Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular GAA opinion - MOD Note #426

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

You are naive if you think that. A bad league in 2013 and the knives come out. Cork won sam in 2010, they still got the same bad treatment in the press afterwards that they got before it. A one off win is over rated. Id be of the thinking that mayo stay at the top and win multiple finals..

Nothing naive about it at all, wanting to win that first All Ireland after 61 years.I couldn't give a fiddlers if a one off win is overrated!!What are the players going out to the pitch other than to win a final?

No multiple All Irelands if you can't get over the line in the first place.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

seligehgit wrote: »
    Nothing naive about it at all, wanting to win that first All Ireland after 61 years.I couldn't give a fiddlers if a one off win is overrated!!What are the players going out to the pitch other than to win a final?

No multiple All Irelands if you can't get over the line in the first place.;)

Who says they cant though?
    I just dont put any faith in this 'to win just once' idea. It's nonsense. Cork won just once, and more recently than tyrone, but id rather be a tyrone fan

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Kerry beat them in the league final last year..

Well Kerry beat them under Gavin in the 2015 league as well but since we're clearly talking about the SFC here both wins are irrelevant.

As for the rest, I think you've missed the point of my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This is hilarious. Donegal lads are still on a cloud from 2012, playing games as All-Ireland winners and a foot taller because of it, fans still full of pride from getting over that line.

But actually, no, they would have been better off losing that final and then losing another 3 or 4 finals since. They would have enjoyed that more, they would feel better today because of it. :pac::pac::pac:

This is hilarious. Donegal lads are still on a cloud from 2012, playing games as All-Ireland winners and a foot taller because of it, fans still full of pride from getting over that line.

But actually, no, they would have been better off losing that final and then losing another 3 or 4 finals since. They would have enjoyed that more, they would feel better today because of it. :pac::pac::pac:

Im sure they were, for a while in 2013. Then they got well beaten and 2012 was old news. Im not just saying that because mayo beat them, it is just a reality.
    Who is to say mayo arent a foot taller than they were in 2010? Id suggest they are that and more...

• Advertisement

Who says they cant though?
    I just dont put any faith in this 'to win just once' idea. It's nonsense. Cork won just once, and more recently than tyrone, but id rather be a tyrone fan

I have not said they can't but simply stated they have'nt.Until they do there will always be doubters.

TBH that mentality(to win just once) emanates from the longevity since our last win and multipile final losses which have undoubtedly had a significant adverse affect on the collective psyche.In addition it originates from the desperation amongst the fan base of a football crazy county for that which they crave most...SAM.

You know well there are many of the older generation who will die happy if a Mayo team can finally again win an All Ireland,it is not concept I believe outsiders truly get.Mayo people are easily pleased.

To think we are happy to turn up for our day out in September is nonsense,Croke Park was like a morgue for Mayo after the final this year.Many Dublin fans even noted same.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Im sure they were, for a while in 2013. Then they got well beaten and 2012 was old news. Im not just saying that because mayo beat them, it is just a reality.
    Who is to say mayo arent a foot taller than they were in 2010? Id suggest they are that and more...

You can suggest it, but in everybody else's reality Donegal's 2012 win very much stands taller than all of Mayo's glorious failures. Trying to suggest otherwise is, like I said, hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Man this is some stupid ****.

You can suggest it, but in everybody else's reality Donegal's 2012 win very much stands taller than all of Mayo's glorious failures. Trying to suggest otherwise is, like I said, hilarious.

Achievement standing taller? That is a different conversation. Im saying the mayo fans got more from those years collectively than the fans of a team that had a one off win like donegal managed. And also, id rather be a mayo fan challenging in the here and now than for example a donegal one who wont be challenging and havent for a while, 2012 win or not. That's it. Nothing about achievements standing taller or whatever other way you want to try to change the point.

To think we are happy to turn up for our day out in September is nonsense,Croke Park was like a morgue for Mayo after the final this year.Many Dublin fans even noted same.

Nobody is claiming we are though. The point is that from a fans perspective, the collective journey over the past 7 years is probably ahead of just winning an ai and fading away.

It is obvious to my mind. Do you not think that the mayo football fans have gotten .ore from their team than say the clare hurling fans for example? Of course they have, by a country mile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I know whst im saying is true because i know lots of mayo fans, and i know lots of donegal fans, and the mayo fans have gotten more out of their team in the last 7 years than the donegal fans.
    Remember im talking from a fans perspective here rather than a players

You should bear in mind you don't speak for all us Mayo fans.

Of course I enjoy supporting my county. I go to every game I can. I would rather be still in it in September than be knocked out in July.

But if i had to choose between one all Ireland, and not get near another final for another 20 years I'd take Sam every time.

Nobody is claiming we are though. The point is that from a fans perspective, the collective journey over the past 7 years is probably ahead of just winning an ai and fading away.

It is obvious to my mind. Do you not think that the mayo football fans have gotten .ore from their team than say the clare hurling fans for example? Of course they have, by a country mile

But both from a fans and players perspective absolutely nothing can compare with that feeling of attaining the holy grail.

I'd swop the ultimately fruitless journey we have travelled since 2012 for a win in that initial final against Donegal.I do not celebrate failure irrespective of how enjoyable of times we may have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Donegal didn't fade away after 2012 though. They got to the final again 2 years later.

That team won one All Ireland, lost another, consistently reached the quarter or semi finals not to mention winning 3 Ulster titles during the same period.

I'd take that over Mayo's recent history any day of the week.

By comparing them to Leicester you'd think Longford won the 2012 all Ireland final.

But both from a fans and players perspective absolutely nothing can compare with that feeling of attaining the holy grail.

I'd swop the ultimately fruitless journey we have travelled since 2012 for a win in that initial final against Donegal.I do not celebrate failure irrespective of how enjoyable of times we may have had.

Well evisence suggests that the feelibg is great but lasts a short while. In the grand scheme of things, one win isnt a whole lot. Obviously it is 1 more than we have. But i expect more tbh

Im not celebrating failure though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Well evisence suggests that the feelibg is great but lasts a short while. In the grand scheme of things, one win isnt a whole lot. Obviously it is 1 more than we have. But i expect more tbh

Im not celebrating failure though

Where's the evidence?

Can you link some sources?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Him comparing Mayo to Man United there a couple of pages back was probably the high point

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

The Prevalence of juicing among the school teachers and Guards who have to go to work 5 days a week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Slattsy wrote: »
    Where's the evidence?

Can you link some sources?

Do you prefer the Harvard referencing system and if so why.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭doc_17

Listening to Joe, Pat and Colm whine is far better than any “analysis” that Sky do.

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Donegal didn't fade away after 2012 though. They got to the final again 2 years later.

That team won one All Ireland, lost another, consistently reached the quarter or semi finals not to mention winning 3 Ulster titles during the same period.

I'd take that over Mayo's recent history any day of the week.

By comparing them to Leicester you'd think Longford won the 2012 all Ireland final.

You are probably taking the comparison too literally though. It's not really about donegal and i accept they challenged again in 2014, i used them simply as an example of a team who won once and are no longer at the business end rather than trying to pitch the two against each other in every facet. The point is about which would people rather, a one off success a good few years ago, or consistantly being at the top, challenging and potentially winning.. Like surely there is only so many times you could harp back to a win a few years back? Id offer the comparison of belgium and greece in the soccer maybe - but you might tell me they speak different languages..

The Leicester example i explained was an extreme one but I used it to accentuate the differences between the two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

keane2097 wrote: »
    Man this is some stupid ****.

It's deadly, isn't it?

McGuinness's record was....if memory serves:

AI semifinal loss.
    Al Final win
    AI quarter final loss
    AI final loss

That is the stuff of legend right there. There is not a county in the country who wouldn't make a deal with the devil to get that deal done....even if it meant 10 years in the relative wilderness, never mind the 3 of the Rory Gallagher era. Suggesting that any county would prefer to not to win Sam in that time frame & would prefer to get to and lose a few more finals instead....its nuts, plain nuts !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,061 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I have two Mayo college buddies that I met recently. Grand lads until they get together and become "mayo"..but anyway thats a different story. So I was talking to them both separately and they both told me (unprompted) that they really don't mind about the end result these days, that's it's just a joy to have a team contending and that's so much better than the vast majority can dream of.

At a later stage of the night, they then retreated by themselves their own corner together, discussing the final with each other in length, every missed score, tactical mistake, and referee decision debated in earnest. One lad was nearly in tears and they were clearly not over it in any way.

It's almost like a memo has gone out from Mayo supporters clubs telling them to toe this line about not caring about the end result when talking to outsiders,
    all the while pubs and shops and bookies up and down Mayo have them arguing about the final amongst themselves.

Maybe because I don't live in Mayo anymore that I didn't get the memo, it was probably posted to my home address.

The feeling after losing another All Ireland is not easy to describe.

It's not a moral victory, there is no sense of satisfaction of your team being apart of a great final once again, it, like the other finals and both recent SF replay losses, are games I will never rewatch.

The worst part of it for me is the suddenness of the end of the season. In the run up to the final one has thoughts and dreams of a big Monday night out at home, a fitting end to the summer.
    But that is replaced with the reality of the Monday being a normal Monday, back to the usual routine with what seems like a long long winter ahead.

But I will look back on the season with fond memories, like I look back on the last few years with fond memories
    Loftus's goal v Derry, his pass to Andy Moran and Moran's goal in the SF replay. The absolute intriguing game v Cork, the dispair at thinking this team were running on empty at the end of the Roscommon game and then the complete turn around a week later.
    All that was written and said about them both locally and nationally.

Not winning the All Ireland at the end has not and will not diminish the enjoyment I got from those events.

I don't know what it's like to be a Donegal fan since 2012, nor do I know what it's like to be a Galway fan who's team won two All Ireland's in quick succession but have been terrible at national level since, and I won't until such a time as Mayo win an All Ireland and I get the chance to experience that win.
    I'm sure they have their own fond memories too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Alpha_zero wrote: »
    The Prevalence of juicing among the school teachers and Guards who have to go to work 5 days a week.

yeah, I'd say all those teachers are shooting up in the toilets at work alright

I don't know what it's like to be a Donegal fan since 2012, nor do I know what it's like to be a Galway fan who's team won two All Ireland's in quick succession but have been terrible at national level since, and I won't until such a time as Mayo win an All Ireland and I get the chance to experience that win.
    I'm sure they have their own fond memories too.

True, and I agree with the above, they do have their memories. I have observed it at close hand more than once in a few places. Great celebrations, the team arriving home etc, brilliant. Some great images. But it doesn't go on that long either. The winter comes, the team is out in the FBD/O'Byrne etc, the season is new and the win is history. All they are at that point is just that, memories. We have plenty of similar ones too, years and years of them, in a row. Albeit not winners, but great days that shouldn't be sniffed at either.

Another side of it is, is it all it is cracked up to be? I have actually heard people from Donegal state that they enjoyed beating Dublin in 2014 more than winning the AI in 12. Colm O'Rourke stated how underwhelmed he was at winning it, and felt the journey there was the thing he remembers most. These things need to be considered also.

I suppose the best way of describing what I'm trying to say is if someone offered me the chance to win the AI in 2011, right at the very start; say we get lucky against Kerry and then it is Kevin Mcloughlin that is allowed to take 12 steps rather than kevin mcmanaman, and we win, but never feature again from then on, I'm not sure Id take it over what we have had over the last 7 years. In fact I know I wouldn't.
    If they were to make a movie about the last 7 years in the gaa, the story they would all be clambering to get the rights for is that of Mayo, that is kinda what I'm getting at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

If they were to make a movie about the last 7 years in the gaa, the story they would all be clambering to get the rights for is that of Mayo, that is kinda what I'm getting at.

True, look how successful the film "The Road" was. I'd say both films would leave you feeling the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,129 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

dobman88 wrote: »
    This Mayo team isn't as good as people are making out. If they were as good as people say, they would have won their all Ireland by now.

Well in that case this Dublin team are not that good really.

If Mayo are not great then what does it say about Dublin who can only just beat them by the narrowest of margins ?

The classification of the Dublin and Mayo teams of the last few years are very much interlinked.
    Rubbish the achievements of one and you rubbish the achievements of the other.

Jaden wrote: »
    True, look how successful the film "The Road" was. I'd say both films would leave you feeling the same way.

I was thinking more of a Friday Night Lights idea. You lads can be the thicko racists, sure you already label us as 'the culchies', not really much further to go on that front is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

So to be clear, you are asking if I would give up being potential winners over the next 10 years, to one win and 11 years of not being in contention?

Well obviously Id take the 7 years. Mayo could win 2-3 or more all Irelands in that time. At the end of the 7 years, I'm still 5 years shy of your 11 year absence... That's a strange question.

I don't think it's a strange question....fair enough, Mayo have been there or thereabouts for a long time now, but I can't see why you wouldn't be happy to finally win one for the first time in 67 years and then have a few quiet years after. That Mayo team is at a crossroads and, while I'd expect them to be a top team for the foreseeable, I can see them entering a transition period in the next few years.

If I was a Mayo fan, I'd take your arm off for one AI win. God knows they have been through enough heartbreak.

I don't think it's a strange question....fair enough, Mayo have been there or thereabouts for a long time now, but I can't see why you wouldn't be happy to finally win one for the first time in 67 years and then have a few quiet years after. That Mayo team is at a crossroads and, while I'd expect them to be a top team for the foreseeable, I can see them entering a transition period in the next few years.

If I was a Mayo fan, I'd take your arm off for one AI win. God knows they have been through enough heartbreak.

That isn't really what you asked me though. It was a win out of nowhere 7 years ago, and then not feature for another 11 years after that, so a bolt from the blue and 11 years of disaster over a 12 year period. Whereas now we have featured heavily for 7 years, and have another 5 years to win 1, or 5, all Irelands...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

My presumably unpopular opinion would be that people who only follow intercounty teams are not GAA people (could maybe accept some exceptions for people that run fund-raising clubs etc, but maybe not too).

I would prefer a club person in Leitrim to get an All Ireland final ticket before a 'die-hard' fan of a county in the final who doesn't have a club, regardless of how many flags they have or how often they paint their faces.

I don't think exclusively county supporters should be listened to about anything in general. That last bit might be limited to GAA topics, but might not, I'd have to think some more about it.

Advertisement