Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Subforum / Pen & Paper RPG Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Grand so. Just had a little quiet panic while trying to remember how much an ox costs and realising Android doesn't have native Zip support. I'll get back in my box now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

I'm off to bed, you lads can of course keep going, I'll continue the bar scene until all have spoken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Banjo wrote: »
    Grand so. Just had a little quiet panic while trying to remember how much an ox costs and realising Android doesn't have native Zip support. I'll get back in my box now :)
    rules in pdf format. for you android users. Shout anytime you need an assist.

Ta.
    Logged on to Rolz. So is everything a roll? I mean, how do you know when to stop talking and let the LabLord tell you if it worked?

Eg. I was going to accidentally elbow someone then realised I was in danger of writing my guy doing something clumsy even though his Dex is high. But then, do I get to decide whether I successfully don't do something oafish? Is that up to the dice?

I had no idea how tiny my place in the universe was till this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Lol Banjo calm down. It'll be grand. You can basically do anything you like but most of the big stuff will be determined by a dice roll. If you elbowed someone in a bar the worst that could happen would be to start a brawl. Lol.
    You could Pm Fourier to check before you do something stupid if you want to make sure you wont kill yourself. But i think most GMs will tell you to take your chances.

Also Fourier are you conna do the rolling for us through that rolz site? I'll try log in in work but i have a feeling work will block it. If so I'll try it on the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭MrsFlushdraw

Ah geez, how did I miss this. Not played D&D in years.

Calm down? CALM DOWN?? Fallow seasons near over and I only have 50gp- I can't serve another 3 wanesuns! I willn't go back with nuthin!

Oh wait, wrong thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Retail Therapy

Leather (AC 8) 6
    Shield -1 10
    Spear (1d6) 3
    Short sword (1d6) 7

Backpack 2
    Sack lge .2
    Rations (5) 1
    Rope 1
    Wineskin 1
    Wine (4pts) 2

Total 33.2 GP
    Encumberance - 11 items = 2 movement(?)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Banjo I know you were worried about too many questions, please don't be, the questions often touch on fundamental issues of game design.
    Ta.
    Logged on to Rolz. So is everything a roll? I mean, how do you know when to stop talking and let the LabLord tell you if it worked?
    Short answer:
    You say what you do and there will only be a roll if I ask for it. So basically you don't need to worry about when to roll.

There is an ambiguity here of course, you might describe something like "I jump over the wall and land on the other side", which I might decide needs a roll. In that case I'll just say:
    OOC: That wall jump requires a roll against your DEX

People acting ahead of the rolls happens all the time, even in face to face games, so no need to worry.
    Eg. I was going to accidentally elbow someone then realised I was in danger of writing my guy doing something clumsy even though his Dex is high. But then, do I get to decide whether I successfully don't do something oafish? Is that up to the dice?
    I'd say you're doing things correctly, roleplaying your character in accordance with their stats. Again, you get to decide it, unless I say otherwise.

To "reveal" my thinking as GM, something like the above is consistent with the character, is of low consequence to the story and there isn't really major ambiguity about it occurring, so I wouldn't ask for a roll.

I asked sKeith for a CON roll because failing would have involved him vomiting onto the table and holding your liquor is more "random" in terms of success, i.e. story consequence and some randomness.

Obviously this is subjectively determined by me and some games try to avoid this by having "when to roll" more directly built into the rules. In my experience this slows down the game for no real benefit and requires the players to remember when to roll which I think is too much of a burden, but others may feel differently.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Also Fourier are you conna do the rolling for us through that rolz site? I'll try log in in work but i have a feeling work will block it. If so I'll try it on the phone.
    Anybody who would prefer me to roll for them or doesn't care about rolling themselves, just send me a PM. I'll just automatically post the fact that roll was required, the results and the consequences into the thread.

• Advertisement

oooh that has me torn. I don't believe in luck but dice just generally hate me. I roll **** all the time. So I like the idea of removing that from me and letting you roll on my behalf. But no, I prefer rolling myself. So I only have me to blame when I go up in flames. I'll just roll in the rolz place.

Four, don't encourage me :D

BTW, I notice if you leave the Rolz page open (at least on mobile) and re-open your browser you get a generic name. That's why Alric123 joined the room :D

OK, so are we going to wander around as a pack, or do we need to vary our Encumbrance so that we have a main group and scouts or something like that? Do we need to keep the thief's pack light so she can surprise our foes by bursting out of their chests from behind?
    Those are all valid strategies, it is up to you to decide. Having the thief carry very little is a common enough tactic.
    Are we allowed to carry gear for other people, eg if the strongest among us or the least-in-need-of-mobility act as pack animals for the loot, will that negatively impact the experience the others get? (I guess in a way I'm asking - is XP from gold calculated once you get the gold out of the dungeon, or at point of receipt?)
    Out of the dungeon.
    The encumbrance doesn't talk about a Strength modifier of any kind, so at 6'3" I have the same restrictions as the halflings. is that right? Seems like a more fun way to play than everyone having to micromanage.
    Yeah everybody can carry the same amount. Not realistic, but the micromanagement of actual pounds and ounces and real load bearing capacity gets very boring in my experience.
    The encumbrance talks about different types of items - does that mean that for this game 1 long sword and 1 dagger weigh more than 2 long swords, so if I'm not dual wielding I'm better off to carry a backup sword than have a dagger in my boot?
    Thanks for this, I've updated the encumbrance rules with the answers.
    Speaking of equipment, does buying the equipment happen as an in-character action - i.e. the first part of the adventure is heading to Donnie the Discount Elf's Weaponoporium - or do we need to submit that now?
    At Donnie's in-game
    But we probably need to have a range of things between us. Can we discuss that as Norms or do we need to do that in-character?
    Out of character here is fine. The decision can be reflected by a bit of in-character chat if you want.
    and if the former, are we allowed to pool our money?
    Absolutely, if another character agrees.

Dayum!
    Before we leave the tavern, Saeros *has* to hop on a table for a rousing chorus of "Dwarves! Ha! Good God, y'all, what are they good for? Absolutely nothing! Say it again!"
    It's on!

Edit : given Donnie the Discount Elf made it into the official narrative, perhaps I should be more careful with my words...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ha. Should be noted that is not an original Necro/Bandylegs composition. I spent some time at work researching dwarven bards :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Guffy

Always wanted to try d&d... pissed i mossed it but will join next one if it goes again

I'm not going to be online much for the next couple of weekends. A 4 day burlesque festival beckons :)
    Can we just assume that I'm lurking in the background and I'll catch up as quickly as I can on weekdays.

There seems to be plenty of interest. Who do we ask for a sub forum? Sully?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Was ironically looking for anyone interested in this in a different forum,

My interest was piqued by stranger things lol.

I'd love to jump into next one if space as well.

D&D Beers!

• Advertisement

BTW folks I will be visiting family over the weekend so apologies in advance if my posting is sporadic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

MOY SHOPPING LIST

Quarterstaff 2gp
    Sling 2gp
    Backpack 2gp
    Winter Blanket 5sp
    50ft Rope Hemp 1gp
    Waterskin 1gp
    Fresh Food x30 6gp
    Preserved Food x10 5gp

Total Spending 19.5gp
    Change 31gp 5sp

Carrying 7 items so encumberance of 1

Guys just wanted to say it's so far very easy to run this game for you, you're really injecting your own flavour and touches.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Fourier wrote:
    Guys just wanted to say it's so far very easy to run this game for you, you're really injecting your own flavour and touches.

Cheers dude, I hope listening to Bandylegs dribble on isn't too frustrating!

OldGoat wrote: »
    I'm not going to be online much for the next couple of weekends. A 4 day burlesque festival beckons :)
    Can we just assume that I'm lurking in the background and I'll catch up as quickly as I can on weekdays.
    Mollyb60 wrote: »
    BTW folks I will be visiting family over the weekend so apologies in advance if my posting is sporadic.
    No worries, I'll just assume your characters "go with the flow" and go with the group as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 The Soup King

Fourier wrote: »

Really enjoying it so far thanks for putting this together and makeing so much effort running the game

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

It's very different in the forum setting, but I'm enjoying it a lot, thanks for putting the effort in Fourier, hope this goes longterm.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Fourier, what's the deal with guard dogs? I've read online they are a handy thing for magic users to take, and are 25g in the rule book, but I can't find how they work. Are they counted as separate actions or do I share actions with them? I can't find stats for them either...

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Fourier, what's the deal with guard dogs? I've read online they are a handy thing for magic users to take, and are 25g in the rule book, but I can't find how they work. Are they counted as separate actions or do I share actions with them? I can't find stats for them either...
    Welcome to what D&D was like in the 80s.:D

Guard dogs are mentioned in Basic D&D, but only stated in AD&D.

Labyrinth lord, trying to be an accurate clone, also mentions them but does not stat them. It only stats them in its "Advanced Companion" which clones AD&D. The Advanced Companion is here:
    Advanced Companion

In the 80s very few people used the rules of AD&D, they just took monsters, retainers and equipment from it.

So a guard dog is on p.121 of the advanced companion (as War Dog)

They're basically an NPC that you can sick on people. In terms of abilities they're basically level 2 fighter, so they'd out fight the rest of the group currently. They function as a whole extra character you can command.

They are also very steady in fights, Morale 11. Sometimes, to see if an NPC flees in combat, I role Morale using 2d6. If it's higher than their Morale they break. Hence the War Dog will only break on a roll of a 12.

• Advertisement

I'm off to bed. I'll pick things up tomorrow, thanks!

Advertisement