Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the mind believes the Body achieves!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Ah that’s good news. a lot to be said for doing it just to enjoy it and not have time pressures there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Ah that’s good news. a lot to be said for doing it just to enjoy it and not have time pressures there.

I think I will still be quicker than last year as I will be running my own race not hanging back with my hubby and no stopping to go to the shop :D ( I already told him!) he is not cycling up this year but plans on taking his time!

I won't have a time stuck in my head I plan to run it by feel :) Hopefully, we all can meet up beforehand and or at the end in the pub!

Oh def. Was lovely meeting up beforehand last year and definitely after!!! I bet you’ll still get a pb considering you won’t be stopping to buy cans of coke etc :-)

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Oh def. Was lovely meeting up beforehand last year and definitely after!!! I bet you’ll still get a pb considering you won’t be stopping to buy cans of coke etc :-)

:D Yep I still laugh about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Baby75 wrote: »
    Just had to update!

More feedback, I have to add weight to eccentric heel drops for left leg :)

Plus I may have misunderstood/focused on one point in his feedback and came to the wrong conclusion OOOPS

So good news is, I will and can train for DCM I just won't be chasing a time! so I guess I am like a novice all over again :D

Yay! This is great news :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Delighted to hear that Baby and with exactly 18 weeks to go :) Boardsies reunion :)

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Yay! This is great news :D

Thanks Huzzah, the excitement is building for sure now
    Neady83 wrote: »
    Delighted to hear that Baby and with exactly 18 weeks to go :) Boardsies reunion :)

yep for sure, I am looking forward to chats and beer afterward's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Just catching up, great news!!! enjoy the training! Am laughing at your instructions to your hubby :D

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Brilliant news for you. Looking forward to reading your training reports. Good luck with the training.

Just catching up, great news!!! enjoy the training! Am laughing at your instructions to your hubby :D

Thank AGYR, it is his 40th so he plans on having a beer near the end :eek::D so he plans on taking it very handy LOL
    gypsylee wrote: »
    Brilliant news for you. Looking forward to reading your training reports. Good luck with the training.

Thanks, Gypsylee how are you doing all back on track I hope :)

• Advertisement

Week 3 done and dusted and not all plain sailing but I was prewarned and that helped a lot

Monday 25/6/18
    Run 5 mins Z 1, 20 mins Z2, 5 mins Z3
    So hot but enjoyed the run felt good legs feel great and fresh slight niggle again but finished ok
    S&C basic core! at last side-planks feel a little easier
    Eccentric heel drops twice a day
    Foam rolling and stretching

Tuesday 26/06/18
    S&C all upper body press-ups etc I really enjoyed this one

Wednesday 27/06/18
    Eccentric heel drops I got one set in!
    planned run
    30 mins zone 1
    actual none we surprised our little ones and took them camping to the beach in Wexford so lots of swimming in the ocean and fun in the sand, I expected to get out later that evening but It was my turn to be surprised when my sisters turned up for me for my birthday :D

Thursday 28/06/18
    Run 30 mins zone 1
    I was hoping by getting up early, I could avoid the heat esp with being near the sea and having a nice sea breeze! nope so hot at 7 am a beautiful location. so enjoyed my run again a little niggly ( I just want to feel nothing when I run, I guess all in good time)
    S&C I missed this one so need to fit it in another day! planned for Sunday instead
    But we had lovely walks in Raven woods in Curraloe ( I got eaten but horseflies) and more swimming

Friday 29/06/18
    swim again with kids before we had to come home!
    Eccentric Heel drops
    Stretching and foam rolling my lower calf's felt very tight

Saturday 30/6/18
    S&C lower body focusing on feet and ankles and then Glutes and hamstrings
    Run 5 mins zone 1, 20 mins zone 2 , 5 mins zone 1
    Another beautiful day and we came down to Waterford, I was on Cheer squad watching hubby and friends run in the Waterford Viking half marathon. We caught the bus to the start line and I watched the start and then used google maps to help me get back to the finish line 7km. so I walked some of it and knew I could get my run in when I had about 4km to go! I took one wrong turn but figured it out very quickly and made it to the finish line in plenty of time:) it was mostly flat or downhill for my run and I have to say I love my new runners esp for running downhill. I had a little more discomfort than I like on my run which worried me! but nothing like before when I had to stop everything and start again! but I messaged Liam and he reassured me he expected this and it is normal so we will keep going but watch it.
    I am wondering if I am feeling it because of all the walking in the sand over the last few days:confused:
    I think I caught way to much sun yesterday, it was so hot as we waited for everyone to finish my head started to throb and I was so thirsty when we got home.

Hubby was great tailwind worked a treat and he tried out the recovery drink when he finished I think it made a huge difference.

Update for next week!
    Progressing 35 mins mid week running and a longer run of 7km

PS 1st of July already:eek: that was a quick month!!!

Doing well N! Hopefully all goes well again next week.

Delighted to read your report. Here's to a good week for both of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Good to see the regular updates N. Hope this will be another good week for you.

Happy belated birthday :) bet the little ones were delighted with a surprise camping trip, you two are the most fun parents, love it :)

You're doing everything by the book, a model student, hopefully you'll be back to full tilt very soon

Happy belated birthday :) bet the little ones were delighted with a surprise camping trip, you two are the most fun parents, love it :)

You're doing everything by the book, a model student, hopefully you'll be back to full tilt very soon

They did :D we did not want to come home on Friday, but we can go again the campsite is only an hour away and very cheap per night

I really hope so, I had a wee wobble yesterday wondering will I ever get better after feeling few more akes and pains this week which worried me! But my better half did a great job reassuring me. It was hard missing out on the Viking run which I ran and loved last year and the cycle yesterday I had a 100km lenister loop entry but I had to pass it on :cool: but all in good time I guess!

Week 4 complete :D

Monday 2/7/18
    Run
    5 mins Zone 1, 20mins Zone 2, 10 mins Zone 3
    Good run the only complaint was it was so hot but hey good training I guess :)
    S&C basic core!

Tuesday 3/7/28
    upper body work out, press ups etc

Wednesday 4/7/18
    Run 5 mins Zone 1, 25 mins Zone 2, 5 mins Zone 1
    Notes from this run but no issues :)

Thursday 5/7/18
    Basic hip strength and prevention work out

Friday 6/7/18
    rest

Saturday 7/7/18
    Run 7KM ( fasted run)
    1k zone 1, 5k Zone 2, 1Km Zone 1
    Loved, loved, loved this run at last increasing time on feet and distance delighted to get it done and felt good apart from being hot!
    hamstring & Glutes work out
    Lower leg strength and prevention work out

Sunday
    Hiking with Hubby he ran I walked and loved it 13km and two blisters on the pads of my big toes OUCH :cool:

Feedback from Coach: still going by week to week for the moment but increase runs to 40 minutes and 8k ( yay) next weekend
    I now have a backpack with water in it when doing the eccentric heel drops and I have increased the weight again this week

Race Series South Dublin 10km is in 2 weeks bit nervous on how I will do eek

All looking really positive- delighted for you.

A good week for you. Great to see there are no injury issues. Well done.

Week 5 is a wrap!

It was a great week, leg feels good and I feel stronger, my pace is a lot slower but from reading up on it I think the heat is a huge factor there. I also got out on my mountain bike this week all very easy and slow :) I am looking forward to next week and the South Dublin 10km

Monday 9/7/18
    Run 40 minutes 5 min Zone 1, 25 mins Zone 2, 10 mins Zone 3 ( 5.8km)
    Legs felt a little heavy but that I expected that after hiking the day before :D it felt very hot even though I waited till late that evening!
    S&C Dynamic core work out

Tuesday 10/7/18
    Rest
    S&C Basic Bodyweight

Wednesday 11/7/18
    Run 40 mins 5 mins Zone 1, 30 mins Zone 2, 5 mins Zone 1 ( 6.4km)
    A nice run with a friend but again feeling the heat noticed heart rate was a little higher because of it.

Thursday 12/7/18
    S&C Hamstring and Glutes
    S&C lower leg and strength prevention

Friday 13/7/18
    Rest

Saturday 14/7/18
    Run 8k 1k zone 1, 6k Zone 2, 1 k zone 1
    I was hoping to get out early to avoid the heat as it was forecasted to be hot again but as it can happen that did not work out :D but I was delighted as hubby had 12 to do and wanted to run out along the Barrow track from Leighlinbridge out such a beautiful spot very runnable and loads to see run went great, legs felt great and loved having hubby company for some of it. The only issue was the heat it was like an oven the heat was reflecting off the water and some points you could feel the temperature rise as you approached it I had to stop twice to let my heart rate come down I felt like I was running flat out! it did worry me a little but resting heart rate is fine and chatting to my buddies from last year novices. I was relieved to learn the heat can increase your heart rate. I also really need to make sure I am hydrated and time to get some Zero tabs. thanks to Laraze for pointing me in the right direction :)

Also for all, you tailwind users, check out their page on facebook some great tips and ideas for using it on LSR and race day! I hope this link works and opens on the right information https://www.facebook.com/tailwindnutrition/photos/i've-combined-some-posts-on/698448420246768

• Advertisement

Week 6 :)

Slow and steady and staying patient = progress

Monday 16/7/18
    Rest
    Eccentric heel drops x2
    S&C Dynamic core

Tuesday 17/7/18
    Run 42 mins 5 mins Zone 1, 25 mins Zone 2, 12 mins Zone 3
    S&C with club
    run switched around this week so got out with friends for the club run, it was a bit of a hilly route so a little nervous about Achilles but no issues, I really enjoyed the S&C all core/glutes/hamstrings actually everything
    Eccentric heel drops x2

Wednesday 18/7/18
    rest
    Eccentric Heel dops X 2 sets of 15 straight leg and 15 with bent knee

Thursday 19/7/18
    Run 5mins Zone 1, 35 mins Zone 2, 5 mins Zone 1
    Nice easy run and great to get it done earlier in the day as I had a physio appointment that evening for a sports massage. which went very well he was very happy with my progress he gave me a few exercises to do for my ankles and hamstrings which I can start next week after the 10k

Eccentric Heel drops

Friday
    cycle 21.5km a lovely cycle with some friends who want to get out more on the bike and improve it was nice and easy I really enjoyed it, they want to train for Coalface adventure race in September so we hope to get out again
    Eccentric heel drops
    S&C Hamstring and Glutes

Saturday
    rest
    eccentric heel drops

Sunday South Dublin 10KM
    Planned to take it nice and easy no PB chasing ( 1k zone 1, 8k Zone 2, 1 K Zone 1) chip time 104.53 :)

Cycle to Start of 10km took a scenic route to start of 10km all the roads have changed so much I could not believe it but really enjoyed this cycle and delighted with my pace LOL esp as it felt really easy no hard gears all easy and spinning the legs. parked the bike up and let my fellow novices know we had arrived :) Met with Browneyes, Laraze, and G ( for the life of me I can not remember your username :o) and chatted till it was time to drop bags and go to the start line nerves where setting in!

I headed for the back of the pack and reminded my self to keep to the plan and run easy no PB for me today. The first 2k were nice and easy, I let loads pass me and stayed steady no speeding up. settled in with a nice group and just before heading into Coragh park I felt like we were speeding up quick check of the watch and yep time to pull back and let them go on.

3k to 5k
    running through the park I decided to run on the grass as the gravel was very lose and I could feel my feet sliding on it all was going great when disaster nearly happened when stepping back out on to the tarmac I rolled my ankle in a hole :eek: major freak out in my head LOL slight panic and I was mentally doing a check ankle is ok painful but ok! left calf is feeling funny !!! no, it's ok :o

I slowed down and decided if it turned in to something to worry about I would pull up and walk or stop altogether, but thankfully no need and all felt great by 5km actually felt like I was only warmed up at this point and started to really enjoy it, loads of support through the village as we headed towards the canal

5km to 10
    Water stop at about 6km very late I was delighted to see it and could have done with it sooner. We headed out on to the canal which had a nice breeze but it was a bit of a drag. people were fading around me and starting to walk or slow down so it was nice to feel if I wanted I could push on. a few people sprinting then walking :confused: it was like playing cat and mouse with them lol
    At last, we turned off from the canal and had only 1km to go I decided to push on to pass the runner/walker and kept going sprinting to the finish and it was lovely hearing Laraze and Browneyes cheering me on and my hubby who followed us around on his bike.
    Collected my t-shirt and met Browneyes for a hug and she very kindly got me ice for my ankle which started hurting as soon as I stopped!

we then chatted for a while before heading home and for us, that meant back on the bike for a slow cycle back to the car and a stop off for lunch on our way home

It was great meeting up today and well done on some great running from you all on a tougher than expected course! I for one can not wait for the next meet up and hopefully more of us can make it :)

Week 7
    After my run on Sunday, I could not bring my self to sit down and fill this out I knew I had a run to do today and depending on how it went!! If it went well I would log, if it went bad and I wouldn't :eek:

It went BAD yet here I am! who knows maybe this may help someone else in the future knowing that recovering from the same injury you will have setbacks maybe even logging this week and next week will help me if it happens again.

Monday 23/7/18
    Rest/cycle
    I rested
    no S&C letting ankle heal
    no eccentric heel drops either as it was a little tender

Tuesday 24/7/18
    The plan was to run, but I went out for a cycle instead 26.6 Km a nice enjoyable cycle the last one I would ever have on my lovely little racer as it was stolen a few days later:mad:
    Eccentric Heel Drops

Wednesday 25/7/18
    Run 5 mins Zone 1, 40 mins Zone 2, 5 mins Zone 1
    My ankle was hurting and around the arch of my foot and a little more pain in my Achilles and opposite calf felt so tight.
    Loads of stretching and foam rolling when I came home and I spoke to Coach and Physio felt reassured and hoped it was just because of rolling my foot. made an appointment for physio on Friday to make sure all was ok
    Eccentric heel drops
    S&C

Thursday 26/7/18
    Rest
    S&C
    Eccentric heel drops
    foam rolling and stretching

Friday 27/7/18
    Run, 5 mins Zone 1, 30 mins Zone 2, 12 mins Zone 3
    a few niggles at the start from Achilles, the ankle was not as bad so I was happy with this run felt good when I finished.
    S&C
    Eccentric heel drops

Saturday 28/7/18
    Rest
    Eccentric Heel drops
    foam rolling

Sunday 29/7/18
    Run
    1k Zone 1
    7k Zone 2
    1K Zone 1
    I did not enjoy this at all, I had to stop at 2km stretch my lower calfs all good for a while longer and pain just before I finished and knees and shin hurting as well. This was the most discomfort I have felt in a long time. very disappointed and have to admit I was very worried. one thing I thought might be a factor I may have been dehydrated I was very thirsty when I came home I drank 4 pints of water straight away and for the rest of the evening.
    We had been helping out at an IMRA run that morning and I was on marshaling duties. so a lot of standing around and I never brought any water with me which in hindsight I should have.

Which brings me up to date which in short is a setback and I have a pain again I stopped running and sent a message to my Coach and walked home. gutted and thinking the worst and scared of what he would say when I told him how it was going.

He rang me, asked loads of questions and reassured and reminded me that he expected some setbacks along the way as it is common. for now, the plan is to let it settle, take anti-inflammatories, eat, sleep well and we shall reassess on Thursday.

I really need to work on my mindset and stay positive. I swing between being confident I will get better and running without worrying if I will have pain and fully sure I will miss DCM this year and maybe never run a marathon or anything more than 10 k again

Apologies if typing is a little crazy, sleeping toddler in my arms

Really really sorry to hear about yer bikes being taken N. I hope karma catches up with the people who took them, ye deserve better than that.

Sounds like you have a great coach and you have a fantastic attitude .... keep logging :) we're all learning from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Just something came to mind ...... I read how juke had gotten a second opinion from a physio. Would you consider doing the same. What if running on it is not the right thing to do?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Just something came to mind ...... I read how juke had gotten a second opinion from a physio. Would you consider doing the same. What if running on it is not the right thing to do?

I have asked my coach who is a physiotherapist as well and my physio the same question as I wondered the same
    I was thinking today that was it! I am not running anymore, but they both said it won't get better with rest...
    I need to keep moving it. I had to give him loads of information on how I was sleeping, diet anything new!
    So we shall see how it goes over the rest of the week!

Really really sorry to hear about yer bikes being taken N. I hope karma catches up with the people who took them, ye deserve better than that.

Sounds like you have a great coach and you have a fantastic attitude .... keep logging :) we're all learning from it.

Thanks, Neady, it has been a hard few days and my confidence is low I need to change that! a bit of a silver lining on the bikes an old friend of P got in touch and has offered me a bike he has and we can pick it up tomorrow :)

I was really enjoying cycling with others or by myself and can feel I am getting a little stronger at last. I can not run as much or as long as I would like at the minute so having the bike and getting out on it made up for that! plus I did not worry about ruining someone else run if I had to stop or not able to keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Baby75 wrote: »
    Week 7
    After my run on Sunday, I could not bring my self to sit down and fill this out I knew I had a run to do today and depending on how it went!! If it went well I would log, if it went bad and I wouldn't :eek:

It went BAD yet here I am! who knows maybe this may help someone else in the future knowing that recovering from the same injury you will have setbacks maybe even logging this week and next week will help me if it happens again.

Monday 23/7/18
    Rest/cycle
    I rested
    no S&C letting ankle heal
    no eccentric heel drops either as it was a little tender

Tuesday 24/7/18
    The plan was to run, but I went out for a cycle instead 26.6 Km a nice enjoyable cycle the last one I would ever have on my lovely little racer as it was stolen a few days later:mad:
    Eccentric Heel Drops

Wednesday 25/7/18
    Run 5 mins Zone 1, 40 mins Zone 2, 5 mins Zone 1
    My ankle was hurting and around the arch of my foot and a little more pain in my Achilles and opposite calf felt so tight.
    Loads of stretching and foam rolling when I came home and I spoke to Coach and Physio felt reassured and hoped it was just because of rolling my foot. made an appointment for physio on Friday to make sure all was ok
    Eccentric heel drops
    S&C

Thursday 26/7/18
    Rest
    S&C
    Eccentric heel drops
    foam rolling and stretching

Friday 27/7/18
    Run, 5 mins Zone 1, 30 mins Zone 2, 12 mins Zone 3
    a few niggles at the start from Achilles, the ankle was not as bad so I was happy with this run felt good when I finished.
    S&C
    Eccentric heel drops

Saturday 28/7/18
    Rest
    Eccentric Heel drops
    foam rolling

Sunday 29/7/18
    Run
    1k Zone 1
    7k Zone 2
    1K Zone 1
    I did not enjoy this at all, I had to stop at 2km stretch my lower calfs all good for a while longer and pain just before I finished and knees and shin hurting as well. This was the most discomfort I have felt in a long time. very disappointed and have to admit I was very worried. one thing I thought might be a factor I may have been dehydrated I was very thirsty when I came home I drank 4 pints of water straight away and for the rest of the evening.
    We had been helping out at an IMRA run that morning and I was on marshaling duties. so a lot of standing around and I never brought any water with me which in hindsight I should have.

Which brings me up to date which in short is a setback and I have a pain again I stopped running and sent a message to my Coach and walked home. gutted and thinking the worst and scared of what he would say when I told him how it was going.

He rang me, asked loads of questions and reassured and reminded me that he expected some setbacks along the way as it is common. for now, the plan is to let it settle, take anti-inflammatories, eat, sleep well and we shall reassess on Thursday.

I really need to work on my mindset and stay positive. I swing between being confident I will get better and running without worrying if I will have pain and fully sure I will miss DCM this year and maybe never run a marathon or anything more than 10 k again

Apologies if typing is a little crazy, sleeping toddler in my arms

This is all very very very normal. Recovery from injury is an emotional roller coaster. Been there, worn the t-shirt, it's no fun. But keep the faith, the experts have faith so try to trust them. Hang in there x

Thanks, Ariana now I know exactly how you felt, & anyone else recovering from injury nice to know its normal but its still pants lol

Anyone ever hear or have Graston technique done before?

Week 8

This week has not gone as I had hoped or as was planned but had my feeling sorry for myself moment, got over it and moving forward ;)

Monday 30/8/18
    Rest
    Eccentric Heel Drops
    S&C core

Tuesday 31/8/18
    Run 30 mins 5min Zone 1, 20 mins Zone 2, 5 Mins one 1
    Absolutely a disaster both legs felt sore stopped short and messaged my coach and walked home. a few tears were shed at the end of this run! I was so upset the pain was back.
    only 1 set of eccentric heel drops
    foam rolled
    stretching and icing of legs

Wednesday 1/8/18
    eccentric heel drops
    S&C core and hips, glutes work
    rest
    still sore and stiff during the day but improving quickly
    Picked up the new bike :D

Thursday 2/8/18
    Rest
    Eccentric Heel drops
    S&C Basic body weight
    Short cycle to test out the bike ( love it and no pain when cycling)
    Walking around today and very little discomfort
    Lost 2 pounds :D

Friday 3/8/2018
    Rest
    eccentric Heel drops ( added weight back in ) 4kg

Saturday 4/8/2018
    rest
    Eccentric Heel Drops
    Foam rolling
    S&C
    Glutes and Hamstrings
    Lower leg strength and prevention
    Basic hip strength and prevention

Sunday 5/8/2018
    Rest ( SOOOOOO BORED)
    Eccentric Heel Drops
    Huge improvement in Achilles

So just in case anyone ever finds them selfs here in a similar situation Some helpful information

Eccentric Heel Drops https://www.peakendurancesport.com/endurance-injuries-and-health/muscles-and-tendons/achilles-tendon-muscle-structure-injury-rehabilitation/
    You need to do them every day and the pain gets worse before it gets better ! I had read this online a few weeks ago and it kept repeating in my head so I decided to research it more and yes they are meant to hurt a little and when they stop hurting you add in weight increasing each time you feel nothing while doing them. I am 8 weeks into doing them and it can take 12 weeks or more for it to work so I need to keep them up.

another link https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/sore-achilles-things-have-to-get-worse-in-order-to-get-better/article551003/

So plan for week 9 is more rest and a little bit of cycling once I have no pain and I am heading for a gait analysis to make sure I am wearing the right runner's thanks for Skyblue and Kellygirl for tipping me off that the heel drop in my new runners may not be helping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

You’re having a rough time lately N, do you think the twist at the 10k did more harm than you originally thought? Have you any running in the plan this week?

Advertisement