Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All quiet on the Korean peninsula, but is Spain about to erupt?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The dog doesn't escape getting attacked by the police (14 seconds in)....

https://twitter.com/catalannews/status/914415980712996864

Shocking to see spanish authorties treating their own citizens like this for little to no reason. Its as if theyre nearly asking for catalonian protestors to elevate to violence. Doing much more harm than good here. Little chance of future unity after their actions imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Neither would I as the odds are too short at around 3/1, so no value.

Think they will, and it will be due to the main singular issue that created the event known as Brexit. All projections are for uncontrolled migration to continue across the Med in the coming years.

The question is if Italy could (maybe) 'just about' survive outside of the EU, can the same be said about Catalonia?

If the Catalans leave Spain, they will likely leave the EU at the same time, and have to reapply for re-membership (in the same way that Scotland will eventually have to).

You can bet Spain would veto Catalonia applying for eu membership.

Back on topic, the way Spain have reacted to this screams dictatorship style.
    They should be ashamed of their handling of this.

Spanish police now attacking firefighters

https://mobile.twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/914481196167516160/video/1

Absolutely shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

I'm struggling to find any information on Catalonia's basis for independence. I know little of Spain's history but have no recall of Catalonia being an independent country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

bear1 wrote: »
    Spanish police now attacking firefighters

https://mobile.twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/914481196167516160/video/1

Absolutely shocking.

Jeez, the Spanish Government and Police have obviously never heard of the phrase "Winning of hearts and minds".

• Advertisement

Jeez, the Spanish Government and Police have obviously never heard of the phrase "Winning of hearts and minds".

Their interior minister has praised their professionalism amazingly.

I'm struggling to find any information on Catalonia's basis for independence. I know little of Spain's history but have no recall of Catalonia being an independent country.

From what I know there were 2 separate regions which United when the king and queen of each region married.
    Franco suppressed any sort of independence question which then started again once he was gone and here we are today.
    This is the gist of it.

From what I know there were 2 separate regions which United when the king and queen of each region married.
    Franco suppressed any sort of independence question which then started again once he was gone and here we are today.
    This is the gist of it.

Fron wiki that seems to have been in 1491!

Is there any modern claim I wonder?

As far as I can gather the people of Catalonia voted in favour of Spains constitution in 1978. So how in the space of 40 years has this movement arisen?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The dog doesn't escape getting attacked by the police (14 seconds in)....

https://twitter.com/catalannews/status/914415980712996864

It's quite notable that people aren't putting up any resistance, people being slammed to the ground, they get up dazed and stumble away. Authorities heavy handed tactics will hopefully come back to bite them in the ass.

All covering their heads. Cowards. Hitting old defenceless people. ****

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Turtwig wrote: »
    This is the height of stupidity by the Spanish government. There is a very real danger that the more fringe separatists Catalan use the apparent impotency of peaceful and democratic protests to push for more violent conflict.

It might seem like the height of stupidity to outsiders, but it's important to remember that Prime Minister Rajoy and his cabinet have the overwhelming support of the rest of the Spanish people in dealing with this decisively.

The vast majority of the Spanish people are terrified at the prospect of their country fragmenting - every family has memories of the Civil War and how destructive it was.

Also, the Spanish Government has no problem taking on separatist groups militarily if it comes to that. They defeated ETA and rendered its military wing ineffective following decades of violence. Make no mistake about it, they will not have a problem doing so again if that is what is required. That is the very message that is being delivered loud and clear today - i.e. the Spanish Government will not compromise on its territorial integrity. Those that follow Spanish politics will not be surprised by this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

As far as I can gather the people of Catalonia voted in favour of Spains constitution in 1978. So how in the space of 40 years has this movement arisen?

It was always there, the 1978 vote gave them a small bit of power and stopped the supression of yheir culture and identity

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Well as a Brexit revolutionary I think Catalonia should be allowed to vote at least. It would be hypocritical to say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

To think those poor sods are getting battered and beaten for simply daring to be heard

It's all very one sided, how long before the people react and start arming themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

The guardia civil are thugs in uniform. They are infamous and if you ever holiday in Spain and be about the tourist bars/strips then you will probably be aware of them. They are fond of dishing out slaps at random and don’t appear to be worried about complaints about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

timthumbni wrote: »
    The guardia civil are thugs in uniform. They are infamous and if you ever holiday in Spain and be about the tourist bars/strips then you will probably be aware of them. They are fond of dishing out slaps at random and don’t appear to be worried about complaints about them.

Wish our Gardai where more like them.

BillyBobBS wrote: »

Yeah I wish our police force was so extreme that you'd get the **** kicked out of you randomly and be known around Europe as such.

In case you don't sense it, I'm being sarcastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Until you or someone you know gets clocked on the head for no real reason other than the guard could legally do it and felt like it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

bear1 wrote:
    Yeah I wish our police force was so extreme that you'd get the **** kicked out of you randomly and be known around Europe as such.

I bet people dont dry hump them at carnivals

• Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭mosstin

In case you don't sense it, I'm being sarcastic.

Given the nature of the post, I imagine you'll have to explain 'sarcastic'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The vote was for a liberalising constitution that ended the dictatorship that Franco had built up and freed the restraints imposed on its region and culture. It wasn't a vote to remain part of Spain.

Also, forty years in a long time. The abortion referendum next year will gice us an idea of how much public opinion has changed in Ireland since 1983 when two-thirds of thr electorate voted in favour of the ban on abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

You really wouldn’t. Have saw them hitting out with their batons to complete innocent bystanders when others were fighting. I would be a supporter of strong policing but there’s a difference between that and random thuggery that I have witnessed on several occasions from the guardia civil.

You need a happy medium. Anyway here and down south (I’m from NI) I don’t think the police are the problem. The legal/justice system are. In my line of work I see guys with convictions well into the double figures (and I’m not talking traffic offences here) and yet no jail time. It doesnt make sense.

Over 460 reportedly injured now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I'd rather law enforcement officers were respected rather than feared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

It's an area that also runs into Southern France so will we have the French
    Catalans looking to join them and what then about the Basques?
    Another civil war brewing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

What? You'd like the guards to go around intimidating and beating people for no reason? Would you like them to be more like American police too? Then you could add shooting and sexually assaulting innocent people to the list too.

It's an area that also runs into Southern France so will we have the French
    Catalans looking to join them and what then about the Basques?
    Another civil war brewing!!!

Doesn't it also form in a sense part of Andorra?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,503 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Cork watching with interest...

#EndDublinRuleInCork

I for one think those fvckers should be floated off into the Atlantic, although the place would most likely topple over owing to the weight of the chips on their shoulders.

I still cannot find the basis upon which the claim for independence is based, can anyone here explain or point me in the direction of somewhere I can read up on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Some shocking videos floating around. The Government have handled this very poorly. Surely these scenes will drive the support for independence rather than take from it.

Advertisement