Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Subforum / Pen & Paper RPG Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yey!!! Looking forward to this starting. I'll be even merrier when I get an axe :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

cool, elin was so looking forward to the shopping. she's so good at picking out the five finger discount bargains, im sure she could lift an axe or two for you bandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

This post concerns something that makes Basic D&D different from later versions. Of all my sermons, I'd listen to this one.
    Can one person have multiple backpacks?
    Are we using Encumbrance, and if so is there a modifier based on my magnificent manly strength?
    (And can you take your backpack off when you see an angry Owlbear bearing down on you?
    The entire XP system of Basic D&D is built around how much treasure you pull out of a dungeon.

Hence removing your armour or dropping tourches etc so you can carry more treasure, but increasing your personal risk of death is a major part of the game.

So we will certainly use encumbrance. See p.44 for detail. I will definitely be using the armour modification rules given under the asterisks.

Also multiple backpacks is no problem. Just note, they don't increase the encumbrance you can handle. They're just needed "logcially" for some items.

As I mentioned Labyrinth Lord, what we are playing, is a clone of Basic D&D. There is another such clone, Lamentations of the Flame Princess.
    Where Labyrinth Lord is a straight clone, with very very minor changes for balance, Lamentations of the Flame Princess makes some changes in an attempt to improve the game, including simplifying and balancing the encumbrance. It's pretty much agreed it has the best encumbrance system.

Although we are using Labyrinth Lord, we'll use Lamentations of the Flame Princess's encumbrance. I'll be listing this encumbrance system in the character thread, so everybody can see it. You won't need to care about the actual weight of things and it's really simple, much simpler than Labyrinth Lord's one.

This is so you all don't have to keep adding and subtracting pounds to calculate the weight of things.

How much detail do you need in the character sheets? There's loads I didn't paste. I have a copy of it though
    See the new thread. I'd still keep the info though, for playing your character.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Oohhh so excited to get started!!! Got my pencil and character sheet at the ready. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Banjo wrote: »
    We are wall to wall with lust...
    [Saeros - to self] These humans and their insatiable lusts are going to get me killed. This must be why my friends recommend that I bring 'protection'.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

That's what I was thinking, what ranged stuff have we, the elf has a bow I assume, is everyone else melee or magic?
    Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Not sure if there's any point in you spending money on ranged weapons when we have an elf and a magic user to bring up the rear and protect us with ranged attacks.

Errr, I'm a petty old elf, and a bit doddery. My DEX is 8 and I'm guessing that makes using ranged a bit bad. However, I do have a long pointy stick for jabbing things that can, with a bit of luck, be chucked at nearby monsters.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mollyb60 wrote:
    Oohhh so excited to get started!!! Got my pencil and character sheet at the ready.

Molly, reading the official rules thingamajig it seems thieves start with 2 HP as opposed to your measly 1. Not much but just had a long read of the rules last night. Fighters begin with 4 before any Constitution mods. Or am I reading it wrong :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

The rulebook (pg 11) says that Thief gets 1d4 of hit dice and that you get an additional hit die for each level up to 9. I took it that you roll a 1d4 and that's your hit points, 'cause the "to hit a monster" roll is a 1d20.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 The Soup King

I was going to go for a bow but if the party isn't in need of ranged stuff what should I get... Maybe a set of dangers for sneaking up and stabbing baddies in the back I think my dex is descent and as a halfling I can hide

• Advertisement

Necrominus wrote: »
    Molly, reading the official rules thingamajig it seems thieves start with 2 HP as opposed to your measly 1. Not much but just had a long read of the rules last night. Fighters begin with 4 before any Constitution mods. Or am I reading it wrong :pac:

Have you a page ref for that? I read it the same as Banjo did. But I'd be delighted with 2 HP. How sad. :rolleyes:
    The rulebook (pg 11) says that Thief gets 1d4 of hit dice and that you get an additional hit die for each level up to 9. I took it that you roll a 1d4 and that's your hit points, 'cause the "to hit a monster" roll is a 1d20.

Mollyb60 wrote:
    Have you a page ref for that? I read it the same as Banjo did. But I'd be delighted with 2 HP. How sad.

I'll check it when I get to work. Probably read it wrong... :(

Yep, I got it totally wrong. Sorry Molly :(

Looking at the equipment and my character it appears my plans for a big fcuk-off battle axe have been scuppered due to the fact that I'm too much of a runt to hold 2-handed weapons. Balls!

Hand axe and a mace it is so!

What make bandy too much of a runt to handle a battle axe? A battle axe is only 6lbs. A hand axe and a mace together also weigh 6lbs.

ah, never mind.. found it.
    Due to their short height, dwarves cannot use two-handed weapons or longbows. However, they can use any other weapon or armor.

Again, questions. Sorry, I can't help but wonder about these things. This won't get any better as we go on, so if you feel compelled to murder my Meatbag in the middle of the night I'll understand.

OK, so are we going to wander around as a pack, or do we need to vary our Encumbrance so that we have a main group and scouts or something like that? Do we need to keep the thief's pack light so she can surprise our foes by bursting out of their chests from behind?
    Are we allowed to carry gear for other people, eg if the strongest among us or the least-in-need-of-mobility act as pack animals for the loot, will that negatively impact the experience the others get? (I guess in a way I'm asking - is XP from gold calculated once you get the gold out of the dungeon, or at point of receipt?)

The encumbrance doesn't talk about a Strength modifier of any kind, so at 6'3" I have the same restrictions as the halflings. is that right? Seems like a more fun way to play than everyone having to micromanage.

The encumbrance talks about different types of items - does that mean that for this game 1 long sword and 1 dagger weigh more than 2 long swords, so if I'm not dual wielding I'm better off to carry a backup sword than have a dagger in my boot?
    Do I have to buy boots if I want to be wearing a boot?

Speaking of equipment, does buying the equipment happen as an in-character action - i.e. the first part of the adventure is heading to Donnie the Discount Elf's Weaponoporium - or do we need to submit that now? As a team, we're not going to *all* need a grappling hook, rope, crowbar etc. But we probably need to have a range of things between us. Can we discuss that as Norms or do we need to do that in-character?
    (and if the former, are we allowed to pool our money? I need 28GP to buy a Sword, Shield, leather armour and a backpack. That's 22GP in the kitty for torches, food, ropes, crowbars, mining equipment, ink and parchment, flint and steel etc).

Alternatively, screw you guys, I'm buying the studded leather armour, a sword and a shield, and the first time I get hungry I'm eating whichever one of you is slowing me down the most.

Any seasoned dungeoneers got any advice, other than "Banjo, breathe into a paper bag"?

I'm worried I'm going to have a VERY hard time playing an easy-going wastrel...

Stilts! If you wear stilts you could swing a two handed axe. Dwarf/kilts/stilts - it's a natural progression.

Well my shopping list is quite small I think:
    Leather Armour - 6GP
    Dagger - 3GP
    Backpack - 2GP
    Flint & steel - 2GP
    Thieves tools - 30-GP
    Waterskin - 1GP
    5 Days worth of Rations - 10SP

Total spend: 44GP 10SP

Might get a grappling hook too. But Banjo I think you're right. We can pool all our resources I think so you might as well have the rest of my money.
    I'd rather my meatbags were well protected so they can protect me better.

Stick a couple of empty large sacks down the bottom of your knapsack. That way you always have the capacity to carry the max capacity of loot if needs be.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm trying to figure out how guard dogs work, cause I read elsewhere that they are good options for someone as pathetic in combat as myself. But I can't see if it acts as a separate character with separate attacks, or whether we share actions, stats, etc.

After that though, I have a dagger and a spell book. And food, I guess.

Bandylegs McGillicuddy's shopping list:

backpack - 2GP
    axe, hand - 1GP
    hammer, light - 1GP
    Studded Leather armour - 30GP
    rations, preserved x6 - 30SP (3GP - make it easy on our dungeon master :P)
    Iron spikes (12) - 1GP
    Wineskin x 2 - 2GP
    and Wine x 2 - 2GP
    Total - 42GP

8 left over after my spree.

• Advertisement

My first attempt at a shopping list.

Long sword 10 GP
    Shield 10 GP
    5 x Javelin 5 GP
    Padded armour 4 GP
    4 days of preserved rations 2 GP
    Backpack 2 GP
    Rope 1 GP
    waterskins 1 GP
    2 x large sacks 4 SP

money left over. 14 GP 6 SP left.

Total weight 55lbs

Encumbrance. +1
    9 different items.

In order to reduce encumbrance, one person could hold all the large sacks until they are needed and all the ropes.
    As i'm still in 0-1 Encumbrance, I can hold others large sacks or ropes with no penalty to me, and it'll reduce yours by 2 different items.

Okey Dokey. So far I have :

Backpack - 2GP
    Sack, Large x 2 - 0.4

Long Sword - 10 GP
    Shield - 10 GP
    Padded Armour - 4GP

Crowbar - 2GP
    Rope, hemp - 1GP
    Torches x 24 - 0.9GP

Waterskin - 1gp
    Preserved Rations x 5 - 2.5gp

33.8 GP spent.
    16.2 GP left.

If anyone can spot me 10 GP, I'll boost that to Studded Leather armour and will promise to stick my studded chest between you and an orc.

However, would we be better off putting that money towards a short bow for Elin or Arry? We're a bit light on ranged options.

would we be better off putting that money towards a short bow for Elin or Arry? We're a bit light on ranged options.

Range weapons is the reason I picked up 5 x javelins.
    While the enemy is outside the long sword range, we could be hurling javelins at them. as long as we pick them up afterwards, 5 should be plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 The Soup King

Here is my list for Arry:

Sling+ 10 bullets- 2 gp
    Studded leather-30 gp
    Dagger- 3 gp
    Backpack -2 gp 2
    Rations x6- 3gp
    Sack, large x2- 4 sp
    Flask - 3 cp
    Flint and steel- 2 gp
    Rope, hemp - 1 gp
    Dartsx8-4 gp

So left over I have 6GP and a fair bit of sp/cp.

Is it fair to assume that things like my darts and dagger come with a way to carry them on my person such as a belt or pouch?

I get that sp and cp mean silver piece and copper piece but what is EP and PP? They are listed under gold and treasure on my generated character sheet

Sorry for what may be very silly questions

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I get that sp and cp mean silver piece and copper piece but what is EP and PP? They are listed under gold and treasure on my generated character sheet

E is Electrum, P is Platinum. Electrum is an old currency not in circulation in 5e and Platinum is just rare, might be different in 1e. I would think most of our money will be Gold, Silver and Copper though

If GP is a euro Electrum is like a 50cent piece and Plantinum is like a tenner.

Pg. 14 of the rule book.

Where are you finding the prices for all these?

I'll answer Banjo's questions and start the game in the next two-four hours.

We'll do shopping in game, just to get to know the city. The city's name will actually be Soetrard and the first post will be a little intro to it, leading to the tavern where you guys start off, a bit of in character banter can establish who you are and if any of you know each other.

Where are you finding the prices for all these?

Rule book pages 15 and 16. I'll try and attach it here

• Advertisement

Here is my list for Arry:

Sling+ 10 bullets- 2 gp
    Studded leather-30 gp
    Dagger- 3 gp
    Backpack -2 gp 2
    Rations x6- 3gp
    Sack, large x2- 4 sp
    Flask - 3 cp
    Flint and steel- 2 gp
    Rope, hemp - 1 gp
    Dartsx8-4 gp

So left over I have 6GP and a fair bit of sp/cp.

Is it fair to assume that things like my darts and dagger come with a way to carry them on my person such as a belt or pouch?

total cost = 47GP 4 SP 3CP
    Change = 2 GP 5 SP 7 CP

Advertisement