Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graham Lenihan "no good right wing comedians"

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I thought he threw a tantrum and deleted his Twitter on principle. So much for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭tigger123

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/931880210257141765

Is funny now filtered through a political prism?

Most comedians are libetarians I would have thought.

Jim Davidson and Bernard Mathews are the only two right wing comedians I can think of. Both horrendously ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

I'm pretty sure right wing people working in the entertainment industry keep their opinions to themselves out of fear. Same as a lot of us to be honest. Ballot box is the only place you can be honest these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,122 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Seems a bit of an excuse that comedians would be "scared" into keeping quiet. Real comedians aren't scared of a bit of backlash. If you're genuinely funny, someone will pay you to get up on stage and be funny regardless of your political slant and people will buy tickets to watch you.

If you're controversial and you piss people on the opposite side of the political specturm off, it's a bonus.

That said, I disagree: Donald Trump is ****ing hilarious. So was Sarah Pailn.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Someone like Bill Burr is very popular and he's not exactly left wing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

There are definitely factors at play that keep right wing people out of the media other than Fox News. The Entertainment industry is a bastion of left leaning "progressive" thinking.

He may have a point in so far as those on the left tend to be more sarcastic,cynical, insincere, crass and more given to whinging which lends itself more to comedy than the traits of people on he right. Mockery and tearing at the fabric of society gets more laughs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Wings. Fûck wings. Comedians should tell jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭brevity

The wings seemingly have gone to extremes these days.

Just because someone is left wing doesn't mean they are a tree hugger and "soft on crime" and if someone is right wing doesn't mean they are a Nazi.

There are a lot of noble values in both conservative and liberal mindsets, people just don't want to engage each other anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Wibbs wrote: »

He is the funniest comedian around. And he doesn't seem like he has weird sex issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Ronald Reagan said, "If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism."

What we are now seeing in America and indeed the world over is people afraid to express their political views in fear of how others will react. It's a genuine fear and a horrible state of affairs for us all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

tigger123 wrote: »
    Jim Davidson and Bernard Mathews are the only two right wing comedians I can think of. Both horrendously ****e.

Did you mean Bernard Manning? The other guy was stuffing Turkeys - probably quite funny in its own way though probably not a barrel of laughs for the Turkeys

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Ronald Reagan said, "If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism."

What we are now seeing in America and indeed the world over is people afraid to express their political views in fear of how others will react. It's a genuine fear and a horrible state of affairs for us all.

Yes, you are right. There is a massive gap between what popular culture and media wants you to believe, and what people think at home when all the noise has stopped.

By far the most prominent one at the moment is left wing feminist hysteria. One might laugh, by these are very, very dangerous people indeed.

BillyBobBS wrote: »

The problem with conservative viewpoints I have is that they sometimes tend to be more an attack on the left than an expression of right-wing ideals, I's just loony left this, soft touch left that; and I'm supposed to take this as a comprehensive well-thought-out viewpoint.

myshirt wrote: »
    By far the most prominent one at the moment is left wing feminist hysteria. One might laugh, by these are very, very dangerous people indeed.

That said, I would totally agree with this: but I've had several occasions where I've had to point out the fourth-wave feminism and liberalism are actually not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

The problem with conservative viewpoints I have is that they sometimes tend to be more an attack on the left than an expression of right-wing ideals, I's just loony left this, soft touch left that; and I'm supposed to take this as a comprehensive well-thought-out viewpoint.
    You've never seen Seth Meyers. (US "Comedian") his show is basically left-wing propganda (constant G.O.P bashing) masquerading as comedy.

SeanW wrote: »
    You've never seen Seth Meyers. (US "Comedian") his show is basically left-wing propganda (constant G.O.P bashing) masquerading as comedy.

True, I haven't but you've done nothing to counter my point. What exactly does he say? What are examples of his propoganda? Does he just show up and say "right wing, huh?" and get a few lsughs?

You're presenting this as fact and expecting me to go off and watch a few youtube clips (which I don't have time for or access to right now), I presume, without even giving me examples of what he has said that ilustrate your point.

Are you judging his show purely based on his political stance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The right wing tend to be flummoxed by humour anyway. God won't let them laugh except in that "yuk yuk yuk ye-haw" way if someone falls over on the ice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Graham Lenihan seems so bitter these days.

Dunno. It's probably hard to be funny... and be a nazi.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I did not know Graham Lenihan existed before this thread.
    I will go back to not caring about him after I browse away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

There are definitely factors at play that keep right wing people out of the media other than Fox News. The Entertainment industry is a bastion of left leaning "progressive" thinking.

He may have a point in so far as those on the left tend to be more sarcastic,cynical, insincere, crass and more given to whinging which lends itself more to comedy than the traits of people on he right. Mockery and tearing at the fabric of society gets more laughs.

Haha, Humourless and bitter, a winning combo on the right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

Wibbs wrote: »

Well he's not right wing either

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I'm not a fan of dividing everyone into left and right political camps. As someone said earlier many comedians would be regarded as more libertarian. Its part of a wider trend taking in identity politics and tagging people as white male, straight white male, people of colour non binary this and that etc.

That's mostly because artists (not just conedians) tend to be expressive and that means liberal thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

It seems all the right do these days is whinge about being downtrodden by the liberal elites. Doesn't exactly make good comedy.

And they call the left snowflakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

biko wrote: »
    I did not know Graham Linehan existed before this thread.
    I will go back to not caring about him after I browse away.

What? Fr Ted, Black Books, IT Crowd, Motherland, Count Arthur Strong. Where have you been since about 1994?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

What? Fr Ted, Black Books, IT Crowd, Motherland, Count Arthur Strong. Where have you been since about 1994?

Don't forget his masterpiece Val Falvey TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I still don't know what it means to be left wing or right wing.
    Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    I still don't know what it means to be left wing or right wing.
    Anyone else?

Left wing care about others.
    Right wing only care about yourself fcuk everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

Was at a gig recently where the comedian asked for a show of hands from those who think Idris Elba should play James Bond. He then shamed those who didn’t show hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,940 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

GerryDerpy wrote: »
    Was at a gig recently where the comedian asked for a show of hands from those who think Idris Elba should play James Bond. He then shamed those who didn’t show hands.

Long show was it?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Advertisement