Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social media influencers bragging ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭blairbear

I think it's quite clear how she sees herself is very different to how she looks. I don't feel comfortable discussing her body anymore to be honest. I'm not contributing towards anyone feeling that crap about themselves.

You're right, Lexie. We should all just drop it. Even if it's to be nice about her appearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

I do think she has done amazingly well dropping weight, and she was still very pretty before she lost it too. It was cool to see someone who wasn't teeny tiny on the Irish blogging scene. Fair play to her on how far she's come anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I don't like commenting on people's weight either, some of my friends are going through situations like this and it's so frustrating to watch.

No harm on complimenting someone when they're looking well, but it's easy to remove any reference to weight/ size from the comments........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

I'm more than happy for anything of mine to be deleted if anyone thinks it may have been upsetting or anything, wouldn't be my intention so please feel free to remove if needed :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

blairbear wrote: »
    You're right, Lexie. We should all just drop it. Even if it's to be nice about her appearance.

I'd agree with this, despite having opposite concerns there are situations where I dress so I don't look "like a skinny bitch" due to the reaction I'll get.

And when I do I don't get any reaction.

Failing to respond to her will have the same result.

Let her be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Just seeing her snaps there now and honestly I feel sorry for her. She said "she is no one to aspire to", my god, she's built a business, done amazingly well with her weight, she is exceptionally harsh on herself and she really doesn't need to be.

I felt so bad for her when she said that. Like another poster said, I hope she has good support over there, it sounds like she could really do with it now.

I'm not her biggest fan, but I hate to see or hear of anyone speak about themselves like that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

It's quite refreshing to see her stripped back, honest and up-front. She just needs to be less harsh on herself. Nobody's perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dizzyn

MUF's snaps this morning are just... wow. The emotion in her voice is heartbreaking. You really have to admire her strength to come on and speak about something so personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Haven't seen her snaps this morning but the ones last night about her hair really struck a cord with me. I, too, have huge hang ups about my hair. Its thin and wispy and I've been wearing some form of extensions for the last 11 years or so (I'm 26).

I also felt really sorry for her but found her so much more relatable than "Where should me and my new bf go for our 12th holiday this year?". Not saying I enjoy seeing her upset cause shes clearly in a low place and it isn't nice to see anyone like that, but even so, it showed a human side to her that very rarely comes out.

I agree with others that I hope she has good support. I'm normally of the opinion that her mum is a bit of a wagon but I think she could really do with spending a few days at home with her family now.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

I have a complete newfound respect for MUF now after watching her snaps. She was obviously going through something so personal which made her so self conscious for over a decade and I genuinely feel for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Wow. Huge respect for her for getting all that of her chest. Must have been so hard, you can see how hard it was for her! I even got upset watching! And as hard as it was I think she will be a new person because of it. A weight lifted of her shoulders. I think alot of her issues probably come from that one issue and now that she has talked about it hopefully all the other will go! I really think this will be the making of her and I hope she owns it!
    Good for you Joanne if your reading this, I wish I had the balls to be honest like that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Ah Jesus god love her. Not gonna lie I welled up watching her snaps. Fair play to her. She was the most honest I've ever seen her. I understand her more now and appreciate all she had to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

anna080 wrote: »
    Ah Jesus god love her. Not gonna lie I welled up watching her snaps. Fair play to her. She was the most honest I've ever seen her. I understand her more now and appreciate all she had to go through.

I was actually crying watching the snaps. I feel like this could be cathartic for her. She’s been holding that in for over a decade and she’s been hiding it from everyone. God love her

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 BasicBetty

i don't think it helps that people seem to come down hard on her on places like forums and that galz page, where they've had to ban any mention of her because people were so unbelievably weird with their comments.

No, people were giving out how much she is photoshopping her images and afaik she messaged the page threatening legal actions so all mention of her was banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

I am a fellow hair extension addict after I lost a load of hair when I had my daughter at 20. I was left with extremely thin hair and have been wearing some kind of hair extensions since ....for well over ten years. It's something I hide from everyone as I don't really like to discuss it with anyone and feel that people are a bit judgemental if they know you get extensions.

I really feel for Joanne being in the public eye I can only imagine how hard it is to conceal that. Her snaps really hit home with me and I don't have anywhere near the level of loss she seems to have. My heart went out to her and I cried watching those snaps as a lot of it hit home to me as well.

It just goes to show you never know what is going on behind closed doors no matter how many snaps you watch, how many insta stories you see, how many pictures you look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

Felt so sorry for Joanne and found her so much more relatable all followers want is honesty .. I think if from here she dials back on the photo shopping show her life as it is she will gain back the respect she had when she started out ,,
    It’s sad because she was becoming a joke to people due to the filtering pretending everything was perfect abd threatening legal action for the least thing ..
    Nice to see a different side to her I hope she realises how brave she’s been

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

BasicBetty wrote: »
    No, people were giving out how much she is photoshopping her images and afaik she messaged the page threatening legal actions so all mention of her was banned.

There was more than that. Comments on her lips was happening when they banned it altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

That gals who snap are just a group of very unhappy women bullying some women and idolising certain ones. It's fine to dissect some women's looks partners family lifestyle etc but absolute war if you so much as disagree with the likes of something Claire balding said. God forbid you said you didn't find her funny but think someone else is ugly? That's ok

• Advertisement

My biggest problem with Jo used to be the photoshopping and altering images- but I see her in a new light now and I kind of get it. When you break it down she's actually a really sweet girl. There are other bloggers out there who create controversy for content, but she stays out of this and I don't think I've ever heard her say a bad word about anyone. In a way she has been her own worst enemy but sure look we all have our ways of dealing with things. She seems really naive. I hope she feels a weight lifted and can start being herself more because I saw the real her this morning and she was absolutely lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

My biggest problem with Jo used to be the photoshopping and altering images- but I see her in a new light now and I kind of get it. When you break it down she's actually a really sweet girl. There are other bloggers out there who create controversy for content, but she stays out of this and I don't think I've ever heard her say a bad word about anyone. In a way she has been her own worst enemy but sure look we all have our ways of dealing with things. She seems really naive. I hope she feels a weight lifted and can start being herself more because I saw the real her this morning and she was absolutely lovely.

Genuine question but why has it taken a breakdown from the girl to see that?

I wouldn't be a big fan but have always thought she comes across very sweet. It's just a pity the snaps this morning have made people realise this. Yes she photo shops but I've always thought she comes across real on SC, she doesn't use filters all the time.

Is this what makes people seem real to others? Can people not just be nice in general without having to show such a vulnerable side?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

I followed her from the beginning used to love her until all this no disclosure and filtering ,threatening legal action telling followers to take pics they put up down .. today I hope is the start of the old Joanne honest and relatable

frogstar wrote: »
    Genuine question but why had it taken a breakdown from the girl to see that?

I wouldn't be a big fan but have always thought she comes across very sweet. It's just a pity the snaps this morning have made people realise this. Yes he photo shops but I've always thought she comes across real on SC, she doesn't use filters all the time.

Is this what makes people seem real to others? Can people not just be nice on general?

It has taken this morning to make me understand certain behaviours of hers and decisions she makes. My post probably didn't get that across. I've always said she was decent and a sweetheart.

No it does. I'm just a little surprised that everyone now seems to have a different opinion on her. I suppose we all want to relate and maybe this it what it took

Like another poster said I didn't realise how common female hair loss is and shocked at how many have been getting extensions for over 10years. I really only thought extensions took off in the last three years. Seems to be a big lack of awareness out there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I think she was very brave and honest what she did last night and this morning. It certainly explains a lot about her body issues and the overuse of filters.

That said, I honestly don't think she should have opened up like that. Any perceived slight (and to be honest she seems to be hyper sensitive about some comments and I'm not talk about obviously hateful or trollish comments) might set her back a good bit. I'm afraid that she might be using Paul too much as a crutch. She mentioned that someone sent her a message that Paul was just using her for followers (which I think is a fair comment as that is how it kinda comes across at times) but that she heavily relies on him to quietly tell her or text her if something is out of place. It can be a fine line between helpful and reliant.

Any way, I've never ever noticed anything about her hair other than it looks really nice and healthy looking. I was so happy when she changed back from blonde to brunette as it really suits her.

I really hope she's getting professional help and I wish her the very best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Poor girl I was genuinely sad watching her this morning. She's a strong girl. Just hope she has good people around her to take care of her

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I wouldn't say it has changed my opinion of her but I do relate and understand her on a better level than before. I now understand why she edits and filters everything, why she denied having her lips done and using sunbeds, and why she's so defensive.

As I said before I also have very poor quality hair, it wasn't caused by illness so I suppose I'm lucky in that sense but it has been a big source of insecurity over the years. I started with clip in rows of extensions when I was 15, I actually got them just to wear to a disco but within a couple of weeks I wouldn't leave my bedroom without them. I've had bonded extensions for the last 4 years, I keep saying I'll take a few months break after my next set and leave my hair natural but as soon as I have them out, I end up getting them back in the same day.
    I can't go swimming, I can't get head massages, and it costs me a fortune (no freebies here, circa €800 twice a year) but its worth it for my confidence.

I didn't enjoy seeing her so upset but I did empathise with her on a level I never have before. It was also so lovely to see her without filters, she really doesn't need them, she has a lovely face.
    Her "curated content" of heavily edited posed photos showing a body I couldn't achieve in my wildest dreams, and going on holidays every other week showed a lifestyle that I couldn't connect with.

She is so hard on herself. I still don't agree with her lack of disclosure and selling of gifted items, as nice as she made Paul sound on her story this morning I still think she over features him. But if she showed more "real talk" like this morning I think a lot of people who have been critical of her won't be able to help themselves but to warm to her. I know I did this morning. It'll benefit her in the long run, both mentally and professionally.

• Advertisement

I don't think it's fair for anyone to message her to say paul is using her

As they say with every relationship, nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors.

Thats just mean to send the girl a message like that

Advertisement