Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

~ Pre-Clearance and PassportControl queries ~

Options
  • 01-08-2017 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Traveling to the US soon and I believe my flight from DUB will depart from T1 (Gates 300+)

Would love to go through pre-clearence but I think this is only for US bound flights leaving from T2 if I'm not mistaken?

Can anyone confirm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

Who are you flying with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

If your going from T1 them I'm guessing it's not a direct flight from Dublin to the US. In which case you can't do preclearace in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Luckysasha wrote: »
    If your going from T1 them I'm guessing it's not a direct flight from Dublin to the US. In which case you can't do preclearace in Dublin.

It's not a direct flight :(

Thanks, thought as much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

I always fly direct to the US just for this reason. If I can't get a direct flight to whet I'm going I will pick up an internal flight in the US rather than in Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Has pre clearance gotten worse since Trump? Are people handing over facebook passwords and getting x rayed?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ozbackineire

Hi,

I am travelling to Brussels on Friday evening for the long weekend. There has been a lot of coverage in the news in the past few days about getting through immigration at a number of airports including Brussels for citizens from Non-Schengen countries with wait times of up to 4 hours. :eek:

I was wondering has anyone travelled to Brussels recently and can let me know their experience? Are the wait time's as bad as the news make out? Is it affecting Irish aswel as British people? We are landing at 10:30 on Friday night on a Ryanair flight so I was hoping the queue's might be shorter. Anyone any experience of that?

Any help is appreciated because right now I am dreading the trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Hi,
    I've just been reading online there that many travellers in airports across Europe are experiencing long delays due to stricter passport checks. It said that many tourists are missing flights due to the queues.
    I wanted to check if this is perhaps an exaggerated by the papers or has anyone experienced delays ?
    I'm particularly interested in Portugal ( faro) airport as I'm travelling there this weekend.
    I want to gauge how long/ much extra airport time I should budget into my travel .
    Faro airport is pretty bleak and would hate to be there any longer than required .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I was through both Madrid & Porto last week (MAD being one of the airports mentioned in recent reports) & though there were queues, they moved quickly & were nothing out of the ordinary. That being said, the pics from Schipol looked fairly daunting & I've certainly never encountered anything like that on the many occasions I've been through the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,821 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

"Security check before getting into airport, security check before getting to check-in, security check after check-in."

A FB post from a pal of mine this morning. He was returning from the south of Spain, not sure which airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

Portugal is mentioned in several of the new items, as having delays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Hi,

I am travelling to Brussels on Friday evening for the long weekend. There has been a lot of coverage in the news in the past few days about getting through immigration at a number of airports including Brussels for citizens from Non-Schengen countries with wait times of up to 4 hours. :eek:

I was wondering has anyone travelled to Brussels recently and can let me know their experience? Are the wait time's as bad as the news make out? Is it affecting Irish aswel as British people? We are landing at 10:30 on Friday night on a Ryanair flight so I was hoping the queue's might be shorter. Anyone any experience of that?

Any help is appreciated because right now I am dreading the trip!

It's affecting anyone flying from outside the Schengen Zone.

schengen_eu_countries.jpg

So if you are flying from/to anywhere that isn't Purple or Blue (Ireland Included)

Factor in up to 4 hours entering and leaving at Zavantem (You need to go through Border Control leaving the Schengen Zone as well) , from the Irish Side it's business as Usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

I'm flying to Perpignan on Sunday with the family. Anyone heard if there are issues there? Wondering if purchasing Fasttrack passes will help with the queues in Dublin.

Seems to be specifically linked to entering and exiting the Schengen zone. You get checked going in against various databases, and are subjected to the same procedure when leaving it. Apparently some delays have been longer than the length of the flights people were intending to catch. Inadequate staffing at passport control is being blamed as well.

The enhanced procedure has to be in place at all airports in the Schengen zone by October. Some airports have introduced it already hence the delays people are seeing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the papers are getting good mileage out of this story .

One view is to join Schengen !
    http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/eoghan-corry-join-schengen-and-all-our-airport-queueing-issues-are-over-35995707.html

Maybe a more pragmatic solution would be schengen preclearance at Irish airports, essentially whats done at ports in England and France and the Eurostar trains, but infrastructurally that might prove difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Hi all,
    My little sister is heading from Brussels Charleroi to Bucharest tomorrow early. The flight is at 9.10, and the earliest bus she can get gets here there at 7:30. It's Ryanair so she'll have the boarding pass already, and she's just bringing hand luggage, but she's panicking about queues now because of the Schengen thing. She's considering going to the airport tonight on the last bus and sleeping there, but I think that's overkill. Anyone that's been there (especially recently) know how long it usually takes to get through the airport??

(Side note- I just realised Romania isn't Schengen, I was expecting a quick and easy trip from Frankfurt tomorrow but that doesn't seem likely now! :/ )

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Which police force would staff these checks?
    Surly local police in each respective country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Faro is a nightmare of an airport at the best of times. Peak season and with extra security I would allow an extra 30 mins to get through whatever time you normally allow yourself.

Average Irish pub after security if you are early and want one last drink before home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

madds wrote: »
    I'm flying to Perpignan on Sunday with the family. Anyone heard if there are issues there? Wondering if purchasing Fasttrack passes will help with the queues in Dublin.

Dublin queues are just normal peak queues - Can't see major issues on Sunday.

When you arrive in Perpignan have a look and see what local situation is as they'll be implementing the schengen rules on exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭howyanow

I flew from Faro on Tuesday just gone.We were probably 20 mins getting through security.We had a 9pm departure so maybe it's worse at other times of the day.The food court was very busy when we got through and there was very little seating!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Just updating this in case anyone comes looking for the same info.

My parents flew from Brussels to Dublin last week, arrived at the airport 2 hours in advance and barely made their plane as there was so much queuing. That's why we were worried initially. However, since Charleroi is a tiny airport, we thought she should just chance going this morning. So, she arrived there this morning, and it took exactly 12 minutes from arriving at the airport to sitting at her gate. :D So the delays don't appear to be affecting that airport, at least not early morning anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

exactly why i didnt mention this detail !
    Between france and Uk its a bilateral aggrement. Between Ireland and USA the same. To implement something between Ireland and all of Schengen would be totally different.

In all honesty, if there's only a consistently massive issue with arrival into Iberian holiday destinations then you'd probably only really need to have some sort of Portugal/ Spain joint effort, or even just Spain having officers on the ground in Ireland.

its probably a bit pie in the sky of a suggestion especially when these delays may only be teething problems, but theres more chance of some sort of pre-checks in Ireland for Schengen passengers than Ireland joining schengen.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

I flew home from Lisbon this week and the queues were pretty long at passport control, security not so much. Had it not been for the fact that the terminal was so small and ryanair delayed their departure times, I would have missed my flight. The electronic passport scanners all broke down at the same time and there were two members of staff to manually scan everyone's passport. Spent about 90 minutes altogether queueing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dring

Reading in the Spanish media that BCN airport has had huge delays at security control recently, the staff are on a go-slow(double/treble checking everything) in protest at hours, lack of personnel and I presume money. Some are having to work 14 hour shifts. Talks broke down yesterday and an all out strike is planned from the 14th

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ozbackineire

Original poster back with an update!

Arrived in the airport 4 hours ahead of departure time yesterday and got through security and passport control in under 20 minutes!! this was at 12 midday so a pretty busy time usually. Flew in and out of Brussels International airport. no problems for me thankfully :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

You can buy some wonderful chocolate in Zavantem!

Advertisement