Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pippa Collection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I agree with what a few other posters have said, sassy is the right word. I've followed her for a good while and really liked her, and it's the first time I've noticed her tone like that. I understand that running a business can be stressful, but I wish she would take the feedback on the pricing on board, or at the very least acknowledge it, hell just paint a smile on your face, say thanks for all the comments and you will take their feedback on board, rise about it. People aren't commenting on the price for the sake of it, or to be nasty, I'd imagine many of those commenting on the price would have considered purchasing the product if the price was lower or more favourable. People commented, well on Boards anyway, about the MUF brush and SoSueMe stick on nails being pricey but I don't recall there being as much uproar over it.

For the record, I think both the candle and the planners look really nice, they are very visual, look well designed, look to be good quality, beautiful packaging, a lot of attention to detail. I would have no use for a planner personally, but if the candle was priced a bit lower (say €25/€30 depending on the size and burn time) I would have considered purchasing one as a treat for myself or someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

I agree Sunny.
    I'm seeing way more blow back on this than on any other blogger product. Even people like myself who bought her jeans are side eyeing the pricing structure for these, so it's not just haters or begrudgers. I don't recall seeing this reaction to her jeans. I've no doubt they'll sell well, but definitely she's not getting the same level of support that she has, I'd say it's taken her by surprise in all honesty, and she's not reacting well to it in my opinion.
    I do think the candles are a total rip off, if you look at the design, the glass is quite thick so you're really getting very little in terms of actual wax for the price. Anyone who goes to trade fairs or the National Craft and Design fair in the RDS (her target market) will see many, many home made and unique Irish companies there whose price points are so far from hers and better value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭scarbouro

I have followed Pippa for a long time and she is probably the only blogger I like style wise and she has kids similar to my own so I can relate to her on that level too but this is the first time I've seen her loose her composure.

Instead of addressing what people are asking about, she's on the defensive. Saying 98% of comments are positive is an absolute joke and she seriously needs to sit down and have a rethink about her pricing. From reading the comments, it looks more like 70% of people saying they're too expensive and 30% saying they will actually buy the product! The majority who did comment and said the prices were outrageous also wished the woman well so I'm not sure what her problem is. She got this one very wrong in my eyes and her behavior now is doing her no favors

That's some amount of money she's raking in from the fashion factories alone!!

The only thing that will make her rethink, is if sales are poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I agree with what you've said scarboro she was actually one of the only ones left I had any respect for, if she's at this blocking crap over asking questions over pricing she can literally take a hike.

• Advertisement

What did Pippa say to letsnotberipped off? I think I missed all of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭forumuser

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I've been following this thread with interest - I'm shocked at the fact that Pippa had done nothing to defend or justify the high price point!
    Surely she would be better off releasing a statement or whatever, along the lines of the quality of ingredients used, the high cost of responsible manufacturing, the sourcing of materials from Ireland (if applicable) etc, to let people see that she can't simply reduce the price of the products without completely obliterating her profit margins?
    Giving her the benefit of the doubt, it's quite possible that she's selling the stuff at a normal, reasonable markup - all she has to do is take a firm line that her products cost a lot to bring to market and so there can be no movement on the stated prices.
    I'd have a lot more respect for a reasoned, businesslike response like that than for the salty little jibes she's making on the instagram comment thread linked above. She's really let herself down.
    It's going to look very bad for her if she reduces the price down the line, too. That would prove what a lot of people already seem to suspect i.e. a rather cheeky markup!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

It was a bit random that she kinda mentioned in passing the new denim jacket (jackets?) but made videos about the candles and diary.
    As people here have said, the jeans are of more value to people (I still think they’re overpriced but whatever) so presumably people would be more willing to buy the jackets than the other stuff.

But I actually like the fact that she never lets people’s comments get to her, or at least (apart from being testy last night) doesn’t take to snapchat to rant which is so boring to watch.
    She’s just like here’s a candle, worship me by buying it, and people will.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Is it me, or have a lot of bloggers/social media people been showing other candles the past few days? Or am I just really sensitive to it at the moment, or looking for drama or shade when there is none? So far this week I recall Penneys candles, Esters Aromas and Brooke & Shoal as having featured on people's social media either purchased or gifted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

The denim jacket seems to have come out of nowhere! Very surprised at lack of promotion.

I think for the moment she has concentrated on the planners as she has those in stock and ready to sell. She has gone through them in detail and attempted to justify the high price point.

I think when the candles come into stock in the next week or two she will do the same with those and we will probably hear far more detail on them then.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Is it me, or have a lot of bloggers/social media people been showing other candles the past few days? Or am I just really sensitive to it at the moment, or looking for drama or shade when there is none? So far this week I recall Penneys candles, Esters Aromas and Brooke & Shoal as having featured on people's social media either purchased or gifted.

Well whether sheer coincidence or otherwise, I don't think it's your imagination cos I've thought the exact same!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

I haven't noticed people showing off candles, but I did see a couple showing diaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

has she said what ingredients have gone into these candles, bees wax, or what, they are way over the top in price, how do they come up with that figure

Nope, just that they're "poured" in Ireland whatever that means. Its a bit of a vague description, the wax could be made abroad along with the glass, shipped here and poured here. She hasn't said what the burn time is either. The page says "coming soon" but there is a small description of the scent, along with the measurements of the candle (they misspell diameter)....

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dizzyn

It's mad, like diptyque candles are 45 in Brown Thomas, and Max Benjamin and Cloon Keen are around the 30 mark. They're all well established brands so I really haven't a clue why hers are so expensive! They do look stunning, but I think the price is way off.

goat2 wrote: »
    has she said what ingredients have gone into these candles, bees wax, or what, they are way over the top in price, how do they come up with that figure

She hasn't answered one question about anything, which imo is a bizarre way for a business to function. It just shows she doesn't give a monkeys about your questions she just wants you to buy it. Don't question the price, how it's made, the burn time, the formula. Just cough up and zip it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

I like Pippa, I don't watch her snaps coz I've gone off most of the big names coz its ad after ad, but I think she seems nice. However, I think she's made a huge error here. Even her hardcore fans are appalled at the price. IMO you can't charge premium prices unless you are a premium brand, and I don't really think fashion and beauty bloggers fall under premium. The whole candle thing just seems weird, verrrry few people spend a ton on candles as it is, and if you really want to treat yourself, you'd go for Jo Malone or Diptyque. Also, why would anyone buy one off the internet without smelling it first?? I think she has misjudged how easily people will part with their cash here, and she'd be better off listening to her followers, than giving smart answers about the price. She's priced them wrong, and her sales will likely show this.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Emmser

I'm just tired of the boasting. I feel today on Snapchat was an attempt to boast about her Fashion factories and how popular she is. Even recording how quick they sell out seems peculiar. Almost like 'here, we have evidence I'm popular so p**s off you haters that don't want my candles'! :) I find this whole debacle and her response very passive aggressive.

That being said, if I had the money I probably would buy a candle, a pair of jeans, a planner and a ticket for her fashion factory!! But I don't, so I won't!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Look at the price point of the products that Tanya Burr and Zoella sell. They have MILLIONS of followers, worldwide. Pippa is nowhere near as well known as either of them but thinks she can sell candles and planners for an extortionate price. Zoella's candles are €16.50 in boots. Yes, a different target market. But still, even with millions of followers, they have nowhere near the notions Pippa has. If anything it actually makes me admire them for clearly not having an extremely high opinion of themselves.

• Advertisement

PLL wrote: »
    Look at the price point of the products that Tanya Burr and Zoella sell. They have MILLIONS of followers, worldwide. Pippa is nowhere near as well known as either of them but thinks she can sell candles and planners for an extortionate price. Zoella's candles are €16.50 in boots. Yes, a different target market. But still, even with millions of followers, they have nowhere near the notions Pippa has. If anything it actually makes me admire them for clearly not having an extremely high opinion of themselves.

Ah now, I don't think anyone could accuse Tanya Burr of not having a high opinion of herself :D
    Interesting point though - has any blogger released products with such a high price point? Surely it makes much more sense to aim for a 'stocking filler' price point to shift more stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

dee_mc wrote: »
    Ah now, I don't think anyone could accuse Tanya Burr of not having a high opinion of herself :D
    Interesting point though - has any blogger released products with such a high price point? Surely it makes much more sense to aim for a 'stocking filler' price point to shift more stock?

MUFs brushes were way over the mark too, I don't think they sold well in the end.

I hadn't been on Instagram in a few days but I just went on there for a browse and discovered I too have been blocked by Pippa! My question- what's the burn time on the candles? Why aren't you answering questions about the new products?

Jaysus. I've followed her for years and I've always had nothing but favourable things to say about her before this. What on earth is she at.

giphy.gif

I mean, will I ever get over this?

Anna, I'm so sorry. You must be devastated. I wonder if you've been blocked from purchasing the items too?
    Doubt it :D

dee_mc wrote: »
    Anna, I'm so sorry. You must be devastated. I wonder if you've been blocked from purchasing the items too?
    Doubt it :D

I must pop into the shop weighted down with bags and say "you know I'd love to buy all these amazing things but you've blocked me for asking a question, so......."

tumblr_o4nhdpqTVS1qbpr7qo1_250.gif

There’s an article on evoke.ie saying her new house was 1.3 million in a gated community overlooking the K Club.
    I wonder do they accept candles as mortgage repayments.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

There’s an article on evoke.ie saying her new house was 1.3 million in a gated community overlooking the K Club.
    I wonder do they accept candles as mortgage repayments.

is this the house she is living in now? Or the new one she bought that has to be done up?

She's obviously rolling in it.

The new one, but according to the article they were renting one nearby too.
    It must be all down to the Pippa brand. I don’t watch much Irish tv but haven’t seen him do anything non-Pippa related in ages.
    There was a few episodes of the 6 o clock show where he made cringey dad jokes, but she was presenting that too. Some serious cash they’re raking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭emo72

What exactly is her skill? Did she do a marketing degree?

• Advertisement

I don’t think so. She did the Irish Model on Grafton St in a bikini promoting the lotto in the early 00s. I never thought she’d become as big as she is, she’s very likeable though. And has great style and appeals to a more mature audience.
    Sue’s trying to copy her by having someone take over snapchat and going around talking to the audience, but all the clothes she showed in the fashion show bit were tarty PLT and Missguided bits, so she’s still very much in the teens/early 20s market.

Having said that, I have 4 Aldi candles in my stockpile and the only thing I use a notebook for is to write shopping lists.
    I’d look well going to Dunnes clutching my Pippa paper with fags and booze written on it.

Advertisement