Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the mind believes the Body achieves!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Delighted with how things are going for you N. You’d better start thinking of safer nighttime routes for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Delighted with how things are going for you N. You’d better start thinking of safer nighttime routes for yourself.

I know, but hopefully, I can get back out on to the roads so I have loads of choices rather than limited to only a few routes I can use.

I hope it stays this way now K, I am so much better than I was no more stabbing pain and feel like I have a pep in my step compared to a few weeks ago

Baby75 wrote: »
    I know, but hopefully, I can get back out on to the roads so I have loads of choices rather than limited to only a few routes I can use.

I hope it stays this way now K, I am so much better than I was no more stabbing pain and feel like I have a pep in my step compared to a few weeks ago

Is it that you are trying to stay on soft ground? Any GAA pitches that would have training most nights around?

Is it that you are trying to stay on soft ground? Any GAA pitches that would have training most nights around?

yea I am to stick to the soft ground, for now, I have one across the road to me but they lock the gates and you can not get in so I can not depend on it.

I keep meaning to update, but life and getting caught up in the lead up to DCM even though I was out supporting :D which I loved, I had a great day following my hubby and my fellow DCM 17 grads you all did amazing so happy for you all and it was great meeting so many in McGrattans after the Marathon.

I will just do a quick one tonight but I am back on to the road no problems well no major ones

The plan so far has been increasing time on feet for 2 runs at start and end of the week and then pulling back before moving forward again, I am still cycling away and went back to spin class last week. Still doing 3 S&C of about 25 minutes a week.

I have a 10k entry to the gingerbread in about 4 weeks time and I am really looking forward to it, it will not be pretty and no PB chasing for me! I actually do not care I just want to start and finish I will have no time in mind just going to run it by how I feel :D

• Advertisement

Making good progress so far and hoping it continues :)

Week 22-28 October

Monday 22/10
    A short cycle 48 minutes

Tuesday 23/10
    S&C
    Run 31 minutes ( 5km) a nice run with my hubby :) all good and all within comfort zone

Wednesday 24/10
    spin class 57 minutes, I got the go-ahead to try a spin class again loved it a great class such a pity when I get back the club closed in a matter of days a huge loss to so many it was a fantastic club :(
    I felt a little discomfort on the outside of my Achilles/ ankles which I never felt before which worried me a little but chatted to physio and he reassured me all was ok

Thursday 25/10
    S&C
    Run 25 mins easy (3.7km)
    Again al good but feeling a little more discomfort again on the outside of ankles
    ( weird)

So decided to rest for 2 days and look forward to cycling around Dublin for DCM :)

Sunday 28/10
    Cycle nice and easy one following the Marathon, I got very cold in Phenoix park first time ever I was looking forward to a hill to get the blood pumping LOL I have noticed my Achilles do not like it when I am standing around in the cold and let me know it, once I got warm again I was fine!! weird.

Week 29/10 - 4/11

Monday rest

Tuesday 30/10
    S&C core
    Run 35 minutes (5.2 km) went out with hubby meeting the crew from the club that has closed down and ran with one of my running buddies J which was great I was so happy to run with her again she is also doing the gingerbread run so we can run it together :D all good but really felt the cold when we finished

Wednesday rest
    I would have liked to cycle but decided to rest

Thursday 1/11
    S&C
    Run 38 mins ( 5.8km)
    Solo run before a busy evening and I really enjoyed it legs felt very fresh and had to watch the pace

Saturday 3/11
    S&C
    Run 45 mins (7km) my longest run in a long time :D So happy with myself LOL even better I had no discomfort major milestone in my book.

Sunday 4/11
    Cycle 1 hour 11 mins, beautiful morning out and really enjoyed being out on the bike.

2 weeks to the gingerbread 10k and had to giggle at coach's note on my schedule for race day '' please don't run as fast as you can''

Great to see a nice newsy update - as in all good news.

So what way will you run the Gingerbread?

Great to see a nice newsy update - as in all good news.

So what way will you run the Gingerbread?

It made a nice change to worry about pacing rather than injury or pain this week :D

I am not sure friends want to run it sub 60 minutes I might stick with them they have pacers as well but I will see how it goes I will be good and do what I am told though lol I am not going to chance setting anything off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Delighted to read that things are going well for you.

I am doing the Gingerbread too but will probably walk it with my daughter. It's a great event.

gypsylee wrote: »
    Delighted to read that things are going well for you.

I am doing the Gingerbread too but will probably walk it with my daughter. It's a great event.

Ah hopefully I see you there, I loved it last year I ran the half :D I did not sign up but my friend registered and decided to go to Liverpool and she gave me the entry I am really looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

oops a little slack on updating but it has been a very busy 2 weeks

Nov 5 - 11
    This week was a step back week with 3 shorter runs and I went out with a local running group and some friends which was nice but avg pace was faster than I would like and even slowed down and let everyone go on.
    Also cycled and 3 S&C

This week ;
    So far two runs this week and after my first run, I got a nice reminder to slow down from Skyblue ;) so on that note, I made sure I took it nice and easy on Thursday 30 minutes :) and I am feeling good although a little nervous for the 10k tomorrow I know I can do it and I got the go-ahead to push the pace a little but won't be going all out race pace.
    Need to catch up on S&C slacking this week :eek:

Baby75 wrote: »
    oops a little slack on updating but it has been a very busy 2 weeks

Nov 5 - 11
    This week was a step back week with 3 shorter runs and I went out with a local running group and some friends which was nice but avg was faster than I would like and even slowed down and let everyone go on.
    Also cycled and 3 S&C

This week ;
    So far two runs this week and after my first run, I got a nice reminder to slow down from Skyblue ;) so on that note, I made sure I took it nice and easy on Thursday 30 minutes :) and I am feeling good although a little nervous for the 10k tomorrow I know I can do it and I got the go-ahead to push the pace a little but won't be going all out race pace.
    Need to catch up on S&C slacking this week :eek:

It’s really great to see you coming back. Have a great day tomorrow.

It’s really great to see you coming back. Have a great day tomorrow.

Thanks, K :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Great progress N. Good luck today!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Enjoy today!

Gingerbread 10k

My first 10K race post-injury :)

Woke up feeling good ate my breakfast and we got ready to hit the road picking up some friends coming with us, so as soon as I sat in the car nerves hit and felt a little sick which stuck with me for most of the day. after number pickup & many toilet breaks, we lined up at the start.

The race itself:
    It was a beautiful morning maybe even a little warm for a race, we headed out and started to walk with everyone to the start on a hill no less which would be a common theme for most of the race, I feel like this race is in two parts 1-7km and then 7-10k

1-7km
    I was running with my friend and we both decided to take it handy as I had read it was very hilly for the first 5k thankfully my tummy settled and nerves eased, we enjoyed some chats with everyone around us, lots of up and thankfully some nice downhills felt comfortable and pace felt easy and was happy I wasn't gasping when we reached the top of a hill.

I started to feel very hot and regretted not wearing shorts, I was so happy to see the water station at 5km at the top of another hill :D No more hills yay or so we thought :eek: lovely downhill and cheers from around us that the worst was over with LOL My friend was feeling it and I reassured her that taking it easy now would help us in the last 3k and we could pass those runners that went out to fast which is always a nice mental boost when you feel strong at the end of a race.

I started to lose my friend I slowed down to a walk to check on her and call her on and low and behold more hills we ran over a bridge where a poor marshal was dealing with abuse from a young guy in a car. a sharp turn left and more uphill LOL which I was delighted when lots started to walk and I could pick it up if I wanted I felt great no tired legs no niggles no worry over my Achilles they felt fine.

7km
    It was around here I lost my friend, I looked back for her and she was gone felt bad as we had hoped to stick together I reached the top of the last hill and decided to pick up the pace, I had no clue what pace I was actually doing so just concentrated on picking someone catching them and passing them out it felt really good we ended up on a narrow country road with grass growing up the middle so I knew it was close to the finish. so upped the pace again and was even able for a sprint finish :) felt sick as soon as I stopped but kept moving and jogged slowly back out to meet my friend and ran back through with her.

Overall I am one happy bunny, I think I had a hell of a lot more in the tank and legs held up great even though it was hilly I loved it, it was a great route.

The only problem I had was a bit of a dodgy tummy and rotten pain in my head but I am feeling a little better now I am looking forward to a nice dinner.

can not wait for Clonakilty now hoping all going well I can break 60minutes and eventually get back to my PB or below it :)

Ah it’s so good to see a race report from you after so many months and a really positive one too. Roll on Clonakilty!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Well done on a great race yesterday. I was there in a supporting capacity. A lot of complaints from people about the change of route and the hills! Delighted to see you back at it.

gypsylee wrote: »
    Well done on a great race yesterday. I was there in a supporting capacity. A lot of complaints from people about the change of route and the hills! Delighted to see you back at it.

Thanks, Gypsylee, I heard that myself some I think got a surprise with the hills I did enjoy them though :D I think a lot of people classed it as a PB route before and now I guess you can not :D

I will be back I love the Gingerbread run, we had fun chatting with other runners and I was just happy to be out running :)

I think my quads are feeling a little tender now after all the downhill running yesterday, makes a nice change :)

Ah it’s so good to see a race report from you after so many months and a really positive one too. Roll on Clonakilty!!!

I am really looking forward to it and with working on some speed work I can improve a little between now and then. Liam assures me it will come back and it won't be long till I am back where I once was :D

I can finally say I'm back :D at last.... but still being careful lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Brilliant to hear you sounding so confident, all the months of patience really paid off. I’m delighted for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Great, glad to see it went well and you enjoyed it.

Well done.

I took a little bit of a step back week this week and just being extra careful as I was a little worried about my old injury resurfacing again.
    19-25 November

Monday rest
    feeling good and delighted to have no discomfort in my Achilles a tiny bit of soreness in my quads after the downs hills on Sunday, chatted to Coach he was very pleased with my pacing and warned I might feel some discomfort tomorrow and we could adjust the plan for the week if needed.

Tuesday
    S&C band work ( band clock, in out taps, circles, bridge with band knees in and out repeats, upwards donkey kicks and Band walks)
    Run planned 35 mins easy ( 5km AVG pace 6.49) I really must change to miles :cool:
    Dropped down to the club to meet my old running buddies but they bailed because of the rain (I should have checked the whats app group) :D
    It worked out well as, to be honest, they are flying and it would have been faster than I would have liked or been able for. so ran with two others I know and they stuck with me.

I could feel a little discomfort again but only slightly and still in the safe zone but still, more than I liked eek!!

Wednesday
    Rest
    still feeling a tiny bit of discomfort not really in my Achilles but above them in the Soleus muscle more on the inside, it was not constant no stiffness and wore off throughout the day.

Thursday
    S&C core ( heel bridge in out tap, side plank twists left & right, mountain climber twists, high plan /low plank, plank with leg lifts 2-second hold)

Run 35 mins ( 5min Z1, 5 mins Z2, 15 mins Z3, 5 mins Z2, 5 mins Z1)
    Really trying to be true to my self and get the paces right and I did not want to mess up my pacing at the start of this and end up to fast. I think I nailed it I felt I was under pressure in Zone 3 but not to the point I was spent I felt I could have kept that pace up for longer.
    Z1 avg 7.12
    Z2 avg 6.38
    Z3 avg 6.00 ( I think )

Legs are feeling much better but still a little niggly

Friday Rest
    No more niggles

Saturday
    Cycle with Carlow road cycling group 51 KM in 2 hours 2 minutes
    Lovely morning and a great experience I learnt a lot riding in a big group but the pace was very fast we stuck with them for an hour and went with another group back to start. just as well as my legs lost all power LOL it was like bonking but in every other way I felt great just lost all speed. I was working hard for the first half of the cycle so I am not surprised and I should have started fueling earlier. my fastest 50k great chats when we finished
    Also no more niggles :)

Sunday
    S&C Advanced hip strength which entails lots of side planks ( I hate them ) clams/ reverse clams, side lying bent knee abduction left and right and band walks

Run planned 25 mins Zone 1 actual nothing I decided to rest. my legs feel good but a very bad night sleep and the fact my cycle the day previous was hard. I decided to skip it and start nice and fresh for Tuesday and stay on track for Clon in 2 weeks time

In other news, we went along to the end of season meet up of the IMRA Southeast Leinster League for a chat and prize giving in which I got a lovely surprise a lovely present for all the volunteering I did over the season :) I am looking forward to my go at RD in March 2019

Well done N. You are great at doing all the S&C. Roll on Clonakilty. I’m dying for it.

Well done N. You are great at doing all the S&C. Roll on Clonakilty. I’m dying for it.

So am I K, I just got great feedback from Liam as well, he is very happy with how I managed the week this was an important one after the GB10k and I am good to go for progressing this week :D

Feeling great so looking forward my runs this week not so much to the S&C which he has made harder :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Congrats on the prize!

I'm a fellow hater of side planks. They're awful things.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Congrats on the prize!

I'm a fellow hater of side planks. They're awful things.

They are horrible, ooh and the Russian twist another one to the horrible exercise list LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Great week N, glad to hear there’s no more niggles! Can’t wait for Clonakilty either!

Another good week with a little hiccup :)

Week 26/11/18 - 02/12/18

Monday rest

Tuesday
    Run tempo (7km) 45 mins
    38 mins (5 mins zone 1, 5 mins zone 2, 18 mins zone 3, 5 mins zone 2, 5 mins zone 1)
    fairly happy with my pacing it was more running by effort than watching a certain pace on my watch. I went out with the local running club and I am sure they all thought I was bonkers going out so slow :D but I let them go and caught up nicely as I increased my pace to tempo effort. I was able to run with one of the girls for most of it telling her to go on when I had to slow down.ended up running a little longer to get to a loo :o it was a very very close call :eek:
    Legs were feeling it when I finished a good feeling though

Skipped S&C

Wednesday
    S&C ( band clock 34 reps x 3 sets, in out taps, circles, bridge with band knees in and out repeats, upwards donkey kicks and Band walks) Hard session reps and sets were increased and I noticed on the band clocks and in out taps my lower calf along the outside down Achilles to my heel was niggly after it

Thursday
    S&C Core ( heel bridge in out tap, side plank twists left & right, mountain climber twists, high plank /low plank, plank with leg lifts 5-second hold)
    again a harder workout as reps and sets increased

Run
    planned 40mins ( 5 mins zone 1, 35 mins zone 2, 5 mins zone 1)
    actual 35 mins - 5km
    I cut this run short as I went over on Tuesday and my lower calf was still niggly I was worried when I headed out that my Achilles problems would start all over again. Thankfully all was good and I felt better after the run it loosened out the legs.

Friday & Saturday rest
    I missed getting out on my bike this week but just had no time.
    On Friday while watching the Toy show I had a look at the website that was shared on Skyblue log by hillsiderunner and I gave the Achilles section a go, my calfs felt great after it. I think I will keep up the stretches

Sunday
    S&C = side planks with knee to chest ( still hate them lol ) clams/ reverse clams, side lying bent knee abduction left and right and band walks

Run 50 minutes (5 mins zone 1, 40 mins zone 2, 5 mins zone 1) 7.6km
    really enjoyed this run, I had my hubby company for 5km and then he went on to finish his 15k and I came home.

Looking forward to this week and even more so to Clonakilty and meeting some fellow boards members again :D

• Advertisement

Week 3-10 December

Tuesday
    Tempo run 40 minutes ( 6.29 km )
    5 mins zone 1, 5 mins Zone 2, 20 minutes Zone 3, 5 mins Zone 2, 5 mins zone 1
    Run went great the tempo pace is getting easier but my hands were frozen by the end :cool:
    No S&C tonight we decided to finish painting our Hall instead

Wednesday
    rest

Thursday 42 mins
    Easy run all in zone 1: I really enjoyed this run, it felt really really easy and my legs felt great very fresh. looking forward to meeting up with some of my fellow DCM17 graduates :D no S&C more painting ;)

Friday
    On our way to Clonakilty :)

Saturday
    Clonakilty 10k

After a lovely morning catching up with Ariana, KellyGirl, Leesider, Browneyes
    we gathered in the lobby which was packed and slowly made our way out the door with just maybe a minute to go :D

Ariana, Leesider and I were running the 10k while my hubby was running the full and Kellygirl and Browneyes were running the half marathon.

I had no target or plan in mind apart from seeing how it goes, I was a little nervous as if my old injury was going to act up it would be usually first thing in the morning

The first 3k passed very quickly we ran through the town which was lovely and loads of support pace was quicker than I might have run on my own but I was happy enough, I felt comfortable and was enjoying running with Ariana.
    Out on to the country roads and it was lovely running by the coast but the wind was fun LOL

We hit 5k in 30 minutes which gave me a little boost my quickest since my injury Ariana was pulling ahead but I did not mind at all I was happy to maintain the pace I was running. I told her not to worry if she lost me I was doing ok and was happy to run by myself.

We knew we had a hill around 7k but it felt like it started sooner and when we came to a hill I had a feeling it there was more to come. everyone was very quiet now and working hard lots of walking as we ran uphill I was determined not to walk and was hoping I had a bit of a kick left in me to pick up the pace once I reached the top of the hill and I checked my watch seen 8k and knew max 15 minutes and I was finished which was much quicker than I thought in the end took me 10 minutes

The finish was back in along the road and I was delighted I was feeling ok and could push on I managed to pass a few people checked my watch and I was going to make 60 minutes I just had to hang on

The finish was uphill and the last sprint was.... let's just say it made me feel like I was gonna vomit

The course measured a little long 10.16km 1hr 1 min 33 seconds

Very happy with that 2 mins off the Gingerbread 10k

We then had a lovely day and evening chatting and eating loads all in all a great weekend I even slept in the following morning.

Sunday: cycle 40km
    After breakfast with the girls, my hubby and I went out on a cycle taking in the marathon route it has to be one of the most enjoyable cycles I have been on hills and all of which there were many massive kudos to anyone running them the day before and with strong headwinds :eek: but the views were amazing and just beautiful.

All in all a great weekend, Clonakilty is lovely and people were very friendly there was a great atmosphere and the sausages, black pudding was delicious at the finish line my poor hubby missed out though everything was gone when he came in

Advertisement