Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the mind believes the Body achieves!

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Good luck on Sunday, hope it goes well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Best of Luck Sunday - hopefully get to catch up after for a beer !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Best of luck for Sunday N. Looking forward to catching up with you over a beer afterwards. Is the quare fella making the trip?

He is indeed :D

Thanks everyone see you all in McGrattans afterwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good luck N, hope to see you again after. Run well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Best of luck tomorrow.

DCM 2019 
    What a day what a journey one I will cherish for a long time. 
    This time last year I was following and supporting the Marathon cheering on all the runners on and hoped I could but feared I would not be able to line up this year.

It has been a long road back and at times difficult as, unlike most people I was not seeing a return of the little bit of speed I once had. but that was power for the course I could not risk building speed and endurance at the same time and I was happy enough to build my endurance. I had to take a careful approach to marathon training making sure I had the endurance to see me through and no return of my previous injury.

The final few weeks of my plan went great I really started to enjoy my long runs with some intervals worked in and long runs with a fast finish. I had a great day in Galway at the Galway bay HM my plan was 15 miles and despite the rain and wind I had a great day and knocked 6 mins off my HM time from the Dublin HM I felt very fresh that day and finished feeling like I could have kept going. We pushed on with my training with my longest run 18 miles  the following week that was a hard day and I knew the body was still recovering from it and I was probably not as fresh as I could be for DCM 

Marathon week was full-on nerves  I am so glad I had Browneyes, Ariana and Kellygirl to chat with and we kept each other calm when taper madness took hold. 
    That morning we travelled up on the Bus with our local running club and chatted all the way nerves were bad though and any excitement was gone I was dreading it a little. I knew I had a hard day ahead. 
    But the best advice I got this week from a friend she said;
    '' finish lines not finish times''

which was what Sunday was all about for me. I had a mental battle to win never mind the running.

Miles 1 to 7 
    Hubby was sticking with me today as much as he could, I think he was worried about me I was so nervous but he did a great job distracting me and we enjoyed chatting to others as we lined up at the start. with a few cheers, we were off .. Ok not feeling so bad and with so many people it was very easy to keep the pace slow. I was freezing though numb toes and feet made it hard to run LOL.
     My legs were not happy I think it was because I was feeling so cold at the start. my calfs felt tight I was also thinking I rememberd it feeling a little hard at this point the first time I ran in 2017. so I relaxed a little thinking hopefully that would be the same here and once we cleared the park and hit 10K I would hopefully feel better.

Heading up chesterfield was lovely I remembered to make sure I took it easy ahead of me I noticed a girl running in memory of her mum who had lost her battle with lung cancer as I passed her I chatted to her and I thought of my own mum whom I lost for the same reason. I got a little emotional and shed a tear here.
    before I knew it we were heading out of the park towards Castleknock and my calfs were really bothering me and my Achilles. I had a wobble here fear was getting the better of me, I stopped checked no one was behind me and stepped in on to the path and stretched my calfs hoping that would help. hubby asked if I was ok, I said no! I don't think I should be doing this what if I start everything all over again.  poor guy, I can not remember what he said to me but probably something along the lines stop and get running again LOL it is a strange one I knew I could do it I knew I could push on and finish even though I feeling it all ready so early on. but the fear of my injury coming back during or even when I finished was something I had to fight with. I decided to keep going get to the halfway mark and see how I was feeling. turning down tower road and the bit of downhill was a welcome relief to my legs

Miles 7 to 13 
    I lost hubby at this point we were running nicely downhill but he managed to find a gap and I was avoiding weaving through people and was waiting to find my way through and could see him getting further in to the distance oops I did not mind though. I was starting to feel a little better I enjoyed heading back through the park before slowing as we reached that bit of a hill as you go through the tunnel I took that easy slowing right down again and recovered before trying to up the pace. the crowds were amazing and I could hear Loads shouting go on Niamh there was 3 of us I think so I never knew if anyone was calling me or them I tried to look around me but even with my sunglasses on I could not see anyone. I was really feeling the heat but felt like I needed the loo so was drinking only a little I pushed on till I think it was around 13 miles and took a bottle of water and decided I better stop! whoo hoo lucky no queue oh boy not so lucky stepped in and the whole bloody thing tipped forward that was an interesting pee stop LOL I was moving in slow motion opening the door and nearly jumping out when the way was clear. grabbed my water warned a lady not to use that loo and spotted the 5hr pacers had gone past me. that spurred me on a little I felt a little better now. 

miles 13 to 22 
    when I caught up with the 5hr group I met a few of my friends which was great I chatted to them for a while and I was gone again. I was looking forward to this part I remember it more than the first half from 2017 or maybe from last year.  it was a bit strange heading through Crumlin one minute we were running with a line of traffic on our left and then it seemed out of nowhere marshals and the guards blocked the road turning us out on to the opposite side of the traffic.  nice having the road to ourselves for a few minutes lol I do not remember that from before though. I started to feel very thirsty I had finished my first bottle of tailwind but the second I had made a little stronger but I could not drink it as it tasted too strong. I was longing for a water stop and thankfully a lovely bunch of kids were handing out water bottles I was very grateful to get one I drank that one and another one at the next water station before I was able to drink my tailwind again. it was starting to feel harder now but I just concentrated on keeping it steady and watching my race line. I got a little excited when I passed 18 miles and then 19 its the homeward stretch now and so many people out cheering and kids high fiving to which I obliged when I was close to them.  I knew heartbreak hill was coming up it was here I met my hubby last year and gave him a can of coke while I walked with him for a bit. in my head, I was thinking if I need to walk I can take a little break and get running again at the top. but no walking needed I was able to push up it which was a nice feeling I do remember I was passing a lot of people as well

miles 22 to 26
    I was checking my watch and did wonder if I had it in me to push on a little I saw the 22-mile marker ahead and for once my brain woked 4 miles left that's 6km I can do that! OMG, I am going to finish my legs are bet my feet are killing me my right knee feels funny but my Achilles are sweet! not a fecken peep out of them! I started to move a little faster and it felt good I was passing loads of people and smiling. 
    just past 25 miles marker and with less than 2 miles to go my phone rings it's my hubby, the fecker is probably finished I thought and never bother answering. I was trying to run like:D. He rings again so I answer expecting him to say I am finished but he was actually just ahead of me so was checking to see where I was so we could finish together.  he very kindly took my hydration vest and at last, we turned on to the home straight we are moving nicely and he said crap my calfs are cramping I first asked are you ok then do you mind if I keep going, no he says I was gone anyway!:o I hit that blue carpet and followed a guy sprinting or the best sprint you muster after 42k. it was an epic feeling crossing that finish line I stopped and hubby was just behind me. I do remember saying OMG I did it!  I cried happy tears when I got my medal best feeling ever more special than my first marathon and a wee bit of  PB even though first time round I stayed with my hubby when he hit a major wall just after the halfway mark that year. he even went in to a garage and bought a can of coke LOL he did the same this year as well.

Next thoughts were getting our stuff and head to McGrattan's I was dying to see how everyone got on the first person I see was browneyes more happy tears. So happy for them all they had amazing days out and lovely catching up with Skyblue and Lazare and some of the novices and their amazing mentors a job well done there.   
    Finishing time of 4hrs 50 by my watch happy with that! 

The plan at the minute is to recover really well and I am looking forward to what comes next :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Great report Niamh. I’m so delighted you’ve gotten through the training and Dublin - a really confidence boost for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Well done - delighted it went so well for you!

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Great report Niamh. I’m so delighted you’ve gotten through the training and Dublin - a really confidence boost for you.

It can only get better from here ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Nice report Niamh - don;t know how some of you remember so many details!!!

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Nice report Niamh - don;t know how some of you remember so many details!!!

I feel I forgot lots :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Belated congrats N ! Delighted for you, especially after all the injury issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Huge well done N. Delighted it went so well for you after all your issues.

I was sure I updated since DCM :eek:

The week after the Marathon I took a full week off from running just one cycle to spin out the legs

Nov 4-10 ( 25.6KM)
    A nice easy week, with easy miles, I was amazed how good I felt legs felt great and very fresh and I noticed my paces were a little bit quicker one run with my hubby and I was out running him but he has a load of ultras to recover from. we ended the week with a lovely trail run with some friends and I really enjoyed it

Nov 11-17 ( 21K)
    the week started with a challenging little session my coach wanted to see how I managed this one ahead of the Gingerbread 10k
    I had 3 x 5 mins Z4 /3 mins Z1 a tough little session a bit off pace some but the effort was there.

A nice 30-minute building run on Thursday and then rest till the GB 10k

The Gingerbread 10k I won't do a long report but I will say I loved it I was not sure what I could do and nervous about racing so I feel I held back at the start but found my grove a friend caught up with me and stayed with me, which gave me a little boost and I was able to push on last year I was just back running and ran the same course (Well bar one little bit it was nearly the same)
    last year was 1 hour 2 minutes and finished this year in 59.22 not an overall PB but still a PB :D  

Nov 18 - 24 ( 17k)
    Missed a run this week and I can not remember why now, I had only 3 runs planned one of which was meant to be a Trail run around Powerscourt but on our way over the car broke down so long wait for a tow truck and got out for 11km instead. bit of a Meh week 

Nov 25 - 1st Dec

nearly back to normal adding back in cycling and back up to 4 runs again :D

Monday
    Cycle 1hr Z1

Tuesday Building
    ( 5 mins Z1, 25 mins Z2, 5 mins Z1)
    42 mins @ AVG 7:51/KM  ( trending faster on strava, I will take it LOL )

Hubby and I headed over to a local wood for this one, I really enjoyed it and it was a nice change not having to stop for road crossing or dodging people :D
    we took a little longer than planned.

Wednesday Building
    ( 5 mins Z1, 20 mins Z2, 5 mins Z1)
    35 mins @ avg 6:26/km

Can not remember much on this run, I do remember enjoying it

S&C basic Bodyweight lots of press-ups, back plank wall squats, squats with a twist , knee lifts etc

Thursday
    rest and feeling the glutes after yesterdays S&C

Friday fast finish
    ( 5 mins Z1, 20 mins Z2, 5 mins Z3 )
    AVG @ 6.19/km

I decided to get my run in before doing the food shopping, I really enjoyed it. I used effort for my Z3 fast finish as lately, I am running Z3 pace for Z2 heart rate, I really like fast finish runs avg pace for fast finish @5.28/km checked my HR Zone for Z3 and happy to see I was in the correct zone.

Saturday Cycle 2hrs Z1
    a lovely cycle with my hubby and nearly all in Z1 bar when we climber up by Rossmore LOL I worked up a sweat heading up but froze on the way back down. note to self keep gloves on !!

Sunday Tempo run
    my planned run was ( 5 min Z1, 5 min Z2, 15 minZ3, 5 min Z2, 5 min Z1)
    actual 5 mins Z1, 5 mins Z2, 28 moins Z3, 5 mins Z2, 5 mins Z1)

my friend asked me to run the local Jingle Bell 5k with her so changed my run a little and figured once I did not go mad and race it I will be a good experience for this coming Saturday 5k.

It was baltic so after collecting our numbers I sat in the car while hubby got in his warm-up as he was doing 40 minutes, I got mine finished in perfect time met my friends and hubby and we lined up with a huge crowd a great turn out for it, but we were not paying a bit of attention and probably started too far back LOL we spent the first km stuck in the crowd with all the walkers so that meant a slow first KM I did not mind though as I was only meant to do 15 mins Z3 :P

once the road opened up a little we could pick it up, my watch was telling me I was off pace for Z3 but I was not worried from 2 KM to 3Km we were passing loads and chatting away made the time fly I was really enjoying it I had my friends sister was keeping pace with me which was great. it's not often you find someone you can run at the same pace.  
    I checked my watch at this point as the pace had climbed a lot and felt it was faster than Z3 should be, my watch said I was in Z3 but it clicked it was showing me the AVG pace for my Z3 part of my run, which was not accurate as I was slow at the start. I swiped to actual pace and yep running much faster 5 min KM pace. I swiped the screen again to show distance and elapsed time and ran by effort instead, it's served me well at any races I have done this year. a quick check of my HR told me I was not overdoing it.
    I really started to enjoy my self it was like a catch up with everyone some I had not seen since DCM.
    My friend sister  ( E) was working hard now and I was able to tell her when it was going to feel a little harder and then easier. there was loads of support the closer we got back to the start so we enjoyed having a bit of fun getting the crowd going.  we finished strong and I sent E on ahead of me she got a PB and so did my friend who came in behind us.
    got my cool down done and had a lovely cup of coffee while I waited for Hubby to come back from the rest of his run.
    more than delighted that my chip time was 28.00 for the 5k and it felt hard but comfortable but not all out.  

when I checked my HR zone for Z3 I was delighted I was in the right zone for my tempo I was a little unsure as my coach used pace for Z3 upwards I  always had the HR zones but he did not want me to use them initially to protect me from injuring my Achilles again.
    Feedback from him was great he was happy with how I managed :D

now to have a good week before the Jingle Bell on Saturday looking forward to meeting up with some other Boards members maybe not looking forward to the all-out effort of a 5K run though

Week Dec 2-8

A bit of a taper/step back week

Tuesday: long intervals
    (5mins Z1, 5 mins Z2, 3 x 3mins Z4/2mins Z1, 5mins Z2, 5mins Z1)
    I enjoyed this session and felt comfortable but working in the Z4 happy with my paces.
    S&C basic bodyweight

Thursday:20 mins Z1
    I was able to get this run done before school pick up which was great nice to have it done and have the evening free :)

Saturday
    Jingle Bell run

I am glad I ran the 5k as a tempo last week it gave me the confidence to aim for 27 minutes this week. Also the great pep talks from Ariana :D  

Met up with some friendly faces at the start which was great and I was able to get a warm-up done with Browneyes and my two lads we said our good lucks and got ready for the start.

I need to move further up at the start they had a sign for 25 mins and I started a few rows behind thinking I was in the right spot but as soon as we crossed the start line I was nearly walking, normally I would not care as you can always take the time up in a longer race but with a 5k every second counts!!

A girl beside me started to run up the bank so I followed her and ran until I passed enough people and a space opened to come down off the bank.

turning the corner on to chesterfield avenue I remembered why I like longer stuff LOL which probably meant I was doing it right. lol, I noticed two girls in DCM tops later Skyblue would point them out as fellow Boardies if only I had known its mad how you chat to people on strava check out the flybys and discover you were in chatting distance at times.

Spotted the 2k marker and just concentrated on maintaining pace I wondered how my two lads were doing and tried to concentrate on catching a runner in front of me.

Spotted the 3k marker and had a  little inner whoop! now to see if I could push on a little I was thinking of the hill I knew was coming so wanted to make up some time,  I was able to push on down the hill but the ground was a little slippy here you had to watch your step 

Looking up I could see everyone heading up over the hill I hope I can keep up a decent pace on it now.
     The hill was a killer at the start I was thinking its grand time lost here I will get back on the downhill, near the top I was hoping I could just keep going.

I spotted Skyblue at the top and gave a shout, he ran with me, which took my mind off the OMG I am gonna die thoughts and I caught my breath managed a few words which he joked with me over :D  I caught my breath and was very happy I was able to get some sort of a decent pace on the downhill just as we turned towards the finish S, said goodbye that was a very quick 1km

I could see 27.48 on the clock which I was delighted with I  got my target. I think I slowed a tiny bit I need to work on my sprint finish LOL

when I looked at my watch as I paused it and seen 26.58 over the moon :D delighted with my self

Finally met the lovely Huzzah and chatted to a few others at the finish my two lads and the hubby joined us. they both ran very well
    16-year old ran 20 .37 and the 13-year olf ran 22 mins very proud mammy

My chip time was even better 26.56 so only 10 seconds off my PB 

Happy days 

Seeing as I signed up for a 50k The Maurice Mullins!!:eek: I may as well log again LOL  training started a few weeks ago and so far so good legs are still adjusting to the hills or am I allowed say mountains that sounds so much better lol.

I am hoping my legs adjust as my pace has taken a dive at the minute but I am loving it so will keep at it regardless.

last week was a hard week,

A tough tempo run on Tuesday my legs were not too bad after my long run on Sunday in the hills but they were sore on Wednesday after the tempo run so I focused on active recovery some foam rolling. 

Thursday was a building run, I picked a stupid time to go out roads were so busy lots of stopping and starting for cars and one near miss when a car broke a red light. can not say i enjoyed it and was a wee bit deflated as my pace was much slower. legs were feeling sore but felt much better by the end

Saturday 12 miles 2 hours 36 minutes by my estimation strava says less:  we headed out to the Wicklow way to run some of the MM route I had some technical issues HR monitor was reading very funny and my watch was beeping every few seconds telling me I had completed x amount of 10 stairs so knew it was recording my elevation wrong :D then it paused itself when running down from prince Williams seat and later saved itself in nearly the same spot on my way back.
    it really does not perform well in very windy and wet conditions the battery life is not great either.
    But apart from that I enjoyed it and felt a wee bit proud of my self for running the Half distance in 2018 I ran a lot more of it than I remembered another random thought but the road sections I remembered as being flat are not which also explains why I hated them the last time LOL Also it was my second time using poles and still find them great for climbing not sure I like carrying them when I do not need them, but they are a cheap pair from Aldi so maybe a pair that folds down smaller would be better.

Sunday planned 1hr 45 minutes cycle actual 1hr14
    So we had another busy weekend with IMRA and helping out at another race Last week we were at Brockagh Burst. So I decided I get my cycle over and done with early by cycling over to Castlecomer. I felt great for the first I would say 30 minutes and then it felt like all strength left my legs, it did not help that it was an uphill climb to cretty yard, my legs were having none of it. I actually got off my bike checked the breaks as I thought they were stuck on the back wheel and that was making it so hard, but nope all me legs smashed lol
    I noticed a car driving past me a few times and then slow down beside me only to see a friendly face asking me if I wanted a lift I gladly took it otherwise no one was signing in at reg at the race without me :D

Also, I had two S&C sessions and enjoyed them I am seeing good progression there at least

Plan for this week,
    break in my trail runners more
    swap roads for trails on my midweek building run
    try not to pass out on my tempo run ps leave it to later so less traffic 

Advertisement