Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pippa Collection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I popped into the shop in Dundrum and had a look at the candles and planners. The planners in fairness do look beautiful and it's nice that they have hardback covers. I can see them being a nice gift for someone that's doing up a house or planning a wedding. However they are expensive so I can't see the repeat market.

In comparison I got the miss mustard seed(American decorating blogger) home design doodle book and that was only £11.55. Though it is smaller. My sister was doing a good bit of work on her house so I got her one too and If I filled this one I'd be happy to re buy. there are no dates or months but I think that's a selling point. You can put your ideas and plans on paper without being stuck to. A timetable

Whereas pippa's one you would have to re buy every year.

Candles are totally over priced. I adore candles and would buy them as gifts but I wouldn't spend that kind of money. I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will buy them as a kind of status symbol though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I really want to know who her target market is at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

I would have said older markets, people with a bit more disposable income (so have money for her workshops, jeans etc), the Dundrum shopper market, but honestly, even those seem to have turned a bit given the price of the candles especially. She's getting a lot more blow back from supporters on it.

Its funny I was abroad this weekend and in a department store looking at Christmas gifts etc. and some really nice well known brands such as Rituals, have large candles and diffusers for 20-25. That should have been her price point, not bloody 42. I also dont believe they are made here, she was very careful to say they're "poured" in Ireland. Probably means everything is made abroad and the wax is imported and melted down and poured into the glass which is also made abroad, and she's doing the bare minimum here to claim the "Buy Irish" defense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Has anyone found them on Ali Express yet? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

wolfmoon87 wrote: »
    a range of candles (€42 each).
    Candles? I got the house wired up for electricity and I have the instant-on lighting. Can get a pack of bulbs for €5 in Tesco.

Candles... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Lougarden

I think the pricing reflects where the ego is going. 45 is ridiculous. Love the smell of scented candles in the house but not for the months esb forsaken. Candles are so easy to make and lovely to do yourself as presents, use your own essential oils and mixes and recycle the jars again and again. As the song goes 'taking the easy way out'.

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Has anyone found them on Ali Express yet? :D

well they're designed in Ireland (always find this a weird selling point unless you are a real Irish designer, this must get on the wick of homegrown artists/designers). Only other info is that they are poured here, so I'd say a couple of rounds on Aliexpress (lids, casing, wax, etc) and you'd have final product. Would be good to know the real backstory to these.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Sure designed in Ireland means nothing. I could draw a doodle of something I want printed on a jumper, and then send it to someone in a sweat shop to make it for me. Bet she thought she'd get away with that one.

anna080 wrote: »
    Sure designed in Ireland means nothing. I could draw a doodle of something I want printed on a jumper, and then send it to someone in a sweat shop to make it for me. Bet she thought she'd get away with that one.

yeah Anna when I saw her doing the great to see you support Irish Jazz on the letsnotberippedoff page I thought that's a tad misguided, think she is gone passed caring and probably making incomes for the hanger onners now so they'll start trying to do the shut downs on any questions now. Not the way to go.

*I was blocked donkeys ago for a question and thought the page was just changed ha ha, so curious even more now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    I really want to know who her target market is at this stage.

All her events (talks about fashion, style, diets and sh1te) are sold out for November. Big venues at €100 a head.

They are out there.

• Advertisement

Wombatman wrote: »
    All her events (talks about fashion, style, diets and sh1te) are sold out for November. Big venues at €100 a head.

They are out there.

I can't believe they are sold out wombatman and would think free tiks have gone out :D

I wouldn't attend an event like this for €100, (have people forgotten that you can see a broadway show, rock artist, amazing catwalk show for that price?)

Total sense of a serious cash out and looks like a big f off to those that followed and pension set and if it doesn't trend sure money made on a season of disposable candles and planners. People paying €100 are in the same circles. These products would be bargain basement already if there wasn't investment via 'fashion factories'...it even sounds cheap?

Lougarden wrote: »
    well they're designed in Ireland
    Designed what though? It's a candle. They've been around for millennia. It's a wick surrounded by wax and you set fire to one end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

Thanks to the op who recommended the Aldi candles. I picked up one today, excellent value & the diffuser looks (& smells) 'high end'. The house is smelling fab!
    Took me a while to find them beside the detergents!

Icsics wrote: »
    Thanks to the op who recommended the Aldi candles. I picked up one today, excellent value & the diffuser looks (& smells) 'high end'. The house is smelling fab!
    Took me a while to find them beside the detergents!

I got the lime, basil and mandarin (no.1). for 4.99 wow because if you put it in your bathroom or by fireplace which I've done it's lovely and there is a scent for sure. Can always redo the jars ourselves too and add oils. 45 for a candle is extracting urine

i got diffuser too, looks pretty and smells nice (*****no extraction of urine/pulling pis* involved)

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

The No.1 are my favourite too.
    In fact I bought them a good while ago and always forget to light candles.
    But thanks to Pippa and this thread I’ve remembered how lovely it is to have some nice candles burning! #influenced lol

I'm definitely going to try the diffusers from Aldi.
    I just don't get how anyone can describe a candle or a planner as a luxury item?? They're not skin care/make up or something that will affect how you look, or a designer bag or coat. I love candles both for scent and light, and honestly hers look really really poor. The glass is thicker so you're getting less for your money, just because she's frosted it and put a P on it, doesn't make it luxury, and it also looks like you can't use it afterwards if you clean it, unlike the Aldi ones or Izzy candles (think they get their jars from Ikea and they have lids so you can wash/sterilise and use for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Emmser

How is Pippa wearing those denim jackets in this weather? It's absolutely freeezhhhhiin the last few days. I imagine they're more of a spring wardrobe, who in their right mind would buy a denim jacket in winter? I'd be heading for La Penays for a puffy fake fur heavy bomber style jacket.

I guess she has the candles to warm her up at night, for that price I assume they generate more heat than a Stanley stove!

The minute she finishes snapping she probably strips it off her and puts on a padded parka- "get this fcuking shlt off me"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Emmser wrote: »
    How is Pippa wearing those denim jackets in this weather? It's absolutely freeezhhhhiin the last few days. I imagine they're more of a spring wardrobe, who in their right mind would buy a denim jacket in winter? I'd be heading for La Penays for a puffy fake fur heavy bomber style jacket.

Lol - I was about to ask where this 'La Penays' boutique was :D

Yep, she's flogging them in the depths of winter (which is stupid imo) but she can't not wear them if she's expecting people to fork out €85 quid for them

• Advertisement

€85 for a denim jacket. That's dearer than Topshop! Would ya be well

Not in winter, no. You'd be cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Emmser

And I don't like them and I'd consider myself fashion conscious. Surely there's no replacement for a really fitted, super soft, collared denim jacket. One that'll last you for years and years. I own one denim jacket, I bought it fifteen years ago. It's a Miss Sixty one! 😂 But I promise ye, it still looks incredible. That biker collar is just a fleeting fashion trend, in fact I wouldn't even call it a trend. The denim looks stiff. Anyone try them yet? Enlighten us, maybe I'm wrong and it's not coming up great on Snapchat.

Edit: Just saw some of the jackets have collars. Phew! My miss sixty is still in fashion!! :)

How is Pippa wearing those denim jackets in this weather? It's absolutely freeezhhhhiin the last few days.
    Spare a thought for the bikini and lingerie models.

And I don't like them and I'd consider myself fashion conscious. Surely there's no replacement for a really fitted, super soft, collared denim jacket. One that'll last you for years and years. I own one denim jacket, I bought it fifteen years ago. It's a Miss Sixty one! 😂 But I promise ye, it still looks incredible. That biker collar is just a fleeting fashion trend, in fact I wouldn't even call it a trend. The denim looks stiff. Anyone try them yet? Enlighten us, maybe I'm wrong and it's not coming up great on Snapchat.

Edit: Just saw some of the jackets have collars. Phew! My miss sixty is still in fashion!! :)

Yea, like in a way you'd nearly justify the €90 for the jeans if you like them. Some people find it incredibly hard to get good jeans to suit them and they're a really subjective item of clothing to get right. But a denim jacket is just a denim jacket. I could get one in Penneys that does the same job. Go away with yourself charging that!

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

I've noticed that she doesn't promote her Pippa palette anymore. Probably not as interested in sharing the profits with Blank Canvas now that she has her Pippa Collection items.

It wasn't so long ago that she was leading people to believe that the palette was the best thing since sliced bread, now it's all Tom Ford!

Plus I think there is an element of trying to distance herself from the "lesser" bloggers with similar products.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

But a denim jacket is just a denim jacket. I could get one in Penneys that does the same job. Go away with yourself charging that!
    Oh god are denim jackets back in fashion?! Thought they went out of fashion 15 years ago?! They used to be handy to throw on for a night out or as a teenager with a hoody underneath. And often worn with the collar up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 mrsgiller

I have a denim jacket I bought when I was 15 (36 years ago) with my first weeks wages from a summer job, the brand was called rich, still perfect and my 18 year old daughter wears it now. Nothing nicer than a nice denim jacket

Advertisement