Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Subforum / Pen & Paper RPG Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ok, so I have 20GP left. Is there anything else I need to get I wonder? I was looking at a scimitar, mainly cos they're freaking awesome but for 15GP it doesn't deal a whole pile more damage than my hand axe (1d8 as opposed to 1d6)

Being honest I'd love to spunk the full 20 on a ba5tard sword but again, seems like throwing money down the drain. Hmmm.... I think I'll buy a shield which brings my armor class down to 6 in total. That'll leave 10GP for the shared kitty

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Can you hold a bastard sword? It's a nearly-two-hander. At best you'll only get 1d8 out of it for double the price of a long sword. But the idea of you carrying a sword that's twice the size of you is worth 10GP extra :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Banjo wrote: »
    Can you hold a bastard sword? It's a nearly-two-hander. At best you'll only get 1d8 out of it for double the price of a long sword. But the idea of you carrying a sword that's twice the size of you is worth 10GP extra :D

As per the rules bastard swords can be held one or two handed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Hey Fourier, is Feather Fall a level one skill? Can't see it in the guide book :)
    Sorry for this, I literally forgot to explain!

Everybody, occasionally I will be tossing out stuff from the advanced companion guide here:
    Advanced Companion Guide

This guide contains stuff from AD&D, which throughout the 80s people used to augment Basic D&D.

Feather Fall is on p.62

I will also occasionally throw in stuff from the vast quantity of supplements I have. So I'll say AEC if it is from the Advanced Companion Guide and Other if it is from anything else.

I know I shouldn't be reading it, but when Fourier recommended we get to know our class's special skills I was really disappointed to find that all I get is, at level 1, the ability to bust heads (well, there's an extra attack at level 15, after I've become a great leader of men and built a stronghold). So I cast my net a little further, if only because depending on how the game goes sKeith and I might convince our Labyrinth Lord to throw a perk or two our way as the rest of the group starts to outstrip us in power... (archetypes, second wind, that sort of thing)
    I will be, I'll throw in stuff from AD&D mostly, as well as some supplements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Fourier wrote: »
    I will be, I'll throw in stuff from AD&D mostly, as well as some supplements.
    Supplements will keep you flexible.
    /Ancient Elven healthcare axiom.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Did anyone use the 10GP I had left over? I've used another 5GP this morning buying a wineskin and a few more provisions. That leaves 5GP over. Do I need anything else?

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Did anyone use the 10GP I had left over? I've used another 5GP this morning buying a wineskin and a few more provisions. That leaves 5GP over. Do I need anything else?

Nope, I also have 10GP left over

Ah feck it sure if no one needs it I'll hang on to it for now. Might come in handy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Probably no bad thing to keep some gold in case we need to bribe anyone :P

Oh, I love that I got rewarded for asking bout the blue stone. I nearly forgot about it and only asked on a whim this morning :D

• Advertisement

I was thinking how the hell you remembered about the stone! I didn't notice at all.

Guys just read through again, does anybody have a dangling plot at the moment or are we free to move on? No rush, I just want to make sure I'm not missing something. Meeting with Cleric Askit should be brief enough and then off one our first wilderness walk and dungeon.

Two things:
    1. As I said D&D is going to be lethal. Your character has a good chance of dying in even a normal dungeon. There is the possibility of using something like a regeneration. This is basically where, for some reason to be developed in the story, your character reincarnates after death at level 1, in the nip outside the dungeon, with all their old gear left at wherever they previously died.
    With something like this you get all the mechanical consequences of death (back to level 1, all your stuff lost) but you keep the same person if you want to keep portraying that character.
    Is this something ye'd like, or just flat out new people completely (the default option)?

2. There is a choice where we're going between Crayton and Thurmunton. Would ye like a rough sketch of why you'd pick one over the other since this will be the first adventure. No spoilers or anything just relative danger, rough amount of treasure, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

STR: 10
    DEX: 12
    CON: 9
    INT: 13
    WIS: 9
    CHA: 13

New stats rolling with default 3d6

qft

Everybody partyjungle has left, just wasn't for him. So Tigger is taking over his character.
    Tigger wrote: »
    qft
    You'll just need your hit points and alignment, partyjungle never gave those.

Everybody partyjungle has left, just wasn't for him. So Tigger is taking over his character.

You'll just need your hit points and alignment, partyjungle never gave those.

reroled
    doni tell

Guys just read through again, does anybody have a dangling plot at the moment or are we free to move on? No rush, I just want to make sure I'm not missing something. Meeting with Cleric Askit should be brief enough and then off one our first wilderness walk and dungeon.

Two things:
    1. As I said D&D is going to be lethal. Your character has a good chance of dying in even a normal dungeon. There is the possibility of using something like a regeneration. This is basically where, for some reason to be developed in the story, your character reincarnates after death at level 1, in the nip outside the dungeon, with all their old gear left at wherever they previously died.
    With something like this you get all the mechanical consequences of death (back to level 1, all your stuff lost) but you keep the same person if you want to keep portraying that character.
    Is this something ye'd like, or just flat out new people completely (the default option)?

2. There is a choice where we're going between Crayton and Thurmunton. Would ye like a rough sketch of why you'd pick one over the other since this will be the first adventure. No spoilers or anything just relative danger, rough amount of treasure, etc?

I'm happy with re-rolling a new character and just picking up Elin's stuff where she died.

Would also be happy with a pros and cons list for both places.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I'm happy with re-rolling a new character and just picking up Elin's stuff where she died.

Would also be happy with a pros and cons list for both places.

what if i pick itbupnfirst ?

Fourier wrote:
    Two things: 1. As I said D&D is going to be lethal. Your character has a good chance of dying in even a normal dungeon. There is the possibility of using something like a regeneration. This is basically where, for some reason to be developed in the story, your character reincarnates after death at level 1, in the nip outside the dungeon, with all their old gear left at wherever they previously died. With something like this you get all the mechanical consequences of death (back to level 1, all your stuff lost) but you keep the same person if you want to keep portraying that character. Is this something ye'd like, or just flat out new people completely (the default option)?

Personally I'd prefer to hang onto Bandylegs as long as I can so I like the first option.

Welcome Tigger!! A trial run of team work before the hydra competition :)

And yes, Fourier. Let's move onto cleric Askit. Tigger just needs to gear up I think

Fourier wrote:

Haha I may have brought this about. Sorry :o

I don't mind either way.

• Advertisement

Necrominus wrote: »
    And yes, Fourier. Let's move onto cleric Askit. Tigger just needs to gear up I think

goodenuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Can you explain foraging in the wilderness. is this an involuntary act or do we need to request this be done. is it a 1 in 6 chance of gathering food (need to roll a 1) or a 1d6 days amount of food.

sKeith wrote: »
    Can you explain foraging in the wilderness. is this an involuntary act or do we need to request this be done. is it a 1 in 6 chance of gathering food (need to roll a 1) or a 1d6 days amount of food.

there would be a x chance of finding food dependingvonbwhere we are

you need to role a modified x to succeed in finding x (rolled) anountvif food

is this the OOC thread ?
    assuming it is
    if wee keep foraginv the gm will give us poisiong toadstools on a trip 1 roll or such like

yes, this is the OOC thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

...is it too late for Alexander or Saeros to ask in TrEasons about a book on local Flora or specifically fungi? Or is that a player knowledge / character knowledge bleed? And would it turn out to be a man-eating tuber instead?

it works with iphone.

...is it too late for Alexander or Saeros to ask in TrEasons about a book on local Flora or specifically fungi? Or is that a player knowledge / character knowledge bleed? And would it turn out to be a man-eating tuber instead?
    I think that's within reason, you will be venturing out into the wilderness, however typically elves know it anyway, so Saeros's in built knowledge will probably suffice.

• Advertisement

sKeith wrote: »
    1 in 6 to gather and then the amount gathered is enough for 1d6 people.

In a forest it's 3 in 6 to gather.

There are people you can hire who are better at it, but they have a hefty enough salary.

Advertisement