Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular GAA opinion - MOD Note #426

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I also think grown ups - particularly fat, adult men - who wear county jerseys to matches should probably all be killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

keane2097 wrote: »
    My presumably unpopular opinion would be that people who only follow intercounty teams are not GAA people (could maybe accept some exceptions for people that run fund-raising clubs etc, but maybe not too).

I would prefer a club person in Leitrim to get an All Ireland final ticket before a 'die-hard' fan of a county in the final who doesn't have a club, regardless of how many flags they have or how often they paint their faces.

I don't think exclusively county supporters should be listened to about anything in general. That last bit might be limited to GAA topics, but might not, I'd have to think some more about it.

Understand the point, but then those die-hard 'club first always' heads probably shouldn't be listened to either. Like a lot of things in the GAA, there is a balance to be found, and people making decisions are generally too much in one camp or the other to make the right ones. We could really do with an outside body taking a look at the gaa and making some suggestions. That would be progress.

Understand the point, but then those die-hard 'club first always' heads probably shouldn't be listened to either. Like a lot of things in the GAA, there is a balance to be found, and people making decisions are generally too much in one camp or the other to make the right ones. We could really do with an outside body taking a look at the gaa and making some suggestions. That would be progress.

I think the GAA would be a lot better if the club first always people were given a week or two of an amnesty to take a flamethrower to the current organisation.

I'm increasingly of the opinion that over the last 20 years intercounty has become a cancer ruining the association for the people who own it and it probably needs to be fired into the sun.

Intercounty consumers are obviously not included in the list of people who own the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,105 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

My presumably unpopular opinion would be that people who only follow intercounty teams are not GAA people (could maybe accept some exceptions for people that run fund-raising clubs etc, but maybe not too).

I would prefer a club person in Leitrim to get an All Ireland final ticket before a 'die-hard' fan of a county in the final who doesn't have a club, regardless of how many flags they have or how often they paint their faces.

I don't think exclusively county supporters should be listened to about anything in general. That last bit might be limited to GAA topics, but might not, I'd have to think some more about it.

To be honest I think there is a good bit of overlap between the two, so all the machine guns and flame thrower in the world would just end up with the same result, genocide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

That isn't really what you asked me though. It was a win out of nowhere 7 years ago, and then not feature for another 11 years after that, so a bolt from the blue and 11 years of disaster over a 12 year period. Whereas now we have featured heavily for 7 years, and have another 5 years to win 1, or 5, all Irelands...
    I'm asking you; If I guaranteed Mayo an All Ireland in 2018 for the price of them definitely not winning one another one before 2028, you wouldn't take that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,105 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm asking you; If I guaranteed Mayo an All Ireland in 2018 for the price of them definitely not winning one another one before 2028, you wouldn't take that?

Anybody would be a fool not to.

The 7 years we have just had ending in a no brainier.

But say you would give them an All Ireland in 2028 and nothing before or ten years after, now that's a different question.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

keane2097 wrote:
    I also think grown ups - particularly fat, adult men - who wear county jerseys to matches should probably all be killed.

Uh oh. As an Adult male who wears not only a Kerry jersey but other jerseys as well I'm staying well clear of Strand Road for a while....

For me the wearing of a county jersey adds to the colour of match day. I also find them comfortable to wear. I own a lot more jerseys than t-shirts. People probably think I look stupid but as long as I'm happy I don't give a ****e.

I have plenty of other county jerseys and club jersey that I think look nice. I agree that the massively overweight lads bet into their tight fit XL jersey isn't a good look, but like I said if they are happy then off with them. I abhor the pink jerseys, because for me, the county colours are important. The pink jerseys are a cheap commercial ploy (with many still believing that they are a fund raiser for Breast Cancer).

I know people who wear jerseys, and people who wear a shirt and slacks to the match. A jersey doesn't make them any more/less of a fan, but if people want to wear them- off with them IMO.

Also, as someone who lives 4 hours away from my home club I'm very much a County over Club person in terms of games I get to attend. When I'm home I always try and get to a match but I' get to less than 50% of club matches I'd say. I attend 100% of Kerry matches.

However if you offered me a Senior All Ireland for Kerry or a Junior All Ireland for Na Gaeil I'd take the club All Ireland every day of the week. Without a doubt.

I was devestated with the county Semi Final loss to Firies this year, because with the team they have, they could have gone all the way. I would expect to see Dromid in Croke Park in February.

To be honest I think there is a good bit of overlap between the two, so all the machine guns and flame thrower in the world would just end up with the same result, genocide.

There's no overlap between club people and intercounty-only people.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Uh oh. As an Adult male who wears not only a Kerry jersey but other jerseys as well I'm staying well clear of Strand Road for a while....

For me the wearing of a county jersey adds to the colour of match day. I also find them comfortable to wear. I own a lot more jerseys than t-shirts. People probably think I look stupid but as long as I'm happy I don't give a ****e.

I always wonder about this. There's a lot of hate for this kind of thing, which I don't understand.

I wear my county jersey to bigger matches during the summer, and sometimes just around the house or when on holidays in a warm country. I'm 32. They fit me quite well too.

Most of my casual wear would be sports gear, and I have around 80 jerseys, between GAA (I own jerseys from a number of counties, I suppose you could say I collect them), soccer and rugby. I get a lot of slagging and comments from friends and other people I know who laugh at how many of them I own. Its just my thing.

I have plenty of other county jerseys and club jersey that I think look nice. I agree that the massively overweight lads bet into their tight fit XL jersey isn't a good look, but like I said if they are happy then off with them. I abhor the pink jerseys, because for me, the county colours are important. The pink jerseys are a cheap commercial ploy (with many still believing that they are a fund raiser for Breast Cancer).

I know people who wear jerseys, and people who wear a shirt and slacks to the match. A jersey doesn't make them any more/less of a fan, but if people want to wear them- off with them IMO.

Also, as someone who lives 4 hours away from my home club I'm very much a County over Club person in terms of games I get to attend. When I'm home I always try and get to a match but I' get to less than 50% of club matches I'd say. I attend 100% of Kerry matches.

However if you offered me a Senior All Ireland for Kerry or a Junior All Ireland for Na Gaeil I'd take the club All Ireland every day of the week. Without a doubt.

I was devestated with the county Semi Final loss to Firies this year, because with the team they have, they could have gone all the way. I would expect to see Dromid in Croke Park in February.

I have no problem with people who want to wear jerseys to matches besides thinking they should be killed. I agree that it adds colour, in much the same way as grave embarrassment acts as a rouge on already ruddy cheeks.

On the club/county thing - I have no problem with people supporting the county team obviously, I'm a big supporter of the Kerry team myself. No problem with people geographically separated from their clubs going to more county than club games, even ok with people who prefer the county scene to the club scene or even to their club itself.

The people who are county only supporters - i.e. no club affiliation at all - are to me just day-trippers. I totally encourage their participation in big IC GAA occasions, am glad they enjoy it etc. I have no beef with them in their participation as far as it goes. I just think for the most part they don't know what the GAA is, have a skewed perception about what is good for it and have little or no place in any conversations about what direction the association ought to take itself into the future.

I have some respect for people who travel all over the country supporting the county team even if they have no club. I just wouldn't have any particular interest in their opinion on how the GAA ought to be run any more than someone involved in Shannon RFC should have any interest in my opinion on the things the IRFU should do because I go to Heineken Cup matches when Munster are playing.

We're just operating under completely different sets of assumptions/interests/criteria and in my opinion the people who think the intercounty stuff is the most important aspect of the GAA haven't got a clue.

• Advertisement

It's jerseys at matches I have a particular peeve about, obviously wearing sports gear including county jerseys playing sports is ok. Wearing county jerseys in everyday life I wouldn't even waste a bullet.

I've often, in the most bizarre and varied of settings, found myself shaking my head in a sort of awe saying 'it doesn't matter where you are, it doesn't matter what you're doing, there will always be a guy in a Mayo jersey acting like a clown'.

It's jerseys at matches I have a particular peeve about, obviously wearing sports gear playing sports is ok. Wearing county jerseys in everyday life I wouldn't even waste a bullet.

Did you get jumped by a crowd of lads in county jerseys one night or something? I can see you hate seeing people wearing a county jersey in any context other than if they are actually playing for their county, but why??

Did you get jumped by a crowd of lads in county jerseys one night or something? I can see you hate seeing people wearing a county jersey in any context other than if they are actually playing for their county, but why??

I think it implies a state of arrested development.

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child, I wore county jerseys to matches thinking one day it might be me: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

I think it implies a state of arrested development.

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child, I wore county jerseys to matches thinking one day it might be me: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

As a child, I never wore a Roscommon shirt thinking that it might be me out there someday (mainly because even when I was 10, I knew I was shyte), I wore it because I liked the look of it.

I respect your opinion, although I think it is utter rubbish to state that wearing a jersey is childish. It's about identity. Some people have a scarf, some people wear those little woven things on their wrists. I think that lads who turn up to a match in a shirt and a blazer look like they're bloody lost, but look, each to their own.

I think that lads who turn up to a match in a shirt and a blazer look like they're bloody lost

Why dat?

Why dat?

Just sometimes seems like they're more interested in meeting a bird in town after the match than anything else. Doesn't really add any colour to the occasion. That said, if that's what they find comfortable, or if they prefer to look smart, then that's their shout.

Just sometimes seems like they're more interested in meeting a bird in town after the match than anything else. Doesn't really add any colour to the occasion. That said, if that's what they find comfortable, or if they prefer to look smart, then that's their shout.

Sure who else's shout would it be.

Sure who else's shout would it be.

Okey doke, we'll leave it there so!

Ah Keane you are gas!

In an era where you have Adults playing with Lego, Pokemon Go, Marvel Comic book movies are all the rage and 'Youtuber' is a ****ing paying profession- I think jerseys are way down the list of things that Adults do that is child like.

It's just like wearing a coloured tShirt, as long as you dont actually believe that you might get the call from the sideline with 5 mins to go in the All Ireland Semi. Surely you have an issue with how people behave while wearing jerseys rather than all jersey wearers. Ye narries are a strange bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I don't know what it's like to be a Donegal fan since 2012, nor do I know what it's like to be a Galway fan who's team won two All Ireland's in quick succession but have been terrible at national level since, and I won't until such a time as Mayo win an All Ireland and I get the chance to experience that win.
    I'm sure they have their own fond memories too.

Can sense a touch of a dig in this one :) . I'm only just sobering up from an AI victory in September

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I've often, in the most bizarre and varied of settings, found myself shaking my head in a sort of awe saying 'it doesn't matter where you are, it doesn't matter what you're doing, there will always be a guy in a Mayo jersey acting like a clown'.

95% of the time, it's just them though really! I was at 4 matches there by late June one season, Galway Sligo, Galway KK, Meath Kildare and a Donegal Ulster game and at all 4 there was someone there in a Mayo jersey. There was a lad at the Ireland Sweden Euro 2016 match in Paris last year in the full Mayo kit, boots and all and a huge Mayo flag draped around. People around me looking down at him were just incredulous. From a beach in Thailand to a shopping centre in Texas there'll be some lad in Mayo top with some sort of misguided pride

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭deadybai

Even if Dublin win 6 in a row (which they probably will) there will never be a better team than Kilkenny 06-12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭deadybai

Even if Dublin win 6 in a row (which they probably will) there will never be a better team than Kilkenny 06-12

Ah Keane you are gas!

In an era where you have Adults playing with Lego, Pokemon Go, Marvel Comic book movies are all the rage and 'Youtuber' is a ****ing paying profession- I think jerseys are way down the list of things that Adults do that is child like.

It's just like wearing a coloured tShirt, as long as you dont actually believe that you might get the call from the sideline with 5 mins to go in the All Ireland Semi. Surely you have an issue with how people behave while wearing jerseys rather than all jersey wearers. Ye narries are a strange bunch.

Listen, if you've ever looked at a bunch of goths, a stag party or Conor McGregor and thought "Jesus Christ they look like ****ing eejits" you're only one group of people behind me.

keane2097 wrote:
    Listen, if you've ever looked at a bunch of goths, a stag party or Conor McGregor and thought "Jesus Christ they look like ****ing eejits" you're only one group of people behind me.

Haha I was thinking that. Its the lads who wear those fecking shoes with the tassles and no shaggin socks that I don't get.

Haha I was thinking that. Its the lads who wear those fecking shoes with the tassles and no shaggin socks that I don't get.

And the jump from 'I don't get it' to 'they should be killed' is just a function of age, accumulated crankiness and proclivity to derive humour from hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

The 'Dublin media' phenomenon is very much real and prevalent in 2017

For proof look no further look at DTE putting forward a semi final victory as a National Sporting Moment.

The most defining 'moment' was Mikey Sheehy's goal in 78' also Galway 3's in a row as well as Down winning 3 AI's in the 60's - first time a team across the border won - ignored

Also Cork's 3 in a row and the Double in 1990 got no mention from the 'Dublin Media'. Don't let anyone tell you the 'Dublin media' doesn't exist or has no agenda

Shameless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

deadybai wrote: »

Silly comment, even allowing for the absurdity of a comparison between teams playing different sports. If a team goes 6 years without defeat (though how anyone can say "they probably will" when it's three years away is beyond me) they would probably be beyond comparison really. In a competition where over a decade ago people said back to back titles was nearly impossible, 6 in a row would be astonishing. I think the reaction would reflect that even if there'll inevitably be a residual begrudgery in some counties because it's Dublin and not some racy-of-the-soil county like Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

It would only be the same team in name and not personnel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

liam7831 wrote: »
    It wouldn't only be the same team in name and not personnel

Not sure what your point is. Only 5 Kilkenny players started the 2006 final and the 2012 replay. Was that the same team? And at what point does a team stop being the same team? I will have to doff my cap to your knowledge of the 2020 Dublin football team though.

Advertisement