Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the mind believes the Body achieves!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Well done- great race report , good luck with your new plan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Time for an update!

Week 11-17 Mach, not much to report, loads of rest and recovery run

20 minutes extra easy on Thursday I enjoyed it and could have run for longer.

Week 18-24 Mach

Tuesday
    30 minutes fast finish ( 5 min extra easy, 15 mins easy, 5 min tempo)
    legs felt a little heavy

Wednesday 30 mins easy
    feeling better than yesterday

Friday 10 min warm up 30 min benchmark run
    After chatting with Liam he decided he wanted to see where I am at and work out heat rate zones for training.

So the plan was warm up for 10 minutes and then stop stretch etc and then run as hard as I could for 30 minutes. :eek:

I woke up early to get this done as we were heading up to Donegal the same day for The Race

after warming up I did a quick stretch and a few strides then set off! it was hard work from the get-go and I avoided looking at my watch as I knew once 5k came I would not be stopping. just keep moving! don't slow down!
    I felt a wee bit sick towards the end but held on!

I managed 3.28miles splits where 1-3 9:09, 9:09, 9:10 0:28 9:21
    managed a bit of a post-injury PB 28:17 by Garmin watch :)

no running over the weekend but spent an amazing weekend in Donegal watching THe Race which my husband was taking part in he did very well :D

Week March 25 - 31
    Now begins heart rate training :)

Tuesday
    25 mins fast finish
    5 mins Z1 ( 128-144) 15 mins Z2 ( 145-160) 5 mins Z3 ( zone 3 is worked off pace ( 9:10 - 9:51)
    2.4 miles avg pace 10:27/mile

Wednesday planned 25 mins building ( 5 mins Z1, 15 mins Z2, 5 min Z1)
    actual 16 mins cut this run short as my sister was in hospital very sick. thankfully she is much better and home now

Friday tempo run 35 mins
    5 min Z1, 5 mins Z2, 20 mins Z3, 5mins Z2, 5 mins Z1
    3.3 miles Avg pace 10:22/mile
    really enjoyed this run but lower calfs/ Achilles felt a little sore when I finished
    Went out on my bike to spin out the legs and a trip to shops I think it helped the legs. all was ok Saturday morning. no stiffness or discomfort

Sunday
    6 miles
    (1 mile Z1, 4.5miles Z2, 0:5 Z1)
    Another beautiful morning all though a little cold, a nice run and so far I am enjoying the HR training. enjoyed the longer run but again lower calfs were feeling a little discomfort at the end and when I finished nothing in Achilles. sent a message to Liam to let him know. but at this point, not that worried as it is settling very quickly.

Running set back :(

Week 1 - 7 April

Tuesday - Fast finish
    5 mins Z1, 20 mins Z2, 10 mins Z3
    Went down to the local club to run with a friend and it was lovely chatted with friends till I had to do Z3 and went on ahead. I noticed my lower calfs were aking a little and I eased off a little as I could feel it pulling down on my Achilles. They were hurting more than I liked when I finished which was very frustrating as I cannot fully pinpoint why.

Wednesday
    Planned 30 mins building
    actual: nothing decided to rest for a few days and not let any crazy thoughts creep in! I managed with the help of my DCM buddies legends ladies

Thursday
    Cross-training cycle 40 minutes
    I got a new bike so took it out for a test spin bit uncomfortable it needs some adjusting and instead of working off 24 gears I only had 8 so it needs a good service.

Friday
    again no run, calfs and Achilles felt fine but decided to give them more time and make sure all was good for Sundays run

Sunday Long run 8 miles
    we were heading out to Glenbarrow for the next IMRA SE league race it was my first race so was very nervous.
    We arrived early and got a warm-up done.
    2 miles @ 7.14/km

After helping out at registration we jogged down to the start it was about half a KM up the road. after our race briefing, we were off at 12 noon.

The first Km was on the road and the pace was fast, it was only a small group running today and I knew I was probably going to be last but did not want to get dropped at the start of the race.
    we had a nice little downhill into the forest before running along a lovely little single track taking us up past the Glenbarrow waterfalls we had to do a bit of climbing here up over huge rocks and the climb started at this point.
    My watch beeped for the first mile and then paused itself for the next mile GRRR only to be discovered at a mile further down the trail.

I was in a nice little group chatting to a nice guy and his wife we had met them at an AR race we helped out a few weeks back. there were about 4 other runners behind me at this point not including my hubby who was taking pictures as people climbed over the Rocks.
    I was working and a little under pressure, but I was still enjoying the lovely views around us. I was delighted I was able to keep running, I decided I would not walk unless everyone in front was LOL
    I was very happy with how it was going and the fact I was running more than I expected.
    We were nearing the max elevation and the steepest part of the course, I decided to take it easy on this section as I was feeling it in my calfs on the steeper sections and I stepped in out of the way to let the others behind me go on ahead.

I knew I was last but did not care, it took a few minutes to find my groove again and get moving at the top we had another nearly 2 miles of rolling trail along a fire road, before a downward trend to the finish.
    It was nice and I could see the others in front so I was closing on them again. even nicer was the group I was in at the start waited for me at the finish line which was really nice and so did a lovely man who is a friend of Browneye of these parts. such a small world!

Finished in 1hr 2 minutes for nearly 6 miles, in the end, my watch says 4 miles at an AVG pace of 6.25KM but I say it was more likely avg pace 7-minute something KM pace.

I have to say that 8-mile long run worked out great it passed very quickly

I really hope whatever was setting my Achilles has sorted itself out! coach is changing my plan.
    No issues with Achilles during the run today I had a little niggle in my arches but I think that was my new trail runner's they seem to flair every time I run in a new pair of runners. but feeling ok now.

Hopefully, all is ok now and I can keep moving forward I am aiming for the Waterford Viking Half Marathon in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Delighted to hear no issues today. Hopefully just a little warning and you can move forward again now after taking it easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Brilliant N, glad you’re free good again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Glad Sundays run went so well for you and was painfree.

Have you had gait analysis done lately? If not might be no harm getting it done again as things can change over time.

Here's hoping it was just a blip.

Younganne wrote: »
    Glad Sundays run went so well for you and was painfree.

Have you had gait analysis done lately? If not might be no harm getting it done again as things can change over time.

Here's hoping it was just a blip.

it seems to be a little blip, or I have wore out my everyday runners I also think standing around for 24 hours watching hubby took a toll

I have also being doing a new execise my Coach gave me, the neutral standing position once I have that I squeeze my glutes and then core it is making a difference! wakes up the glutes and get everything working right so my calfs are not doing all the work :)

I hope all is going well for you now

Week 8 -14

Monday - rest
    Feeling very good after Sunday 8 miles much better than I expected. all is good with Achilles / calfs. quads have a tiny bit of Doms but a lot less than I expected

Tuesday
    planned 40 minutes fast finish
    no running unfortunately sick :(

Wednesday planned
    30 mins building
    again no running still not well

Thursday
    feeling much better yay so got out did Tuesday planned run
    40 mins fast finish, 5 mins Z1, 25mins Z2, 10 mins Z3
    4.3 miles avg pace 6.27/km
    enjoyed this run and decided to see how I would feel for the zone 3 and if I was not up to it keep it in Z2

Friday nothing coach wanted me to rest so I was ok for Sunday run, bit disappointed as I would have like a run.

Sunday Long run
    9 miles ( 1mile Z1, 7.5 miles Z2, 0.5 miles Z1)
    On trail again with hubby for this one I really loved this run, it was bitter cold and found I had to walk a little to stay in the correct HR Zone I ran out 4.05 miles and then back in. stretched when I finished and feeling good today a little bit of doms in the quads :)

I am really hoping I can get out more often this week with no more setbacks!

I am really happy with how my week has gone, I am also feeling really inspired after reading some great race reports this week. Applegirl one was amazing and I think everyone can relate in some way to all the feelings she shared in her report.
    Next was AMK cracking run and a new way to deal with cramps and then I really enjoyed Swashbucklers and the good news

Also made me think I need to put more effort into my log LOL

Week 15 to 21 April
    This week is meant to be my step back week, but it actually feels more like a building week as I had two bad weeks with a flare-up of some discomfort one week in my ankles / Achilles and tummy trouble last week. both have resolved thankfully and I was a little surprised at how good I feel this week more than once feeling that nice runners high when I was finished. maybe it is because I had no discomfort at all before during or after in my Achilles. I did have a little soreness in the arch of my right foot still a little tendonitis in my post tip, but I iced it a couple of times and it's gotten better and better this week so I did not even worry about it at all

Monday rest

Tuesday: Fast finish
    5 mins Z1, 20 mins Z1, 5 mins Z3
    Actual 31 mins, 3.13 miles splits in KM : 6:53,6:09,6:19, 6:07 ,5:54
    So nice having warmer evenings and pulling out the shorts and short sleeves vest for running at last. I felt really good and took a chance and ran a route that is 5k thinking I would walk when the 30 mins were up as it would be close to home anyway.
    My watch normally buzzes away letting me know I am in the right HR zone I reached where it normally beeps to let me know to move into Zone 2. nothing yet! I take a quick look to see if I am still in the right HR zone and I am. a minute later it beeps and I am a little surprised and delighted. which was the general theme for this run I was running a little faster but in the still in the right HR zones. which meant I decided to keep going at 30 mins as I was just home.

Wednesday
    S&C core ball class this was brilliant gentle but very effective the instructor is brilliant and really makes sure you are doing it correctly.

Run 30 minutes building
    5 mins Z1, 20 mins Z2, 5 mins Z1
    2.83 miles Splits KM : 6:31,6:36, 6:21, 6:37
    No extra bits tonight, sticking to the plan lol I think I got a little fast at the end of Zone 1 and pulled back to recover and get to the lower end of Z2 HR but all in all another lovely run and feeling good. it has been a long long time since I can say that, I am really enjoying HR training. I do find for the cooldown Z1 I have to take some walk breaks to stay in the right zone. I assume that will get better over time.

Thursday: rest

Friday
    Run tempo
    5mins Z1, 5mins Z2, 18 mins Z3, 5mins Z2, 5 mins Z1
    3.61 miles and a wee jog back to the car making it 4 miles in total
    laps splits were:
    5 mins at 6:39/km, 5mins at 6:25/km
    10 mins at 5.58/km, 8 mins at 6.02km
    5 mins 7.21/km, 5 mins 8.33/km

OOH, I was nervous about this run, I missed the last two tempo runs so I decided to see how I felt and if it was too much to maybe split the tempo section in two and take a break or cut it short.
    I had planned on getting a lift to the bank to sort out my bank card my 13 year old had locked it and then doing my run but hubby was heading to get his hair cut and suggested I run along the Barrow while waiting on him. I jumped at the chance as it is a beautiful spot so scenic and as luck would have it my trail runners were in the car.
    I also grabbed a running belt and stuck a big bottle of water in it, it is so warm ( beautiful out would not change it LOL ) but I knew I need it.

As I expected the Zone 3 was tough I felt like I was running faster than I was so I took a little break at 10 mins stretched drank some water poured more on my head. the second part of the tempo felt hard and I was just checking to see how much longer was left thinking I would stop early when my watched beeped. I was very happy I lasted. slowed down to allow my HR to drop but had to take a few walking breaks I can get it back down but as soon as I start moving it rises again. I just went with it and took some pictures patience will pay off I hope.

So a big week for me so far and all though I was delighted with myself at the end of Friday run I wondered how my body would respond esp my Achilles

Saturday Rest
    Achilles are good yay, a tiny little something more so in the right one which was always my worst leg. if I gave it a number out of 10 maybe 0.5.
    the plan is to see how I go over the rest of today before deciding what I am going to do for tomorrow run, some of the Wicklow way with Paul or on my own around town. I might go with Paul and cycle beside him so I don't feel like I am missing out.

Sunday long run
    7 miles: 1 mile Z1, 5.5 miles Z2, 0.5 miles Z1
    Splits per KM : 8:25,11:52,5:56,11:03, 8:55, 6:04, 7.13,10:02,7.30,6:20, 5:50 total moving time 1:31:18 avg pace 8:06/km
    All feeling good with Achilles so decided to head out with Paul, I think this might be the last one I go out with him on, I had a lot of walking to stay in the right HR zone and I really took my time stopping to admire the views the weather is so nice. I took lots of pictures and forgot to unpause my watch a few times so I think I might have walked an extra mile.

I decided to run some of the uphills even though it took me out of Zone 2 and just concentrated on running form and keeping it very easy or else this run would be more walking than running. I kept an eye and made sure HR did not go up more than 163.
    The second half was very runnable except for one last climb which was the forest close to Carrickahane Mountain, load of work done here widening the road. I say it was very beautiful at one point if the path at the top is anything to go by a lovely single track leading downhill, I took it easy as I was minding myself and it was very steep in parts. I met hubby coming back up the forest track and we stopped for a chat he was flying along. Here he tells me at one of the junctions ahead it is hard to see the little yellow man and it sure was, I stopped could not remember which way he said to go although I am sure at this point it was downhill and not up LOL. took out my phone to check and no coverage it was useless and Viewranger showed me way off course I must have spent a good 15 mins looking for the sign! only to stop and look up at the bank and there it was !!!
    enjoyed the rest of the run mostly downhill to Iron Bridge where I stopped and walked up to my knees in the water! Freezing cold but very refreshing.
    Then my next adventure, on my son's mountain bike to cycle back to the car I had one big climb and after that all would be good! the only problem was my phone google maps would not work, I started cycling thinking I get coverage further up the road, but had taken a wrong turn so when I finally got google maps to work it brought me right back to iron bridge SMOJ nooo not that hill again!! but halfway up it and it was easier second time around I met hubby so that was the end of my cycle I was a little disappointed I could have cycled all day around Wicklow it was so nice no rush beautiful views and a nice breeze to keep you cool.

Now I am going to enjoy a nice BBQ !! Happy Easter to all

Just to note hydration vest and the two soft bottles are working very well and never even noticed it on my back today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Interesting to see your workouts seem to be the same as some of mine. Is your coach using the Matt Fitzgerald 80/20 approach or is it a different focus? How are you finding it?

Murph_D wrote: »
    Interesting to see your workouts seem to be the same as some of mine. Is your coach using the Matt Fitzgerald 80/20 approach or is it a different focus? How are you finding it?

I just looked up Matt Fitzgerald, your right its so similar but I do not know for sure if my coach is using him, I will ask him :)
    I am really enjoying it so far, I like the approach it is a little different but feel I am making progress.

my husband is using the same coach and training and has made massive improvements, when we first started running I was about a minute behind or two behind him! now he leaves me for dust LOL

Murph_D Just spoke to my coach and yes, my plan is based on the 80/20 rule or the Pareto Principle is what he called it, He has modified mine to suit he said as I am coming back from injury. :) keeping me in the lower Zones 1-3 for the moment but will soon introduce zone 4 as he says I am slipping in to it lately myself

April 22-28 ( 7 weeks left till HM in Waterford )

Monday rest

Tuesday
    Tempo Run ( 5 mins Z1, 5 mins Z2, 15 mins Z3, 5 mins Z2, 5 mins Z1)
    3.27 miles avg pace 6.40/km
    splits for tempo first 10 minutes avg 5.57/km last 5 mins 6.04/km ( from strava)
    Nice little run, I really had to slow down once tempo was finished to stay in HR zones but less walking than when I first started HR training! progress I think.
    S&C basic core, plank, side plank L&R side plank with leg raise, knee to chest, left and right hip extension and heel tough with a ball, skydive.

Wednesday
    Core ball class in the gym
    great class I worked harder this week, I think I managed to get my balance correct this week.

Run recovery 30 mins Z1
    3.81 miles AVG pace 6.55/km
    Feeling good got out for my run straight after the core ball class as I had a busy afternoon painting my hall. I am looking forward to getting out for a little longer on my midweek runs.

Thursday rest

Friday
    Run long intervals
    5mins Z1, 5 mins Z2, 3x 3 mins Z4 / 2 mins Z1, 5 mins Z1
    3 miles avg pace 6:31/km
    splits for Z4
    1, 5:15/km
    2, 5:17/km
    3, 5:16/km
    I was a little bit nervous heading out for this run, I had to wait till later in the evening so Storm Hannagh had arrived so I knew it was not going to be easy hitting pace if running into a headwind, in reality, it was not as bad as I expected. I had just finished my 5 mins in Z2 and was going to head out on the route I like to do an out and back again, but as soon as I turned the corner the wind hit me! so I crossed the road and decided to do a loop taking me around the college more shelter. the watch beeped and I must admit I took a double look at the pace for my Z4 eek! happy with how they went body held up. but really had to slow down in the cooldown to stay in HR zone which I was a little disappointed with as I felt good and knew I would not hit 5k when I finished. eye on the bigger prize all part of the plan

S&C basic body weight, push-ups, pike push ups, back plank, wall squats, knee drive, lunge twits, mermaid.
    that was a little hard, I am really feeling my core from Wednesday core ball class

Saturday rest/cross train
    Went out with a group from the local gym for a cycle a few people cancelled because of the weather, but 20 of us still arrived. it was a lovely morning we had it nice and easy on the way out sheltered from the wind, but lots of debris on the roads and very windy on the way back. great chats and tea/biscuits when we finished.
    bonus, when I came home my new HR strap had arrived from Amazon, got it for a great price 34 euro. I was hoping it would also give me running dynamics but unfortunately, my watch does not support that but it will make HR data more accurate

Sunday long run
    10 miles (1 mile Z1, 8.5 miles Z2, 0.5 miles Z1)
    AVG pace 6:43/km 1hr 48 mins
    I was wondering would the legs feel tired after Friday run and yesterday cycle, but not feeling too bad at all. I had to stop a few time after I started to sort out the HR strap its working fine LOL all down to me not making sure it was on right oops. it was a little strange being out on the roads after doing my long runs on trails the last few weeks. I missed the trails if I am honest, I picked a loop and thought I was being clever running it in reverse to what I would normally do, but I think it made it harder more uphills LOL stopped a few times for road crossings and a quick toilet break. I brought a few jellies with me and enjoyed them and still wore my hydration pack and brought water with me.
    I was delighted when I finished longest run in a while after a good week of training. I found some nice chafing on my lower back when I got in the shower OUCH !! not sure why the waistband of my running trousers did that.

A big week for me this week, looking forward to it and reaching 11 miles in my long run which I never managed in the last training block.

Thanks for reading :)

late updating this week!

April 29 - May 5th ( 6 weeks left to HM )

Monday rest

Tuesday: Speed maintenance
    5 mins Z1,5 mins Z2, 4 x 5 mins Z3/2 mins Z1, 5 mins Z1, 5 mins Z2
    4.91 miles avg pace 6:36/km
    paces for 5 mins Z3 ( 5:41, 5:53,5:52, 5:50,) (KM)
    I really enjoyed this run and felt good some stopping at traffic lights to crossroads, I must plan my routes better LOL I am starting to feel more comfortable in Z3 at last.

S&C: Basic core

Wednesday: 35 mins recovery
    35mins Z1
    3.14 miles @7:13/km
    A nice run, feeling good
    no core ball class this week it will have to wait until summer now

Thursday: rest

Friday: Short intervals
    5 mins Z1, 5 mins Z2, 6 x 1.5 mins Z5/ 2.5 min Z1, 5 mins Z1
    3.69 miles @6:49/km
    Intervals: 4:46/km, 5:00/km,4:55/km, 4:41/km, 4:41/Km, 4:42/km
    I walked the recovery until HR recovered to Z1
    The second interval was a little slower bad route choice and a car cut a corner. but otherwise, I really enjoyed it and happy with pacing.

S&C Hamstring and glutes

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: long run & charity cycle
    Long run 11 miles ( 1 mile Z1, 9.5 miles Z2, 0.5 miles Z1)
    I got up very early on Sunday morning for this one, after a quick toast and peanut butter I was out the door for 6 am. I had my hydration pack and 2 soft flasks one with water and 1 with tailwind.
    I had planned my route the day before but decided I did not want to run through town so early on my own. So headed out a route I was more familiar with.
    I felt a little slower which I put down to Friday run and being up so early.
    It was a chilly morning lots of frost but hardly anyone about which was nice. I gave my self 2 hours and 30 minutes to do it giving me enough time to get ready for the cycle when I got home.
    I was worried I was going to be short on distance when I got home so decided to do a little out and back but added a little extra distance by the end oops.
    11.5 miles @ 7:08/km in 2 hrs 12 minutes a little quicker than I expected.

Then home had some food and headed out for the charity cycle in aid of a local club member it was a lovely morning and a lovely crowd I really enjoyed it and took it easy so I could last the distance.
    61km in 2hrs 39 mins
    We were well fed when we finished I ate way too much LOL

But I am delighted with my week, it is my biggest yet 23.4 miles for the week I have not done a week like that in over a year before my injury.

On a side note, HR strap must have moved or I did not put it on right but I was chaffed quite badly on my sides rubbed raw in spots. let's just say the showering was fun! the only other idea I have that might have caused it is my hydration vest. it happened last week as well but nothing on midweek runs at all.

A step back week, next week then two weeks before my next big week I am hoping all keep's staying as good as it is now FX anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Well done on a great week. I thought I was seeing things on Strava with your long run and then a cycle on the same day! Fair dues for doing both. Delighted that your are injury free and getting the miles in.

gypsylee wrote: »
    Well done on a great week. I thought I was seeing things on Strava with your long run and then a cycle on the same day! Fair dues for doing both. Delighted that your are injury free and getting the miles in.

Thanks Gypsylee so far so good anyway I still have to be careful :)

week 6-12 May

This week was a step back week and so very well timed, finishing up some DIY at home before my son's 1st holy communion and I think the body needed it as well.

Tuesday tempo run
    planned: 5 mins Z1, 5mins Z2, 15mins Z3, 5 mins Z2, 5 mins Z1
    Actual: 2.8 miles AVG 6:34/km
    I cut this run short, calfs felt sore I stopped after 10 mins and stretched them hoping that would sort them out. but a few minutes into tempo I decided to play it safe and just head for home.
    S&C basic core

Wednesday rest
    Moved Wednesday run to Thursday text Physio for an appointment for a once over and work out any tightness in the legs. using foam roller in the meantime

Thursday
    Recovery 35 mins Z1
    Thankfully I felt much better which I was delighted with, I really did not want to miss 2 runs this week, I already had to skip one as I had to move my long run around.
    S&C Hamstrings and glutes

Friday Rest

Saturday 8 miles long run
    1 mile Z1, 6.5 miles Z2, 0.5miles Z1
    8 miles @ 6.50/km 1hr:26:58
    I went over to club across the road and ran down to a charity run for a little girl here in Carlow two lads where running 50k to raise money for her. They were doing 5 x 10k loops so we did the first 10k with them a great crowd out and a lovely day I ran with 2 friends great to run with a group.
    Legs felt good I am still stretching and foam rolling seems to be helping.

Week 13 - 19 May

Tuesday tempo
    5 mins Z1, 5 mins Z2, 20 mins Z3, 5mins Z2, 5 mins Z1
    4.8 miles @ 6.25/km tempo pace 5.59 -6.00 /km pace
    I ran with 2 friends again we all are nearly the same pace L being a tiny bit slower so kept in the lower end of tempo and really enjoyed it, I felt very comfortable no problem with lower calfs :)
    S&C basic core

physio booked for tomorrow night

Wednesday recovery
    31 mins Z1
    3.22 miles @6.45km
    not much to say nice easy run
    no physio though appointment cancelled and rearranged for Friday

Friday long intervals
    5mins Z1, 5mins Z2, 3xZ4/ 2 mins Z1, 5 mins Z1
    3.69 @6.33/km
    intervals
    1, 4:56/km
    2, 5:13/km
    3, 5:27/km
    4, 5:10/km

A bit faster than the last time I did this session, it was tough esp the 3rd one but I think I was on a drag so the effort was there :) recovered nicely for the last rep.
    Ran an extra 5 mins OOPS really should double check plan doing up my run in Garmin connect.

S&C Hamstrings and Glutes

no physio poor guy had to cancel again but sorting me out on Monday

Sunday 10 miles with speed long run
    0.5 miles Z1, 1 mile Z2, 8x 0.25 miles Z3/0.75 Z2, 0.5miles Z1
    made a mess of this :eek: entered 75 miles instead of 0.75 Dope!! so only got 6 of the intervals done.
    we headed out to castledermot for a C25k fundraiser for the local school, registered and I left hubby chatting as I got in a warm-up getting the Z1 out of the way. enjoyed the 5k got in one interval and was waiting for the recovery to end which never did so knew I had done something wrong. thought I check when we finished but forgot in all the chats and then we headed home. plan was hubby would let me out so I could run the rest of my run 6 miles home. restated my run and then remembered I messed up the intervals. so set up an new work out to finish off. all in all it was a good run I felt comfortable and still got my 10 miles done even if a little messy.

S&C basic body weight

Hope Physio went well tonight N.

• Advertisement

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Hope Physio went well tonight N.

Yep all went well :D I did a good job at rolling them out. my calfs were not tight at all I just need to build up a little strength in my soleus muscles so a few exercises to do and all should be good

This week started out good but ended not so good!

Week 20 to 26 May

Monday
    Rest and Physio for some maintenance all good and a few exercises to help keep my Soleus muscle strong

Tuesday
    Tempo run
    5 mins Z1, 5 mins Z2, 24 mins Z3, 5 mins Z2, 5 mins Z1
    4.30 miles avg 6.24
    tempo pace 5.56/km to 5.47/km from Strava
    Nice run, I got out late after searching the house high and low for my HR strap and found it stuck down the couch :confused::D
    finished with some stretching

S&C Basic Bodyweight

Wednesday
    recovery run
    35 mins Z1
    I felt a little tired before I started but much better by the end and could have kept going. I noticed my right knee felt a little niggly :eek:
    lots of stretching and some foam rolling and all good LOL

Thursday
    Rest with more foam rolling and all seems good with the knee Phew

Friday
    Planned Long intervals
    5 mins Z1, 5 mins Z2, 5 x 3 mins Z4/ 2 min Z2, 5 mins Z1

actual; a big fat Zero! although I did get in a good walk that morning running around it worked out at 9km all in! but I was helping the toddler into the bath after lunch turned around and felt a pop and then pain in the right side of my lower back OUCH muscles were in spasm so no running for me! I used an ice pack got some anti-inflammatories and rubbed some anti-inflammatory gel into my lower back.

Saturday
    I messaged coach he advised to make an appointment with physio so did that booked in for Monday evening. very sore throughout the day the plan was to move as much as possible as long as it was not making my pain worse

Sunday
    no long run, but I am actually ok thankfully this week felt like a repeat of last week so I am not overly worried if I have to take a week off

The back was very very sore today I found it hard to sleep Last night and sit or stand , we had a communion today and I let hubby go with the kids and I decided to use a heat pack on my back! OMG instant relief eased the tightness and pain massively reduced I am moving much better such a relief. It still sore in one spot in particular so I will do whatever physio advises tomorrow.

On a good note, I had set my self a goal of losing 7lbs before the HM the end of June first week done and 4.5lbs gone :D only 2.5 left and have been doing very well food wise so far this week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Hope your back pain subsides N. Nice positivity though in that post.

Awesome stuff on the weight loss goal, that's excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Ouch. I sprained my back coughing a couple of years ago and it's no fun. Definitely once you're starting to feel better, gentle movement, such as walking, helps. Hope it improves quickly.

Thanks Laraze, I may be extra careful now I wont be doing much exercise this week :)

Huzzah never had anything like this before so glad there has been some improvement, heat really seems to be helping release any tightness and hopefully helps with healing

week 27 May to 1st of June
    I guess in hindsight I could not have picked a better time to not be able to train sore back and head cold! this week is a step back week so worked out well did not feel like that at the start of the week though.

Monday
    Rest/ active recovery
    evening walk with hubby and I needed it 4 days and no running and I can not even cycle I felt very cooped up
    No physio, he had to cancel and had a good reason, I am still raging tough I was so disappointed. had a mini feel sorry for my self moment how unlucky can I be hopefully this heals quickly. hoping I can get an appointment on Wednesday for physio if needed.
    otherwise, my back has improved throughout the day I am still using the heat pack on it and it is making a huge difference.

Tuesday
    Rest - also have a cold!!

Wednesday
    Physio appointment good check over and no serious damage done, I kinda knew that but relieved all the same taped up and some exercises to do

Thursday
    Rest: a little more tender after physio as expected but again felt better as the day went on

Friday
    35 mins Z1
    So nice to be back out running, no issues with my back phew all good for my long run Sunday.

Sunday
    8 miles ( 1 mile Z1, 6.5 miles Z2, 0.5 mile Z1 )
    I went out with Hubby plan was to run my 8 with him and then cycle my bike for the rest of his run.

From the start, it felt hard HR was fine but I was feeling it, stopped to wait for hubby to go toilet and while unpausing my watch I saved my run oops restarted it again and skipped the warm-up. all good till we had a bit of a hill to run up and for some reason, my HR strap was not right at all it was showing lower than Z1 HR and no way was that right I tried to fix it but no joy so stuck to effort keeping it nice and easy instead. I decided to take the HR strap off and let the wrist-based one take over instead. other points to note I felt like I was overheating I was so warm and the last mile felt long and hard I was so glad to be finished and I wondered how on earth was I going to do 12 miles next week eek!
    I got a quick snack and grabbed the bike to follow hubby I think I got about 3k and called him, I was feeling a little light headed so decided to call it a day and head back to the car we thought maybe it was because I had not eaten before I came out or lingering effects from my cold, I felt much better after eating and sitting down for a few minutes.

Monday evening I found my reason for feeling so flat on my run and thanks to Huzzah sharing the podcast on her log from Dr Stacy Sims, it confirmed it for me so ladies if you have not listened I would highly recommend you do. I was going to give a little warning about what I am going to mention but nope LOL it is a fact of life and very relevant to us ladies our menstrual cycles can have an impact on our training. I had noticed it before but did not give it much thought. I won't now and after listening to the podcast I got some great tips to help

I found another podcast from Stacy Sims that gives a little bit more information https://runnersconnect.net/running-interviews/fuel-youre-rethinking-fueling-hydration-dr-stacy-sims/

Week 3 -9 June

This week is a big week and I was not sure how to go about it, Hubby was running in the Wicklow way race starting at midnight on Friday I was on finish line duties which I knew was going to be a long day. So swapped a few things around to fit my runs in.

Monday rest

Tuesday Tempo run
    5 mins Z1, 5 mins Z2, 23 mins Z3, 5 mins Z2, 5 mins Z1
    4.17 miles @ 6.26 /km
    Nice run so happy I was able to hit paces
    S&C basic body weight
    Had a wee chat with coach about moving my runs around I had already planned on doing my Long run on Saturday instead of Sunday
    but looking at my plan I had a recovery run planned for Wednesday and a session planned for Friday, so asked coach could I keep Friday session and do it Thursday and swap the recovery run for a cycle instead. he was happy for me to do that.

Wednesday
    cycle a nice hour I really enjoyed it kept it very easy saving my legs for tomorrow run

Thursday
    long intervals
    5mins Z1, 5 mins Z2, 1 min Z5, 2mins Z1, 3 mins Z4,2mins Z1, 5 mins Z3, 2 mins Z1, 3 mins Z4, 2 mins Z2, 1 min Z5, 5 mins Z1
    This was fun to enter into the watch :D I was a little nervous but not in a bad way heading out to do this one. Liam said to use effort for recovery instead of HR zones I nailed that LOL found this hard esp the Z4 and 5 I will admit to having a wee little chat with myself LOL but Zone 3 tempo pace felt very comfortable. I was not sure if I had hit the Z5 pace but when I checked I had so happy days
    S&C basic hip strength and prevention

Friday Rest
    wished Paul all the best heading up to Marlay park to the start of the Wicklow way and stayed up to wait for the tracker to start I was glad he was with a few friends and hoped they get each other through the night

Saturday
    12-mile LSR with a fast finish ( 1 0.5 mile Z1, 10.5 Z2, 1 mile Z3)
    2hours 19 minutes @7.12/km
    Woke up earlier than planned and checked the tracker happy to see Paul was moving well
    Headed out to meet my friend who was joining me for my long run :D I was feeling a little tired and legs felt a little heavy. we kept it straight forward and decided to do an out and back again along the Dublin road but its a bit of an awful road so found it boring so glad I had company even if she was running a few steps ahead of me at times making it hard to chat! I think this run will do her some good slowing down LOL I was watching my watch waiting for the Z2 to end and hoping the legs would play ball and be able to run the Z3 I will admit I did not think I would be able legs felt heavy but decided it was only going to be 9 mins or so and I could hang on for that long delighted I managed it in the end.

Cycle 17.63 miles
    So after the run, I headed back to my friend's house and we changed ate some food and out on the bikes to cycle down to Clonegal to the finish line
    I have to say I really enjoyed the cycle legs felt great lovely quiet roads a few hills but great chats all the way.
    we arrived quicker than we had planned and I am so glad we did, I was only off my bike to chat to the RD who was there with the finish line all set up. I was not expecting her till much later on. when the primal tracking guy let us know the first man home was on his way!! arriving in a cracking time of 12 hours 11 minutes and looking very fresh Robbie Britton a lovely guy he stayed and chatted to everyone and ran back out to run back in with second runner home Gavin Byrne. Robbie also gave back his 1st place prize of a pair of runners he wanted them to go to the last runner home a lovely gesture.

I also got to catch up with Neady of these parts lovely to you again

My hubby made it to 103km and is over the moon with that, his training did not go to plan in the final few weeks beforehand and he said if he made it to 75 he be happy. I think he would have finished it but he hurt his quad and had to walk to the next checkpoint which meant he was over the cut-off. but it did not matter he is still over the moon which is the main thing :D

This is a huge milestone for me, this time last year I was struggling to run and so frustrated and I first got in touch with Liam while following Neady and a few others on the Wicklow way race last year. it feels so good to be in a much better place now. Also even with being on my feet for 9 hours I am feeling good no reaction happy days

Now on to taper 2 weeks to go to the Waterford Half marathon

Woohoo - taper time. What distance are you running next Saturday/Sunday? You are very well set up for this half.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Woohoo - taper time. What distance are you running next Saturday/Sunday? You are very well set up for this half.

10 miles with a fast finish :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

It's brilliant to see you at this stage now, 2 weeks out from a Half, very well prepared and full of positivity - not that you weren't ever outwardly positive! You've amazing perseverance, in light of everything you never gave up and didn't even give out a whole lot either ;)

Advertisement