Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

~ Pre-Clearance and PassportControl queries ~

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dennyk

I wouldn't bother. When I worked for a US company I brought a letter the first few times - offered it and was told they didn't need to see it. Unnecessary paperwork. They will contact your employer if they wish.

Better to have and not need than need and not have, I always say. Immigration officers have complete authority to accept or deny you for any reason, so you're taking a gamble that one won't become suspicious of you for some reason and request extra documentation. If they do get it into their head that you are traveling to the US to perform work for your company, they might not bother contacting your employer to verify your story, they may just refuse you. Obtaining a verification letter from your employer just in case is certainly less hassle than getting denied entry, detained, and eventually sent home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Gone through US immigration numerous times in both Shannon & Dublin, the only thing that I've been asked is

1. Where are you traveling to
    2. How long are you traveling for
    3. Are these your bags (on the monitor)
    4. Put you hands on the screen to be scanned
    5. Enjoy your trip

They do have the right to refuse entry, a valid ESTA does not determine if a traveller is admissible to the US but I've never had in my possession a letter from an employer or been asked for one, the agents tend to be polite and professional, if you're a normal traveller with a valid ESTA & passport you'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 23,279 ✭✭✭✭ted1

coylemj wrote: »

If you work for a US company, get a letter stating that you are a permanent employee on vacation and that you're due back on xxx date, it significantly reduces any questioning you'll get from the immigration agents.

Dealing with the agent at the airport, have your story ready, where you are staying, who you might be visiting and so on. Address them directly, don't be staring at the floor and do not crack any jokes. It's not so much the answers that matter but more how you behave, do you sound like you've made it all up and are you really travelling to get a job working illegally for your cousin Jimmy in Boston, that's what they're looking for.
    a tad bit excessive

• Registered Users Posts: 25,342 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ted1 wrote: »
    a tad bit excessive

Can people who think my response was a bit OTT take note that I am giving advice to someone going to the US for the first time. A lot of people post here asking for advice and for a lot of them, you can tell that they are scared sh1tless about the process, no harm to tell them to behave naturally but not to come across as evasive.

The ESTA approval covers you to do work for your (Irish) employer in the US, my advise about taking a letter from your US employer was simply to cut through the usual questions. It speeded things up for me the first and only time I showed it, the agent just waved me through when he read the letter. For a first time traveller, it would offer a measure of comfort and reassure them that they were unlikely to get a string of aggressive questions.

I have been several times to the US, I know the agents are generally friendly and the process (after the first time) is pretty smooth but first time travellers tend to be nervous when they realise that that one official has the power to refuse them admittance to the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,279 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They’d be more nervous after reading your post.

Just complete the ESTA (on the actual website avoiding those that charge a premium for no reaso), have the details of your accommodation and that’s it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I have been several times to the US, I know the agents are generally friendly and the process (after the first time) is pretty smooth but first time travellers tend to be nervous when they realise that that one official has the power to refuse them admittance to the US.

Yes I've had 2 visits where I was agressively grilled, despite me having all details they wanted and being legit going on a holiday. Best be in a complete neutral state of mind with zero emotion going through, all business like, jokes a complete no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

FWIW I was asked by American Airlines when checking in did I have a copy of my esta. Despite the advice above I’m in the ‘no harm in having it’ category

US immigration is no more strict than any other country. It’s just that the vast majority of us only travel to EU and the US so that’s the one that sticks out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Dealing with the agent at the airport, have your story ready, where you are staying, who you might be visiting and so on. Address them directly, don't be staring at the floor and do not crack any jokes. It's not so much the answers that matter but more how you behave, do you sound like you've made it all up and are you really travelling to get a job working illegally for your cousin Jimmy in Boston, that's what they're looking for.

Never got asked anything beyond "Business or Pleasure?"

Last time in Miami the guy didn't even ask anything and just stamped my Passport and that was it.

But telling someone to behave naturally will not really make them behave naturally

I can see some lad now in the queue sweating to himself *be cool steve .. be cool ... act natural* :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

US isn't that bad, Russia well thats interesting

1. Ensure you have a valid passport with the RFID symbol on it
    2. Complete ESTA application in good time, i.e. before you book flights in case of issues
    3. Have a print out of your travel itinerary, flights, hotels, car hire, esta etc this is mainly for the airline as the CBP folks have everything on the screen. You will have to provide the address of where you are staying so having it printed out can help speed the check in
    4. Fill in everything and beyond that the airline asks on there website
    5. Have a return ticket if not make sure your onward ticket is out of North America (Canada and Mexico do not count) have a print out of same (if you entered your details into the airlines website the CBP will have it on file and likely won't even mention it)
    6. If doing pre clearance arrive in plenty of time
    7. Do say good morning, afternoon officer
    8. Answer questions directly, yes, no, dates etc keep it simple

I've never had problems bar a unfriendly agent at Vancouver, even had a bit of laugh with a few of the agents in Dublin, 12 entries in 5.5 years.

And remember if the US really doesn't want you to visit chances are you won't even get past check in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Dodge wrote: »
    US immigration is no more strict than any other country. It’s just that the vast majority of us only travel to EU and the US so that’s the one that sticks out

The number of times I've been grilled going to/from the UK (purpose of your visit, where are you staying, how long for ... :rolleyes: ) Last time, when leaving the country, yer wan finished the interrogation with "Why do you live in France?" :eek: She let me drive on when I answered "Because I do?!"

Maybe she was just practising for her post Brexit duties! :pac:

Sorry ... off topic.

The number of times I've been grilled going to/from the UK (purpose of your visit, where are you staying, how long for ... :rolleyes: ) Last time, when leaving the country, yer wan finished the interrogation with "Why do you live in France?" :eek: She let me drive on when I answered "Because I do?!"

Maybe she was just practising for her post Brexit duties! :pac:

Sorry ... off topic.

You have to go through immigration when leaving the UK when travelling to the EU ? :confused:

redcup342 wrote: »
    You have to go through immigration when leaving the UK when travelling to the EU ? :confused:

Eurotunnel, both ways. And (supposedly) provide Advance Passenger Information. But it's only the British that ask the questions, even when you're leaving; the French are much more laid back about it.

Eurotunnel, both ways. And (supposedly) provide Advance Passenger Information. But it's only the British that ask the questions, even when you're leaving; the French are much more laid back about it.

Eurotunnel operates Juxtaposed controls.

UK -> France, French border control in UK
    France -> UK, UK Border control in France.

So it was likely the other way around, i.e. you were talking to French border control when you were leaving the UK, on the other side you just drive out.

:pac: I think I've crossed that border often enough now to know the difference between the insignia (and accents) of Her Majesty's Government and La République Française. And the incident above most definitely refers to the British woman working at window 2 of the control point picking up where her colleague at window 1 left off, before giving me the all clear to proceed to the French passport control point 50m further on. ;)

But none of that is of relevance to the OP.

(It has, however, persuaded me of the value of pre-clearance and flying out of Dublin, rather than crossing the Atlantic first and hoping I don't end up looking at someone the wrong way on the wrong day ... )

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just checked the email from Aer Lingus with the flight details and seen a bit that mentions what you need.

It does state the ESTA application, but is also looking for API, Advanced Passenger Information. Since the flights were booked in a friends account, can't see what info is required for this.

Anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

• Registered Users Posts: 25,342 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

NIMAN wrote: »
    Just checked the email from Aer Lingus with the flight details and seen a bit that mentions what you need.

It does state the ESTA application, but is also looking for API, Advanced Passenger Information. Since the flights were booked in a friends account, can't see what info is required for this.

Anyone know?

Passport data and date of birth for each passenger. Some airlines like United only do it do it at check-in time, Aer Lingus will let you enter it in advance on the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭horse7

I have an Irish passport and am coming to Dublin airport shortly with my Canadian baby (Canada passport), should I go to the EU passport holder and explain or what is the case. Ps I will be over for a week , would I need to bring a letter from my partner to grant permission for baby to travel,as this will be a first for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You need to queue in the non EU line. There is nothing to stop any EU citizen using any booth but non EU citizens, regardless of age, have to use the non EU booth.

A letter could be useful but make sure it's correctly formatted, I don't know the correct format but Google or an immigration lawyer will know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

• Registered Users Posts: 26,070 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Although travelling on a Canadian passport your baby may, in fact, also be an Irish (and therefore EU) citizen - you probably know whether this is the case. If so, and if it's a baby in arms, I'd chance the EU line. The worst they can do is direct you to the other line, and they'd have to be pretty stony-hearted to do that.

Yes, bring a letter from the child's father, esp. if the child's surname is different from your surname. Also the child's birth cert, showing that you are its mother. You probably won't need these things but, if you do, it would be a shame not to have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Does your baby have the same surname as you?

If not, then you will probably need a copy of the birth cert and registration showing the parents names. My partner always gets asked for this when leaving Germany, I don't know how strict Canada is but Ireland are not so strict, never get asked when leaving Ireland. Better having the documents just in case.

Use whichever line is shortest.

I severely doubt the border control people are going to tell you to go back to the start of the other queue just because your baby has a different passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

redcup342 wrote: »
    Use whichever line is shortest.

I severely doubt the border control people are going to tell you to go back to the start of the other queue just because your baby has a different passport.

Does the EU booth have the stamps for non EU visas? If so why have separate queues. The OP can use either queue, their child can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

jester77 wrote: »
    Does your baby have the same surname as you?

If not, then you will probably need a copy of the birth cert and registration showing the parents names. My partner always gets asked for this when leaving Germany, I don't know how strict Canada is but Ireland are not so strict, never get asked when leaving Ireland. Better having the documents just in case.
    dont start about Germany. They started getting really strict on it last year with everyone we know travelling on their own with kids either needing a letter or the partner to be there personally or at the very least the other partner/ guardian be at the end of the telephone for a grilling.

One parent had a very busy (no doubt in a very important job) spouse who didnt answer his phone so the wife and kids were not allowed travel.

Of course Canada is a different country than my example, but they also recommend a letter of permission :
    If a minor child is travelling with one parent only
    The parent should present:

the child’s passport
    a copy of the child’s birth certificate, and
    a letter of authorization, in English or French if possible, which is signed by the parent who is not travelling with them and lists:
    the address and telephone number of the parent who is not travelling, and
    a photocopy of that parent’s signed passport or national identity card.
    https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/minor-children-travelling-canada.html
    and more here
    https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/children/faq

Theres some examples of a letter here for a child travelling on their own, so you can modify that a little
    https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/children/consent-letter

And just for good measure, heres a report from last year of a mother in Canada whose husband ran off with the kids to Lebanon.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/chatham-ont-mother-pleads-for-return-of-children-husband-took-to-lebanon-1.4342794

Del2005 wrote: »
    Does the EU booth have the stamps for non EU visas? If so why have separate queues. The OP can use either queue, their child can't.

A. Canadians don't need a visa to enter Ireland, yes have a stamp.
    B. EU Citizens with Non-EU Spouses/Children go through the EU Queue all the time as they have to go through together.

To best honest though, my experience of Dublin Airport lately is the EU Queue is a far longer wait than Non-EU anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We are planning a trip to the US in 2019 for approx 2.5 weeks. 2 Adults & 2 Kids. All travelling on Irish Passports.

I have been to the US before but not for 15 years. My Husband and Kids have never been there.

I don't remember much in the way of Passport/Visa requirements when I was last there. I also have never driven there. But this time we will hire a car.

What do we need in Terms of Passports (validity etc), Visas, Driving Licences etc or any other Documentation ??

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement