Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Subforum / Pen & Paper RPG Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I must say, I'm getting very excited about getting out into the wilderness!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i prefer to dnd without the book
    i just try to do what i thinkni should

Tigger wrote: »
    i just try to do what i thinkni should
    51c7cd607b1c64e62f8c8cbe41766344--character-art-character-ideas.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Do you mean you play without the rules or something similar, or rules light?

I started playing RPGs when I was quite young and used to go without rules early on. Pretty much because I didn't understand them at a young age.

Fourier wrote: »
    Do you mean you play without the rules or something similar, or rules light?

I started playing RPGs when I was quite young and used to go without rules early on.

yeah i like the gm to have the rules and play by tge rules
    but its noce to not always be pondering over the rules looking for the play

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I dunno if what I'm doing so far is in the rules. I did read them to get a feel for the game but I'm flying by the seat of my pants in the game threads:pac::pac:

Ah yes I see what you mean.

Basic D&D, which we're playing, has very little rules, so it's not too big a concern here. Most of the book is devoted to spell details, equipment and monsters, i.e. "facts about the world".

Just so everybody knows, a test/check of one of your main six stats/attributes is basically just that you roll a d20 and if it is under your value for that stat, you pass.

If I say something like:
    Intelligence test, -4

It's the same thing, roll a d20, but you subtract 4 from your roll before seeing if it is under your Intelligence value, i.e. it's easier than normal.

i fel a roll for init aproaching

Tigger wrote:
    i fel a roll for init aproaching

A fight you say?

Can't see us lasting long against Mr floaty mcroberson. Hence only minor aggression in my post

• Advertisement

Necrominus wrote: »
    A fight you say?

Can't see us lasting long against Mr floaty mcroberson. Hence only minor aggression in my post

well im trying to hide
    you would to if you were 3'3"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

well im trying to hide
    you would to if you were 3'3"

haha, does bandylegs the dwarf tower 5 inches over you, lol.

sKeith wrote: »
    haha, does bandylegs the dwarf tower 5 inches over you, lol.

its all proportinate

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I was thinking how the hell you remembered about the stone! I didn't notice at all.

Note taking. I'm writing down every possible plot point as it happens :P

Lord TSC wrote: »

Me too. I have anything remotely mentioned to my character written down on my word document. Good luck with the demon folks :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Me too. I have anything remotely mentioned to my character written down on my word document. Good luck with the demon folks :p

Ok I'm too used to playing IRL so I never bother with notes. I just wing it. :cool:

Ok I'm too used to playing IRL so I never bother with notes. I just wing it. :cool:

When you play IRL would it be generally an adventure per session or would it be spread out over a number of meets?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

On player deaths I'm happy to cast up a new character. Creating characters is for me anyway fun. Kill me off if necessary and I'll be back as a naked, scared and lvl 1 noob.

As to the choice of destination I'll have to be persuaded in-game, in character. Risk/reward is my driving force.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

(OOC: INT test returned a 0, so thats a pass.
    WIS test returned an 18, so thats a fail.)

The dice have decided I am Intelligent but not very wise :P

OldGoat wrote: »
    On player deaths I'm happy to cast up a new character. Creating characters is for me anyway fun. Kill me off if necessary and I'll be back as a naked, scared and lvl 1 noob.

As to the choice of destination I'll have to be persuaded in-game, in character. Risk/reward is my driving force.

I'll have to leave the other characters to convince you. Bandylegs isn't too fond of elves :pac::pac:

Or magic users in general.

Or... anyone that doesn't drink a lot.

• Advertisement

When you play IRL would it be generally an adventure per session or would it be spread out over a number of meets?

We kinda potter along. There's usually one big encounter per session but it's all part of a larger quest that I think we've been playing since last year sometime. Our GM has a love/hate relationship with us coz we are the WORST adventuring company ever. We constantly fight amongst ourselves, we never stick together, and we ruin all his plans all the time. He says we're making him a better GM because he has to invent so much on the fly. :o

It's difficult to get 10 people together at a time that suits everyone though which is why it's taking us so long to get through the quest. And it's why I'm liking this so much coz you can pop in and out when you have a chance.

We kinda potter along. There's usually one big encounter per session but it's all part of a larger quest that I think we've been playing since last year sometime. Our GM has a love/hate relationship with us coz we are the WORST adventuring company ever. We constantly fight amongst ourselves, we never stick together, and we ruin all his plans all the time. He says we're making him a better GM because he has to invent so much on the fly. :o

It's difficult to get 10 people together at a time that suits everyone though which is why it's taking us so long to get through the quest. And it's why I'm liking this so much coz you can pop in and out when you have a chance.

Haha, sure I'm probably giving poor Fourier migraines with my little side adventures, and we haven't even left the town yet!

Agreed it's great you can pop in and out and a brief read back has you up to speed.

Haha, sure I'm probably giving poor Fourier migraines with my little side adventures, and we haven't even left the town yet!

Agreed it's great you can pop in and out and a brief read back has you up to speed.

Exactly, or if you miss something like the blue stone thing you can just read back and go 'oh yeah, there's where it was mentioned'.

We always have about a 20 minute discussion at the start of every session where we're like 'right what were we doing again? who is where and where are we all going?' It's easier for me coz my character is a wandering cleric who refuses to visit any town he's already been in. Another pain in the neck for the GM. (all our characters had to have fatal flaws - one is an ent-type creature with a smoking habit and another is a bird with irritable bowel syndrome)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I'll have to leave the other characters to convince you. Bandylegs isn't too fond of elves :pac::pac:

Or magic users in general.

Or... anyone that doesn't drink a lot.
    Saeros likes his drink, just prefers quality over quantity. And hey, I got you free food and drink in the tavern! I'm an endearing elf.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

5e isn't dungeon focussed like this is, we have had 2-3 sessions in a row with no/very little combat. Most of our stuff runs across multiple sessions, the main storyline is about 50% complete after 8 sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Con is 15, I rolled a 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

You're going to barf! You're going to barf!

Happy Birthday Necro! :)

Happy Birthday Necro! :)

:o:o:o

Thanks Strawbs :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Con is 15, I rolled a 20.
    Please see my comment on rolz. you are not rolling correctly.

Advertisement