Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the mind believes the Body achieves!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Any idea on what IMRA races you will target Baby75?

And what's in store for you in terms of adventuring this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Neady83 wrote: »
    Any idea on what IMRA races you will target Baby75?

And what's in store for you in terms of adventuring this year?

Hi Neady, well the first one is Castlecomer this weekend and I will probably do the rest in the south east lensiter league as well some are very close to me Glendalough is only an hour away but I plan on doing more.

Adventure races, loads I am sure I will forget them all LOL but Looking at galeforce in feb, quest Glendalough, The Moxi, Lilliput legend ( loved this last year highly recommend it, you would love it and the BBQ afterwards was delicious. Quest achill if we are not away I want to go back and do that again!

Then we are still trying to decide about quest 12/24 hour or Coast to Coast I would love to do them both but finances might not let us. we shall see!! one will be done though.

Then I have registered to do a cycle from Paris to Eindhoven it is organised by my husband's job every year for charity, but places are limited to 65 and being a spouse I come last in the pecking order LOL so I will find out if I have a place in March.

How are you doing, anything planned soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

You are amazing N! Where do you find the time?

Kellygirl wrote: »
    You are amazing N! Where do you find the time?

:D loads of planning LOL and that's a great compliment coming from you with all you have planned this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Sweet lord Baby I'm exhausted just reading all that - how do you do it all and 5 kids as well? I am officially in awe :o

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote: »
    Sweet lord Baby I'm exhausted just reading all that - how do you do it all and 5 kids as well? I am officially in awe :o

Cough, Cough 7 kids :o;)

Well as you know the running looks after itself once you get out and do it and then early morning spinning helps as kids are asleep and my eldest is 17 and then we have a 15-year-old as well. so they help a lot and makes it easier to get out when I have to increase the runs again and get out on my bike more it will probably some very early mornings or I will go then hubby will go out. so we still get to do things with the kids.

Baby75 wrote: »
    :D loads of planning LOL and that's a great compliment coming from you with all you have planned this year :)

Just two runs!

Just two runs!

2 marathons :) and I am sure you will do more than that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Holy hell! I have one dog and that's enough organising for me :D. I doff my hat to you Baby, you have incredible energy :)

Well as you know the running looks after itself once you get out and do it and then early morning spinning helps as kids are asleep and my eldest is 17 and then we have a 15-year-old as well. so they help a lot and makes it easier to get out when I have to increase the runs again and get out on my bike more it will probably some very early mornings or I will go then hubby will go out. so we still get to do things with the kids.

Oooops, sorry :o

5... 7 whats a couple of kids between friends ;)

• Advertisement

Oooops, sorry :o

5... 7 whats a couple of kids between friends ;)

ah 2 of them are nearly fully grown anyway so your grand LOL :D

Slacking on updating!

Last week was a wipeout

Tuesday 8/1/18
    Planned 45 minutes easy pace.
    actual: nothing I had a cough and felt bad so decided to stay in. plus hubby said no!

Wednesday 9/1/18
    Should have been a speed session, but I was still not feeling the best and decided to just run easy 46 mins easy paced
    I probably should have skipped running as my chest was worse after it and que sinus infection

Thursday 10/1/18 unplanned rest

Friday: 1-hour spinning and I took it easy and chest was ok

Saturday11/1/18
    46.7 km in 2 hours
    Nice cycle with hubby solved my cold feet problems, yay! but energy was low I have no spark at all,l but I was still not 100% over my dose and some bad news was on my mind as well.

Sunday unplanned rest day spent the day with friends who lost their brother at only 46 note to all myself included get checked out more often make sure the old ticker is ok

This weeks training went a lot better & hubby is back running again as well :)

Tuesday 16/1/18
    6km easy
    The weather was awful it was freezing and snowing and I decided I was still going out, the snow on the ground was fresh and only a little covering and easy to run in so I just enjoyed the quite hardly anyone about and it was lovely running in snow showers rather than rain. I really enjoyed this run felt great after it and was glad I got out.

Wednesday
    Speed session thanks to Testosterscone :) post can be found here
    This was fun and really enjoyable, But I felt after I had finished that maybe I might have my 5km pace all wrong as I the last 5km race PB was so long ago I can not really use it! and it felt easier than I expected or maybe I am wrong in expecting it to have felt harder.
    But we did a warm-up then ran 1 minute at 5km pace with 3-minute recovery in between each interval x 8 with a cool down when we finished

Thursday 18/1/18
    unplanned rest day

Friday 19/1/18
    loads of walking, no spinning which I missed a lot so I went to Zumba which was brilliant fun and I used to get a really good work out from it not anymore :D it felt like a warmup for a run.

Saturday 20/1/18
    Club run 6km easy pace

Sunday is 9km trail race in Castlecomer with IMRA really looking forward to it I expect to be slow as hell but hey ho do not really care! :)

Have fun at the trail race!

Have fun at the trail race!

I will try LOL I hope it is not to muddy I do remember walking that trail before and one part was really bad knee deep bad LOL

I nearly had a mini panic when I could only find one trail runner but 11 year old to the rescue he found it :)

IMRA Castlecomer Trail Race

9km in 103 minutes, problems with my watch and GPS signal in the tree cover so strava says shorter a few had the same issues!

We arrived nice and early to Castlecomer Discovery Park and went to the centre for a quick toilet break and sign in and pick up our numbers. We grabbed a cup of coffee and met some of the local club members from Bootcamp and had a great chat :D we then went back to the car to get ready and do a quick warmup I even managed some drills and a few strides in the hopes it would help for what was ahead. It was raining hard but very mild which I was delighted about.

Off to the start and after a quick chat with race organisers, who advised us to take care on the most difficult part of the course where we would have a steep climb and very steep decent oooh interesting! we were off it was a nice run on forest roads before we turned off into the windy paths in the cover of the trees and the start of the mud and water :D I was really enjoying myself I decided there was no point avoiding the water and ran through it all ( fun times) lot's of joking around us and we were chatting our way through the trees.
    Some of this section was very tricky you had a narrow trail with a steep bank on our left it would of be a long slide to the bottom LOL loads of water to run through and some knee deep.

That section ended and we turned left back on to the forest path with the shorter routes turning back we had a nice little downhill to recover from the few steep sections. I think we were 4km in and it was a river/pond or just a huge big puddle crossing time! it was nearly waist deep for me. onwards to more up-down steep hilly winding paths with some amazing views and it was right at the start we hit the climb we where warned about and he was not joking about climbing up it! but then to get back down! I looked at hubby and said how the hell are we going to do this! no way was I running down it was way to steep for that with water and mud running down it so it was sliding down on your ass time and OMG it was great fun I actually build up some great speed and ended up covered in mud It was everywhere .............

Back to the River/pond/epic puddle crossing we got some great pictures here they are on the Castlecomer event page hubby was a gent and helped me :D

we went back up the forest path and I was wondering if we would be going back some of the way we had come up, I have to say I was a little worried about that as it was mostly uphill and very muddy and would have made for very slow moving on the way back down , but thankfully we were going back down another way and more fun winding our ways through the trees coming back out on to the forest path. I felt a bit tired at this point it felt like we had been running further that we had, so used the first bit of downhill as recovery and then we picked up the pace 2k left to go and felt like we were moving well so I was happy with that considering every stitch of clothing I had on was muddy and wet. we passed a marshal and he told us 1km to go, so we increased the pace passed another 2 marshals who asked to see our numbers more words of encouragement and they said less than 1km to go, hubby said come on let's push on, I looked at my watch and it said 4.25 min pace, I was delighted and just wanted to hold that to the finish!

about 600 out we could see the finish and a friends hubby was coming fast behind us and I went with him sprinting to the finish, I am really happy with that, I was delighted I had it in me to do it! my watch says 3.20 min pace I probably looked like a loon with my arms and legs going as fast as I could LOL and hubby cruising beside me.

but all in all a great day very well organised I loved every minute of it

I am looking forward to the next one in 2 weeks time!

Makes for great reading N. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Great report Baby, sounds like an amazing day despite the weather, well done again

Great report Baby, sounds like an amazing day despite the weather, well done again

The rain did not take away from it at all probably added to the fun! we got lucky it was nice and mild so for the first time in ages I was feeling very warm running

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Great racing :) well done on getting out in those horrible conditions :) Delighted you enjoyed it so much and thanks for the race report.
    a nice little downhill to recover from the few steep sections.

Best part of trail running, the recovery between the hills.
    I think we were 4km in and it was a river/pond or just a huge big puddle crossing time! it was nearly waist deep for me. onwards to more up-down steep hilly winding paths with some amazing views and it was right at the start we hit the climb we where warned about and he was not joking about climbing up it! but then to get back down! I looked at hubby and said how the hell are we going to do this! no way was I running down it was way to steep for that with water and mud running down it so it was sliding down on your ass time and OMG it was great fun I actually build up some great speed and ended up covered in mud It was everywhere .............

Pure unadulterated fun :)
    I felt a bit tired at this point it felt like we had been running further that we had, so used the first bit of downhill as recovery and then we picked up the pace 2k left to go and felt like we were moving well so I was happy with that considering every stitch of clothing I had on was muddy and wet. we passed a marshal and he told us 1km to go, so we increased the pace passed another 2 marshals who asked to see our numbers more words of encouragement and they said less than 1km to go

It's quite tiring puling your legs through mud :)

• Advertisement

Thanks, Neady it was a great day loved it, actually, it will make a great little brick session a nice 23km out, run the same route and then cycle back again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Brilliant stuff....sounds great fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Sounds like great craic altogether! Well done :)

Weeks training

Tuesday 23/1/18
    club run 8km @ easy pace
    disaster I forgot my watch so I was relying on hubby to pace us and normally I cam check and pull him back but it felt to fast for easy. I was actually worrying would it ruin everything for the week and thinking ahead for my 5km on Sunday probably over thinking it really.

Wednesday 24/1/8
    We had planned on a session but my in laws called so we never got out

Thursday 25/1/18
    Long run 11km easy pace enjoyed this run and had planned less but it was just one of those day and ran a bit more

Friday 26/1/18
    1 hour spinning a good class and a great start to the day

Saturday
    Rest day apart from a very nice easy walk with the family and my nieces :D

Sunday 28/1/18
    Race Charlie Curran 5km 26.46 average pace 5.21
    This run has been on my mind all week, from pacing it to can I get a good time or will I blow up I hope I do not go out to fast and its a suffer fest for the rest of the run with nothing in the tank for finish with a nice sprint.

So I woke up this morning feeling fine nice and relaxed but the closer it came to leaving the more my tummy started spin and I started to feel very nervous I have not felt like this since the HM in Newbridge house during the run up to DCM :eek:
    I set up my watch aiming to keep my average pace under 5.25 minute pace I picked up our numbers a few toilet breaks and chatted to friends before doing a quick warm up and headed to the start. Hubby headed to the toilet and I tried to find a friend from my running club who wanted to run with me.

Before I knew it the count down was on and we are off, no hubby and no friend LOL but I knew I would find them or they find me! I tried to stay with in target pace and not get caught up in those around me flying out at the start I think I did ok. I found my friend quickly and hubby found us all was good except for the slight drag up to the 1km marker and met the first photographer
    by my watch first km in 5.29 minutes

2nd Km was more of the same under pressure but coping and enjoying it regardless past 2km we hit a little hill and kept the pace up 2.5 and a water station well stocked and organised I missed the water but did not worry and I knew I grab one after we turned around. which I did just sipped enough to wet my mouth and had to leave the bottle I was going to carry it but it annoyed me straight away.
    2km in 5.28 by my watch ( strava has it a second slower ?)

I was looking forward to the turn around as we had a nice little down hill and no more drag yay, but we had a nice little head wind to contend with now! it was at the 3km mark I had my first little chat with myself, No I do not need to slow down, just keep moving! checked my pace and watch said 5.15 happy with that
    3rd km in 5.24 ( watch)

Only 2km to go and still feeling under pressure but still ok as well I kept an eye on the watch and increased my pace a little I was passing people now and my friend was doing great as well she normally likes to stick to 30 mins 5k and only really does 5k was still with me. 4th km in 5.22

Last 1km and I was feeling good and still telling my self not to slow down hubby had pushed on ahead and my friend said to go on she was slowing a little. I tried to push on faster and knew I was nearly there, the arch was in sight and once at it only 300m to go I wondered would I be able to sprint that last 300m I guess I was going to find out looked at my watch and it said 24 minutes no way was I slowing down now. under the arch and slowly pushed on I could see the finish line and was able to dig deep and sprint the finish

5th km in 5.08 over all time by my watch is 26.46 seems to be a problem with the race results everyone gun time and chip time say the same thing.

Great report N and well done for pushing on. I’m the same when i’m doing 5kms having to not allow myself slow down.

Great report N and well done for pushing on. I’m the same when i’m doing 5kms having to not allow myself slow down.

I am glad I did not slow down now and kept it up :) just shows what we can achieve when we put our minds to it

Super running Baby. And yes, i have to have words with myself too, quite often the mind wins, it's an awful feeling afterwards. You did good girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great running Niamh. To do a fast race after some of the longer stuff you have been doing is never easy. Only a week ago you were mud sliding around on your Aras!

Super running Baby. And yes, i have to have words with myself too, quite often the mind wins, it's an awful feeling afterwards. You did good girl.

I know it happened the last time I ran that route at the same race last year :) So when I felt that little voice say slow down I ignored it I did not want to feel that again! I was a little worried I would not get the time I had in my head that I had set my sights to high and would feel awful when I finished.
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Great running Niamh. To do a fast race after some of the longer stuff you have been doing is never easy. Only a week ago you were mud sliding around on your Aras!

True LOL I am hoping the mud sliding help's me in the long run I am hoping I will see another minute off my time a 25 minute 5k that once used to be my A goal now I feel it will be a milestone but a stepping stone as well I want lower sub 25 minute

more mud sliding next week in wexford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Brilliant, two great races and reports. Enjoy Wexford!

Advertisement