Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunchtime Live with Ciara Kelly [Mod warning post #1]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Just tuned in, Cuddihy ranting about being "liberal", instantly tuned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

doylefe wrote: »
    Just tuned in, Cuddihy ranting about being "liberal", instantly tuned out.

You missed an interesting and amusing discussion/banter with illiberal texters on the nature of modern liberalism and the term "snowflake". I believe there's a segment on it later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

You missed an interesting and amusing discussion/banter with illiberal texters on the nature of modern liberalism and the term "snowflake". I believe there's a segment on it later on.

Moncrieff?!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Moncrieff?!! :pac:

Hahaha

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,366 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Ciara Kelly in my opinion isn't a name that will pull in listeners. I don't think she's appallingly bad but nor is she exceptionally good.
    I think her appointment is ultimately tokenistic and I would be very surprised if she is still presenting the show 12 months down the line.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

No doubt she will still own and operate her practice, but employ a locum doctor to take her place on less money than she was taking home.

She spoke about her practice a good bit when starting out on the Right Hook.
    She took a huge mortgage/loan out to expand her practice just before the crash.
    She has a number of GP's & nurses that work for her out of her practice.
    She missed countless mortgage payments through the bad years, only breaking even recently.

I can't imagine her NT salary would beat what a busy GP brings in so she must do it for a passion.
    Plus she's an out & out atheist & proclaimed it on air, gets an extra point for that.

If the inside NT expose was correct her appointment wont heal any wounds.
    None of the big money presenters in NT are qualified journalists & apparently it really grates with researchers/producer staff who are all media graduates working for bottom penny.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Bobby was covering the show yesterday and he had Ciara on for a bit.

She said her show, starting Monday, would have 8-10 callers from the public on the air each hour........... Jaysuz :eek:

That sounds terrible.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Can't be much worse than High Noon in fairness.

Couldn't they just give Moncrieff his time back, his show has really suffered since he lost that hour.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It sounds too much like Liveline for me so I wouldn't have much interest in listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It sounds too much like Liveline for me so I wouldn't have much interest in listening.

It sounds like Newstalk's answer to Liveline. Certainly Duffy and Kelly have one thing in common; neither of them tolerate any opinion that doesn't fit in with their own agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

monstermag wrote: »
    Cuddihy makes Jonathan Healy sound like Alex Jones. Having said that I don't mind him that much.
    Is there any moderate voice left in Irish media? Pat Kenny threads the fine line between left and right, and all the better for it. There's very few broadcasters who can handle a wide range of topics and ciara Kelly is not one of them, she's competent and l do like her but she doesn't make me want to turn on the radio or feel I'd miss anything by not listening. No matter what u say about George hook, u must admit he could handle any topic and add to it. Pak Kenny is the same. Gerry Ryan was probably the master of radio an absolute genius at the art of broadcasting, there was nothing he couldn't deal with, music, politics, sport, religion, comedy, arts, health, sex, etc. Broadcasters like that don't come around that often. No matter who newstalk get, they're going to be pretty much the same. Blandness seem to be name of the game theses days.
    I was a huge Hook fan. I loved his drivetime show and altho the timing didnt suit, I liked his lunchtime show. I have abandoned Newstalk completely now, even Yates seems to have lost the edge he once had, altho given what happened to Hook, you can hardly blame him. I find ciara kelly to be as bad if not worse than ray darcy, her preaching is as painful as her dismissal of anything other than a firm left of centre point of view.
    My vote for best radio host currently is Sean O Rourke. He is the only heavy hitter who can sem to Straddle the full spectrum from left to right without having to give a sermon of his own opinions. Pat Kenny used to have that skill but seems to have lost it in recent years, especially when he starts on about Trump. I think radio in Dublin in particular is in a very very bad place. You only have to look at the number of people in public transport on their phones, when technology means that people can easily recieve Internet radio in their cars, then the days of people like Ray darcy et all, getting 400k a year will be over

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

They should have called it "Loads coming up with Ciara Kelly".

Y'know, cos she says We've got loads coming up every few minutes.

I say we'll give it a go. The whole fiasco over George was distasteful in many ways, but so far I prefer this to his casual disregard for facts in favour of ranting about whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Who is this kid she has on reviewing the TV. We have all just being called racist (I think) a bit incoherent it was. Just knew she would start with the white girl dressed as a Muslim programme on Channel 4. The word racist was thrown around a lot. Don't know how you apply that to a religion.
    But hey, when you want to be one of the gang.
    I don't mean to be cruel but she has a lot to learn. She is obviously very young and has to start somewhere. Sounded young enough to be Dr Ciara's daughter.
    At least Hook had proper reviewers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

quintana76 wrote: »
    Who is this kid she has on reviewing the TV. We have all just being called racist (I think) a bit incoherent it was. Just knew she would start with the white girl dressed as a Muslim programme on Channel 4. The word racist was thrown around a lot. Don't know how you apply that to a religion.
    But hey, when you want to be one of the gang.
    I don't mean to be cruel but she has a lot to learn. She is obviously very young and has to start somewhere. Sounded young enough to be Dr Ciara's daughter.
    At least Hook had proper reviewers.

She was talking about the Muslim community having a problem with a white woman being browned up for the purposes of portraying a Muslim and the racism the woman faced in the immediate aftermath of the Manchester bombing which is when it was filmed. I don't know where you thought you personally were being called racist in that.

Surely if the intention was good in that it was an effort to improve the image of Muslims (God knows it is needed) they could have conceded. Shot themselves in the foot again it seems.
    The reaction after the Manchester bombs was sectarian not racist. There is a difference you know. (Equally wrong). I know the racist word is very useful and trendy for some but it should be used in the right context.
    I hate to say this but a religion is not a race. Ask Khalid Kelly. (Oh sorry you can't).
    The reviewer was throwing a non applicable word around like confetti. A bit more research and less pandering to peer popular tropes might have made the whole review sound less juvenile.
    Then again this could be a true reflection of the views of the new NewsTalk. If so it will soon be the past NewsTalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

quintana76 wrote: »
    Just knew she would start with the white girl dressed as a Muslim programme on Channel 4.

But she didn't, she talked about a few other shows first. And no point in talking about that Channel 4 show another week after its already started.

A+ for effort in looking to be offended by the liberals though.

She did not. It was the first item.

Senator Leyden seems to have got the same treatment as George Hook.
    Proper order, I say, how dare he express an opinion. :rolleyes:

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Senator Leyden seems to have got the same treatment as George Hook.
    Proper order, I say, how dare he express an opinion. :rolleyes:

What he said was stupid and people are calling him out on it. Are we suppose to treat everybody's opinion as sacrosanct even when it's completely ill-informed?

We're not rehashing the George Hook debate on this thread. The George Hook thread is closed.

This thread is called 'Lunchtime Live with Ciara Kelly'.

• Advertisement

That Karl Spain segment was absolutely dreadful - he's like the anti-matter of funny. And it's going to be a weekly spot? Jaysus…

Deathwish radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I know that Ciara Kelly has been a regular on George's show and doing fill in the last few weeks BUT every show at least deserves a few weeks to bed in, look at the teething errors and move on from there. So Ciara made a few mistakes on some of her interviews, SO WHAT!!! Did the TV reviewer say something you didn't like? Boo urns!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    They should have called it "Loads coming up with Ciara Kelly".

Y'know, cos she says We've got loads coming up every few minutes.
    much like Off The Ball always reminding us that they have a "busy show on the way" before going over to the newsroom :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Didn't hear it and unlikely to. Are they trying to make it a phone in show a la Da Lahv Lahn?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Is that Eamon Ryan? How much air time does this fella need. Constantly on newstalk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

She had a pretty good and strong opening monologue today.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Didn't hear it and unlikely to. Are they trying to make it a phone in show a la Da Lahv Lahn?

I heard that this was the way the show has been this week.

Just listened to the last 10 minutes to decide for myself and she had two callers on. I suppose they need to fill the airwaves with something.

I wont be listening again. Need to find a good podcast for 12pm-1pm.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    She had a pretty good and strong opening monologue today.

Monologue? It was more like a sermon. She gave the judge in the Humphries case a right lambasting as well as Eamon Dunphy for his comments.
    She also 'ordered' the DPP to appeal the leniency of the sentence.
    Maybe, in future such cases, judges could consult Ciara before passing sentence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭monstermag

BPKS wrote: »
    I heard that this was the way the show has been this week.

Just listened to the last 10 minutes to decide for myself and she had two callers on. I suppose they need to fill the airwaves with something.

I wont be listening again. Need to find a good podcast for 12pm-1pm.

Have u tried Joe Rogan's podcast? Don't know of any good Irish podcasts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement