Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

~ Pre-Clearance and PassportControl queries ~

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

coylemj wrote: »
    don't forget Sir and Ma'am - lay it on in spades.
    Keep your Irish charm and informality on hold

I've never laid it on in spades, probably ROFL if I had say "Yeahs mahm. yeahs sur :)

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Flying Norwegian to JFK New York via a 4 hour stop over in Stockholm due to the original flight being cancelled, now 787 Dreamliner.
    Does he go through the US Emigration in Dublin?
    https://www.norwegian.com/ie/ipc/availability/avaday?A_City=NYCALL&AdultCount=1&ChildCount=0&CurrencyCode=EUR&D_City=DUB&D_Day=01&D_Month=201904&D_SelectedDay=01&IncludeTransit=true&InfantCount=0&R_Day=09&R_Month=201904&R_SelectedDay=09&TripType=2&mode=ab

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

No

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Only go through us immigration in Ireland if you flight direct to the states

Cheers lads.

• Advertisement

2 1/2 hours for pre-immigration at Dublin Airport according to this caller today, staff reckon it will be here to stay for the summer!

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_liveline.xml

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

Hey, does anyone know if you can bring a chopped salad all the way through both?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Not sure but I think they have salad in America too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Likely no (pre-clearance)... you are not allowed bring meat, dairy or veg AFAIK. They stopped me bringing a sandwich once for sure.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Likely no... you are not allowed bring meat, dairy or veg AFAIK. They stopped me bringing a sandwich once for sure.

I've brought a cheese sandwich no hassle before. Yogurt, cheese etc. Had it on the plane. I'm flying with Norweigan (cheaper fare) so thinking of things I can bring.

• Advertisement

shinny wrote: »
    I've brought a cheese sandwich no hassle before. Yogurt, cheese etc. Had it on the plane. I'm flying with Norweigan (cheaper fare) so thinking of things I can bring.

Maybe depends on who is on the small security area before clearance I guess. Worst case if they take it off you, you can get food in the small cafe after clearance.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Maybe depends on who is on the small security area before clearance I guess. Worst case if they take it off you, you can get food in the small cafe after clearance.

I'm getting conflicting info on it to be fair. I've tweeted Dublin Airport, see what they say. Worst case I'll horse it into me if they try to take it away :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I saw a sniffer dog going over the passengers baggage in Shannon once.
    He stuck on one woman's bag and the handler checked it for food and found none.
    The woman then explained that she had apples in the bag the previous day and the handler said that was enough to alert the dog.

I am only reporting what I saw and I know no more about the sniffer dog's abilities but I wouldn't chance bringing food.

So I rang Dublin Airport assitance and they said there will be no issue for Salad items. It's only liquid and paste type foods that have to be under 100mls. Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭RoryMac

They took bananas off my in-laws last time we went through pre-clearance in Dublin so would've thought salad would be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭laotg

shinny wrote:
    So I rang Dublin Airport assitance and they said there will be no issue for Salad items. It's only liquid and paste type foods that have to be under 100mls. Happy days!

shinny wrote:

That answer relates to security in the airport. US Customs in Dublin may have a different opinion.

laotg wrote: »
    That answer relates to security in the airport. US Customs in Dublin may have a different opinion.

I asked about both. They said it referred to both.

RoryMac wrote: »
    They took bananas off my in-laws last time we went through pre-clearance in Dublin so would've thought salad would be an issue

Yeah, I had a banana with me one time and saw the sign specifically for that while I was in the queue in US PC so I ate it as we were there for 40 mins.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/know-before-you-go/prohibited-and-restricted-items

As clearance in the airport is the same as entering the US, this is the list that applies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

You can bring it through, if a border agent asks just say you’ll be eating it in transit. They do sometimes ask if you’re bringing in meat/nuts/cheese/snacks but you’d want to get a real asshat to confiscate a ready made salad which will obviously be eaten prior to arriving to the US

• Advertisement

jive wrote: »
    You can bring it through, if a border agent asks just say you’ll be eating it in transit. They do sometimes ask if you’re bringing in meat/nuts/cheese/snacks but you’d want to get a real asshat to confiscate a ready made salad which will obviously be eaten prior to arriving to the US

Cheers, here's hoping I don't get an asshat :P

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

You can bring salad with you , I bring it every time I fly to the states . You can’t bring fruit or any type of meat though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

not quite relevant to the average traveler as he was called for secondary clearance but 3 hours is always recommended.

You can bring salad with you , I bring it every time I fly to the states . You can’t bring fruit or any type of meat though

Great, thanks for that. I’ll avoid meat in the salad so just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We are flying to Boston from Dublin on Thurs. Flight is at 11.30am. What time should we be at the Airport to be comfortable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

SusanC10 wrote: »
    We are flying to Boston from Dublin on Thurs. Flight is at 11.30am. What time should we be at the Airport to be comfortable?

8.30am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

8.30am

Thank you !

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

Give yourself the three hours . Immigration and customs can be busy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭johnire

Hi.
    I’m planning on travelling from either Dublin or Shannon to Miami. The flight is via Heathrow. Can I still get the preclearence before I board in whichever airport I end up departing from?
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

johnire wrote: »
    Hi.
    I’m planning on travelling from either Dublin or Shannon to Miami. The flight is via Heathrow. Can I still get the preclearence before I board in whichever airport I end up departing from?
    Thanks!

No. Preclearance only works if you travel from Ireland to the USA, travelling via any other country means you queue on arrival

Advertisement