Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graham Lenihan "no good right wing comedians"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

20Cent wrote: »
    Intolerant fanatic of what?

Anybody who dares disagree with him. Look at his twatter page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Many, even most comedians are politically incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Anybody who dares disagree with him. Look at his twatter page.

He doesn't suffer fools gladly. Fair play to him, the amount of time I've wasted trying to reason with some gob****e when a simple f off speeds things up greatly.

Hardly intolerant or a fanatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Prune Tracy

He doesn't suffer fools gladly
    That can cross over to just being a deeply unpleasant, cantankerous person to anyone.

Many years back, on this site, in another life of mine here, there was a moderator whom people said was great because he didn't suffer fools and was straight talking yadda yadda - when the non sycophantic types would be just "Eh... he's a narky, thin-skinned bully :confused:".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Political correctness has become a hobby horse for the right in the past 30 years or so, and an easy source of clickbait for tabloid rags, but it's nothing new.

PC is as old as human history.

What has changed is the backdrop against which PC is measured.

The Jim Davidson's and all that were within the bounds of political correctness at one point in time, and if you go further back, PC swings more towards racial segregation, homophobia and so on, because the backdrop that society was functioning against was Christian, straight and white with tradionalist views on the family, gender roles and all the other things that go along with that.

As far as comedy goes, I generally find that preachy comedy, even if I agree with the message, is uninventive, boring and lacking any intelligence. It's weak point-scoring aimed at the baying masses, who have no capacity or desire to have their beliefs challenged.

Comedy is a good barometer for PC because you can see what topics are seen as safe.
    There'll always be bland goop like Michael McIntyre, but there'll also be preaching to the choir, which is perhaps more pronounced in the States than on this side of the water given the existence of such partisan media channels, but still exists here and in the UK - I don't watch Russell Howard because he's a **** comedian, but perhaps he's an example.

The reason there's no good right wing comedy is the same reason there's no good anything-wing comedy. It's because it's ****e aimed at people who aren't interested in comedy.

Good comedians can make fun of people or things on their own merits and not just because which team they're on. The likes of Matt and Trey, whether you agree with the execution of their jokes, understand this with the equal-opportunities offensiveness of their comedy in South Park and they're not the only ones.
    I saw someone complain about the BBC and undoubtedly in my mind the BBC has a left wing slant, but it has a good tradition of subversiveness and self-reflection and you can see how in shows like HIGNFY everyone gets attacked.

It's incredibly important to fight against PC because unless ideas challenged we can't know if they're worthwhile.
    That doesn't just mean blandly spurting racist bollocks though.

The Man has changed but there's still plenty of people who are nominally on the left and right who challenge the it.

If you can easily tell which wing they're on, they're probably not really doing that. They're either scoring cheap points and stealing a living, or they're having a tantrum on stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

He doesn't suffer fools gladly. Fair play to him,

He must find his own company intolerable so.

He's the classic bedwetter who wouldn't say boo to a ghost in real life but give's it socks on twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I agree. But can boards.ie have the same policy for ramming a Donald Trump 'joke' into every single thread?

It's a boring cringe-fest at this stage.

Edit: See above post as an example.

Yep, same applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

He's back in 'Toilet Town'?

glinn.jpg

I'm not a fan of Linehan's persona but I don't disagree with him on some of those points, like the Trump one. And that guy Cernovich is horrific.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

You want humour?

The left wing say they're against segregation yet are in favour if Islam which is all about segregation.

Baaadum tsshhh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

I'm not a fan of Linehan's persona but I don't disagree with him on some of those points, like the Trump one. And that guy Cernovich is horrific.

What's horrific about Cernovic?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

What's horrific about Cernovic?

Never heard of him but going by his wiki page he sounds like an utter cnunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I can think of plenty of non politically correct comedians - from Larry David, to Seinfeld, to Chris Rock.

Since it’s impossible for this thread to define the right wing (a poster just called politically correct beliefs conservative) I doubt we are going to find a solution.

Certainly I can’t think of any very religious conservative comedians.

Some non-PC comedians will be left-wing too though. Being un-PC is practically a prerequisite for becoming a comedian.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Responding to OP:
    First name that I thought of was PJ O'Rourke. His masterpiece of "Holidays in Hell", a tour of the world's disaster areas, was tragi-comedy at its best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Billy Connolly's lines always stuck with me...

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.”

"Don't vote. It just encourages them....”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Graham Linehan is a petulant, bitter, angry little man who has become a self-important windbag who is not afraid to whip up his twitter sheep to bully anyone that dares to disagree with him.

An absolute tosser.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,560 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Given the media and social bubbles people live in, its hardly surprising Graham Linehan can believe there is no good right wing comedians. Even were he to encounter one, they would be swiftly blocked and he would retreat back to the safety of the known and the comfortable. In time he would convince himself the encounter never even happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    I still don't know what it means to be left wing or right wing.
    Anyone else?

It is very clear.

I was in the welfare the other day and this one demanded to know what I'd been doing to find a job.

A right nazi bitch she was.

George Orwell warned of this kind of thing in 1984.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

People aren't fond of comedians"punching down" with humour.
    If some upperclass lad from D4 was taking the piss out of people from ballymun it would be considered offensive rather than funny. If someone from ballymun takes the piss out of ballymun its funny.

So the lower down on the scale you are the more things there are you can poke fun at. People from poorer backgrounds tend to be economically left leaning. Combine the two and you have left wing comedians all over the place.

One of the many, many reasons I despise Amy Schumer. Despite being oh so progressive and feminist she uses the circumstances of the people less well off than her as a source of humour. Might be forgiveable but she's from a wealthy family.

topper75 wrote: »
    It is very clear.

I was in the welfare the other day and this one demanded to know what I'd been doing to find a job.

What's wrong with her asking that? No, George Orwell warned about far, far worse stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

He's not really a comedian though he writes comedy. It's not his job to amuse us all the time like a court jester. Quite like him. No nonsense and straight talking.

Anyone find a funny right winger yet?

Although not usually a stand up comedian, here is one Anthony (antwan) Cumia.
    You'll find Anthony's views can at times be ... a tad intolerant.

Be it his open discrimination towards the black community ... which he will justify, his love of guns (of which he has a great deal, often on his person), or his references to ''pissy eyed f*gg**s'', Anthony is an all round charmer, and cares for your opinion.

Really though, one of the funniest fckers ever. Mancrushing for a year now.

(also he's not a big fan of Obama, feminists, or Muslims. He's fine with white western male nra members however)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

You want humour?

The left wing say they're against segregation yet are in favour if Islam which is all about segregation.

Baaadum tsshhh.

Which left would this be?
    The imaginary one?

I have my doubts that many actual left wing people would be pro any extreme religious point of view that goes contrary to basic values of fairness, human rights, equality and so on.

When you start to take either the left or the right to very far extremes you arrive at forms of authoritarianism in both cases.

The best societies tend to be more pragmatic ones.

Sand wrote: »
    Given the media and social bubbles people live in, its hardly surprising Graham Linehan can believe there is no good right wing comedians. Even were he to encounter one, they would be swiftly blocked and he would retreat back to the safety of the known and the comfortable. In time he would convince himself the encounter never even happened.

Throw up some videos of all these comedians, or name them or something Share the humour!

greencap wrote: »
    Although not usually a stand up comedian, here is one Anthony (antwan) Cumia.
    You'll find Anthony's views can at times be ... a tad intolerant.

Be it his open discrimination towards the black community ... which he will justify, his love of guns (of which he has a great deal, often on his person), or his references to ''pissy eyed f*gg**s'', Anthony is an all round charmer, and cares for your opinion.

Really though, one of the funniest fckers ever. Mancrushing for a year now.

(also he's not a big fan of Obama, feminists, or Muslims. He's fine with white western male nra members however)

Celebrating Hitlers birthday, gas man. Sounds like a parody of what a lefty thinks a rightwing comedian is.
    Looks like the left wing media have censored him now though.
    Left wing Daily Mail report about it.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2679686/Radio-host-unleashes-racist-Twitter-tirade-punched-face-black-woman-Times-Square.html

Anthony Cumia claimed on Twitter on Wednesday that a woman attacked him when he caught her in a frame while taking photos
    He branded her a 'c***', an 'animal b****' and a 'savage' and said that he hoped one of her 'home boys' killed her
    He insisted he was not racist, saying 'there is a deep seeded problem with violence in the black community' that no one talked about
    SiriusXM, on which he hosted a show for 20 years, said that the rant was 'abhorrent' and that he has been fired

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

You want humour?

Baaadum tsshhh.

There's a subtle difference (actually not that subtle) between "pro-Islam" and "anti-being-a-dick-to-Muslims". For instance, I dislike organised religion. I don't like Islam, particularly some of its notions about women, gay people and its intense social conservatism. I don't like Catholicism much either, particularly some of its notions about women, gay people and its social conservatism. Yes, Catholicism has been neutered to some extent and can't kill people anymore in most countries where it is a majority religion. Great, that is an improvement.

Now for the tricky bit; this does not mean I agree with being a dick to either lot or imposing legal restrictions on their beliefs (bar the specific cases where those beliefs lead to imposing restrictions on others - i.e mistreating gay people.)

Really don't know why this position is so hard to grasp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Samaris wrote: »
    There's a subtle difference (actually not that subtle) between "pro-Islam" and "anti-being-a-dick-to-Muslims". For instance, I dislike organised religion. I don't like Islam, particularly some of its notions about women, gay people and its intense social conservatism. I don't like Catholicism much either, particularly some of its notions about women, gay people and its social conservatism. Yes, Catholicism has been neutered to some extent and can't kill people anymore in most countries where it is a majority religion. Great, that is an improvement.

Now for the tricky bit; this does not mean I agree with being a dick to either lot or imposing legal restrictions on their beliefs (bar the specific cases where those beliefs lead to imposing restrictions on others - i.e mistreating gay people.)

Really don't know why this position is so hard to grasp.

Possibly because at Mass yesterday I sat with a male either side of me, didn't need to use a separate entrance and wasn't radicalised to kill gays and apostates.

We moved on - they haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Celebrating Hitlers birthday, gas man. Sounds like a parody of what a lefty thinks a rightwing comedian is.
    Looks like the left wing media have censored him now though.
    Left wing Daily Mail report about it.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2679686/Radio-host-unleashes-racist-Twitter-tirade-punched-face-black-woman-Times-Square.html

Anthony Cumia claimed on Twitter on Wednesday that a woman attacked him when he caught her in a frame while taking photos
    He branded her a 'c***', an 'animal b****' and a 'savage' and said that he hoped one of her 'home boys' killed her
    He insisted he was not racist, saying 'there is a deep seeded problem with violence in the black community' that no one talked about
    SiriusXM, on which he hosted a show for 20 years, said that the rant was 'abhorrent' and that he has been fired

Ah yes, that's our Antwan.

The good news is that after his 'misunderstanding' Anthony went on to found his own independent show, which he now co-hosts with, ex-Howard Stern regular, Artie Lange.

Anthony's racism and right wingedness is misunderstood by many. I mean yes he's a racist, but he's a nice racist, and was very friendly with his black co-host for many years.

He's got no problem with the gay community, or the Jewish, who he often expresses affection for. And will date black women, although not marry.

He just likes to keep lots of guns, and live near whites and Jews.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

topper75 wrote: »
    It is very clear.

This might actually be the funniest thing in this thread lol

Advertisement