Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

~ Pre-Clearance and PassportControl queries ~

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Travelling to America this Thursday.

Can u check in at airport and get boarding pass there? Don't have access to printer or computer and presumed I could check in with mobile app and get boarding pass on phone.

Once you go through security should you go to pre clearance straight away? Is there duty free available once you pass through or is that it, should I have my shopping done prior to pre clearance?

Sorry first time doing this and just not clued up.

Thanks

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

BlondeBomb wrote: »
    Travelling to America this Thursday.

Can u check in at airport and get boarding pass there? Don't have access to printer or computer and presumed I could check in with mobile app and get boarding pass on phone. No need to worry, your boarding pass will be issued at check in

Once you go through security should you go to pre clearance straight away? Is there duty free available once you pass through or is that it, should I have my shopping done prior to pre clearance? There isn't much after pre-clearence apart from a coffee shop, the gates and business class lounge 51st and Green. When you're checking in you should be told what time boarding time starts so get your duty free bits before hand and aim to be at pre-clearance 60-90 minutes before so have plenty of time to get through. There are self-service machines you can use to speed things up which I haven't used.. I'd imagine someone else on here has so they can give you an insight into how they work

If you haven't already got your ESTA do it as soon as otherwise you won'tbe going anywhere.. You can get it from here: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov

Sorry first time doing this and just not clued up.

Thanks

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Ed_Stephens

I left Dulles airport a few weeks ago and never got a stamp on my passport saying I left, I know Aer Lingus most likely just hand over the departing passenger list to the US authorities but I like to have actual proof I left particularly with people being refused for previous overstays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,883 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I don't think Ireland stamps anyone out either. So visa free visitors could overstay and open a business here and stay forever! Happy days.

Undocumented in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I don't think Ireland stamps anyone out either. So visa free visitors could overstay and open a business here and stay forever! Happy days.

Undocumented in Ireland.

Irish passport holder should be segregated giving them higher priority and stamp everyone else in and out but excluding UK citizens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

This post has been deleted.

Your I-94 historical entry & exit information is actually available on the CBP site itself.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/spotlights/arrivaldeparture-history-now-available-i-94-webpage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Probably a stupid question:

My girlfriend is travelling to Ireland with me shortly and, being a non-EU citizen will have to go through the non-EU chute.

Will it be a problem if I go through the Non-EU Citizen passport control with her or do I have to go through the EU passport control being Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Technically you should separate and go through the EU but generally I’ve found they don’t care.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

If she's from Switzerland or Norway they'll insist on her using the "EU" queue even though they're not in the EU...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I've often been herded to the Non EU passport control when its very busy in the EU queue.

Years ago I used to just go over to the non EU ones of my own accord when the EU queue was huge. 1 time a Guard gave me a bit of guff for it, but he still let me through.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

If your girlfriend is not a permanent Irish resident and from a country that requires a visa to be here, I would suggest you should go through together. Easier for her to explain why she is here.

My other half is non-EU and we always go to the non-EU desk together. The guards never say anything about it - I guess we're making their job easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: Moved from AH to Travel, please note different forum rules,

Buford T. Justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Popeleo wrote: »
    If your girlfriend is not a permanent Irish resident and from a country that requires a visa to be here, I would suggest you should go through together. Easier for her to explain why she is here.

My other half is non-EU and we always go to the non-EU desk together. The guards never say anything about it - I guess we're making their job easier.

I figured it wouldn't be a problem but it's good to hear people have done it and not been sent to the back of the relevant queue.

Cheers all.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Ed_Stephens

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Your I-94 historical entry & exit information is actually available on the CBP site itself.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/spotlights/arrivaldeparture-history-now-available-i-94-webpage

That's very cool, thanks for that. And yes my departure was recorded!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

isn't an All Passports line and then an EU one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

I'm taking a BA flight to central america - originating in Dublin, overnight layover at heathrow, then Miami and onwards to final destination.

Is it possible to do pre-clearance in Dublin in this kind of circumstance or is pre-clearance just for direct flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kopite386

I'm taking a BA flight to central america - originating in Dublin, overnight layover at heathrow, then Miami and onwards to final destination.

Is it possible to do pre-clearance in Dublin in this kind of circumstance or is pre-clearance just for direct flights?

No pre clearance can only be done when your first stop is in USA, it can't be done in this case as your first stop is in LHR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Pre-clearance can only be done for direct flights, you will have to go through immigration in Miami.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Just direct. The plane arrives at a domestic gate so everybody on it has to have already gone through customs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Pre-clearance can only be done for direct flights, you will have to go through immigration in Miami.

Not true, pre-clearance can be done for an ongoing connection but only when the first flight lands in the US. So you pre-clear for Dub-jfk-las or dub-phl-lax etc. You cannot pre-clear if you are doing dub-lhr-US destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

January wrote: »
    Not true, pre-clearance can be done for an ongoing connection but only when the first flight lands in the US. So you pre-clear for Dub-jfk-las or dub-phl-lax etc. You cannot pre-clear if you are doing dub-lhr-US destination.

Splitting hairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Thought as much ...but had to ask just in case. Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Been all over Europe, but OH travelling to USA for 1st time soon.

Wondering if you need any different documentation for US?

OR is it simply passport and travel documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

You need a valid ESTA from here & only here
    https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Make sure you get travel insurance, I can't stress this enough, buy it now if you don't have it already, no point in buying the night before. Healthcare in US is crazy, a leg break could be €5k plus to put right.

Be prepared for immigration asking lots of intrusive questions, they are generally fine and will just ask the basics of how long your going form where you are staying etc but some can ask where you work, how much money you have with you etc etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,342 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You need a passport that covers you for the trip and not a day beyond (you don't need 3 or 6 months validity beyond the trip) and you need ESTA approval. Use the link provided above and beware of third party websites that charge way over the official ($14) fee. Don't listen to anyone who suggests printing off a copy of the ESTA and bringing it with you to the airport, it's a waste of time.

If you work for a US company, get a letter stating that you are a permanent employee on vacation and that you're due back on xxx date, it significantly reduces any questioning you'll get from the immigration agents.

Dealing with the agent at the airport, have your story ready, where you are staying, who you might be visiting and so on. Address them directly, don't be staring at the floor and do not crack any jokes. It's not so much the answers that matter but more how you behave, do you sound like you've made it all up and are you really travelling to get a job working illegally for your cousin Jimmy in Boston, that's what they're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

coylemj wrote: »
    If you work for a US company, get a letter stating that you are a permanent employee on vacation and that you're due back on xxx date, it significantly reduces any questioning you'll get from the immigration agents.

I wouldn't bother. When I worked for a US company I brought a letter the first few times - offered it and was told they didn't need to see it. Unnecessary paperwork. They will contact your employer if they wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I find US emigration very straightforward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

On a tangential note, I'm taking my niece on her first visit to the States very soon.

Aside from letters from both parents & a copy of their passports & driving licences, is there any other supporting material it'd be wise to carry?

Advertisement