Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Subforum / Pen & Paper RPG Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Thanks Fourier :)

Ok, discussion for the group; do I take the dog or the lock?

Dog would be a strong fighter for the group....but I'm the type who cant help but wonder why I've got the chance to grab a special lock that might be necessary down the road, and dont want a situation in a few days where we're left thinking "Why the hell did Alexander not grab the god damn super lock?" :P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

My opinion would be lock. However we could perhaps get both from a pooled fund?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

The way I would see it, the more we discuss this the more you'll regret your decision either way. If I were a DM, as soon as you passed up the Super lock I'd start manufacturing situations where a super lock was the ideal thing to own. You pass up the dog, I'd build a room full of cats. You take both, I'd try to find a way to make you lock up the dog and then reveal that you didn't get a key with the lock. But if you buy the lock I'd rub out every door, chain or gate on the map!

I guess that says more about me than the game :)

I think with my current shopping list I have 5gp left if that helps. But spend it fast, my character is a covetous wastrel and saeros appears to be an insatiable bookmaker...

Edit : if you buy the lock should we buy a chain?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Ok lads trying to post with a 5 year old pestering you for a go on the laptop is impossible. Assume that Elin has spent 40GP and that the rest is fair game for whoever else in the group wants it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I have 37 GP left but most of that will be going on my armour. With Molly's 10, my 7 that'll cover the lock and perhaps chain. (Need to check how much chain is)

• Advertisement

At the moment, I NEED...

Spell Book 15gp
    Quaterstaff 2gp
    Waterskin 1gp
    Preserved foodx10 5gp
    Backpack 2gp

Thats 25gp

Now, do I need Ink (8gp) and a quill (1sp) to write spells into the spell book? Thats 33gp 1sp, leaving me enough to grab the lock as well, which takes me to 48gp 1sp spent. Which means it would be less "lets pool our coins", and more "Hey everyone, buy me a dog please" :o

Maybe it's over complicating things, for now, to take the dog anyway. I appreciate the offers of pooling coins, but given we've got a fair sized party, and if ye protect me (:P), maybe we can keep the coins for other stuff? I can always hide at the back of the party, and cast sleep on anyone who comes near me...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Now, do I need Ink (8gp) and a quill (1sp) to write spells into the spell book?
    Yep, as does Saeros/Old Goat.

Fourier wrote: »
    Yep, as does Saeros/Old Goat.

Can they scrawl a map in the margins or do we need separate gear (ink, quill, parchment , case) for that too?

Lord TSC wrote:
    Maybe it's over complicating things, for now, to take the dog anyway. I appreciate the offers of pooling coins, but given we've got a fair sized party, and if ye protect me ( ), maybe we can keep the coins for other stuff? I can always hide at the back of the party, and cast sleep on anyone who comes near me...

Probably have to factor in food for dog as well so overall could be over 30 GP. I was looking at buying a lock tbh but with armour purchase I had to leave it out of budget.

We'll need torches or lanterns for our fighters in the dungeons from my reading of the rules as well or they might incur a penalty on attack for fighting in the dark.

Banjo wrote:
    Can they scrawl a map in the margins or do we need separate gear (ink, quill, parchment , case) for that too?

I think from my understanding is we assign a character to map the dungeon and they'll have to pay attention to all the description from our DM. Don't think there's a cost incurred on that but could be wrong

• Advertisement

Kind of glad for the slower pace today actually. Have a busy weekend myself!

Only Lord TSC's character would know this stuff in-game, so it's only important for him, but just in case others want to know.

Material Plane: The plain old normal universe, where your characters are from.

Transitive Planes:
    These are planes which are used for going from one place to another.

Etheral Plane:
    A twin to the Material Plane, basically the same place but everything looks blurred and muted. Also a fog fills the realm. The walls of buildings in the material realm are not solid here and there is no gravity. Home of Ghosts. Also contains the entrances to little pocket realities high-level Magic-Users can make called "Demiplanes".

Shadow Plane:
    Another twin plane to the material realm. Similar with colour bleached out and geographic features and buildings are warped into "horror movie" versions of themselves. Distances between places in the Shadow are not always the same as their Material counterparts.
    Inspiration for the "Upside Down" in Stranger Things.

Astral Plane:
    You pass through this plane on your way to more distant planes than the Etheral and Shadow planes. Looks like an empty silver void. Some solid matter from things travellers have left behind.

Inner Planes:
    I won't go into these in detail, but they are "further" from the material plane than the Transitive planes and you have to go through the Astral to reach them. They are realms each made purely of one type of elemental magical energy. They are:
    Realm of Fire
    Realm of Air
    Realm of Earth
    Realm of Water
    Realm of Positive Energy (also called Realm of Life)
    Realm of Negative Energy (also called Realm of Death)

Outer Planes:
    Home of the Gods, Demons, Devils and the different Afterlives. Further away than the Inner Planes. There are too many to list. The only thing I'll mention is that Demons and Devils are not exactly the same.

Demons are basically destroyers and just monsters, from a violent, primal and chaotic realm.
    Devils have a society, like to manipulate mortals and are evil, rather than being just violent monsters. Their realm is like Hell.

One special realm, the Outlands, has a portal to each of the other Outer Planes, making it the "central" Outer Plane. It's capital city Sigil is the focus of the PC game Planescape Torment.

Far Realm:
    Even further away. Contains Lovecraftian entities that are completely alien, some more powerful than the gods.

I need to read the rules but the cursed armour I bought gives me Blink nearer higher divinity areas..

Anyone care to explain that to me before I get out the rules :pac:

You'll teleport randomly when near a statue or idol to one of the higher gods.
    Random in the sense of I roll for how far and in what direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

so, you'll most likely be safe, we can find you again. do cursed object stay cursed after they have been activated?

sKeith wrote:
    so, you'll most likely be safe, we can find you again. do cursed object stay cursed after they have been activated?

I had to buy it as per my character sheet :pac: I'm a spendthrift! Also more gold if anyone is stuck for something they really need.

By my calculations I have 22GP left to spend.

In general yes. There are usually conditions to removing the curse, unfortunately the guy who cast this one is dead. A sufficiently good magic user will know methods of removing it.

By the way Fourier, I am loving my own little mini adventures within the game so far. If you want me to reign in the curiosity and scenarios I can though if it's giving you a headache :)

Necrominus wrote: »
    By the way Fourier, I am loving my own little mini adventures within the game so far. If you want me to reign in the curiosity and scenarios I can though if it's giving you a headache :)
    Not at all. The party will most likely split up in dungeons and at villages, so it's to be expected and it gets more story out there for us to take advantage of and plot-threads to come back to.

Fourier wrote:
    Not at all. The party will most likely split up in dungeons and at villages, so it's to be expected and it gets more story out there for us to take advantage of and plot-threads to come back to.

Yeah I was thinking that surely. It's kinda what I was aiming for with the enquiries re: quests. Looking forward to seeing the next scene when everyone gets going and equipped!

• Advertisement

Looking forward? We're all going to starve to death before we're halfway there! Unless we get all Argentinian Rugby Team along the way.
    Tell what, I'll go halfsies on the magic user with you if you let me eat the elf.

Banjo wrote:
    Looking forward? We're all going to starve to death before we're halfway there! Unless we get all Argentinian Rugby Team along the way. Tell what, I'll go halfsies on the magic user with you if you let me eat the elf.

We'll be fine. A days travel to the next town which may slightly delay us... Or at least some of us.
    I jest... Probably :)

Hey Fourier, is Feather Fall a level one skill? Can't see it in the guide book :)

It's in the D&D 5e guide, 1st level transmutation.

I know I shouldn't be reading it, but when Fourier recommended we get to know our class's special skills I was really disappointed to find that all I get is, at level 1, the ability to bust heads (well, there's an extra attack at level 15, after I've become a great leader of men and built a stronghold). So I cast my net a little further, if only because depending on how the game goes sKeith and I might convince our Labyrinth Lord to throw a perk or two our way as the rest of the group starts to outstrip us in power... (archetypes, second wind, that sort of thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Banjo wrote: »
    Tell what, I'll go halfsies on the magic user with you if you let me eat the elf.
    /Unzips

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Banjo wrote:
    I know I shouldn't be reading it, but when Fourier recommended we get to know our class's special skills I was really disappointed to find that all I get is, at level 1, the ability to bust heads (well, there's an extra attack at level 15, after I've become a great leader of men and built a stronghold). So I cast my net a little further, if only because depending on how the game goes sKeith and I might convince our Labyrinth Lord to throw a perk or two our way as the rest of the group starts to outstrip us in power... (archetypes, second wind, that sort of thing)

Ahem.

Dwarf here. I'm in the same boat. I'm not expecting Bandylegs to survive the first quest to be honest so I'll worry about any extra abilities if I get that far!

Sounds like we need to start a union! We should refuse to leave the city, kidnap a dragon-baby from a train (Heist!) and use it to start a coffee shop.

In fairness though you get Infravision, a bunch of languages and Trap Detection, plus a saving throw vs magic bonus. It's not much, but it's something.

Banjo wrote: »
    Sounds like we need to start a union! We should refuse to leave the city, kidnap a dragon-baby from a train (Heist!) and use it to start a coffee shop.

In fairness though you get Infravision, a bunch of languages and Trap Detection, plus a saving throw vs magic bonus. It's not much, but it's something.

True. My infravision will be handy for fighting in the dungeons. You guys will have to use torches or lanterns or your attacks will get penalties... I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Necrominus wrote: »
    True. My infravision will be handy for fighting in the dungeons. You guys will have to use torches or lanterns or your attacks will get penalties... I think.
    One torch or lamp lit in the group should cast enough light for whole group to see well, but if that light should be expelled, by either expiration or by gust of winds etc, then the night vision thing will be handy to get us lit up again. maybe the dwarf should hold the fire making kit.

• Advertisement

sKeith wrote: »
    One torch or lamp lit in the group should cast enough light for whole group to see well, but if that light should be expelled, by either expiration or by gust of winds etc, then the night vision thing will be handy to get us lit up again. maybe the dwarf should hold the fire making kit.

I think elves have infravision too. Might be no harm to position one of us (me probably) at the front or rear of group to keep watch. The advised positioning is:

Fighters at front

Thief, elf, halfings and spell casters in the middle

Dwarf and cleric to the rear. Obviously we can change as we see fit.

Advertisement