Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular GAA opinion - MOD Note #426

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Racy of the soil is my new favourite thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

keane2097 wrote: »
    Racy of the soil is my new favourite thing

Presumably that means you'd be "shoutin' for Kerry agin Dublin" when the chips are down.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

DDC1990 wrote:
    It's just like wearing a coloured tShirt, as long as you dont actually believe that you might get the call from the sideline with 5 mins to go in the All Ireland Semi. Surely you have an issue with how people behave while wearing jerseys rather than all jersey wearers. Ye narries are a strange bunch.

I don't know, I think he has a point, jerseys are for the young fellas. You'd need to look as if you still play. Or else go retro.

Plenty of other tops to wear anyway.
    I think O'Neill's do well in that regard. Theirs sizes are inconsistent as hell though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

I'm 100% with Keane on this one. If I see a man over say 25 wearing a county jersey I immediately take him less seriously.

And in GAA of all sports the people who attend county matches only is maddening. There's a club in every corner of the country like..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

TrueGael wrote: »
    The 'Dublin media' phenomenon is very much real and prevalent in 2017

For proof look no further look at DTE putting forward a semi final victory as a National Sporting Moment.

The most defining 'moment' was Mikey Sheehy's goal in 78' also Galway 3's in a row as well as Down winning 3 AI's in the 60's - first time a team across the border won - ignored

Also Cork's 3 in a row and the Double in 1990 got no mention from the 'Dublin Media'. Don't let anyone tell you the 'Dublin media' doesn't exist or has no agenda

Shameless

the "Dublin meeja" :) how many dubs write GAA columns for any national newspapers? Go on, name two...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

If I see a man over say 25 wearing a county jersey I immediately take him less seriously.

To be fair I don't think anyone wears a county jersey in order to be taken seriously in the first place. They'll take the hit on that one.

While I would generally have a tolerant attitude to what people wear at matches (what difference?) the people I would cross the road to avoid are the "please notice me" young lads who wear their own county jersey to Croke Park on days other counties are playing. Or those who go to Munster matches in the European Cup wearing the Clare or Kerry jersey or whatever hoping to get on the telly and let people see how in touch with their roots they are. I realise supporting Munster is as arbitrary and fabricated as supporting Manchester United (if they weren't on the telly as much you wouldn't be supporting them) but at least don't make it so obvious by wearing County colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

The sight I can't unsee from this year, is 3 fellas on Drumcondra Rd 50+ wearing Dublin Jerseys, skinny tracksuit bottoms with maybe 2 inches of ankle on show, ankle socks and white runners ...

I have an appreciation now for what a rabbit goes through when it gets lamped..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

DoctaDee wrote: »
    The sight I can't unsee from this year, is 3 fellas on Drumcondra Rd 50+ wearing Dublin Jerseys, skinny tracksuit bottoms with maybe 2 inches of ankle on show, ankle socks and white runners ...

I have an appreciation now for what a rabbit goes through when it gets lamped..

It's an awful trend isn't it.

Jesus me Father would have knocked two shades of grey out of me if I attempted to walk out the door looking like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Slattsy wrote: »
    It's an awful trend isn't it.

Jesus me Father would have knocked two shades of grey out of me if I attempted to walk out the door looking like that!

Ah jaysis stop Slatts, crazy to think you'll be fashion policing your young girl in 15 years time, but there's no one that'll return the favour to you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Ah jaysis stop Slatts, crazy to think you'll be fashion policing your young girl in 15 years time, but there's no one that'll return the favour to you!

She's not leaving the house until she's 21 !!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

For proof look no further look at DTE putting forward a semi final victory as a National Sporting Moment.

The most defining 'moment' was Mikey Sheehy's goal in 78' also Galway 3's in a row as well as Down winning 3 AI's in the 60's - first time a team across the border won - ignored

Also Cork's 3 in a row and the Double in 1990 got no mention from the 'Dublin Media'. Don't let anyone tell you the 'Dublin media' doesn't exist or has no agenda

Shameless

Actually that was a farce.

As Loughnane mentioned last night you had fantastic show jumpers like Eddie Mackin, who finished second in the world and they were walking the Aga Khan trophy almost every year.

And Mike Sheehy's chip on Cullen is one of the most memorable incidents in football history.

Also the great laugh is that only entries concerning probably the greatest football team to have ever graced the field was the one where they were stopped getting their 5 in a row and one where they are beaten in a semi final.
    Complete joke.

And mark my words the Dublin win in 2011 will be one of the entries for the section 2000-2012

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'm 100% with Keane on this one. If I see a man over say 25 wearing a county jersey I immediately take him less seriously.

And in GAA of all sports the people who attend county matches only is maddening. There's a club in every corner of the country like..

My man

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Whatever about jerseys and the likes, the one that annoys me is the Dublin 1916 shirt 'the city that took on an empire'. Arrogance, historical ignorance etc all in one fu**in shirt

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Whatever about jerseys and the likes, the one that annoys me is the Dublin 1916 shirt 'the city that took on an empire'. Arrogance, historical ignorance etc all in one fu**in shirt

Dublin's key role in 1916 and after; the most important centre of the revolution along with Munster, is hardly in dispute. However, I agree with you about the shirt.

I don't think there should be any association of politics with sport, and that includes the Palestinian flag nonsense, water charges banners, and even political flags ffs!

The Dublin shirt you refer to is also a cynical means to make money by Sinn Féin. "Buy a shirt = contribute to the Donegal holiday home fund." :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Bonniedog wrote:
    and that includes the Palestinian flag nonsense, water charges banners

Agreed.

I hate the tricolor being brought by supporters at non international sporting events

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Dublin's key role in 1916 and after; the most important centre of the revolution along with Munster, is hardly in dispute. However, I agree with you about the shirt.

What bothers me is that it aims to insinuate that Dubliners were solely responsible for the Easter Rising, when men from all over the island were involved. Of course, Dublin did indeed have a key role as the main staging point of the Rising, because it was the seat of British Government. There wasn't much point in staging it in Claremorris.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Dublin was the main place that fought in 1916 because almost everywhere else followed the countermanding order and stayed home.

Dublin was the main place that fought in 1916 because almost everywhere else followed the countermanding order and stayed home.

The countermanding order was a factor in 1916.

Who countermanded almost the whole of the rest of country outside Dublin and Munster to do almost nothing during the Tan War!

I do agree with the Dr. above that it is invidious to associate any county with the Rising or any other event. It has nothing to do with Dublin GAA by the way. It is Sinn Féin cashing in on the footballers success to make money. Plays right into the ultra nonsense that some people are trying to introduce.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

ClanofLams wrote: »

It's hilarious considering the fact that the people of Dublin spit in the face of the protagonists of the 1916 Rising and cheered the British for quelling the rebellion, it wasn't known as the Pale for no reason

If it wasn't for the republicans most notably in Kerry and Cork leading the charge we would still be beholden to the Crown today.

• Advertisement

It's hilarious considering the fact that the people of Dublin spit in the face of the protagonists of the 1916 Rising and cheered the British for quelling the rebellion, it wasn't known as the Pale for no reason

If it wasn't for the republicans most notably in Kerry and Cork leading the charge we would still be beholden to the Crown today.

The "people of Dublin" did not spit at the protagonists. The people who did were families of Irish soldiers, most of whom were from outside Dublin or they would have been living at home, who were in the barracks the prisoners passed after they surrendered.

Eunan O'Halpin has published the definitive record of casualties. Cork and Dublin were by far the most active areas. Most of the killings in Belfast were of Catholics by loyalists. The IRA was not very active:

*2,141  deaths from political violence in 1917-21, of whom;
    * Three places combined; Cork County,  Dublin city and Belfast, saw over 50% of the fatalities.
    * A further 25% of the casualties are shared between four Munster counties; Limerick, Kerry, Tipperary and Clare.

http://www.theirishstory.com/2012/02/10/eunan-o-halpin-on-the-dead-of-the-irish-revolution/#.WhhEDrp2u1s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Bonniedog wrote: »
    The "people of Dublin" did not spit at the protagonists. The people who did were families of Irish soldiers, most of whom were from outside Dublin or they would have been living at home, who were in the barracks the prisoners passed after they surrendered.

Eunan O'Halpin has published the definitive record of casualties. Cork and Dublin were by far the most active areas. Most of the killings in Belfast were of Catholics by loyalists. The IRA was not very active:

*2,141  deaths from political violence in 1917-21, of whom;
    * Three places combined; Cork County,  Dublin city and Belfast, saw over 50% of the fatalities.
    * A further 25% of the casualties are shared between four Munster counties; Limerick, Kerry, Tipperary and Clare.

http://www.theirishstory.com/2012/02/10/eunan-o-halpin-on-the-dead-of-the-irish-revolution/#.WhhEDrp2u1s

I'd take no notice. Another fella whose vast majority of posts are slating Dublin for one thing or another.

I reckon Bernard must have scored his missus in Coppers one night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Shameless

I see it's extending to their ladies footballers now as well. RTE airing a documentary on their "remarkable" AI win this year. No such show on Cork's legendary team winning eleven in twelve years and being undoubtedly one of the greatest sides of all-time though.

And it's not like Dublin came out of nowhere to win their AI either- they were robbed in last year's final, lost by two points in 2015, by one point in 2014 and won it back in 2010.

So I suppose my unpopular opinion is that the media love-in for Dublin is grating, and actually is a significant factor in the general apathy shown towards the county from everyone else. Now Dublin fans will come out and say I'm delusion like the rest of the culchies, but if anything they are living in denial if they can't see the "favourtism" they are subjected to in media circles.

Patww79 wrote: »

You're right, thousands live way outside of the range of the club they grew up loving. It's a feeling I know only too well sadly.

IF you truly love the games though I think you find a club where you are exiled and you throw yourself into that. It's never same as your real home club, but there's no reason you can't have great experiences there.

Patww79 wrote: »

QED

So I suppose my unpopular opinion is that the media love-in for Dublin is grating, and actually is a significant factor in the general apathy shown towards the county from everyone else. Now Dublin fans will come out and say I'm delusion like the rest of the culchies, but if anything they are living in denial if they can't see the "favourtism" they are subjected to in media circles.

There's a few here calling people culchies.

I'll give you one. The Kildare guy who likes to go home and read the Kildare Post and listen to KFM.

Earns his crust in Dublin or most of his friends do and he's in and out, has an issue with the Dublin Media.
    I don't visit Ennis pick up the Clare Championship and expect to read about Dublin GAA. Thing is not many without a connection to Clare do.

Don't tune in, don't read it, read about you own county, get TuneIn radio.

On RTE there's Ciaran Whelan all the other guys are from outside Dublin.

But unless you have a connection to a winning team the Irish public don't really listen to you imo. People will want to know what Pat Spillane has to say about Kerry more than what Johnny Doyle has to say, unless you are from Kildare.

The media was all over Kildare when Micko was there, was it because he was from Kerry? Maybe it was because he got Kildare winning.

RTE is full of Kerry guys, why is that? Spillane has 8 AI, TO'S has 4 or 5 as has Gooch. That's acceptable, O'Rourke has a couple the same guys dominate the papers. If your team is successful you'll be listened to.

The Dublin footballers have been extremely successful, they have won 5 AI and are currently the benchmark, they are going to be talked about, that's what the Kerry lads say about them because they've won enough themselves not to be too bitter about it and know their time will come again.

But consistency negative posts from some, " I suppose I'll be called or culchie" or "dirty culchies isn't that what they call us"
    Trying in some backhand way to insult yourself on Dublin people's behalf.

Has someone here every called you a delusional Culchie?
    Have you written multiple negative posts about Dublin??
    Yes you have
    That and not where you come from form my opinion of you.

You go outside the cities in Ireland and some of the townsfolk look down their noses at their fellow rural county men all the time.

I worked in England for a bit, I certainly didn't entertain words like Paddy or Mick. I certainly didn't make stupid comments like " ok guys call me a stupid Paddy, but why don't we do it like this ?

Didn't expect to hear 98FM or pick up the evening herald everywhere either.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

It's easy say 'change the station', 'Ignore it' but it is incredibly difficult as every newspaper , TV Station, Radio Station & Social Media constantly bombards us with Dublin GAA 24/7, no other county gets 10% of the attention. No wonder they can attract such a high volume of sponsors - they are bigger than the sport

Kilkenny certainly didn't when they were winning left right and centre. Tyrone didn't in the 00's and Kerry most certainly didn't at any point.

And it's not even all entirely Football related - The WAGS get loads of attention as well - it's reminiscent of the England soccer team under Sven the coverage is overbearing and really grates on neutrals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Bull, if you know a single WAG thats on you and nobody else. I'm living in Dublin and I couldn't tell you a single thing about any Dublin WAG's, beyond knowing that one of the Dublin players has a girlfriend who plays with the Dublin senior ladies team. Don't ask me names though.

Your problem is you hate Dublin so much you are seeing them in every shadow.

Advertisement