Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pippa Collection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

€50 per candle!! Ok maybe Jo Malone can get away with those prices but I’m sorry that’s extortionate. Also a planner is a strange item to lump into a “collection” with only 2 product lines. Also I don’t see why a planner can cost €45 when I can buy one in Easons for a quarter of that price. Even my wedding planner which was a very extensive book and very helpful, cost €15.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

whatever about the planner as you'll get more use of that over a prolonged period (12 months), but a candle that will burn down to nothing, I don't care how long lasting they are, candles have a very limited life span unless you burn it for 5 minutes once a month.
    Aldi do great dupes of Jo Malone for €5 ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

€50 for each candle?! :O I Like Pippa and I like her style, but I could not justify spending that amount of money on a candle! It looks fab but I couldn't justify that price for just one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

She's getting greedy now. Who in their right mind would spend that on a planner!
    I can't see these doing well, the jeans are overpriced but at least you can get a good few wears out of them and get some value for money.
    She's p*ssed off a lot of people because it looks like blatant money grabbing. I can see her reducing the price from all the backlash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

Lindy97 wrote: »
    Aldi do great dupes of Jo Malone for €5 ffs.

Seriously i was just about to say this, i rave about these candles and for €5 i couldnt justify even buying a Jo Malone anymore the quality of the Aldi ones are so good, so i definitely wouldn't be spending that on a Pippa candle

• Advertisement

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    She's getting greedy now. Who in their right mind would spend that on a planner!
    I can't see these doing well, the jeans are overpriced but at least you can get a good few wears out of them and get some value for money.
    She's p*ssed off a lot of people because it looks like blatant money grabbing. I can see her reducing the price from all the backlash.

Is there backlash? Im on a social media detox all i have is Snapchat. Fill us in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

mel123 wrote: »
    Is there backlash? Im on a social media detox all i have is Snapchat. Fill us in :)

Hundreds of comments underneath all the press releases on instagram/facebook by people disgusted at the price and saying they won't buy. A lot of people seem to be calling it for what it is rather than rushing to gush and buy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

There's a lot of Bohemians making candles for Christmas markets,handmade, original and independent.

I know where I'll be buying my candles from for this Christmas...

Pippa who's Pippa

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Hundreds of comments underneath all the press releases on instagram/facebook by people disgusted at the price and saying they won't buy. A lot of people seem to be calling it for what it is rather than rushing to gush and buy!
    I think The Beautiful Truth had to delete her post on facebook about the collection as so many people had commented on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

As I said in the other thread €50 for a candle is utter lunacy. If I'm going to spend that much on a candle I'll buy Jo Malone, which is considered luxury and a treat. I actually think she has lost touch with this one and that price is actually greed in my eyes. I left a comment on her insta saying I feel she didn't have her followers wallets in mind with this one and it was deleted! Oceans of notions!

To clarify I like Pippa a lot and was actually looking forward to seeing what she was going to release but this is just disappointing. The life planner market is already saturated and you can buy fab candles for under €15. You could get 3 Yankee candles for the price she's charging!
    Oceans of notions.
    Who has €50 to literally burn?

• Advertisement

fg1406 wrote: »
    €50 per candle!! Ok maybe Jo Malone can get away with those prices but I’m sorry that’s extortionate. Also a planner is a strange item to lump into a “collection” with only 2 product lines. Also I don’t see why a planner can cost €45 when I can buy one in Easons for a quarter of that price. Even my wedding planner which was a very extensive book and very helpful, cost €15.

There was meant to be a third product but it never worked out. I remember her saying this on the day she was shooting for the products. She was saying that she'll only have to go ahead with the two as the third just wasn't right and she didn't want to bring out anything substandard.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

anna080 wrote: »
    Oceans of notions.

Love this :D:D:D:D

I'm sad Sinead had to delete the thread. There was over 800 comments, nothing bad said about Pippa herself just that people wouln't be buying it as its way too expensive.

I'd say Pippa made her delete it, and is going to lower the prices. Which is silly as she is making the fashion factory people seem like liars?

One poster in the comments said she was there at the weekend and when Pippa announced the products and prices the room fell silent and was noticeably awkward. Wonder why she didn't cop then!

She's on Snapchat this morning anyway not addressing any of the controversy so far- just pushing the point that they are sooo luxurious and sooooo stunning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

anna080 wrote: »
    She's on Snapchat this morning anyway not addressing any of the controversy so far- just pushing the point that they are sooo luxurious and sooooo stunning.

If you like candles, check out Christmas market's.
    They're more luxurious and hand made with love rather than ostentatiousness....

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭blairbear

Pippa also has nothing about her collection now on her fb or insta. There is a new Pippa Collection instagram and there's 630 comments underneath the candles post, a huge amount of them shocked at the price.

Why would anyone spend that on a candle without knowing what it smells like or how long it lasts?!? I only started buying Yankee Candles after witnessing how amazing they smell and how much time you get out of them. I consider them expensive for a candle. I would never buy a Jo Malone one.
    I think it's really unfair to charge that much. Pippa's only saving grace is that her followers tend to be in their 30s and 40s so it isn't like she's trying to get money out of teenagers, but that is largely incidental.

Fifty quid is HILARIOUS.

Jeans are one thing, they're decent quality and you can get years out of jeans if you look after them. She's priced her candles at over half the price a pair of some of her jeans cost, that is madness. Who the hell thought that was a good idea??

Even Jo Malone is an internationally known brand selling in luxury stores worldwide, she's a blogger not known outside Ireland basically. She and her team need their heads read over this. This is what happens when notions overtake common sense.

Are the people commenting on the video well? "Omg I can't wait to buy them all!!!".. Really? You can't wait to literally throw away €200 on four candles? Either these people don't know the price yet or some people literally have money to burn. Would ya be well.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I love candles but I'm such a scab that I give out to my bf for leaving the €5 Aldi one lighting when there's no one in the sitting room :D Not a hope in hell would I spend €50 on a candle from a blogger. I've bought Jo Malone ones for other people as gifts but that's a well-established and renowned brand.

The €5 Aldi candles are the bizz. It's breaks my heart to pay €20 for a Yankee! I'd never personally own a Jo Malone one especially when you can get a dupe of the exact scent in Aldi for five yoyos

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Are the Aldi candles still available, I've had a look for them before but haven't seen them.

I'm a massive fan of Yankee Candle White Gardina - it's so luxurious and pretty.

Can't wait to smell these Pippa candles but I won't be buying, I would prefer to spend that kinda money on Jo Malone or Diptyque!

• Advertisement

They are, and it's not just that they're cheap, the quality and scent from them is really strong, hell Ive even had ones from Penneys that have had great strong scent.

€50 quid.....dear oh dear

*Edit for Gingerlily: they're in my local Aldis, in beside the vitamins/make up and that section. They were originally I think only a special buy but Aldi brought them into the regular products after they sold out. Ask next time you're in, maybe some stores don't get them but a lot do seem to. They're nearly identical in look as well and have a handy lid on them for storing.
    They used to have one called Pomegranate Noir (number 3) but have changed it to Pomegranate..I'm guessing Jo Malone have that name trademarked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

I just saw the Instagram video. I love how Pippa says the planner is great for students - ha! Like they'd be able to afford that.

I myself am a self admitted stationary addict and snob but there's no way I'd ever shell out that price for something like that. There's nothing special to it to possibly justify that cost. For that price you can order customised moleskin diaries.

Yeah they're in my local Aldi (Long Mile Road) as a permanent product.

Sorry off topic, but while talking about the aldi candles, try the reed diffuser, OMG, they are amazing.
    Im the queen of candles and all things smelly, these are the best ive seen. The smell when i walk in to my house is divine, and its on the go the past 3 weeks now and no sign of it fading, loads of liquid left in the bottle.

Oh I must invest in them!
    I'm still in shock at a 50 euro candle, did she do no market research?!

mel123 wrote: »
    Sorry off topic, but while talking about the aldi candles, try the reed diffuser, OMG, they are amazing.
    Im the queen of candles and all things smelly, these are the best ive seen. The smell when i walk in to my house is divine, and its on the go the past 3 weeks now and no sign of it fading, loads of liquid left in the bottle.

Oh brilliant! I saw them the other day and was tempted to buy but wasn't sure if they'd be any good....I usually find cheap reed diffusers crap. Will be investing now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Yeah they're in my local Aldi (Long Mile Road) as a permanent product.

What section?

GingerLily wrote: »
    What section?
    In my local Aldi they're in the household section where the matches and black bags are kept.

wyrn wrote: »
    I just saw the Instagram video. I love how Pippa says the planner is great for students - ha! Like they'd be able to afford that.

I myself am a self admitted stationary addict and snob but there's no way I'd ever shell out that price for something like that. There's nothing special to it to possibly justify that cost. For that price you can order customised moleskin diaries.

I'm a student and we get a free planner every year from the student union. Also for students it would need to be dated to suit the academic year- hers isn't!

• Advertisement

Here's the Aldi's €5 version of the Jo Malone candles in case anyone can't shell out €50 for a candle https://www.aldi.ie/pomegranate-noir-glass-candle/p/072819109976300

Advertisement