Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What the mind believes the Body achieves!

• 08-11-2017 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭

Never in my wildest dreams when I started the C25K one sunny Sunday afternoon on the 14 August 2016 to be exact :) That I would train for and complete my first Marathon all thanks to the Novices thread and of course my hubby who was roped in to run all the LSR with me:D
    I have been a lurker on Boards following some great training logs from running to adventure racing. But it was a post up in a running group on Facebook that led me to the novices group here. The best decision I ever made, I learnt so much and it was a great journey with some great strangers from the internet :D

A little background, I will try to keep it short! :D I was very active all through my childhood mostly horseriding lived and breathed them,Then we started a family moved to Australia then back home again finished adding to the family LOL and wanted to get fit and lose weight I think I have cracked the fitness and I am still working on the weight loss very proud I reached my 2 and a half stone mark during training for marathon. I hope by next year I will reach my target just in time to have another bash at DCM18

Not really sure what to do with my self now, I want to incorporate some speed work into my running and I have been looking at 5k training plans that will keep me half marathon fit as well. just to work out a plan and follow it.

But first I have the Gingerbread half at the end of the month, so easing my way back into it

Distance old PB Current PB Goal PB
    5k 31.21 27.40 26.00
    10k 1.09.56 57.20 56.00
    Half - 2.11.00 2.08.00
    Marathon - 4.57.27 4.32.00

Sorry, this is messy! I really need to learn how to insert a table, I have been trying for the last hour while my nearly 2 year old has wrecked havoc in the kitchen lol

My current PB all were achieved during the early weeks of the Marathon training plan. So hoping I can improve over the next year.

Thanks for reading so far sorry it was so long ( this is the edited shortened version)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Followed. I look forward to reading N.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Delighted to see you create a log. Bet you smash all those goals!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

You forgot to mention your cycling exploits :D

Good luck with the goals, you will blow through those targets way quicker than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats on the marathon. Great achievement in just over a year.

You will achieve all you goals if you continue training with consistency. Best of luck with them.

PS to do a table, separate your columns with this | and then highlight your table information and click the insert table icon(blue square)(17th across)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Good luck with all your targets from a strange stranger from the Internet. I have to agree about keeping intros short. Some people are guilty of just waffling on and on! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Distance|old PB|Current PB|Goal PB
    5k | 31.21 | 27.40 | 26.00
    10k | 1.09.56 | 57.20 | 56.00
    Half | na | 2.11.00 | 2.08.00
    Marathon| na| 4.57.27 | 4.32.00

what a super log title :) welcome to the logs, really looking forward to following this especially with your mix of adventure races and running :) You will smash those targets very quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Baby75 wrote: »
    Sorry, this is messy! I really need to learn how to insert a table, I have been trying for the last hour

All the best people cant do tables :cool:

I Normally just put my stuff out there, wait for a bit and AGYG will be along and do it for me..........

:P:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I Normally just put my stuff out there, wait for a bit and AGYG will be along and do it for me..........

:o:o I was only trying to help :D. I could't do a table until hillsiderunner did something similar for me #payitforward :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Great to see this log starting off :)

Those "goal PBs" are going to be replaced in no time! Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Ah thank you all :D such a lovely welcome

annapr I was adding it in but it made the intro to long :D I may add it to my Marathon report

Annie get your Run ooh thanks for fixing that it looks so much better :)

younganne I may get practising :)Thank you

• Advertisement

So Training so far this week,

Parkrun on Saturday morning 5km in 28.20 minutes
    It was great to be able to get out with a few friends in the morning sunshine it was a bit chilly,I left my DCM finishers top on :D anyone else wearing it any chance they get LOL, the Carlow park run is a mixture of road, track and grass as you run along the barrow and back in again finishing in the park, so a nice little run to make you stronger. I had forgotten how quick everyone can go off at in a 5km, once we started I felt we were moving very quickly, I looked down at my watch and it was very fast, so eased off as it was my first run back after DCM, I need not of worried as soon as we hit the track, which was all uneven as they are doing some work on it, you had to slow down. the effort felt hard at points but I really enjoyed it. the coffee and chats afterwards finished the morning off nicely. body felt good except for two tiny blisters under the same toenail on each foot so painful.

I rested Sunday and Monday apart from walking

Tuesday 7th: a nice easy 8km felt a few niggles during it my right knee and tightness in my legs and top of foot I think some stretching and foam rolling is in order

Wednesday (today): Crosstraining tonight a nice hour at spinning followed by foam rolling which was cut short as my youngest woke up

The plan is an easy run tomorrow and Friday with a long run Sunday. I am not sure what distance to do yet The Gingerbread is coming up on the 19th and I want to make sure I do not overdo it I was thinking 13 to 15km or 20 maybe

I’m loving flaunting my new top - wore it for Parkrun Saturday and for this morning’s run too!

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I’m loving flaunting my new top - wore it for Parkrun Saturday and for this morning’s run too!

You're seriously chasing that 1000 miles! No 2 week marathon recovery for you!! Yes I have worn the top on my few runs since DCM...shoulda got 2 or 3 of them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

Yay another new log, brilliant. Well done on all you've achieved so far and good luck with the goals, i'm looking foward to reading the reports of you smashing them ;)

Ahem, I've told you how to do tables and put them in for you too. . . .but "you can't teach an (old dog) AuldMan new tricks" spring to mind!!!!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Well done in the marathon and best of luck with the new goals :)

I was thinking, when you are trying to figure out your training paces for easy runs, tempo etc do you use a training time or a race PB time ... I know a little late to be asking LOL It had crossed my mind before, but I was helping a friend figure out her LSR pace and she used a 10km time but it was not a race time!
    Or does it even matter which you use!

Wednesday 09/11: 5.5k 33 minutes
    This ended up being a little faster than I expected, I felt like I was running easy and was using an app on my phone for time rather than watching my pace all the time, the app had pace and 1km wrong so had to look at my watch and pace was a little too fast. it did not feel fast it felt slower so I was very surprised, at about the halfway point I felt tightness in my hamstring so stopped to rest it and stretch twice, it felt fine for the return journey home, but it hurt later on so I iced it and no issues today. I think my body is telling me to keep to the 6.30 KM-minute pace for a while longer.

my foot has started to bother me, nothing too painful more of a niggle/tightness across the top of it, it does not hurt when running I am wondering if it is to do with landing on a water bottle during DCM or something else so I am going to physio tomorrow nip it in the bud.

Friday 10/11: 12KM
    We promised a friend we go out on her long run with her, She was worried about being too slow for us LOL yikes not a chance. So a nice easy 12km wet and cold run. which went very quickly while chatting, the only thing to note was it was freezing my hands and arms were numb when we finished

Saturday Physio

All is good :) some tight tendons in my foot, he worked on them and muscles in my lower leg I've more exercises and need to get a little ball to roll under my foot. rest day today I will foam roll and do some S&C

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rururun

To be fair if I had earnt that top I would never take it off!!

I was thinking, when you are trying to figure out your training paces for easy runs, tempo etc do you use a training time or a race PB time ... I know a little late to be asking LOL It had crossed my mind before, but I was helping a friend figure out her LSR pace and she used a 10km time but it was not a race time!
    Or does it even matter which you use!

I was gong to a personal trainer while training for Cork and he put together a marathon plan for me. I had a half marathon pace so he based my training on that and runs were supposed to be at a certain % of that pace. I wasn’t very good at sticking to it though so I generally go by feel or how I’m breathing. I know what paces I can keep going at. Saying that, I could probably get faster if I did follow a plan including particular paces.

Enjoy Gingerbread half on Sunday N. I'm not going after all so catch up at the next event.

• Advertisement

Younganne wrote: »
    Enjoy Gingerbread half on Sunday N. I'm not going after all so catch up at the next event.

Thanks :) going with a good crew so just going to enjoy the day out see you soon I have no doubt! possibly Waterford maybe if your not doing Jingle bells :)

I was gong to a personal trainer while training for Cork and he put together a marathon plan for me. I had a half marathon pace so he based my training on that and runs were supposed to be at a certain % of that pace. I wasn’t very good at sticking to it though so I generally go by feel or how I’m breathing. I know what paces I can keep going at. Saying that, I could probably get faster if I did follow a plan including particular paces.

I used my half time for my marathon pace I just wonder if a normal training run would be better than a PB for planning your different paces :)

I used my half time for my marathon pace I just wonder if a normal training run would be better than a PB for planning your different paces :)

Oh I get you. Good question. I would say I trained for Dublin based on training paces.

Oh I get you. Good question. I would say I trained for Dublin based on training paces.

It's a hard one for newbies to work out because we don't have a good bulk of race paces to work from. I trained for DCM based on the pace I would need for 3:59:59. I could probably have trained a little faster. Aim high missus and slow it down if you feel it's a step too far. Is there much difference between the two paces?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    It's a hard one for newbies to work out because we don't have a good bulk of race paces to work from. I trained for DCM based on the pace I would need for 3:59:59. I could probably have trained a little faster. Aim high missus and slow it down if you feel it's a step too far. Is there much difference between the two paces?

For me no, actually just checking between HM times in training and race about 5 minutes max or less really

QUOTE OF THE WEEK!
    ''Life was Meant for Good Friends & Great Adventure''

Well that is the theme for tomorrow :D I am really looking forward to the Gingerbread run, loads of friends are running for a few it is their first Half and as it is so soon after DCM I am reminding my self to take it easy!

Training this week,
    consisted of a lot of walking, ran 15km on Wednesday which I really enjoyed but my lower calf was sore that evening ( all good now though) I think the body is still recovering. Spin class which was very good, plenty of S&C and more walking.

Really missing having a plan to follow looking forward to the new year and finding one to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Tomorrow sounds like a great chance to get out with your friends for more of a social run....one to enjoy with no pressure.

Who would have thought it would have got to the point where you could say that about a 1/2 marathon.
    QUOTE OF THE WEEK!
    ''Life was Meant for Good Friends & Great Adventure''

Well that is the theme for tomorrow :D I am really looking forward to the Gingerbread run, loads of friends are running for a few it is their first Half and as it is so soon after DCM I am reminding my self to take it easy!

Training this week,
    consisted of a lot of walking, ran 15km on Wednesday which I really enjoyed but my lower calf was sore that evening ( all good now though) I think the body is still recovering. Spin class which was very good, plenty of S&C and more walking.

Really missing having a plan to follow looking forward to the new year and finding one to follow

scotindublin very true :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I may be misunderstanding the question and apologies if I am, but I've always used a recent race PB to work out training paces. I guess it depends on what method you're using, though. The current plan I'm using has a table for working out your training paces based on a recent 5k time. This calculator, which was used on last year's graduate thread, allows you to input a PB from a recent race and then gives you training paces based on that:
    http://www.runfastcoach.com/calc2/index.php

Or just turn by heart rate but that brings its own complications.

• Advertisement

Huzzah! wrote: »
    I may be misunderstanding the question and apologies if I am, but I've always used a recent race PB to work out training paces. I guess it depends on what method you're using, though. The current plan I'm using has a table for working out your training paces based on a recent 5k time. This calculator, which was used on last year's graduate thread, allows you to input a PB from a recent race and then gives you training paces based on that:
    http://www.runfastcoach.com/calc2/index.php

Or just turn by heart rate but that brings its own complications.

Thanks, Huzzah, That helps a lot :) and good to see I am within my paces going by that link

Advertisement