Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All quiet on the Korean peninsula, but is Spain about to erupt?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Police started firing stun grenades into crowd in Barcelona, could kick things off.

Edit: actually I think it was rubber bullets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I read reports that police had closed approx half of the schools/designated voting stations. Need to read up on it more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

If Madrid cracks down on the Separatists they become martyrs.

If Madrid does nothing the Separatists become emboldened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

The vote is not legally recognized by Madrid, so it's not like the Scottish independence referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The vote is not legally recognized by Madrid, so it's not like the Scottish independence referendum.

The Catalan democratically elected regional government voted yes to a vote though on the matter. The likelihood is in a free vote that independence would not have got through but trying to stop it could be very counter productive. if people get badly injured or killed things could get very inflamed though there is no real history of violent resistance in the area unlike the Basque Country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

The Catalan democratically elected regional government voted yes to a vote though on the matter. The likelihood isin a free vote that independence would not have got through but trying to stop it could be very counter productive. if people get badly injured or killed things could get very inflamed though there is no real history of violent resistance in the area unlike the Basque Country.

I just read this in the Indo

'The ballot will have no legal status as it has been blocked by Spain's Constitutional Court, and Madrid has the ultimate power under its 1978 charter to suspend the regional government's authority to rule if it declares independence'

Maybe an Irish Free State style solution is in order

I just read this in the Indo

'The ballot will have no legal status as it has been blocked by Spain's Constitutional Court, and Madrid has the ultimate power under its 1978 charter to suspend the regional government's authority to rule if it declares independence'

If they decided to use that power, then I would imagine matters getting very militant in a very short space of time. The will of the people to a regional government would be overrided with i suspect troops on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Cork watching with interest...

#EndDublinRuleInCork

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The Spanish government have been incredibly stupid. Their crackdown on what is essentially a symbolic vote is going to do way more harm than letting them have the vote would have. I've heard Catalans being mocked for complaining of "Madrid oppression" as one of the arguments for their desire for independence but the events in the buildup to the vote can hardly be described in any other way. I can understand why the Spanish government are panicking, as if Catalunya can pull it off than the Basques will probably head down a similar road and, economically, Catalunya is a big contributor to the Spanish coffers, as well as the Basque Country. Because of the restrictions of the Spanish constitution, technically what Catalunya doing is illegal and the Spanish government is reacting as it should when the constitution is ignored. However, it just doesn't feel right at all and it's totally unnecessary, imo.

It's all quite depressing, tbh. I'm sick to death of it. Hearing people talk about it here has left me quite disappointed. A lot of Spaniards I know go on about how "Catalans are Spaniards", despite not living there and getting what they know of Catalunya from the media, and how they're just greedy, etc. I then counter that some people viewed the Irish similarly, that we were British after all and that we shouldn't have left the UK and I'm told "Oh but that's different". They take the thing as an attack on being Spanish when it's really just the right to decide for themselves. Being Irish and given our history, I fully support that ideal and I'm just worn down by the view of a lot of Spaniards I've spoken to about the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Our own independence vote was illegal too. Didn't realise that the catalan economy is bigger than Portugal one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Lol'd at thread title.

Cork watching with interest...

#EndDublinRuleInCork

Lets build a wall. Make Ireland great again. Keep Cork out

Manuel must be turning in his grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

He was from Barcelona but he spoke Spanish. It's hard to be sure how he would have voted.

He was from Barcelona but he spoke Spanish. It's hard to be sure how he would have voted.

He always said Barcelona, never Spain, i think we know where his loyalties were :P

I suspect that the scriptwriters didn't know that Catalonia was a distinct region with its own language & culture.

But, who knows... Just he would be upset about the unrest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The only people who are determined to vote in this referendum and die hard folk who want independence. Folks anywhere else on the spectrum, including those against it, won't come out mostly through fear.

The Spanish government should have allowed a peaceful vote. Remaining in Spain would have won and normal service resume. However these militant tactics by the government will only serve to push more people toward independence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Incredible stupidity from leadership in Madrid, simply incredible. Adding fuel to the fire.

faceman wrote: »
    The only people who are determined to vote in this referendum and die hard folk who want independence. Folks anywhere else on the spectrum, including those against it, won't come out mostly through fear.

The Spanish government should have allowed a peaceful vote. Remaining in Spain would have won and normal service resume. However these militant tactics by the government will only serve to push more people toward independence.

Most people want a quiet peaceful life and prefer status quo as opposed to uncertainty of unchange. Look at Scotland and even Ireland in 1916 when the leaders of the rising were derided on the street.

However if you oppress and create martyrs then all can change very quickly. I don't know whether economically Catalonia would be better off or not but even if were people would be find it hard to be convinced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Incredible stupidity from leadership in Madrid, simply incredible. Adding fuel to the fire.

It seems inconceivabley stupid that they'd use force/riot police to stop people from voting

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It seems inconceivabley stupid that they'd use force/riot police to stop people from voting

Stupid perhaps,but it underlines one of the great differences between modern Ireland and most of the current E.U. which is,the Judicial & Policing arrangements.

Many of those States which we visit/escape/relocate to,in such large numbers have VERY different policing arrangements to our own,which although regarded by some as para-military and/or oppressive tend to result in us returning after our visits loudly proclaiming how "You'd never see that carry-on being allowed in Madrid,Lisbon,Prague etc etc".

I would quite often be part of conversations in which Irish people,recount their interactions with,some of these National or Local Law Enforcement agencies,be they actual Police,or some of the variety of Gendarmerie which are active in mainland Europe.

Micheal McDowell,as far as I am aware,was the only senior politician to directly ask the question "What TYPE of Police Force does ireland want ?" at a summer school somewhere out West some years back.

I'm not certain if he ever recieved a definitive answer :eek:

Like it or not,there is a significant and growing sector,of Irish public opinion who might be quite receptive to a more robust approach to Law enforcement in general.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

At best at this point, the people of Catalonia will vote to remain and things will settle - but due to Madrid's heavy handed tactics, there will be anger and resentment. One person dies in a clash, and there will be fury.

But if Madrid keeps pushing and Catalonia manages to have their vote anyway and votes leave, the midden is going to be all over the windmill.

This was a terrible way to deal with the situation. It cannot go back to how it was now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Fully body armoured police throwing voters down stairs and dragging them out of the polling stations by the hair... lovely way to project a democacy in the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

*puts Catalonian flag filter on facebook profiler*

• Registered Users Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The dog doesn't escape getting attacked by the police (14 seconds in)....

https://twitter.com/catalannews/status/914415980712996864

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Lets build a wall. Make Ireland great again. Keep Cork out

Please.Cork is the biggest GDP contibuter in the country per capita. Cutting out Dublin rule would free us. Might finally get proper infrastructure.

smurgen wrote: »
    Please.Cork is the biggest GDP contibuter in the country per capita. Cutting out Dublin rule would free us. Might finally get proper infrastructure.

You have to take Kerry with you.

Most people want a quiet peaceful life and prefer status quo as opposed to uncertainty of unchange. Look at Scotland and even Ireland in 1916 when the leaders of the rising were derided on the street.

However if you oppress and create martyrs then all can change very quickly. I don't know whether economically Catalonia would be better off or not but even if were people would be find it hard to be convinced.

And what the Spanish authorities are doing today is the equivalent of the shooting of the 1916 leaders. Polls apparently showed that this referendum was not going to be carried. Spectacular incompetence all round by Spain here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Pictures and videos of old ladies being battered on twitter, these cops surely not Catalans but moreso drafted in thugs? Videos of cops marching in on small villages and being the agressors. Always thought Spain had a mean streak from their love of barbaic bloodsports.

This is exactly what you would expect to see in a dictatorship like Venezuela, not in the bloody EU.

Advertisement