Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

~ Pre-Clearance and PassportControl queries ~

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭johnire

Ok. Thanks for the reply. I thought that all right.
    Just one last question...if there’s a stopover in the U.S.itself with a plane change am I right to say then that preclearence in Ireland is applicable because the flight is directly from Ireland to the U.S. albeit not a direct flight to the final destination?
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes if you have preclearance in Ireland you will arrive in US as if it were an internal flight in US.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Once your flight goes direct from Ireland to the US, you can use preclearance (it is brilliant). Once you landed in the USA you are consider a Domestic passenger in the US (like an person who flew from Dallas to JFK for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Unless there is big saving to be made try and book and flight that goes Ireland to Miami via an American city (Boston, NYC, DC, Philly etc) not the UK.

Last thing you want is to arrive after a 8-10 hour flight and be faced with a 2 hour queue at immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Last thing you want is to arrive after a 8-10 hour flight and be faced with a 2 hour queue at immigration.

Or more. Once had three hours in LAX and then another hour queuing at customs after collecting the bags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭johnire

Yes folks-thanks for all that. I agree..... I’ll try and source a flight that goes directly to the U.S.and then onwards. I was looking at a flight that goes via Heathrow -the times are good-bit I really don’t think it we’ve worth the hassle.
    Thanks again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

hi have a 4 pm flight is 1pm safe to get to airport or should i aim an hour earlier ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Three hours should be fine but if you want to do a bit of shopping, have a coffee or a beer, give yourself another hour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,262 ✭✭✭Homer

Most of the US flights will have departed by that time so you should get through pre clearance reasonably quickly. Three hours would be plenty of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

depending on when (week/month) I'd say 3 hours, but some airlines recommend 4 hours.

• Advertisement
Advertisement