Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

~ Pre-Clearance and PassportControl queries ~

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,343 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You all need to apply for ESTA approval, this costs $14 per person and it lasts for two years. Apply about a month before you intend to travel, there is a small chance that one of you has the same name as someone on a 'no fly' list so you may need a few days to get approval but you normally get approved straight away. It expires with your passport so do not apply for anyone unless they have a passport that will cover their trip i.e. do not apply if their passport expires before the trip. You don't need extra months on your passport to travel to the US, it can expire on the day you travel home and there won't be a problem. The Irish passport card is not valid for travel to the US.

Only use the official website ..... https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

For car hire, a full Irish driving licence is all you need. Consider buying insurance here to cover the excess (effectively to upgrade the basic third party insurance provided by the hire company to fully comp.) as otherwise you will get the hard sell to buy that type of insurance at the car hire desk when you arrive, there are lots of threads on the subject here and in the 'Travel' forum. You do not need an international driving licence, the useless piece of paper on which the AA makes a tidy profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Thanks for all the info - appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

you might also need a Credit Card to Pay for the Car Hire, Prepaid or Visa Debit are not valid as far as i know for car hire.

speaking of Prepaid credit cards. i recommend Revolut.com as a good card to get your dollars at a good exchange rate. it works with your smart phone, and you will get instant message back to your phone when someone like a waiter takes your card to pay a bill etc.

driving in big US cities is hard. but it depend where your going and if your use to it.

good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    you might also need a Credit Card to Pay for the Car Hire, Prepaid or Visa Debit are not valid as far as i know for car hire.
    Always a nuisance...but I find it hard to justify having a cc just for this purpose.
    speaking of Prepaid credit cards. i recommend Revolut.com as a good card to get your dollars at a good exchange rate.
    +1 Used it extensively in the US whilst I was there. You'll still need a backup card as won't always be accepted.
    driving in big US cities is hard. but it depend where your going
    They're aggressive drivers - no manners on the road..wont give an inch. However, after a couple of months I was worse than they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We have a Credit Card each which we use for Car Hire in the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

I've bought fast track security for my upcoming flight with Ryanair at Dublin. However, I cannot find any information. Do I need to print anything or can I just use my boarding pass at the security?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Boarding pass only, it will have fast track printed on it.

Don't go through the normal gates, the entrance is to the right of them ie. Walk away from T2 when you enter T1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

buy a sandwich in boots or make something at home and bring it with you once ya dont have meat on it you are fine, we do this all the time we fly to the states. we also bring lots of goodies crisps sweets bickies salad bowls from aldi and anything you want to nibble on... there is really nothing after pre clearance... a bar for a nibble and a drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,288 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

After us pre clearance are there duty free shops like the loop etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Yes, there is definitely a water fountain post US Customs. On the left hand side after gate 401 I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Yes, there is , albeit on a much smaller scale. Depending on what you're looking to purchase, you could always ask the staff upstairs to check availability .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,288 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

shanec1928 wrote: »
    No

That’s disappointing. You would think they’d have at least the same facilities as the rest of the airport.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Space is too limited and people to through in too small a part of the day to make it viable

Airports with preclearance and flights leaving all day have far more facilities - Montreal for instance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭horse7

Does anyone find the Pearson international airport passport check unfunctionable,it's electronic and no assistance is offered?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

What do you put on the ESTA application form for employment if you are self employed? Do I just use my own details as the contact or what is the normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

I just put the details I use for work stuff. For me that was my mobile and home address.
    Didn't have any problems with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

Thanks James74, I'll give that a try. Very poorly worded question :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Been many years since dealt with US preclearance in Dublin Airport. Travelling tomorrow with work for 2 weeks. What is the craic with questions they ask and appropriate responses? Is it "I am attending business meetings" they key one or anything to be careful of?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Assuming you have the appropriate visa for business, just answer honestly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Been many years since dealt with US preclearance in Dublin Airport. Travelling tomorrow with work for 2 weeks. What is the craic with questions they ask and appropriate responses? Is it "I am attending business meetings" they key one or anything to be careful of?

Just answer them truthfully. Any time I go for work normally ask me purpose of travelling I say going over to the meet the US team and work from the us office for a week. Or if there's training on I'll mention that.

It's not like they're trying to catch you out. Fabricating or preplanning responses is just going to draw more attention to yourself and make it look like you have something to hide.

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Assuming you have the appropriate visa for business, just answer honestly.

That poster will not need a visa for a two week business trip, ESTA will be sufficient.

The Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) is an online system that is part of the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). ESTA is mandatory for all nationals or citizens of VWP countries who plan to travel to the United States for temporary business or pleasure.

https://ie.usembassy.gov/visas/visa-waiver-program/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Only difference is the visa waiver stamp on your passport will likely show 'WB' as opposed to 'WT' - the former being Business & the later Tourist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

Can I pre-clear at Dublin or is it a regular quefull:cool: entry in Nashville.

Maybe I can do both as I'm a big fan of queuing:D

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

dohouch wrote: »
    Can I pre-clear at Dublin or is it a regular quefull:cool: entry in Nashville.

Maybe I can do both as I'm a big fan of queuing:D

You can only pre clear when your next stop is the US so no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

direct flights from Ireland only, so no, you can't.

• Advertisement

If you're dealing with officials in Nashville, don't forget Sir and Ma'am - lay it on in spades. Southern states are just that bit more formal than the folk up north and rednecks in uniform expect to be addressed in a formal manner from start to finish i.e. don't get 'familiar' as you may cross a line and find yourself suddenly dealing with a difficult person. Keep your Irish charm and informality on hold.

Advertisement