Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All quiet on the Korean peninsula, but is Spain about to erupt?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Grayson wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/GuyVerhofstadt/status/914524846670958600

That's actually a pretty balanced view.

Interestingly the comments underneath are universally condemning him and the EU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Collie D wrote: »
    There is something deeply disturbing about a police force assaulting people trying to vote. The Spanish government need to be condemned for this.

Lets not look too far from the real facts surrounding An Garda Siochana and our own governments role in the debacle before we go analysing another country's police force!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,577 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

DLEb1NJWsAAbX2o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Simply astonishing seeing police attacking fellow police and firefighters.
    They should hang their heads in shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

There is something deeply disturbing about a police force assaulting people trying to vote. The Spanish government need to be condemned for this.

No government in the western world wants Catalonia to seperate from Spain so a blind eye will probably be turned imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

No government in the western world wants Catalonia to seperate from Spain so a blind eye will probably be turned imo.

There will be no international condemnation.

And talks about it in terms of civil war are waaaaay over the top. In the last big civil war in Europe, in the Balkans, it involved very heavily armed sides, attacks on military, and massacres of dozens of civilians in places like Dalj to really push it over the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The Joan Burton special Spanish episode

• Registered Users Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Ah now you are a Catalan sympathiser that makes sense! You know a picture I’m proud of is me standing in front of the cross at The Valle de los Caídos! I hope that decks your head!
    Most of the rest of Spain cannot stand the Catalans and back the PP Governements tough stance bar the usual lefties parties like Podemos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Most of the rest of Spain cannot stand the Catalans .

Yet they are attacking them to keep them part of the country. Are you on drugs?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

dresden8 wrote: »
    Most of the rest of Spain cannot stand the Catalans .

Yet they are attacking them to keep them part of the country.  Are you on drugs?
    It happened during the US in the 1860s when the South seceded. Centralized governments need the tax.

DLEaENVX0AA5IaI.jpg

I've been watching the news and have seen the videos throughout today and have said "oh my god"

But that picture. It's just left me stunned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

DLEaENVX0AA5IaI.jpg

Proper order.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It is quite simply shocking to witness this in an EU democracy, how quickly the mask slips from our civilised society. Utterly atrocious and so unnecessary. Extraordinarily badly handled by the Spanish government.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

Monumental own goal by the Spanish surely? They can't stop the Catalonians from wanting independence. So why not let them have the referendum, and then say that it was a waste of time, we'll never accept the result, now on yer bike. Surely their heavy handed reaction will now add to the pre-existing resentment?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,419 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Whoever gave the police their orders to basically beat up anyone who was in their way must be deranged.

The Catalonian independence movement has just had a huge PR coup.

I think the mayor said it well. The PM should resign.

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Proper order.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Why?

He's just trying to stir ****e up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

The Catalans should arm themselves and start killing the Spanish Police, send them back to Madrid in bodybags. They tried to have a democratic referendum and these thugs were sent in from Madrid to crack innocent peoples skulls.

These are no different to the black and tans being sent into Ireland, the Catalans must fight back and make a Universal Declaration of Independence from Spain. Had the Spanish done nothing and kept their army of thugs at home and let the referendum pass off peacefully it would probably have been rejected. Instead the people will rise against Spain and I for one support them. ETA and the Catalans should immediately take the fight to the Spanish because the Spaniards have shown they are unwilling to accept peaceful democracy just like the British tried in Ireland.

The Spanish government has done more today to further independence in the eyes of the world than the Catalonian have achieved in months

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

BBDBB wrote: »
    The Spanish government has done more today to further independence in the eyes of the world than the Catalonian have achieved in months

Gave the separatists the greatest PR victory theu could ever hope to achieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Je suis fashionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Doltanian wrote: »
    The Catalans should arm themselves and start killing the Spanish Police, send them back to Madrid in bodybags. They tried to have a democratic referendum and these thugs were sent in from Madrid to crack innocent peoples skulls.

These are no different to the black and tans being sent into Ireland, the Catalans must fight back and make a Universal Declaration of Independence from Spain. Had the Spanish done nothing and kept their army of thugs at home and let the referendum pass off peacefully it would probably have been rejected. Instead the people will rise against Spain and I for one support them. ETA and the Catalans should immediately take the fight to the Spanish because the Spaniards have shown they are unwilling to accept peaceful democracy just like the British tried in Ireland.

Oh look a Shinner/Ira head has risen! Back in your box boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,329 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Your Face wrote: »
    Je suis fashionable.

If you're claiming this is some kind of flavour of the month cause celebre you're way off. Most people haven't given an opinion on independence and are more worried about the brutal reaction from state sponsored thugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Doltanian wrote: »

This is not the response that is needed at this point. Today the Catalonians appeared calm, measured, determined against the might of brutish forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Ah now you are a Catalan sympathiser that makes sense! You know a picture I’m proud of is me standing in front of the cross at The Valle de los Caídos! I hope that decks your head!
    Most of the rest of Spain cannot stand the Catalans and back the PP Governements tough stance bar the usual lefties parties like Podemos.

On your bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

If you're claiming this is some kind of flavour of the month cause celebre you're way off. Most people haven't given an opinion on independence and are more worried about the brutal reaction from state sponsored thugs.

Hugs

Injured total rises to over 700

Article 7 of the European Union Treaty

"Suspension of any Member State that uses military force on its own population"

Fairly sure that won't happen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Oh look a Shinner/Ira head has risen! Back in your box boy!

If anyone here knows my sentiments I am opposed to the leftwing but I am also opposed to this thuggery from the Spanish Nationalists. I beleive Catalonia has the right to self-determination without this invasion of Spanish forces creating havoc in their country. The Catalans must be allowed to vote and if they are denied this then they are perfectly entitled in my view to fight back, the only terrorists I see hear are wearing black and were sent by the Spanish King to enforce Madrid rule over Barcelona.

People should remember that lots of Irish volunteers went to Spain and died to prevent Spain falling to Franco, the Blue shirts went also to support Franco but most didn't even see action due to their woeful lack of training.

I'm anti-communist but this isn't a left-right debate this is about Spanish imperialism over the people of Catalonia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

BBDBB wrote: »
    Injured total rises to over 700

Article 7 of the European Union Treaty

"Suspension of any Member State that uses military force on its own population"

Fairly sure that won't happen

Key word there is military. As long as they're in police unifrom the state can batter the ****e out of ye.

Advertisement