Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social media influencers bragging ?

Options
  • 13-09-2017 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

I've just watched Rosie connelly's Snapchat for about 10 minutes she went on about how amazing her new rented home is and I don't mean a normal we love it it's perfect for us like how the area is the house, the security it came across a bit like bragging.
    it got me thinking after watching so sue me showing tours of the villa she is in ect is it just me that thinks by showing all this they are becoming un relatable to their followers like this is what I have and this is what I get free like cars ect in recent weeks I feel a certain few bloggers are trying to out do each other in the last few weeks
    It's probably just me lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

You're definitely right about the competing with each other. Ive noticed it too in the last few weeks. Its no cooincidence that Pippa moves into a fab new house, then you see Sue talking about building out of the blue and now we have Rosie...
    In terms of the bragging, I suppose they are trying to sell a lifestyle and be inspirational. I know personally, I'd rather have something inspirational than someone claiming to be an influencer on Snapchat in their pjs with no make up, moaning about being tired despite doing sweet FA. I don't find that relatable in the slightest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

Oh guys, you are so right. I've gone off sooooo many of them lately, it seems to be 'look what I have', 'look what I can afford'.... It just doesn't interest me at all. IMO, it's like sitting watching someone open presents, there is no benefit in it to you or me. There is definitely a lot of competition with each other, which is weird as for the likes of cars etc, they are only being sponsored if they are the current 'hot' blogger. I don't find that any of the showy, flashiness to be inspirational at all, lots of them are living cookie cutter lifestyles, and it seems to me that all they care about is maintaining this perfect image. Now, obviously people want to present the best version of themselves on social media, but when all I see from someone is how they crave material things, it's so off putting. Of course it is their platform to share what they want, but I think they are going to alienate a lot of their viewers if they keep it up. Also, this gravy train isnt going to last forever, when they get older and newer faces hit the scene, where do they think they freebies and money will come from? I sound like an auld one, but I really hate how social media influencers in Ireland are making the need for excess the norm, lots of them treat clothes and shoes etc like throw away items, and it just seems so wasteful. One that comes to mind seems to shop every single day, and you'd really wonder how she gets any joy from it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Happy for Rosie but if she thinks anyone cares half as much that she's moving as she does she's severely overestimated her importance in normal people's daily lives. I mean grand you're moving whoop-de-doo. How is this meant to be interesting for your followers? We are not on the journey with you, as you like to say.
    That is just cringey bollox excuse my Francais.
    She made it sound like she's moving into a manor or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

anna080 wrote: »
    Happy for Rosie but if she thinks anyone cares half as much that she's moving as she does she's severely overestimated her importance in normal people's daily lives. I mean grand you're moving whoop-de-doo. How is this meant to be interesting for your followers? We are not on the journey with you, as you like to say.
    That is just cringey bollox excuse my Francais.
    She made it sound like she's moving into a manor or something.

Yea it was so over the top i thought it was a bit insensitive considering her stepson is getting a heart operation on Monday but each to their own i suppose

Cria wrote: »
    Yea it was so over the top i thought it was a bit insensitive considering her stepson is getting a heart operation on Monday but each to their own i suppose

Awh really, how do you know?

• Advertisement

To me it seems the for want of a better word bragging is more for other bloggers to see rather than their followers although it will alienate their followers who can relate to these lifestyles give me the ones who show the good with the bad

Sorry, I havent seen her snaps today, but was her big announcement that she's moving... Into a rented house?? Ok.... so what? Is she serious thinking this is a big announcement?? She needs to get a grip, bit too big for her Zara boots I think.

Ray37 wrote: »
    Sorry, I havent seen her snaps today, but was her big announcement that she's moving... Into a rented house?? Ok.... so what? Is she serious thinking this is a big announcement?? She needs to get a grip, bit too big for her Zara boots I think.

You need to watch it to believe it.

I'm watching now. 'Very exclusive', 'dream home', and she's going to vlog it? She really has a high opinion of herself.... If this is meant to be big news, she mustn't have an awful lot going on.

Awh really, how do you know?

The child's mother is a beauty blogger she has her own Snapchat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

I've gone off Rosie since her trip to Paris and she bought the Givenchy bag. She dropped over €700 on the bag and couldn't pronounce Givenchy right. I'm going to sound shallow but if you loved a brand and wanted to drop that kinda cash on a bag you'd know how to pronounce the designer name right. I felt she was bragging about how much she spent on a bag, she even showed the receipt on instagram, -it just screamed look at all the money I spent on this bag.

She said people snapped her asking if Ed Sheeran was playing her wedding, or if she was going to be on the cover of OK... Please God tell me the people who ask this stuff are taking the piss out of her?? They cannot be serious.

The snaps went on for the whole day it's a rented house really no need to go on as much as she did

She said people snapped her asking if Ed Sheeran was playing her wedding, or if she was going to be on the cover of OK... Please God tell me the people who ask this stuff are taking the piss out of her?? They cannot be serious.

That is definitely people being sarcastic nobody would think ok magazine would pay her for the rights to her wedding lol

I'm a bit embarrassed for her tbh.... She's moving from one rented house to another, no shade about renting (I live in a rented place too), but it's not a big deal at all like. People do this every single day.

wendydoll wrote: »
    I've gone off Rosie since her trip to Paris and she bought the Givenchy bag. She dropped over €700 on the bag and couldn't pronounce Givenchy right. I'm going to sound shallow but if you loved a brand and wanted to drop that kinda cash on a bag you'd know how to pronounce the designer name right. I felt she was bragging about how much she spent on a bag, she even showed the receipt on instagram, -it just screamed look at all the money I spent on this bag.

Stop could she really not pronounce it

@ Cria, I bloody hope so! You never know with some of their deranged fans, they think the sun shines out of their behinds

The child's mother is a beauty blogger she has her own Snapchat

What's her snap name? I had no idea

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

So sue me is the queen of tack. The Louis Vuitton luggage reminds me of the Duke in Layer Cake with the yellow range rover. And the YSL heels. She'd never buy anything understated but still expensive but tries to make a €3 profit on Penneys jeans she didn't even buy.

Dressing Dyl the admin assistant in Gucci shoes with no socks. It's all about showing off a lifestyle for Instagram. But since it's not exactly a permanent job I wonder what they'll be like in 5 or 10 years.

@ Cria, I bloody hope so! You never know with some of their deranged fans, they think the sun shines out of their behinds[/quot

I know some of them have fanatical followers that fall for any old crap they say

• Advertisement

It KILLS me how she can't pronounce it right.

What's her snap name? I had no idea

Yea I found her when she publicly commented on the article Rosie was featured in about her and her partner having a great relationship with her stepson the mother commented on the post that the article was incorrect that they have no relationship with him for months he is a gorgeous child
    Her snap handle is stephaniemcmakeup she is a lovely girl

So sue me is the queen of tack. The Louis Vuitton luggage reminds me of the Duke in Layer Cake with the yellow range rover. And the YSL heels. She'd never buy anything understated but still expensive but tries to make a €3 profit on Penneys jeans she didn't even buy.

Dressing Dyl the admin assistant in Gucci shoes with no socks. It's all about showing off a lifestyle for Instagram. But since it's not exactly a permanent job I wonder what they'll be like in 5 or 10 years.
    That was awful selling them penneys jeans for a profit how desperate for money is she

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

I had to google it because I thought I was saying it wrong. She says is more like "giv-von-shee" rather than "jee-von-shee". I'm not saying everyone needs to know how to pronounce French names but come on, they pronounce it on their givenchy perfume ads every year on the run up to Christmas especially. and you just dropped the small fortune on a small bag, at least get the name right.

I think she also use to pronounce the "t" in Yves Saint Laurent as well.

I had to google it because I thought I was saying it wrong. She says is more like "giv-von-shee" rather than "jee-von-shee". I'm not saying everyone knows how to pronounce French names but come on, they pronounce it on their givenchy perfume ads every year on the run up to Christmas especially.

Stop it I can't afford either but I can pronounce both because of the ads lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

It's just embarrassing how society has made these types of people famous. These social media people are only showing the 'fabulous' side to their lives

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

EPAndlee wrote: »
    It's just embarrassing how society has made these types of people famous. These social media people are only showing the 'fabulous' side to their lives

As opposed to actors etc?

I love these threads. :D
    It takes me a while to figure out who everyone is talking about, and not being on Facebook, twitter, snapchat or instagram it is very hard to follow.
    instagram lets me see some pictures and twitter makes zero sense to me for these. But it is interesting to read it it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Suckit wrote: »
    As opposed to actors etc?

I love these threads. :D
    It takes me a while to figure out who everyone is talking about, and not being on Facebook, twitter, snapchat or instagram it is very hard to follow.
    instagram lets me see some pictures and twitter makes zero sense to me for these. But it is interesting to read it it all.

Me too! On FB, not the others and don't follow any of these but the threads are fascinatinf

I love when they mispronounce brands and names! Its their job to know these things.
    I agree, no need to say how much it was, if people want to find out they can but posting receipts....no class

• Advertisement

I had to google it because I thought I was saying it wrong. She says is more like "giv-von-shee" rather than "jee-von-shee". I'm not saying everyone knows how to pronounce French names but come on, they pronounce it on their givenchy perfume ads every year on the run up to Christmas especially.

Stop it I can't afford either but I can pronounce both because of the ads lol
    SoSue does it all the time and it honestly cracks me up. Google the bloody brand and there is bound to be a video or something online where the name is mentioned so you know.
    She pronounced Nuit (French for night, as in night cream) as NEWW-IT and it killed me. Like I get she might not speak French but she is a beauty blogger and used to be a beautician, and a lot of the major skincare brands (Clarins, Lancome etc) are French so she should have known this. God knows they go to enough events/get enough PR post from these companies to have learned how the products are pronounced.

Its lack of effort and research in all honesty a lack of respect for the brand itself and shows them up. Imagine working in the industry for real and walking into Harpers Bizarre or Vogue and saying look at this NEEWW-IT cream we should feature. You'd be laughed out of the place.

Advertisement