really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Samaris wrote: »
    So your position of why you don't understand the difference between being pro-Islam vs anti-being-a-dick-to-Muslims is unrelated anecdote about Church?

Mmk, I suppose with that logic, you can conclude anything you like really!

Have you ever heard of the widespread sexual abuse of girls in Rotherham by a large gang of Pakistani men? The police and social services were unwilling to report any of the case because they didn't want to be seen as islamophobic. Is that what anti-being-a-dick-to-muslims means?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Have you ever heard of the widespread sexual abuse of girls in Rotherham by a large gang of Pakistani men? The police and social services were unwilling to report any of the case because they didn't want to be seen as islamophobic. Is that what anti-being-a-dick-to-muslims means?

No, that is Being Wrong.

There is a middle ground of treating Muslims (and any other group) as people, with all the rights and responsibilties thereof. For no group to be treated as more or less than another. For people not to have it demanded of them to apologise for the actions of another. I will not apologise for the actions of an Irish person, nor of a woman merely because I have ovaries. Nor will I apologise for the acts of an atheist metely because I'm somewhere around there too. I apologise for and take responsibilty for my own actions. I do not agree with bull**** like calling on Muslims to apologise for what someone else did. That sort of crap is anti-Muslim, to give one example.

Punish those involved. Don't use their religion as an excuse for codswallop is my position.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Arytonblue

Most overtly political comedy is really not that funny unless the comedian has a great delivery or personality. I always found Jon Stewart could be downright hilarious and he essentially did the exact same shtick for well over a decade on the Daily Show. Trevor Noah has taken over, does a lot of similar things and I very rarely even chuckle. My liking for Stewart's Daily Show was mostly because of him. As someone else mentioned any type of preachy political comedy is often just not funny, at least not beyond a momentary chuckle, and certainly not something that could be used as an actual full routine.

George Carlin is something of an exception because his act was kinda unique and came at a very specific place and time. When he really started focusing on politics by the late 80s it came in direct conflict with a certain zeitgeist during an era of conservatism in American culture. He already had a 'rebellious' reputation' and when he launched into his stuff on religion, abortion, death penalty, Reagan etc. with that energy and wit it was really refreshingly brilliant. IMO he was already an incredibly naturally funny guy but he made his political routine work for him. By the early-mid 90s he kinda moved away from some of that stuff and did his fair share of stuff about feminism and the hypocrisies of middle class 'bourgeois' liberals and their attitude towards environmentalism, but his comedy had become far more cultural and social commentary than political by then. Now Carlin certainly had a 'stage persona' that likely didn't fully reflect his own personality and he never came across as 'right-wing' but that's my best answer for the OP. His act wasn't really 'left wing' as much as it was anti-establishment, and I honestly can't really envisage a hardened conservative doing some great stand up because it would just end up being a bunch of lame jokes over how silly liberals/do-gooders/snowflakes/SJW/cucks/insertnewpegorativephrasehere are. Much like its counterpart, without a great personality to back it up, it's just not funny IMO.

Also, Stewart Lee is possibly the only other 'politically focused' comedian that I've ever enjoyed, and I know a lot of certain people despise him etc but I personally enjoy his stuff mostly for his subversion of stand up expectations, his overt self-awareness and his audience interactions. I know some people find that 'pretentious' but whatever, I think he can be very funny. And obviously his act isn't right wing so I probably shouldn't have even brought him up. If someone could do Stewart Lee's style of comedy but reverse the politics it might be at least interesting I think. Having Roy Chubby Brown 'hilarously' go after Muslims, gays or other minorities just gets very old very fast and ends up reminding everone of a drunk uncle on New Year's Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,560 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Cienciano wrote: »
    Is he right wing? I don't listen to his podcasts, but heard him as a guest on a few other pods. He seems to dislike parts of both sides. He really dislikes the alt right and definitely dislikes trump. I think he's pretty balanced.

His act talks about why there are many valid reasons for a man to beat a woman, how he's sick of white people getting guilt tripped for racism in Hollywood movies, and there is generally a lot of feminist baiting. He is obviously joking, but I cant see his act being enjoyed by anyone who thinks US identity politics, 3rd wave feminism and 'safe space' liberalism has something important to contribute to society. They're going to be triggered, a lot.

I think rather than being balanced, he's more accurately described as being a (white) working class comedian: punching up, not down, mocking the great and the good. But ultimately a working class that identified more with Trump than with Clinton.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭circadian

That would be trying to equate all religions as equal which is patently nonsense, certainly in behaviour in the world as we see everyday.

That's merely your opinion. In my opinion, people of all religions are engaged in wars, genocide and general depravity. Look at how the Buddhist s in Myanmar are treating the rohinga. How Orthodox Russians are treating their fellow Christians and Muslim neighbours.

I can whatabout this all day. I believe that all religions are equal, and while they may provide solace and support to the majority of their followers, it only takes a few to tarnish the name. In my own opinion, religions are just an easy tool to call people to arms when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Arytonblue wrote: »
    Most overtly political comedy is really not that funny unless the comedian has a great delivery or personality.

Very true, feel the same about Trevor Noah. Stewart could make me laugh even when I disagreed with him.

I also think satire is the same and that Linehan and Mattews were blessed with Dermot and Ardal as they gave their respective roles bags of humility and charm which I don't think they would have found with many other actors, if any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Sand wrote: »
    His act talks about why there are many valid reasons for a man to beat a woman, how he's sick of white people getting guilt tripped for racism in Hollywood movies, and there is generally a lot of feminist baiting. He is obviously joking, but I cant see his act being enjoyed by anyone who thinks US identity politics, 3rd wave feminism and 'safe space' liberalism has something important to contribute to society. They're going to be triggered, a lot.

I'm not any of the bolded stuff but I am broadly left-wing and I think he's hilarious. The only time I ever rolled my eyes at bit at him was when he put pretty much none of the responsibility on the famous cheaters of the last few years such as Tiger Woods, the whole "these are great men" thing. Yeah, that doesn't preclude them from keeping it in their pants, no matter how many skanks surround them. :pac: And it was a comedy bit but it was pretty clear that's what he really thought.
    I think rather than being balanced, he's more accurately described as being a (white) working class comedian: punching up, not down, mocking the great and the good.

His father is a dentist, his mother a nurse, he's college-educated and when starting off in comedy, he was able to work as a technician for his father to supplement his income. In terms of upbringing and education, he is not working class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I think rather than being balanced, he's more accurately described as being a (white) working class comedian: punching up, not down, mocking the great and the good. But ultimately a working class that identified more with Trump than with Clinton.

he plays a more everyman character I guess, some of his gags revolve around him having to go to brunch with his girlfriend so that quite urbanite.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Not a comedian per se but Bill Maher is hilarious.

Yeah he has some insufferable guests - Sunday was Chelsea Handler who walked right on and went "we need more women elected".

No we need better politicians who care more about everyone - not just the top and bottom of society and f**king over the rest of us in the middle, what's between their legs or who they sleep with is unimportant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,970 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Not a comedian per se but Bill Maher is hilarious.
    Someone should tell him that, him and the people who go to his sold-out stand-up gigs ... :pac:

I don't have a strong opinion on this matter, and I find it harder to pigeonhole comedians as strictly right- or left-wing. Take Bill Burr, for example: there are threads on Reddit asking "is he left wing or right wing?", and the answer seems to be that he's more anti-authoritarian, regardless of which party happens to be the "authority" at the time. He went on Conan O'Brien (pretty left wing) to say that Trump is untouchable ... and no-one got offended because it was funny.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

bnt wrote: »
    Someone should tell him that, him and the people who go to his sold-out stand-up gigs ... :pac:

Sorry you know what I mean - he is hilarious imho - but his programme I've been watching he's more serious/satirical.

I'll have to watch a stand up gig of his online - I imagine it's a gas!!! Cheers for the heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Left wing nowadays seems to be fashionable - popular even! If I was a comedian I know what side I'd be on if I wanted to make money.

circadian wrote: »

That's merely your opinion. In my opinion, people of all religions are engaged in wars, genocide and general depravity. Look at how the Buddhist s in Myanmar are treating the rohinga. How Orthodox Russians are treating their fellow Christians and Muslim neighbours.

I can whatabout this all day. I believe that all religions are equal, and while they may provide solace and support to the majority of their followers, it only takes a few to tarnish the name. In my own opinion, religions are just an easy tool to call people to arms when needed.
    No, all religions are not equal. Islam in the world today is by far the most oppressive and violent ideology which exists. It's a false equivalency to think Christianity in the 21st century is the same as Islam, the evidence doesn't show that for the sheer amount of terrorism committed under the name of Islam.

No, all religions are not equal. Islam in the world today is by far the most oppressive and violent ideology which exists. It's a false equivalency to think Christianity in the 21st century is the same as Islam, the evidence doesn't show that for the sheer amount of terrorism committed under the name of Islam.

I was actually told - by a Muslim male I have authority over - "if you were in my country, you wouldn't even dare speak to me - let alone ask me to do something".

Yeah. Enlightened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,044 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

In fairness, Obama doesn't have glaring flaws the same way that Bush and Trump do. The man obviously is not perfect but comparing him to the latter two in terms of scope for ridicule is a bit ridiculous.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

In fairness, Obama doesn't have glaring flaws the same way that Bush and Trump do. The man obviously is not perfect but comparing him to the latter two in terms of scope for ridicule is a bit ridiculous.

Obama did more to destabilize our part of the world than Bush ever did. That's enough for him to be ridiculed in my eyes

Time will tell on Trump and foreign policy

Advertisement