Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the mind believes the Body achieves!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

ariana` wrote: »
    Great report well done!

Have you tried lock laces? They're cheap enough and handy out... good for the kids too ;)

+1 to that. The speedcross come with lock laces so you don't have to worry about them opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Great report N!! well done :D, it looked damn tough to me!! I was driving around Ballinstoe looking for the half start and got fairly lost so it was well after 12 before I spotted some runners up through a gap in the trees, parked the car and headed for that. There were two guys manning a water table but I'm still completely confused as to which way people were going / coming from at that point!!! The guys told me the Ultra halfway point was 2km away so I started jogging in that direction hoping to see Neady and offering support to everyone as they passed by, I think I had missed you and denisb by this point though.

Any more crazy mountain runs on your agenda?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Ariana, Thanks :) now that is a great idea!
    Neady83 wrote: »
    +1 to that. The speedcross come with lock laces so you don't have to worry about them opening.

I am going to go online searching now :D do you buy yours online it would be nice to try them on beforehand
    Great report N!! well done :D, it looked damn tough to me!! I was driving around Ballinstoe looking for the half start and got fairly lost so it was well after 12 before I spotted some runners up through a gap in the trees, parked the car and headed for that. There were two guys manning a water table but I'm still completely confused as to which way people were going / coming from at that point!!! The guys told me the Ultra halfway point was 2km away so I started jogging in that direction hoping to see Neady and offering support to everyone as they passed by, I think I had missed you and denisb by this point though.

Any more crazy mountain runs on your agenda?

Pity we did not have trackers :D we will cross paths again I am sure :) next big run will be the Clare Burren Marathon but I will be hitting the mountains on training runs leading up to it
    Brandon Hill with IMRA is in 2 weeks I was hoping to run that but have been asked to help out with the laptop :D

Need to do better at logging :o but it has been a fairly quiet 2 weeks

Tuesday 10th April
    5.5km
    35 minutes
    A nice easy run to flush out any lingering lactic acid, I was delighted how quickly I recovered and legs were not as sore at all as my recce of the route for the Maurice Mullins. worked in my warm up and stretches when I finished as well as calf exercises.

Wednesday
    Rest woke up and Achilles felt a little tender eek eased off as the day went on

Thursday 12th April
    10km
    1.04 hour
    Kept to soft ground and ran along the barrow track it was a lovely evening and I was so happy to escape for a an hour! we had a phone call with some bad news about a family member and babysitter for the weekend called to say they might not make it down to mind kids while we went to Donegal! I was conscious of my legs and wondering about every twinge I felt but apart from a pain in one spot on the inside of my calf and feet felt a little sore all was good.

Friday 13 th April

rest on the way to Donegal for the Race ( babysitter came through)

Saturday 14th
    4km run
    warmed up with hubby for Muckish and also ran up it to try and find one of the lads taking part, he lost his phone which he dropped when he took a tumble. met my friend and the only lady of our group coming down and phone had been found so we bounded back down great fun ( tempted to sign to the seven sisters run taking in all the peaks so beautiful ) Muckish has to have been my favorite part of the day. But what a day it was, I was in awe and the lads my hubby and his teammates did amazing great event but a very hard one!

Sunday 15th
    I woke up so sore and stiff I felt like I had run for miles the day before and my lower calf's/ Achilles was throbbing! not happy, I can only guess it was all the standing, walking some running we all did the day before

Monday
    still feeling sore, read a thread on boards on issues relating to Achilles which scared the life out of me! messaged Physio who booked me in for Friday and I was to rest I could try a cycle and I could swim or try a short run.

Tuesday
    more rest body was feeling much better worked on S&C and got hubby to rub my lower calf's which worked a treat.

Wednesday
    27km cycle
    lovely cycle great to get out in the fresh air sun was shining but the wind was so strong had a few near whoa moments going by gates :D not to mention a very strong headwind on my way out nearly slow you to a stop at times.

Thursday
    5.5km 38 minutes
    walked 5 minutes ran 20 minutes and finished with a walk to cool down. it was a beautiful day and I am very happy to report no issues at all with either leg. So I am feeling much better . still going to physio tomorrow as I know that it could still come back it just settles with rest. but it is not good if I can not run consistently.

Friday
    Cycle to and from physio 12 km
    Physio
    all went better than I had hoped for, I have a plan now to keep me going building up time on my feet until I have no issues :) so plan for now is run 20 minutes a day and instead of my Long run cycle, run 20 and or swim with some pool running and exercises todo :)
    I also have heel lifts in my runners that I have to wear. I really hope this will be the end of it! scary to read some people suffer for months or years!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

What was Muckish like? I've climbed Errigal and Knockalla. Can see Muckish from my inlaws front window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Delighted to read that your leg is better. Such a relief for you.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    What was Muckish like? I've climbed Errigal and Knockalla. Can see Muckish from my inlaws front window.

From what I saw and ran I loved it, I know you can walk up the miner's road, but the contestants from the race ran up a track found a video on youtube herehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLjfFKPg66E
    I have some pictures but not sure how to share them here. So I think to really know is get on the trail runners or boots and check it out :)

gypsylee wrote: »
    Delighted to read that your leg is better. Such a relief for you.

It is getting there slowly :) not 100% yet and still only allowed a limited time running, I took a rest day after the weekend so will get out tomorrow.
    Very happy I got out on the bike yesterday and no issues apart from feeling wiped after it. :D

Nothing much to report!

Still following physio instructions and exercises
    Still doing my allowed runs and joined a few friends for park run on Saturday great fun and got a course PB

Joined a new club and tried out one of their classes core and cardio really enjoyed it and I got the go-ahead to try spin class again and went to one last night in the new club! Monday night is running I am really looking forward to that they focus on correct posture and technique we will do drills and some interval work.

A little update

Back with physio for once over and see how I was doing, he is very happy with me and told me well done it was all down to me and not him as to how well I am doing :) yay go me LOL my knee was a little niggly so he had a quick check my patella tendon is a little irritated from overcompensating when my Achilles was sore but it will be fine.
    I also got the go-ahead to get back to some Hill's but I can build distance again

Now all I need to do is recover from a nasty infection, no running this weekend :( but another little yay moment, when I went to the doctor he took my pulse and looked surprised he said OH do you walk a lot I said I run! he then told me I had an athletic heart no more than 62 beats per minute :D he was very impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

All positive N and well done for having the patience to pull back and allow yourself to heal. Hope that infection goes away fast.

• Advertisement

Thank's K, So do I feeling a bit better today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Great news, well done to you! Now get well soon x

Great news, well done to you! Now get well soon x

Thanks, Ariana I am feeling much better today :)

I was leaving updating until I was back training properly but have decided to log my recovery maybe it will help others with problems with Achilles tendonitis

The first 6 weeks after 2 physio appointments I was given my exercises to do each day and started S&C

Back to running taking it very slowly, my physio gave me instructions: I could run every day starting at 20 minutes with a 10 minute warm and cool down ( walking)
    I followed that but ran every other day increasing time on feet I was doing great no pain anymore and only a little tenderness which went completely.

Once I managed 30 minutes with no issues, which I did I could progress to a normal training plan again, I had seen my physio for a once over and I wrote about in a previous update.

I started week 1 of the base plan for boards Grads plan last week really enjoyed it esp the progression run leg felt great so I was delighted. But I had a mini set back last week and I was sore again on Friday which caused me to panic and lots of messages sent to physio :o Who reassured me! I was not a happy girl at all.

Week 7 starting slowly again
    Tuesday 29/05
    Run 20 minutes nice and easy leg felt really good ( I did not put it on strava ) I probably won't until I can train properly again.

S&C a great class really enjoyed it, I got a bit of tenderness in my groin on one of the exercises but our Instructor gave me something else to do instead. we did some nice stretches when we finished and whatever it was it went away :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Baby steps N and you'll get there, you have my sympathies though, I know how frustrating that injury is. Thankfully you can do S&C and biking while the Achilles is on the mend :) and please do keep logging, it's great for yourself to look over and for others if they have a similar injury

Neady83 wrote: »
    Baby steps N and you'll get there, you have my sympathies though, I know how frustrating that injury is. Thankfully you can do S&C and biking while the Achilles is on the mend :) and please do keep logging, it's great for yourself to look over and for others if they have a similar injury

So glad I can do something all right and the S&C will only help me when I get back running regularly again.

I am hoping if I take it very easy again, I will be on track by the end of the month for DCM :)

Baby75 wrote: »
    So glad I can do something all right and the S&C will only help me when I get back running regularly again.

I am hoping if I take it very easy again, I will be on track by the end of the month for DCM :)

You will N, hang in there. Why no strava though if you don't mind me asking? Even for yourself to look back on?

You will N, hang in there. Why no strava though if you don't mind me asking? Even for yourself to look back on?

I was putting pressure on my self and silly as it may sound I felt I should be doing more than 3 or 4 km. So to make sure, I did not go that extra bit I stopped sharing! in hindsight maybe silly as good to look back on, but I do have them in my app for my watch :)

feeling much better about it all this week and have a plan to get me to the start of DCM training

so will be logging it all from now on :D

Time to start logging again!

Last week my Achilles started hurting again after attempting the Boards Grad plan which made me a very unhappy little runner and resulted in lots of messages back and forth to my physio with me freaking out!! I even considered taking a break from running to which my physio advised against he said a lot more and advised me what to do this week.

So I rested for 4 days and all settled again, moving forward my physio wants me to log any discomfort and the cut off is 3 out of 10 but I have to take note of the begging middle and end of run/cycle, also it has to settle in 24 hours.

Monday 28/05/18
    Start :0
    Middle: 1
    End:0
    Run easy with Warm up and cool down walking for 53 minutes AVG 7 min KM
    I did not enjoy this run at all, I was in a panic that I have pain and it felt like it was a harder effort than it should have been, I was also worried I hold the lads back and my quads were hurting when I finished up. I let the lads go on and I walked back to the car's with one of the other lads who finished up early as well

Tuesday 29/05/18
    S&C
    Start :0
    Middle:0
    End : 0
    A great class I really enjoyed it, the instructor is excellent and was so helpful, On one of the exercises we had to do some lunges and I had a funny pain in my groin bit like a cramp! it went as quickly as it came I did worry what was going on though.

Wednesday 30/05/18
    Run
    Start: 0
    Middle: 6
    End:1
    4km AVG 6.48km pace

Easy run with the girls whom are so good and have no problem slowing down with me, all felt good but coming up to 4km both my lower calves to my heels hurt I had to stop and walk thankfully my two companions did not mind :(
    Que more worried messages to Physio and appointment booked on Thursday morning for Saturday.

Thursday 31/05/18
    rest I was so happy to wake up and my Achilles felt a little stiff which goes very quickly but no pain.

Friday 1/06/18
    Run 5km avg 6.33 km pace
    Start: 0
    Middle: 1/5
    End:0
    I had not planned on getting out for a run but took a notion as I felt really good so I decided to see how it would go. warmed up and took a few walking breaks in the first 2km:eek: I need to cop on, any incline I felt OMG what if I hurt my self-moment, my confidence was low. I was not paying any attention to my pace just checking the time on my watch. ran for 32 minutes stopped the watch and was delighted to see 5km and no issues bar a little niggle that went away in the middle of my run. walked my warm up and cool down came home and did my own S&C glute bridges, core work, and press ups. Heel rises and lastly stretching.

Saturday 2/6/18
    Physio
    All good keep going with my exercises leaving out eccentric heel drops, for now, I had dry needling on Achilles tendon and he used ultrasound on my heel where the tendon inserts into the heel! :( we had a chat about what happened since I seen him last. It was only in passing I mentioned I had been really sick and on a lot of meds which he asked what kind that may have been the reason my Achilles has been bothering me again when all was going so well. One of the tablets I was on can increase your risk of injury and I already had issues, to begin with!

Sunday 3/06/18
    Cycle 44km avg 23.7km 1hr 53 minutes
    Start : 0
    Middle: 1
    End : 0

After a great morning watching the tracker for the Cork Marathon and following KellyGirl ( well done again some woman :)) I got out for a cycle with the hubby lovely day but sooo hot we cycled from Carlow to Pauls town stopping in Paulstown for a cold drink and then home heel was a little niggle before we stopped and a little once I got going again. I think it was my runners pressing in on my foot! but it eased off and no issues when I stopped. it was a tough enough cycle loads of drags and some rolling hills. My quads knew they were working so I felt slow. I was very happy with my avg pace. made up for not being able to get out for a long run. stretched when I finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done N. Really hope you are on the mend now.

Thanks for the mention and all the support.

• Advertisement

One step forward, two steps back ;)

Not much to report a little bit of running then S&C try to run again and have to stop or skip it all together :( very frustrating , I noticed a pattern I was fine on a Monday to run but come Wednesday I couldn't by Friday I may or not be ok last Friday I was not feeling good enough to run! So I reached out for help and so glad I did.

So while I could not run, I had great fun watching others take on the Wicklow Way race 127km ( if you do not get lost)
    It started in Clonegal here in Carlow at midnight and Neady and two of my husbands friends from work were taking it on :)

We had great fun following along jumped in to help at one of the checkpoints everyone was doing great in the heat and the attack of flying monsters ( midges) ouch at iron bridge. I felt so sorry for runners coming in, it was their first chance to change clothes, runners and eat but no one hung around for long including Neady who came through way earlier than planned :)

On to Crone woods, met the lovely Annie get your run! cue are you so and so from boards pft who needs real names anyway :D love it lol, it was lovely chatting to you and your lovely little dog . lots of cheering and clapping as runners came through including the two lads and Neady who were so nice and running together for us.

We were committed now! we had to follow to the finish line at Marley park but first a stop of at the last checkpoint before the finish so glad we did! I got to meet and chat briefly to Enduro :) lovely man he was out showing support and had great words of encouragement.

The finish line was in Marley park and the end to a fantastic day cheered everyone through including the two lads & Neady who finished so strong delighted for her, I know she is working on her report so do read it when it's up to find out how well she did.
    Also got to meet Nop :) great chatting to you as well ( if you ever read this :p)

So yea back to me I guess, a new plan of action more exercises and changing S&C focus more on core work, a new running plan that will adapt with how much I can do main aim is DCM feeling positive I will make the start line now.

Best of luck with the comeback N, fingers crossed it's onward & upwards from here!

Best of luck with the comeback N, fingers crossed it's onward & upwards from here!

3rd time is the charm Ariana :D all positive this week so far!!!! I will update on Sunday

A new week and a fresh start again:)

Monday 11 may
    Rest
    Eccentric heel drops

Tuesday 12 May
    Run 5km 34 mins, I have gotten used to these slower paces running slower now than I did last year when I started training for DCM. it does play with my head though. Can I run fast again! well for me that is LOL.
    Anyway, the run went fine a little niggly ( little tightness possibly) a little longer than planned. forgot to check plan beforehand oops
    eccentric heel drops

Wednesday 13 May
    S&C basic core
    Enjoyed this, but I am so weak at the side plank left worse than right
    eccentric heel drops

Thursday 14 May
    Run
    15 mins zone 1, zone 2, Zone 3
    eccentric heel drops

Friday 15 may
    eccentric heel drops
    S&C core

Saturday 16 may
    Run 25 mins zone 1
    eccentric heel drops
    S&C core

Sunday 17 May
    Eccentric heel drops

Conclusion
    first good week in a long time, Achilles a little niggly but a lot better than last week. Delighted to have a plan and actually complete it successfully. week 1 down and I am looking forward to next week.

Week 2

Run Monday 18/6/75
    5 mins zone 1,2,3 ( 3.7km)
    Lovely run really enjoyed it and no pain or niggles at all :) I could have kept going for longer!
    Stretching, foam rolling legs and feet and my glutes and back my QL felt very tight and tender I am blaming my toddler. I got a great little ball ( torture device) it has little spikes on it hurts like a B!!! but works wonders.
    Eccentric heel drops twice a day

Tuesday 19/6/18
    S&C still hate side planks :eek: they are evil but I will persevere :cool:
    Eccentric heel drops 15 reps of straight leg& bent knee twice a day
    Foam rolling again and QL muscle all good :)

Wednesday 20/6/18
    Run 25mins zone 1( 3.3km)
    another nice run
    Stretching and Foam rolling
    Eccentric heel drops

Thursday 21/6/18
    Same as Tuesday S&C more reps
    Eccentric heel drops

Friday 22/6/18
    Run 5 mins Z1/ 15 mins Z2 / 5mins Zone 2 ( 3.8km)
    Must be the nice weather, but really enjoying getting out and feel I could keep going for longer! running by feel is taking a bit of getting used to and I noticed my pace was a little quicker for the same effort. I slowed down again just in case.
    Eccentric heel drops

Saturday 23/6/18
    Cycle 44km 2 hours
    Really wanted to run LOL so got out the bike and had a lovely cycle on my own
    S&C and eccentric Heel drops

Conclusion;
    I think another good week in the bag, I spoke to my physio/ coach about adding in a 4th running day. He advised me to be very careful this week I am feeling good and responding but if I get ahead of my self I could be back to square 1 again! No thank you not going to let that happen!

Still a ? mark over DCM :eek: We are going to work towards it, but I may not be 100% So not feeling very confident at the minute! must stay positive :cool:

Just had to update!

More feedback, I have to add weight to eccentric heel drops for left leg :)

Plus I may have misunderstood/focused on one point in his feedback and came to the wrong conclusion OOOPS

So good news is, I will and can train for DCM I just won't be chasing a time! so I guess I am like a novice all over again :D

Just had to update!

More feedback, I have to add weight to eccentric heel drops for left leg :)

Plus I may have misunderstood/focused on one point in his feedback and came to the wrong conclusion OOOPS

So good news is, I will and can train for DCM I just won't be chasing a time! so I guess I am like a novice all over again :D

OMG why aren't you shouting this from the roof tops????? Super news, just brilliant delighted for you. And what harm if you're not chasing a time, you will probably enjoy it a lot more and have a lot better chances of having a medal wrapped around your neck on October 28th. I'm seriously considering the same to be honest, I had a brilliant experience last year just running it to get around and i got the same medal than if i'd gone 10-15 minutes quicker :)

OMG why aren't you shouting this from the roof tops????? Super news, just brilliant delighted for you. And what harm if you're not chasing a time, you will probably enjoy it a lot more and have a lot better chances of having a medal wrapped around your neck on October 28th. I'm seriously considering the same to be honest, I had a brilliant experience last year just running it to get around and i got the same medal than if i'd gone 10-15 minutes quicker :)

:D:D:D I have been walking around with a huge big smile on my face

I think, take the pressure of a time off run it comfortably and a PB may come naturally Ariana esp with more experience and miles in the legs but to just run it by feel and enjoy it really appeals to me I will be so happy when I finish it and have that Medal around my neck it may even mean more this year.

I guess today is day 1 of my road to DCM :D:D:D:D

:D:D:D I have been walking around with a huge big smile on my face

I think, take the pressure of a time off run it comfortably and a PB may come naturally Ariana esp with more experience and miles in the legs but to just run it by feel and enjoy it really appeals to me I will be so happy when I finish it and have that Medal around my neck it may even mean more this year.

I guess today is day 1 of my road to DCM :D:D:D:D

Ah just brilliant. I am delighted for you. Do you have a plan to follow or do you just get it week by week?

• Advertisement

Ah just brilliant. I am delighted for you. Do you have a plan to follow or do you just get it week by week?

Week by Week at the minute I think :)

I was so happy today getting out and running for 30 mins again :D even in the heat

Advertisement