Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the mind believes the Body achieves!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

You’re having a rough time lately N, do you think the twist at the 10k did more harm than you originally thought? Have you any running in the plan this week?

Possibly it could have all right, or its a combination of a few things! It has settled nicely but still not good to go on yet! so no running planned this week, I can get out on my bike instead but only if I have zero pain during and afterward.

Week 9

Monday 6/8/18
    Rest
    Eccentric Heel drops
    S&C Dynamic core

Tuesday 7/8/18
    Planned cycle ( actual nothing)
    Eccentric Heel drops
    After chatting with Kellygirl and Skyblue ( thanks so much you two) over runners and which types would be better for issues with Achilles and coming to the conclusion I possibly could be wearing the wrong pair. I decided to go and get a gait analysis in Run Hub. Best decision ever, my heel drop was too low and I was wearing the wrong size:eek: I knew I needed support runners but what surprised me was just because a runner says it is a support one does not mean it will automatically give you the support you need. She was also able to tell me my calfs were a little tight and I had a little weakness in my core and hips which just confirmed what I already knew and have been working on over the last few weeks ( they must have been really bad before I started:eek:)

Wednesday 8/8/18
    Cycle: 40 mins easy slight pain 5 minutes in but nothing after I finished
    Eccentric Heel drops
    Foam rolling
    Feeling a lot better discomfort when walking around is nearly gone

Thursday 9/8/18
    Eccentric Heel drops ( increased weight in the backpack)
    S&C advanced hip strength
    Sent feedback to coach

Friday 10/8/18
    rest
    Eccentric heel drops

Saturday
    Eccentric Heel drops
    S&C expert core ( loved this session )

Sunday
    Cycle 50 mins easy
    Eccentric heel drops
    foam rolling and band work

Overall I am hanging in there! everything has improved a lot but looking like another week of no running which I am ok with I just hope that I will be ok to run again and actually progress and get back to near where I was before.
    I have noticed with the eccentric heel drops, that they have to cause a little discomfort to work so once you can do them without feeling anything then you increase the weight and it feels sore again but that means they are working I am nearly up to the max weight we are stopping at 10% of my body weight and sticking with the heel drops till we hit the 12 week mark so I will increase slowly till then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Gait analysis seems to have cropped up in a log or two this week. Good call. You can point someone your experience if they're in the same boat.

Gait analysis seems to have cropped up in a log or two this week. Good call. You can point someone your experience if they're in the same boat.

It was a huge eye-opener for me anyway :)

So quick recap on
    Week 10/11

Still no running and if I am honest my head was wrecked I was over feeling good one day and for no reason pain the next! rest from running was not helping and I wondered if the rehab exercises were actually helping at all :confused::eek: spoke to the coach and we decided to ditch the weights for the rehab and he worked in a great spreadsheet into my plan so I could record everything into it.

Week 10,
    Monday 13/8/18 to 19/8/18
    Still doing daily eccentric Heel drops with weight
    S&C 3 times a week
    daily band work and lot and lots of foam rolling stretching

Cycled 3 times over the week on my own bike yay and no issues :) I just love my little bike

Sunday 19/8 got the go-ahead for a run and in the interest of clarity, I ran more than coach advised bar a few niggles all good I felt great and strong considering I had not run in the previous 3 weeks! felt a little stiffness later on,
    skipped my eccentrics exercises that morning.

Week 11
    Monday 20/8/18
    Woke up sat at the edge of the bed and wondered if that 11km run was going to come back and bite me in the ass got up and all good, not much stiffness and no pain yay or so I thought anyway. very busy morning meant no time for my rehab exercises that morning.
    Got my first set in at lunchtime sat down for a while went to stand up ah feck pain back :confused: it eased off but niggled all day
    Eccentric heel drops 2 sets as planned
    S&C core
    foam rolling

Tuesday 21/8
    I'm in trouble cannot walk without pain again, do my eccentric heel drops and I am worse after I finish them. in fact, it gets worse as the day goes on I am not a happy bunny at all and it is both legs left and right :eek:
    Sent a message to my coach telling him everything I also made the decision to not do any of the Races I had planned booked and paid for! So no Frank Duffy 10 miler or the half as part of the race series and no DCM this injury is costing a fortune! but massive relief no pressure any more

Wednesday to Sunday
    nothing taking a break from everything and letting the body heal Coach and physio think they know what caused this big set back so this week and possibly next week will see if we are right.

So thankfully everything settles very quickly, by Thursday only a tiny bit of discomfort when walking in the first few minutes but it improved throughout the day and now all is good with only the odd niggle.
    Morning stiffness has really improved and today I managed to walk downstairs like a normal person and not shuffling sideways as I have been doing LOL

Plan for this week
    No running just some easy cycling

I was not sure if I would update, but I was reading older logs and I noticed how some got injured and they vanish come back and start a new log and I did not want to do that! who knows maybe this log will help someone else at least when I finally recover I will have a list of what works and oh importantly what not todo! my main ones at the minute!! check you are wearing the right runners and very important if you are doing eccentric heel drops and are adding weight ( check it first do not assume just because a bottle hold x amount of liquid it will equal x amount of weight) I made that assumption it was a certain weight and overloaded my tendon again.

Anyway cross everything that this is the turning point and soon I can post proper training updates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Baby75 wrote: »
    Tuesday 21/8
    I'm in trouble cannot walk without pain again, do my eccentric heel drops and I am worse after I finish them. in fact, it gets worse as the day goes on I am not a happy bunny at all and it is both legs left and right :eek:
    Sent a message to my coach telling him everything I also made the decision to not do any of the Races I had planned booked and paid for! So no Frank Duffy 10 miler or the half as part of the race series and no DCM this injury is costing a fortune! but massive relief no pressure any more

I am so sorry to hear this. How incredibly frustrating for you. I'm glad it's a relief, though.
    I was not sure if I would update, but I was reading older logs and I noticed how some got injured and they vanish come back and start a new log and I did not want to do that! who knows maybe this log will help someone else at least when I finally recover I will have a list of what works and oh importantly what not todo! my main ones at the minute!! check you are wearing the right runners and very important if you are doing eccentric heel drops and are adding weight ( check it first do not assume just because a bottle hold x amount of liquid it will equal x amount of weight) I made that assumption it was a certain weight and overloaded my tendon again.

Anyway cross everything that this is the turning point and soon I can post proper training updates

Please do continue to update as you feel. I know it can be difficult but we'd miss you around here.

Ah, thanks, Huzzah I will do my best anyway, it won't be the most interesting of logs for a while though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Ah, thanks, Huzzah I will do my best anyway, it won't be the most interesting of logs for a while though!

As you said it might be a help to somebody else some day and it gives you something to focus on as well as keeping you in touch with running in some way too.

You’ll be back soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Most logs are pretty repetitive most of the time in fairness, that's the nature of it, you'd be missed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Sorry to read about the setbacks in your recovery. I wish you a speedy and recovery and hopefully you will come back stronger.

I love reading your logs and you have given me some good advice so please keep posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Ah that's a shame with dropping the races, but you have been fighting this a fair while now and if you're feeling relief, then it certainly seems like the best decision. Hope the recovery goes smoothly, and please do keep us all updated on that :)

gypsylee wrote: »
    Sorry to read about the setbacks in your recovery. I wish you a speedy and recovery and hopefully you will come back stronger.

I love reading your logs and you have given me some good advice so please keep posting.

Thanks, Gypsylee, I will be there to cheer you all on at DCM and in the pub afterwards :D and hopefully next year I will get to run it again

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Ah that's a shame with dropping the races, but you have been fighting this a fair while now and if you're feeling relief, then it certainly seems like the best decision. Hope the recovery goes smoothly, and please do keep us all updated on that :)

I will do and I am feeling positive, I am gutted about not making the start line but relieved as well, no pressure on myself to get the miles in I will just focus on getting stronger and injury free:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

+ 1 to that, you made the right decision on the races, just enjoy your running now when you get back to it and no rush to get back into a training plan etc.

+ 1 to that, you made the right decision on the races, just enjoy your running now when you get back to it and no rush to get back into a training plan etc.

The stress is off now no more worrying about getting the miles in esp long runs and I can still cycle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rururun

The stress is off now no more worrying about getting the miles in esp long runs and I can still cycle :)

It’s no help as I have nowhere near your running experience or commitment but I found any time when was injured cycling really helped so that when I came back running I was almost better than before! This is obvs only short distances that I’ve done so no help to you but strengthening and cross training still feel gteat even if u are forced to take a running break / it’s what got me interested in triathlon! Best of luck with it - I’ll look forward to updates!

Rururun wrote: »
    It’s no help as I have nowhere near your running experience or commitment but I found any time when was injured cycling really helped so that when I came back running I was almost better than before! This is obvs only short distances that I’ve done so no help to you but strengthening and cross training still feel gteat even if u are forced to take a running break / it’s what got me interested in triathlon! Best of luck with it - I’ll look forward to updates!

That is actually why I got a bike in the first place, I had shin splints that also would not go so took a break and cycled instead and I also found the same, I was stronger when I got back running again. much shorter break though LOL

I am actually looking at a few adventure races, some friends are doing the longer distances and I could possibly do the mini if when I get back out running and I have no more issues. I will wait a while though, I am not booking something else to end up not doing it and seeing another entry go to waste :)

mini update

Not much to report :cool:

I had issues with a tight QL and tightness all down to my left knee I had a painful hip and IT band went to physio and well on the mend I took a few day's off cycling but back on the bike again now

As for Achilles resting is not working, tried to restart rehab and left me in pain for 3 days :eek: I was gutted and so disappointed, I had reached a point where stiffness had almost gone and no pain walking around during the day my hopes where high that I would be back running by the end of the week only to be back in the pain cave again:eek:

My heel has also been hurting recently so either something else is going on or I have or always had insertional tendonitis which means the exercise for rehab was making my problem worse not better.

It has also gotten worse in my left leg even though I am not running!! that might be a knock-on effect from my lower back/hip problem.

I am back with physio again to check my Achilles and ankles over, I hope I come away with some answers and can move forward

mini update

Not much to report :cool:

I had issues with a tight QL and tightness all down to my left knee I had a painful hip and IT band went to physio and well on the mend I took a few day's off cycling but back on the bike again now

As for Achilles resting is not working, tried to restart rehab and left me in pain for 3 days :eek: I was gutted and so disappointed, I had reached a point where stiffness had almost gone and no pain walking around during the day my hopes where high that I would be back running by the end of the week only to be back in the pain cave again:eek:

My heel has also been hurting recently so either something else is going on or I have or always had insertional tendonitis which means the exercise for rehab was making my problem worse not better.

It has also gotten worse in my left leg even though I am not running!! that might be a knock-on effect from my lower back/hip problem.

I am back with physio again to check my Achilles and ankles over, I hope I come away with some answers and can move forward

You must be driven nuts over all this. When are you back at the physio?

This might be a stupid question but what if you didn’t do the rehab and just started gentle jogging when you had no pain? What happens then?

Kellygirl wrote: »
    You must be driven nuts over all this. When are you back at the physio?

This might be a stupid question but what if you didn’t do the rehab and just started gentle jogging when you had no pain? What happens then?

No a stupid question at all and one both coach and physio are leaning towards so I could be about to find out this week I hope!!!

Anyway, I have been to physio and he checked everything! no problems with feet, ankles and Achilles seems good but my soleus muscle in both legs were very tight. could it be that simple :eek: we shall see!

No a stupid question at all and one both coach and physio are leaning towards so I could be about to find out this week I hope!!!

Anyway, I have been to physio and he checked everything! no problems with feet, ankles and Achilles seems good but my soleus muscle in both legs were very tight. could it be that simple :eek: we shall see!

Let’s hope for the best so. That sounds positive from the physio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

The Soleus :eek: When Kie started running first, he had shin splints that he could not shake despite numerous trips to the physio and doing every exercise that he was given. Eventually he went to someone else for a second opinion and it wasn't shin splints, it was his soleus.

There's a very specific exercise for the soleus and he improved in two weeks doing the right exercises.

Fingers crossed for you N, you deserve a break at this stage.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Let’s hope for the best so. That sounds positive from the physio.

Yea it is, I was confused as to why the rehab exercises worked for a few weeks and then I steadily got worse again could have been wearing the wrong runners though:confused:

Neady83 wrote: »
    The Soleus :eek: When Kie started running first, he had shin splints that he could not shake despite numerous trips to the physio and doing every exercise that he was given. Eventually he went to someone else for a second opinion and it wasn't shin splints, it was his soleus.

There's a very specific exercise for the soleus and he improved in two weeks doing the right exercises.

Fingers crossed for you N, you deserve a break at this stage.

Wow S, glad he got the correct diagnosis, in the end, its so frustrating doing what you think is meant to make you better but it is not! but maybe you have also answered my question :D

anyway, let's see what happens now! my poor lower calf's are feeling the work done on them yesterday :p

I will hopefully start logging proper training soon :D but for now a little update

After physio, I was given the green light to run again starting with 5 minutes on grass/ soft ground
    I have to make sure I stay between 1 and 3 out of 10 with any discomfort during, after and following day from running

so the way it works
    1-3 is good to go
    4-5 proceed with caution taking steps to pull back
    5 -10 stop and let it settle until all is ok again

My 5-minute run went great all in safe zone between 1-2 so was allowed proceeded to 10 minutes then 15 mins and now 20 minutes :)
    along with 3 S&C sessions a week and some easy cycling.

I have ran 3 times this week and so happy with how I am feeling today 20 minutes was on a lovely little trail with some easy inclines and no issues at all.

I only hope tomorrow I am still feeling as good and I am looking forward to next week :)

It’s so great to see that progress. Really delighted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

That's a great update! Glad it's on the up for you!

Thanks, Kellygirl and ReeRee it is great to finally feel I will recover from this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

That's great news. Delighted the runs are going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Great progress N. You'll get there with your determination i certainly wouldn't bet against you :pac:

Update :)

September 24 - 30th
    I managed 3 runs ( 25 minutes (1-2), 20 minutes (1-2), 25 minutes (0) )
    The last run of the week went great zero discomfort I was thrilled with my self but even so, I know I'm still not out of the woods yet, but I am hoping it is a taste of where I will get to eventually :)

Cross-trained
    only got in 1 cycle
    S&C x 3 20 minute ssessions

October 1-8
    This week did not go as smoothly but thankfully not Achilles related
    Runs x 2
    woke up on feeling a little tenderness in my arches and ankles it eased off throughout the day
    it was still there on Tuesday but felt ok to run 25 minutes easy I felt it a little more but still in the safe zone and I was putting it down to running on uneven ground. let coach know

Wednesday cycle 44 mins very easy to loosen out the legs. discomfort in feet still the same except I could feel it, from my arch up into the ankle and along shin bone left worse than right but in both feet, it hurt a little when walking around. I still hoped it was things just working them selfs out but I did worry it was the posterior tibialis tendon.

by chance, on Wednesday evening I was able to see my physio, he confirmed it was the tibialis tendon and worked on my feet and legs.... ouch some very painful spots pushed my run out until Friday

Friday
    Run 35 minutes easy (2)
    Enjoyed this run a lot first 5k in a long time so I was delighted still feeling arches and ankles but a lot better than before. I had not really noticed Achilles as much but it's still there still in the safe zone though.

Chatted with Coach after my run and we decided to skip Sundays run and I decided to cycle instead

Saturday
    Cycle 26 km meant to be an easy cycle although legs felt tired so felt a little harder but I also think my bike needs a service, the cable is loose for changing gears so it slips and skips some very annoying.

Sunday rest and volunteered at the IMRA Dublin Half Marathon great day out meeting lovely people

I have been keeping an eye on my cadence and have noticed mine has increased on my runs lately 179 to 181 it used to be much lower going to read up on it more all I know is a higher cadence reduces the risk of injury.

• Advertisement

Another week and all is well :)

Monday 8-10-18
    35 minutes : (5 mins zone 1, 25 mins Zone 2, 5 mins Zone 1) avg pace 6.30/km
    Cycled out to The River Barrow only about 5 minutes from the house to run out along the track all went great pace felt very easy and I could have kept going for longer. I could feel the Achilles a little more still in the safe zone but instead of a 0-1, it was more a 3.

Tuesday 9-10-18
    Rest
    S&C : band work out and I moved up to a stronger band :)

Wednesday 10-10-18
    Cycle1: 44 minutes with my son, I had hoped to stay out longer, only I was so nervous after my son made a few mistakes scaring the life out of me:eek:
    cycle 2: Hubby had 20km to do, so I kept him company it was lovely nice and easy my legs felt so fresh when I finished.

Thursday 11-10-18
    Woke up feeling great and no stiffness I even bounced down the stairs instead of my usual shuffle which is a lot better than a month or so ago but still there.
    After Monday run I spoke to L and he had 40 minutes easy planned but we decided to stick with 35 minutes easy.
    I was happy with that, I am in no rush at all however long this takes it takes. if I take a chance or get impatient this will come back and I do not want that.

Run 35 minutes easy avg pace 6.49/km
    I really enjoyed this run, the pace felt easy, my legs felt great & back down to zero discomfort. I was so happy when I finished.
    S&C core work

Friday 12-10-18
    rest

Saturday 13-10-18
    Run 30 minutes building (5 mins zone 1, 20 minutes Zone 2, 5 minutes Zone 1) avg pace 6,40/km
    I left it a little late getting out and forgot the path I like to run after a certain point has no lights. headed off and I have to say feeling great and zero discomfort. reached the end of the track and no more lights and spotted a guy sitting under the bridge in the dark. I passed him and then it was so dark I freaked out :eek: I had passed the steps back up to the road I rang my hubby and turned around hoping I would not meet him or anyone else in the dark . hubby drove over to meet me when I got to the steps onto the road. The poor guy was probably not even there when I got back, I never looked I just ran up the steps. serves me right for watching a crime documentary on netflix.

finished my run on the roads which made me a little nervous, felt a little discomfort about a 1 and all good now, iced them anyway just in case :)
    S&C : band work

all in all a good week and I will end the week tomorrow with a cycle it seems to really help loosen out the legs

Advertisement