Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the mind believes the Body achieves!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Baby75 wrote: »
    I agree you need some mental strength at times during a race :) 10 miles is a huge milestone considering as Ariana pointed out to me that at one point I thought I would never get back to that distance again :) but I have and will again

Thank you :) and I hope so, I meant to ask and I am sorry if you mentioned it all ready but what date is your HM

The HM is the 24th of March in London. London Landmarks HM. A nice way to see the city. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

gypsylee wrote: »
    The HM is the 24th of March in London. London Landmarks HM. A nice way to see the city. :)

so exciting!! I love to travel and run somewhere soon have my eye on a trail half on trails during the summer hubby wants to run the longer distance and I am hoping I can do something rather than watching although I do enjoy that as well

Week 4 -10

Monday - rest

Tuesday - 24 min Tempo run
    Warm up 10 mins- 24 min tempo- cool down 10 mins
    7.11 Km avg pace 6.13/km
    This run went really well, I was chuffed when I finished a great little boost after my long run on Sunday.

S&C - core work :cool:

Wednesday - Recovery run
    5km avg pace 7.30/km
    I had two of my boys with me for the first 20 minutes really proud of my 7-year-old he managed 2km and then they headed home while I finished off on the road. I must have still been feeling the lingering effects of my cold last week because legs felt much fresher this week.

Physio- for some work on my calf's I decided with them being so tight that better to make sure all was ok rather than wait until I have an injury. I was relieved that its just general fatigue and I need to work on my calf strength so have some exercises to do and send him an update each week.
    He also worked on my tibialis posterior and anterior and some stretches to do
    My Achilles got the all clear no sign of any injury to them :D now to keep it that way

Thursday - rest

Friday - Long Intervals
    warm up 10 mins, 5 x 3 mins tempo, 2 mins recovery, 10 min cooldown
    6.4km avg pace 6.22/km
    This was a nice run, the first two intervals were hard going into the strong winds and up a slight drag so focused on effort and my heart rate. I really like these runs :) I was like a drowned rat when I finished.

Saturday cross-trained
    a short cycle only 8k felt for my poor hubby out for 4 hours on the bike in that bitter cold wind. nice to see so many out running and better yet down again this week in slimming world yay!

S&C more core work including side planks !!! still hate them

Sunday - long run 10 miles fast finish
    10 miles in 1hr 54 minutes AVG pace 11.26min/miles last mile 9.32 min/miles pace.

We headed out to Woodstock gardens the plan was to take in half the run for the race then do a loop on the roads before coming back and finishing off with the rest of the race route.

Enjoyed the nice trail up along the river and I think I have the short course figured out, we followed the route from last year race which goes up a little trail between the trees and comes out on to a forest trail, unfortunately, the pretty trail is gone and it's been widened and resurfaced, I paused my watch as I was not running on it and we walked on to meet back up with the nice trails in Woodstock gardens, but then I got a phone call to come home to our youngest who would not settle after a nap! my head was not in my run at all so when I reached the road I ran back down to Inistioge village Some beautiful views and a lovely downhill to the car, I tried to take it handy and hoped my quads would not hurt later on :D no such luck
    back in Carlow after sorting out kids again, I headed out and finished my run legs felt a little tired but I was able to keep to the plan and finish fast.
    I was raging I had to split the long run in two, but I got it done which is the main thing.
    I really need new trail runners everywhere is too messy for road runner you have no grip and it could lead to injury.

next week a step back week and I am looking forward to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

You’re flying it N, good news about the achilles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

That is brilliant news that the achilles is doing so well!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Mighty stuff, all very positive lately N :)

A great week for you N. Delighted all is well with the achilles.

Thanks all feeling happy and plan to be careful as my physio says don't get greedy I think I will still always have to manage my Achilles but as long as I can keep it as it is now and no overload it again.

week 11- 17 February

Monday - rest

Tuesday - planned = Tempo run

My legs were still feeling sore along my quads and shins so decided to stick with a recovery run instead may have been a tad faster but I met some friends and ran most of my run with them really enjoyable 5km in 37 minutes

Wednesday - tempo run
    warm up- 18 mins tempo - cool down
    5.9km 37 mins
    AVG pace for tempo 5.50 /km a nice run I enjoy the tempo runs. my legs still felt a little sore but felt better when I finished.

S&C core :cool:

Thursday - rest

Friday - tempo intervals
    Legs still did not feel 100% so decided to do a nice recovery run instead it had a few inclines so the effort would be there anyway.
    The plan said 4o minutes I went with friends to a nice little wood it has 2km loops and is shaped like a love heart very apt a day late mind. it went great took it nice and easy and chatted the whole way around.
    When my 40 minutes were up I stopped and we waited for the 2 other girls as A wanted to do another lap to wait we walked to the hill and she did a few hill repeats while I stretched and walked. 20 minutes passed and no sign! so off we both went running looking for them its funny now but a little scary at the time! nearly another 2 k or more done seems they had changed direction to find us but so had we LOL
    watch said 6km in 48 minutes plus whatever extra we had done

Saturday - rest

Sunday - long run 8 miles
    8.67 miles in 1hr 34 minutes avg pace 10.52 min/mile or in km 6.44/km

I used ploutearoute.com to work out a route so I could get my run finished before the IMRA race in Oughaval woods. So while my hubby and the League director where marking the course I headed off on my run.
    The weather had cleared and the sun came out I forgot how nice it is to get out early in the morning.
    It was an uphill start and then I was rewarded with a nice downhill run yay! oh, wait I had to come back that way! that should be fun :D
    it actually turned out to be pretty much downhill till I reached a little lake called Kellyville at about 3 miles in I had planned to run down the forest road past the little lake back out on to the road and doing a loop bringing back to the road I had come down.
    my plan was not to be, the road was blocked off so back the way I came.
    it crossed my mind it was all up on the way back some more like drags and some hills but it was not bad at all and I actually enjoyed it, some lovely views and so quiet.
    I made good time and was soon back to the hill I had run down at the start of my run and again not as bad as I expected except for a bad camber in the road. I felt it a little in my left hip so I moved into the middle of the road thankfully it was a very quiet road one of those little country lane types with long grass growing up the middle.
    I managed a slow run up most of it till the very steep bit just at the top and then a downhill run.

I was very happy when I finished, I changed my clothes and runners and walked over to help set up the registration for the race and noticed I had a pain on the outside of my right knee :eek: I didn't think too much thinking it would go away and was busy with the race which went great :). but nope it was sore for the rest of that day but only when I walked nothing when standing or sitting.

It's a lot better today and its likely caused by the bad camber in the road it was the first thing my hubby asked and Liam when I chatted to him today! he changed my plan and we shall see how it goes tomorrow it will be late when I get a chance to run so hopefully all will be good!

I am a bit slow to update :cool:

But that knee came back to bite me

Feb 18 - 24

Monday rest
    knee felt good all discomfort was gone so was relieved

Tuesday
    planned Tempo run warm up, 28 minutes tempo, cool down

warm up was fine no issues so started the tempo and lasted about 15 minutes and my knee started to really hurt slowed down and then decided to pull the plug very sore when I stopped to walk so rang hubby to pick me up.

booked in with physio and tight IT band OUCH!!! loads of S&C to do and rest the knee till Sunday

Wed - Saturday rest
    S&C from physio

Sunday
    planned 12 miles fast finish
    actual 3.7 miles very easy
    felt a few twinges but all good took a few walk breaks to make sure the knee was ok

Feb 25 - 3rd March

Monday rest

Tuesday
    the plan this week was to keep everything easy and see how it goes all was going well but started to feel my knee again :eek: called it a day and walked ran back 2 friends stayed with me so I would not be on my own

S&C
    back to resting again spoke to physio and Liam and both said rest and S&C trying not to freak out !!!

Friday
    30 mins extra easy
    testing the knee to see how it is and much better barely a niggle! happy days
    S&C

Sunday
    another very busy day! Out to Woodstock Gardens for another IMRA race and my first race as a Race director, it went great no one got lost and all came back smiling !! happy days :D even the rain did not dampen anyone spirits.

after we got home, I headed out to do 8 miles hubby had 20 to do so I had good company for my run. not long after leaving the house the rain turned to sleet and then snow! Baltic!! I don't think I have ever taken as long to warm up running. The first mile was very hard into driving snow and wind, my watch either did not like the cold or being covered but it stopped recording around 3 miles and deleted what I had ran. I checked to see why it was buzzing on my wrist and had to wear it over my jacket.
    5 miles in and I felt really good even though we were finding it hard running on slushy wet snow which was sticking the odd niggle from the knee we had to stop once or twice to cross the road and checked how it was walking all good so carried on.
    I was happy when I finished felt good and I could have kept going! :)
    S&C
    rolled my quads and felt much better and some stretching.

woke up this morning and quads, calfs are feeling the effort of yesterday run

Back to physio tomorrow evening and see what he says!

Bohermeen half on Sunday FX I make it now

• Advertisement

Good luck with physio tonight, I really hope all goes well and you make Bohermeen

Good luck with physio tonight, I really hope all goes well and you make Bohermeen

So do I, it's more yes than no at the minute hoping it stays that way :)

Current update after physio, all is good and I am good to go :D he worked on IT band again and it was a little tight higher up in my hip and then below my knee but he happy for me to run on Sunday

feeling much better now :)

Delighted you got good news at physio.

Good luck with the run on Sunday, have a good one. :)

gypsylee wrote: »
    Delighted you got good news at physio.

Good luck with the run on Sunday, have a good one. :)

Thanks, Gypslee :) I am looking forward to it now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Good luck on Sunday. Enjoy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Good luck N, hope it goes great!

G'luck N. Hope you have a great run, can't wait to hear about it.

Ah thanks, ladies :D I am looking forward to it now it will be a huge milestone for me

after my 8 miles on Sunday, I decided to rest for most of the week running in slushy wet snow is some workout calfs/quads and my core mainly sides were feeling it on Monday

Friday, I went out for 30 mins extra easy to loosen out the legs a nice run and no issues with knees or anything else

Bohermeen Half Marathon
    With so little running in the last 2 weeks thanks to a niggly knee, I must admit I did not feel as prepared for this as I had hoped I also had my doubts if I make it with my knee. But thankfully everything sorted itself out in the end and I woke up this morning feeling very nervous and excited!!

The plan was to take it easy and see how I would do! I had no time in mind! well, maybe one I did not want to get does that count! But mainly I wanted to enjoy it and not push my self so hard I would need days to recover.

I got to catch up with Browneyes and Skyblue and briefly Daz who all ran amazingly! well done again.

We had a heavy snow/ sleet shower 15 mins before the start and instead of heading to the start line. we all bailed back inside LOL my feet and hands were numb with the cold Baltic in the wind!
    But it cleared and the sun came out as Browneyes and I jogged down to the start making it just in time.

Miles 1 to 3 passed really quickly and I felt very comfortable checked my watch mainly for pace but decided to forget about the dam thing. I was not chasing a time so whatever my finishing time was so be it. I took some water at the water station high fived some kids and was in a nice group lots of chatting going on.
    miles 4 to 5
    In to the dam headwind, I found my self on my own so caught up with a few ladies in front of me and settled in worked a little but no escaping the wind so just moved on a little.

Miles 6 to 7
    Seen the first Man gliding past me not a bother one him at all, had some laughs with two lads on bikes asked if they wanted to swap! no chance they said LOL. passing the finish line was nice plenty of support from people out and felt downhill or maybe because the wind was now at our backs!

Miles 7 to 10
    felt like it was getting a little harder wind was back and uphill drag that seemed to last forever ( Flat my a**e LOL) I was delighted to see 10-mile marker I was defiantly going to finish.

Miles 10 to 13.1
    Oh, I found this hard work, I think mainly in my mind, knowing I was in new territory as had not run past 10 miles in training and possible the wind and uphill drag as well. Mile 11 was long and hard work into the wind I seen my hubby again at the top of the hill! he asked how I was doing I said working hard :P it was time to dig deep only 2 miles to go! I just kept telling my self forward motion is motion and I could do it.

At last, I passed the 12-mile marker and thought about if I could pick it up a little I think I did a tiny bit but decided to just relax and keep moving,
    at last, we turned the corner and the finish line was in sight. Pushed on a little nothing crazy probably 6 min Km pace. loads of support from finishers and others which really keeps you going saw Daz here and he encouraged me on I think I managed a wave.

I could see the finish line and then went for it! I think I passed one or two here a nice little boost. collected my medal and top and checked my time delighted a lot faster than I expected and I felt good quads were feeling good! my knee was a tiny bit painful but eased off very quickly. nothing from Achilles.
    Finishing time was 2:15:56 chip time considering at one point I thought I would never run a half again! I am over the moon

I did feel a little bit sick & tried to get a cuppa but it was crazy inside so we decided to head on! had some lunch a mini nap in the car and felt great!
    only found out there should have been goody bags but they ran out very early on and no fruit.

I think going forward I like to regain feeling comfortable at HM distance and aim for a faster finish. then target a PB or that may happen naturally anyway.:D

Also thanks for all the lovely comments on strava they mean a lot

Thanks for reading

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done again Niamh. So delighted for you.

Great running N. Well done. Delighted it went well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Congrats on the race, great report too!!

You did brilliant, that was a really great achievement for you. No stopping you now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Great stuff Niamh. You were still looking strong and comfortable on the home stretch when I seen you

As always it was lovely seeing you again. I’m delighted it went so well for you yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Fantastic to read this, well done!! Lots more to look forward to now too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Delighted to see it went so well!

• Advertisement

Thank you :D

I got my new plan off coach today and it looks great with a few scary sessions eek

Tomorrow is a recovery run and feeling very good my RHR is back down since yesterday and any little bit of doms has gone :)

Advertisement