Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the mind believes the Body achieves!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Baby75 wrote: »
    No bother to ya :)

I just changed my mind, it is this one I am using which does have step back weeks in it I knew I saw speed session in the plan and when I checked the other one I realised why I was confused LOL oops.

OOPS here is the link https://www.rei.com/content/dam/documents/pdf/expert-advice/marathon-trail-running-plan-printable.pdf

Week 3 Marathon plan

Monday
    Spin class
    50 minutes

Tuesday
    8km @6.17km avg pace
    15-minute stairs
    a nice easy run with hubby and F then back to the club for stairs for 15 minutes

Wednesday
    Tempo run
    8km @5.51km avg pace
    I really enjoyed this run, we met some club members at 5 am for her last long run 16km before the Race in Donegal.It was a chilly but really enjoyable run. I even managed to get more than one or two worded answers out by the end, once I got going LOL the pace felt fine, but my breathing was harder till about 3km it was bitter cold though. I settled into the pace and felt very comfortable and enjoyable a little longer than what was in the plan but not by much. Plus it passed by so quickly! I really enjoy the early morning runs using a head torch.
    Tuesday evening I had a case of the doms from the stairs :eek:

Thursday
    Spin class
    50 minutes

Friday
    5.5km easy
    @6.21km avg pace
    After a quick warm-up running around the car park and some dynamic stretching while waiting on one of the lads to arrive.
    We ran with f again a nice run. My legs felt a little tired but
    soreness from stairs was all gone :)

Saturday
    rest day

Sunday
    LSR 10 miles @ 6.24km avg pace
    Hubby was not able to run, he was sore from all his Kayaking yesterday. So our plans had to change, which meant a solo run for me. It was a beautiful day with the sun shining and the roads were quiet, plenty of other runners out :)
    I was feeling good and ran the first KM way to fast, I really had to work hard at slowing down and staying at target pace. I will say the pace felt easy I felt like I was running slower until I checked my watch. I got very thirsty and regretted not thinking to grab a bottle before I left, so at 12km I popped into the club and used the tap outside to get a drink. It was here I met a fellow SLOTS runner and we ran together for the next 1km or more chatting all about running and slowing down on runs :D left him and carried on for the last 1.5km home. stopped my watch and walked home

Next week plan may get tricky to follow! I wont mind running in the snow. if it happens but if it gets very icy that may make it harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Ok, forgive me for not being well up on these things but what is SLOTS?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

I really enjoyed this run, we met some club members at 5 am for her last long run 16km before the Race in Donegal.It was a chilly but really enjoyable run. I even managed to get more than one or two worded answers out by the end, once I got going LOL the pace felt fine, but my breathing was harder till about 3km it was bitter cold though. I settled into the pace and felt very comfortable and enjoyable a little longer than what was in the plan but not by much. Plus it passed by so quickly! I really enjoy the early morning runs using a head torch.
    Tuesday evening I had a case of the doms from the stairs :eek:

I find it incredibly difficult to get going on morning runs too, particularly these days when it's sooooo cold. Fingers crossed for your friend for next weekend :)

This podcast from Fitter Radio kind of answers why some people find it more difficult than others to do hard sessions in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done N. Only just spotted your updated plan now. Looks good.

You’d a great week running. Very nervous of the next week too. Somebody said to me earlier that they hope we get a scorcher of a summer after this - I though ‘god no, that’s not good for running either’ :D

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Ok, forgive me for not being well up on these things but what is SLOTS?

It is St Laurence O'Toole running club, The other Club I go to is Paulie's Bootcamp :) that is for spinning and other mad stuff :D
    Neady83 wrote: »
    I find it incredibly difficult to get going on morning runs too, particularly these days when it's sooooo cold. Fingers crossed for your friend for next weekend :)

This podcast from Fitter Radio kind of answers why some people find it more difficult than others to do hard sessions in the mornings.

Thanks, Neady I will have a listen some days I am grand others it takes a while for the legs to get going the cold really makes it a bit harder. I will pass on the good luck to her she got pulled up last year during the first cycle so she is nervous but I think she will do great she is ready. They are worried the Kayak will be canceled if we get the weather that is forecasted! I actually think it is the cycle that could cause problems if the roads are bad.
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    Well done N. Only just spotted your updated plan now. Looks good.

You’d a great week running. Very nervous of the next week too. Somebody said to me earlier that they hope we get a scorcher of a summer after this - I though ‘god no, that’s not good for running either’ :D

Thanks, Karen, First run of the week is hills, which I was thinking of a nice little trail with a nice hill to run up and down it. But that may not work out with the weather forecast, but I could do the stairs again instead warm up beforehand We shall see once it is not icy I will run regardless.

I was thinking that today as well :eek: it would mean early morning runs or late ones as midday would kill us

A little late updating but it has been a busy few days lots happening and some of it very exciting ....

As with everyone else we where affected by the snow but not as bad as others, I was still able to get out and run.

Monday
    Missed spinning as youngest got a tummy bug!

Tuesday:
    AM spinning 50 minutes
    PM 5km run 32 mins
    This was meant to be our last run with Frank before the Race and we just finished as the snow started to fall. bitter cold we had to rush back for his team meeting which left me short of 5KM. So on our way home, I got hubby to let me out of the car so I could run in the snow home :D

Wednesday:
    6km 42 mins
    Solo run more kids down with the bug, so hubby stayed in and I got out for a nice easy run, it was a little slow going some snow was deep and paths in spots slippy.

Thursday:
    Spinning cancelled because of the red weather warnings. walked with some friends and the dogs 9.9km

Saturday:
    5km most of the snow had cleared so we had a nice easy run pace felt faster and I felt a little wrecked I was hoping I would not feel like that for Sunday LSR

Sunday:
    No LSR :( thanks kids for your tummy bug :P I was so disappointed and a little worried on how I would jig it around, but the following week was a step back week so just swapping them around then moving forward.

A little late updating but it has been a busy few days lots happening and some of it very exciting ....

As with everyone else we where affected by the snow but not as bad as others, I was still able to get out and run.

Monday
    Missed spinning as youngest got a tummy bug!

Tuesday:
    AM spinning 50 minutes
    PM 5km run 32 mins
    This was meant to be our last run with Frank before the Race and we just finished as the snow started to fall. bitter cold we had to rush back for his team meeting which left me short of 5KM. So on our way home, I got hubby to let me out of the car so I could run in the snow home :D

Wednesday:
    6km 42 mins
    Solo run more kids down with the bug, so hubby stayed in and I got out for a nice easy run, it was a little slow going some snow was deep and paths in spots slippy.

Thursday:
    Spinning cancelled because of the red weather warnings. walked with some friends and the dogs 9.9km

Saturday:
    5km most of the snow had cleared so we had a nice easy run pace felt faster and I felt a little wrecked I was hoping I would not feel like that for Sunday LSR

Sunday:
    No LSR :( thanks kids for your tummy bug :P I was so disappointed and a little worried on how I would jig it around, but the following week was a step back week so just swapping them around then moving forward.

I thought maybe you would be telling us the exciting stuff too?? :D

Na save that for next week LOL you know some of it all ready though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Yes talk about leaving us hanging :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

With all the time you spend spinning, cycling, running and frollicking in muck (or Imra as you call it) I'm amazed how you have fitted in the time to create the exciting addition to your family that you are about to announce. Congratulations!!!! :-)

With all the time you spend spinning, cycling, running and frollicking in muck (or Imra as you call it) I'm amazed how you have fitted in the time to create the exciting addition to your family that you are about to announce. Congratulations!!!! :-)

LOL!

:D:D:D:D:D Not a chance S, those days are well over LOL on less the new addition is a new bike or runners, not a hope :p

So glad to have the snow gone and everything back to normal

Tuesday
    Spinning 58 minutes
    An interesting class looks like the trainer over the few snow days that shut everything down found new ways to train/torture us :D
    Run
    7KM in 45 minutes
    I was back to my local club and it was great catching up with everyone again, I was not expecting to feel as good as I did after having a tummy bug at the weekend but was chatting away and we pushed on to catch up with my hubby who was ahead of us. I told him to slow down LOL we had to be going to fast for an easy run, which is something I notice all the time at the club.One lady was intent on being in front of everyone she nearly got her self-killed as she did not want to wait for the lights to go red. So I pulled back and let them go on and kept it easy
    S&C
    25 minutes strength and conditioning

Thursday
    Tempo run 50 minutes
    A asked me to run with her again up at 4.40am a quick warm up inside and off we went.This was a hard run but I have the lovely company with the crew heading up to the Race at 2km one of the lads and my self-pulled back a little as the rest where belting on. I was pretty happy to have kept it at target pace 5.56 avg
    Spin class
    50 minutes
    another hard class I must bring a snack to keep me going when doing back to back sessions
    back home for some S&C and stretching

Saturday
    Run
    A nice easy 5km making sure I keep to the plan

Sunday
    LSR
    19.6 km
    2 hours
    Met A and F again another early start any chance to use head torches LOL, we decided to take in most of the same route we ran a few weeks ago. But I had a great idea :cool: let's work in in two laps of the long mile hill ( I love the strava achievement '' 200m Top of the Long Mile(Bring a sick bag) '' ) I say another one or two laps and we would have needed one. we headed back down towards town I did not enjoy this bit at 16km my legs felt heavy and I fought with my self not to stop and walk and I was very happy to finish.

I also helped at a local 5 & 10 k run as a marshal a little nerve-racking most people had no problems waiting for runners to pass I had one lady very unhappy and revving her car behind me but she just had to wait :P it was good fun cheering everyone on I enjoyed it.

In other news, I have signed up for a 25km trail run, The Maurice Mullins it is half of the ultra that will take place on the same day I had been looking at this one for a while but was waiting to see if it clashed with something else, hubby is going to volunteer ,he will be minding himself for the following weekend for his team event at the Race in Donegal. See you there Neady :)

Next up is Tear 12 and a local guy is hoping to run a training day for it which should be good fun.

In other news, I have signed up for a 25km trail run, The Maurice Mullins it is half of the ultra that will take place on the same day I had been looking at this one for a while but was waiting to see if it clashed with something else, hubby is going to volunteer ,he will be minding himself for the following weekend for his team event at the Race in Donegal. See you there Neady :)

Yeaeeeeeee Boardsies day out :) there should be a few from around these parts in Wicklow that day :)

Yeaeeeeeee Boardsies day out :) there should be a few from around these parts in Wicklow that day :)

Excellent I will be looking forward to that! :)

Monday
    Spin class 50 mins
    Hard session after Sundays LSR but legs felt much better by the end of class our trainer was feeling a little sadistic if you ask me, he kept coming over to turn up the bike GRRR

Tuesday
    Speed session
    warm up, 6x 2 min 5km effort 3 min recovery between each set, cooldown
    I have been feeling a little tired since the weekend so was looking forward to this and not all in the one go.
    it went well though all on pace except one which was a little slower as the wind was really strong and uphill drag.
    On the way back to the club we joined in with another group and back in with them which I enjoyed and we had shelter from the wind which was becoming very strong.
    S&C
    20 minutes
    all core work with some stretching at the end

Wednesday
    Spinning 50 minutes
    Again another hard class but I did enjoy it
    Run
    8km in 54 minutes
    Got out for a easy run with hubby and F and did a great job slowing them down LOL legs felt tired tonight and much to my horror I think I feel shinsplints again on the inside of my calfs I suffered awful with them when I started running I hope they are not starting again.

Thursday
    40 min @ 5.39 avg pace
    Plan called for a 50-minute tempo run
    but I was feeling really tired and worried about my calves, so I decided I would do a warm-up ( which I forgot to record) 40-minute tempo and a cool down. I was pleased I was able to keep the pace although I do wonder if my watch knows what it is doing at times HMMM
    I finished up with some stretching and foam rolling calves feel much better but hip was hurting a little.

Friday
    Rest day and foam rolling

Saturday
    LSR 22km @6.48 avg pace
    With the weather forecasting snow and hoping to get in a Trail run on Monday with IMRA I decided to got my LSR done today. the lads ran on Friday as F is working all weekend and hubby was cycling today with A. So a solo run for me! I warmed up in the house with some dynamic stretching and foam rolling. settled on my route and off I went, it was a hard run legs felt heavy and tired and I stopped twice to change my music I wanted something I knew no new stuff settled on dance songs of the 90's and really enjoyed them: Rhythm is a dancer, Robert Miles and Children some spice girls, Ace of Base, Real Mcoy Another night. took me right back LOL and as luck would have it when I had any hills to climb a really good song would play yay! I slowed my pace right down on any hills and I practiced good form instead! kept straight looking forward shorter strides and pumping the arms it really helped conserve some energy. I also brought my water with tailwind added. it's time to start practicing for race day.
    I have been feeling really tired this week so it felt good to get this run done and feel good when I finished :)

Taking a rest day tomorrow and Monday, I was going to run in a Trail race with IMRA but think I will keep it as a rest day instead. I am still heading down as I am voulenterring.

Points to consider this week!
    I need new runners, I got an email from strava and ignored it LOL but I am now thinking it is time to retire mine for new ones! esp as shins are bothering me a little. So hoping the snow is not as bad as last time and a trip to Kildare village to get new ones happens.

I am wondering why I am feeling so tired this week, if it keeps up I am going to make an appointment with my GP and get my thyroid and Iron checked. today is the first day all week I have not sat down and nodded off or felt really tired. even got the kids out for a walk! I hope that keeps up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Monday

40 min @ 5.39 avg pace
    Plan called for a 50-minute tempo run
    but I was feeling really tired and worried about my calves, so I decided I would do a warm-up ( which I forgot to record) 40-minute tempo and a cool down. I was pleased I was able to keep the pace although I do wonder if my watch knows what it is doing at times HMMM
    I finished up with some stretching and foam rolling calves feel much better but hip was hurting a little.

Points to consider this week!
    I need new runners, I got an email from strava and ignored it LOL but I am now thinking it is time to retire mine for new ones! esp as shins are bothering me a little. So hoping the snow is not as bad as last time and a trip to Kildare village to get new ones happens.

I am wondering why I am feeling so tired this week, if it keeps up I am going to make an appointment with my GP and get my thyroid and Iron checked. today is the first day all week I have not sat down and nodded off or felt really tired. even got the kids out for a walk! I hope that keeps up now.

Even if your plan doesn't call for one, I'd always do a decent warm up before a tempo run. They're much more pleasant that way!

FWIW, my shins always let me know when I need new runners, so hopefully that's all it is. Have you tried sportshoes.com? I rarely spend more than €60 on new runners now, thanks to that site.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Huzzah, I do use that site I get my trail runners from them they had no sizes for the runners I needed but I went to kildare village and got the same pair I already had much cheaper 55 euro and because it was the Gland Slam I got 20% off that again a great deal :)

actually, sportshoes.com have a great sale on buffs and hydration bladders and socks we ordered a few bits off them this week

I am feeling much better still a bit tired but a lot better than I was :)

a warm up really helps get you ready for a session all right I will be making sure I always do one :)

Happy to report the tiredness I was feeling has lifted :)

Monday
    Run 5km plan called for hills so a trail run it was :)
    The SE league had a trail run in Inistioge in Woodstock I was helping out at registration and at the finish so after it was over I got out for a nice little loop. A beautiful spot I will be back again.

Tuesday
    spin class 50 minutes
    S&C 40 minutes working on core and glutes as they are weaker than they should be. I got my eldest to time my plank for me I managed a minute.

Wednesday
    8km run
    I had my two eldest boys with me they did not want me to run alone and decided to try out my new runners and from the start, I got a cramp in the outside of my foot ouch! loosened the laces and it eased but we had to stop with my eldest who had an awful pain in his calf. Then my foot cramp came back and I am sure I looked a funny site hopping like a loon trying to get the runner off which I did and it was an instant relief. A friend stopped to see if I was ok and off we went finishing our run with no more issues :)
    I stretched and rolled out my foot when I got home wore my runners walking to break then and perfect now.

Thursday
    spin 50 mins
    S&C 15 minutes and lots of stretching

Friday
    Run 10km a nice run really enjoyed it and so happy the new runner do not give me blisters when I go over 5km
    Stretched and worked on my core and nearly at 3-minute hold for the plank
    Also brought son to physio poor lad had to make they very hard choice to play in his Ruby semi-final or sit it out if his calf was not right. he ended up sitting it out on Saturday and they lost! so proud of him he made the right choice.
    I also got my leg checked I was not sure if it was shin splints or tightness in my lower calf but it was bothering me a little more than I would like. it was not shin splints but tightness in my calf pulling on my Achilles. not serious and I am still ok to run but need to work on dynamic stretches on my calfs before I run hills. So glad I checked

Saturday
    rest day

• Advertisement

This is long! sorry about that!

Sunday
    LSR 25km
    Cycle 15km

We had hoped to head out on Saturday for a training day aimed at Quest Glendalough but we could not go in the end. So as I am running in the Maurice Mullins Half on the 7th of April, I had the bright idea of running it to see what was in for I had 25km to do anyway.
    We locked my bike up at Johnny Foxes pub and drove to the start, while Hubby was getting his bike and gear ready I warmed up and off we went, he had the route on his watch, I knew we had to follow the little yellow men but it easy to miss a turn if you are not careful .It was uphill from the start and I was finding it so much harder than it should be. I had my backpack and water on my back and it felt so heavy, my legs where hurting and I actually wondered if I would be able to keep going! So I stopped we tied my bag to the bike and it was so much better I was able to run up the next hill no problem! phew, big relief and we then turned out on to the mountain path ( best bit ever) I just loved it you are so high up we could see so much amazing.I did take my backpack back at this point as it was getting in the way on the planks.
    It felt strange running on the planks you really have to pay attention to your footing but made going uphill a little easier. then the best bit running downhill no more planks it was so much fun and you can make up time lost on the uphill climb. We met a few guys out mountain biking just before we entered Powerscourt and had a nice chat with them. took a wrong turn after Curtlestown Car Park and the legs were feeling the last climb up past St William seat it was a welcome relief to be finally on the downwards decent. I ended up going a little further than planned 27km but the ice-cold drink in Johnny Foxes was lovely. Oh, and as I was running towards the pub we met one of the guys from earlier he was so excited to see me it was so nice ended my run on a high even if my glutes and quads were screaming at me :D
    Cycle 15 km this was a nice hilly route and I was so slow but enjoyed it but it was so nice to see the car and eat some food

I was very glad I got out and ran the route the first climb was higher but felt easier so I know now I need to be conservative for the first climb should not be too hard I am very slow going uphill, massive kudos to those who can belt it up I learned a lot mainly, I need a new way of carrying water the backpack felt so heavy and I needed more water than I had in it. also if it is a similar day a t-shirt will be enough no need for a base layer.

Hubby was delighted he got in some good training for his hill scramble in Donegal as he had to hike a bike I got some lovely pictures you can check them out here I hope that works

The link works, thanks for the pics, what incredible views :)

I'm taking notes on the route so thank you for the detailed description :).

I use an Ultimate Direction bag and carry the bottles in the front - I think it balances me out and I know how much I'm drinking. You can try it out when I see you at the Maurice Mullins if you like, see how it feels compared to your own.

In this mixed weather I wear a t-shirt and cycle sleeves. Very easy to roll them down when you're warm and back up when the sun goes in without the hassle of putting on and off long sleeved tops or trying to decide what to wear.

The link works, thanks for the pics, what incredible views :)

I'm taking notes on the route so thank you for the detailed description :).

I use an Ultimate Direction bag and carry the bottles in the front - I think it balances me out and I know how much I'm drinking. You can try it out when I see you at the Maurice Mullins if you like, see how it feels compared to your own.

In this mixed weather I wear a t-shirt and cycle sleeves. Very easy to roll them down when you're warm and back up when the sun goes in without the hassle of putting on and off long sleeved tops or trying to decide what to wear.

Thanks, Neady, I was in the middle of striping off in the forest when hubby spotted someone coming down :D he nearly got an eye full. I wanted to take off my base layer but just took off the t-shirt. On my map, I went off course twice actually 3 times once was a pee stop, twice off course LOL but we figured our mistake quickly such a beautiful route my favorite part has to be as you reach Lough Tay and start crossing the mountains towards Djouce mountain it is all downhill till you cross a stile someone had a yurt type tent on the bank of the Gargle river. then it was a steep short sharp climb on big stones winding up to the top and then into the back of Powerscourt waterfall which was a lovely path to run downhill on with a spot of climbing over rocks. then it was on to forest roads bringing you to the first checkpoint point in crone wood followed quickly by the second checkpoint then after that the second climb before reaching the path past Prince William seat you scramble/run up the rocks that you can see my hubby carrying his mountain bike! then it is downhill from there. I think you start out on the road in Glencullen so running what I ran in reverse out towards Ballinstoe car park and back again! I have asked in the WhatsApp group for adventure racing if anyone has a link to last year's route some have done it before :)

I will deffo have a try of your pack, I am helping out in the morning so will be there early. I hope the day is as nice as yesterday

Funny story,
    my legs are sore today, the stairs are not my friend :D while coming down them earlier, my 4-year-old:D say's Mammy I think you need to foam roll

Monday 26/3
    Easy walking 40 minutes legs are sore the stairs are not my friend today:)

Tuesday 27/3
    5km recovery run 38 minutes
    30 minutes S&C
    Legs felt much better afterward

Wednesday 28/3
    10km very easy
    Legs are much better but still sore so kept it nice and easy

Thursday 29/3
    spin class 45 minutes I actually was not going to go but we had prepaid for it already so went in the end and I did not enjoy this at all, the instructor using some mad moves which I did not do! but during and after the class my right Achilles was very tender iced it and hoped it was just a tight calf so used the foam roller again to ease it all out.

Friday 30/3
    Planned 8 to 10km
    actual 5km
    I cut this run short, I just did not feel great from the start and my Achilles started to hurt not sure if I mentioned but before I ran my recce for the Wicklow way, I had my son up at physio I asked him to check my Achilles out as it felt tight so it worried me it was hurting again :eek: I booked an appointment with him he advised no spinning but I could run as planned over the weekend

Saturday/ Sunday
    felt a bit sick so rested and busy weekend with easter

Monday 2/4
    planned 16km
    actual 13km
    A nice trail run with hubby and a friend it was hard going as some of the route was all chopped down ( ooops we missed the sign) I was still not feeling great and did not want to risk getting really sick before the following weekend and the Maurice Mullins trail run, so I finished my run and waited in the Castlecomer cafe for the lads to finish.

Tuesday 3/4
    physio which left me feeling very worried about the weekend it all depended on how it felt on Friday :eek: I think I sent one or two worried messages LOL

Wednesday/Thursday
    rested

Friday 6/4
    Met a friend for a walk and a chat while our two hubbies ran and I ran around the track doing about 2km seeing how the leg was no issues and no tightness or soreness when I poked it. I felt confident that the two times it has flared up was after a spin class so I was good to go!

Maurice Mullins Trail Run report

We woke up nice an early I was feeling very nervous, making our way to the start line for the Ultra hubby was picking up runners drop bags for crone woods and I was going with the RD to help with registration for the trail run ( half the ultra) watched the ultra start I was keeping an eye out for Neady I actually think I spotted you but did not get a chance to run over! The RD wanted to get you all off bang on 9.30am and he did LOL

Then off with RD for Trail registration, I got very cold standing at registration, although it was lovely chatting to everyone all excited to get underway, I got on the bus the bus to the start line forgot to drink my Beet juice so had it while I waited for the bus to fill up, one work yuck! it hit my tummy and I felt a little sick but thankfully my tummy settled and I then remembered I had forgotten my banana I wanted to eat before we started oops.
    Got to the start in Ballinastoe woods and quick toilet stop and then I started to warm up a nice jog around some mountain bike tracks keeping out of the way of the Ultra runners coming into transition.

After a quick chat from RD, we got a quick countdown and we are off, the first 3km was uphill and plan was to run as much as I could and if I needed to walk then do it as fast as I could! walked once or twice on the very steep parts and I did not feel so bad as lots ahead where walking, we reached the top and I was looking forward to getting off the forest roads on to the mountain with the best part of the route to come. all I was hoping was I could run it and not fall on my arse.

The run-up to Lough Tay is on a rocky path leading up on to planks which I found slippy actually not impressed with my trail runners slippy and laces would not stay tied grrr ( any recommendations for good ones with good cushioning so you do not feel all the rocks underfoot ) no views of Dublin bay today but it was still beautiful with rolling mist and it felt quite warm as we ran on the planks to the turning point at Djouce leaving the planks behind yay!
    Now we came to the fun bit downhill on a single rocky windy technical and very muddy mountain track I loved this section and was able to push on passing loads on my way down, I was a little slower on the grassy downhill section but it was so slippy people where falling everywhere. I kept close to the grouse and could keep moving on till we came to the stony path leading to a bridge over the Dargle river where we met loads of scouts shouting encouragement loads of high fives great kids! really helped keep you going when you are facing a steep but short enough climb into the back of Powerscourt waterfalls but it was all downhill to crone woods worth the push to get up it!

Really enjoyed the nice run down towards crone woods car park even in the rain I was with a group of lads and happy I could keep with them and we joked about getting a cup of coffee off my hubby in Crone woods LOL I reminded my self to not push too hard as I knew it would be back to climbing again soon enough. Stupid lace opened again so I just ran carefully and stopped at the water stop a quick hello to hubby& Looked around just in case you Where there Annie get your run. I grabbed a drink of water tied the lace into a knot I hoped would not open again ( it did :mad:) and kept going.

A quick run down the road and back in to the forest down towards Glencree river where we crossed a bridge and then it was a muddy run along side the river, I caught up with another group of guys here as you had to climbe a steep but short enough climb ,I could really feel this in the back of my legs so walked side ways leading with my left leg then swapped to the right side and I kept to the sides of the path as I saw one poor guy nearly fall back down it walking up the middle. back out across another car park to another sharp steep climb this was hard going and I worked hard as I wanted to keep up with the group I was in, walked a little at the top on the forest path to recover and then back running out on to the road quick check of my watch and over 16km all ready .

The next section I was not looking forward to at all a long climb up towards Prince William seat. We reached the Wicklow way car park and I was so happy to see someone with water and coke! I never drink coke but that small cup was so refreshing, I thanked them so much for being there and pushed on I was starting to feel a little tired and was worried I would be very slow on the next uphill section. it was hard going on the forest roads but passed the time chatting to other runners I was so happy to see the rocky trail leading to the top, it was easier to move quickly up like climbing stairs. met up with another lovely woman running the ultra here and stuck behind her chatting and she was encouraging me on. I knew I had pushed my self and was feeling it, my runners were hurting my feet did I mention I do not like them LOL

20km at last and nearly all downhill to the bridge with only 5.5km to go! at last, we are crossing the bridge and running side by side oh crap another hill! I forgot about this one we started to run it, got nearly to the top and started laughing eh nope and walked to the top and we then started running again the last push to the finish. spotted a guy from earlier ahead walking and patted him on the back and tried to encourage him to come with us I am not sure he did. At last, the turn into the adventure center and an attempt to up the pace worked a little but no sprint finish today. I thanked the lovely woman who I ran home with she helped me so much and congratulated her ultra run she gave me a big hug! us runners are a lovely bunch.

Enjoyed 2 glasses of water and kept moving as I waited for my hubby to come back to me I had a few aches and pains mainly my lower back. found him and changed my tops! note to self, bring a change of trousers next time! We then chatted to the guy from the facebook page Mud sweat and runners, he should have a video up on the route, watched and cheered some other runners home and cheered Neady and her running buddy in ( you did not see us ) got to meet in person lovely chatting to you :)and ended the day with a yummy burger before we headed home.
    all in all an epic day and I was very lucky and got one of the lovely mugs yay!

Sunday
    Volunteer duties at Slievenamon trail race and delighted legs did not feel as bad as I expected even managed a good bit of running up and down a hill between registration and start/finish line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Well done, sounds like a great race. Will have to keep it in mind for next year!

chickey2
    it is a fantastic event and a lovely challenging route :)

I completely forgot to mention, My hubby was delighted he got to meet Enduro form these parts and chat about Barkley he was out on a run himself :)

Well done N. A great read. You really bring it to life.

Great report N, well done :) So delighted to meet you and hubby on Saturday. He was great at the checkpoint.

That last hill and we thought the race finished at the GAA club so we were really emptying the tank, that last section was torture :D Brilliant race though, I really enjoyed it and it was such a boost to see you guys coming up the hill from Ballinastoe.

Trail runners and which ones to wear for a race .... it's an eternal question. I used the Salamon speedcross on Saturday and they stuck to the rocks really well, the INOV8 seem to be very good on that ground too. The limestone in the Burren is much slippier than the granite in Wicklow so see if you can get a pair broken in before the Burren marathon.

I liked those stone steps towards the end too, much easier to climb.

p.s. tried Tailwind rebuild after the race on Saturday, it's gritty but delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Great report well done!

Have you tried lock laces? They're cheap enough and handy out... good for the kids too ;)

Advertisement