Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social media influencers bragging ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

I had to skip half of it, I couldn't watch the poor woman cry.

I dont think shes in a good place right now. Its a very hard thing to admit to an audience of thousands. I know hair can be a very hurtful subject be it loss/Excessive. I have excessive hair growth and I wouldn't be able to share something like that with such a large group of people.

People give out that she's unrelatable and dishonest and when she gives you the truth it's still not good enough.

I hope she feels better and can find peace with it I really do.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭scarbouro

People give out that she's unrelatable and dishonest and when she gives you the truth it's still not good enough.

That yesterday to me, wasn't relatable at all. That is the other extreme. Crying down the phone in floods of tears was her having a breakdown. We're talking about being relatable on a daily basis, showing normal daily life and emotions. When people talk about her being dishonest, they're talking about things she denies down to the ground when they're not true, selling free items at a mark up or flogging products one month saying they're the best thing since sliced bread and collaborating with a completely different company the next and saying the exact same thing... That's dishonesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭blairbear

Being in floods of tears over something that really upsets you is not a "breakdown". I can be that upset over something personal then pull myself back together and haul myself into work etc. I'm a crier though. She is too. It was relatable for many followers.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭scarbouro

blairbear wrote: »
    Being in floods of tears over something that really upsets you is not a "breakdown". I can be that upset over something personal then pull myself back together and haul myself into work etc. I'm a crier though. She is too. It was relatable for many followers.

I would class it as a breakdown. The definition of a breakdown is to lose control of one's emotions, often sadness, especially after trying not to or after an intense buildup.

But anyway, I'm assuming you're not sitting in front of your phone crying to thousands of people when something upsets you. We all get upset and cry and I know she was explaining her hair loss but I am still not convinced as to why she did it now. As I have said already, I find Joanne very contrived. I can totally understand why she would be extremely upset about what she has gone through but it seems a bit suss as to why she felt the need to do it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    That's your opinion. As I said, I lost the majority of my hair a few years back so I know what it feels like.

Losing a child or having a miscarriage, to me is worse than losing your hair. At least you can cover up a hair loss.

You know what- I really don't think this comment deserves to be let go. It's really unfair.
    It's awful that you lost your hair a few years ago, but you know what differentiates you from Joanne? Yours came back. Hers didn't. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't be sat there pouring her heart out had she regained the loss. It's clearly something she's still traumatised over. And while sorry for what you went through- please don't use your experience of it as a barometer for how everyone else should react.

My sister miscarried a few weeks ago. Initially she was devastated. She had already found out the sex and had bought a few bits. But you know what? She's okay now. Still sad yes- but she's moving on with her life and already talking about planning for the next one. And while she was in a deep depression for a few weeks, she's coping now and getting on with life. It's not something she'll mourn over for the rest of her life, and she's not constantly reminded of the loss every time she looks in a mirror.

When my mam got cancer, she said and still says that losing her hair was worse than the diagnosis itself. There she was at 50 years old with long thick hair- and suddenly it was falling out in clumps. The illness she could cope with- the drugs were taking care of that. But the hair loss was uncontrollable and something external and physical that identified her as a sick person. She has been on a myriad of treatments since and the first question she asks her oncologist every time is "will this one make my hair fall out". It traumatised her and she completely lost her identity over it.

So again- sorry for dragging back up your comment but I thought it was too unfair to let go. It's clear you really don't like Joanne and are using this situation to fuel your dislike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

anna080 wrote: »
    You know what- I really don't think this comment deserves to be let go. It's really unfair.
    It's awful that you lost your hair a few years ago, but you know what differentiates you from Joanne? Yours came back. Hers didn't. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't be sat there pouring her heart out had she regained the loss. It's clearly something she's still traumatised over. And while sorry for what you went through- please don't use your experience of it as a barometer for how everyone else should react.

Edit: I'm actually not going to get into this but you're wrong in assuming my hair grew back.

Nice assumption you've made there that my hair grew back. It didn't btw.

Not half as bad as the assumptions you've made on the behalf of other women.

Not half as bad as the assumptions you've made on the behalf of other women.

I don't speak for all women. I never claimed to. All I said was that in my opinion there are worse things women can go through. I'm sure she's traumatised that she lost her hair. My issue is more with the fact that this has come to light now, right after someone else was praised for being honest.

Everything Joanne does seems calculated and planned. And as I already said, I feel very sorry for her that she thinks people expect her to be perfect all the time. Nobody expects it and it's what makes her unrelatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

My mum said the loss of control over her body and hair (her body swelled because of the steroids) was worse than fighting the cancer. Obviously getting better was her priority but I remember her crying about how she was changing dramatically despite feeling reasonably ok most of the time (apart from initially after each chemo treatment) but her body changed and it being nothing to do with what she herself was doing.

I do hope Joanne is ok, given she's about to do this tour, and that she's strong enough to be out in public with people maybe taking photos etc that she'll have no control over. Maybe this was something she needed to do in order to break through this insecurity about her entire appearance she seems to have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

I hate when people try to belittle people’s emotions by saying oh well, it could be worse. It really doesn’t help anyone and contributes towards why people have such crap mental health.

• Advertisement

I hate when people try to belittle people’s emotions by saying oh well, it could be worse. It really doesn’t help anyone and contributes towards why people have such crap mental health.

I'm sorry I've upset you all so much with my comment. Wasn't my intention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Lead

I think when people say that they’re trying to let that person see that they have good things going on too and to try not focus on the bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

Yes, not specifically aimed at anyone in this thread but I hate when I see responses to you giving out about something that yes, seems trivial, such as "oh there are people dying, you have clearly nothing to be worrying about" etc. You know nothing about this person's life and I have yet to meet a person who has never had a whinge or a moan about something stupid or trivial to someone else.

Lead wrote: »
    I think when people say that they’re trying to let that person see that they have good things going on too and to try not focus on the bad.

It wasn't phrased in that way though. It had sour intentions.
    Would you say to someone depressed- "cheer up love it's not like you've had a miscarriage or anything"..
    Why should we measure someone's trauma by other bad things that could have but didn't happen to them?

I just think even if MUF only spoke out about this because she seen the response to Rosie’s post, does that really matter. Maybe people will see the positive reactions to both Rosie and MUF and it will encourage them to speak out about things that are upsetting for them. The more we get people to speak about their emotions, the better IMO.

Also maybe the positive support she seems to be getting from Paul has helped her speak out about it?

It wasn't phrased in that way though. It had sour intentions.
    Would you say to someone depressed- "cheer up love it's not like you've had a miscarriage or anything"..
    Why should we measure someone's trauma by other bad things that could have but didn't happen to them?

Obviously not. But someone crying one morning does not make them depressed. And i hate people throwing the depression status around for a moment of sadness.

I'm guilty of telling people "it could be worse, you could be dead" in a joking manner just to try take their mind off whatever it is that's getting them down.

SB gave her opinion on the issue. I dont feel her comments should be attacked or brought up a day later after you already commented on her post!

I just think even if MUF only spoke out about this because she seen the response to Rosie’s post, does that really matter. Maybe people will see the positive reactions to both Rosie and MUF and it will encourage them to speak out about things that are upsetting for them. The more we get people to speak about their emotions, the better IMO.

Also maybe the positive support she seems to be getting from Paul has helped her speak out about it?

Exactly. Maybe seeing Rosie's positive reaction made her feel like it's okay to speak out and try and normalise these things. We all get inspired from moments like that. If she really was such an attention seeker and calculated as some people would have you believe- surely she'd have cashed in on and manipulated this situation years ago? She didn't. Personally I like to think people are genuine in moments like this and not view them through goggles of cynicism.

Obviously not. But someone crying one morning does not make them depressed. And i hate people throwing the depression status around for a moment of sadness.

I'm guilty of telling people "it could be worse, you could be dead" in a joking manner just to try take their mind off whatever it is that's getting them down.

SB gave her opinion on the issue. I dont feel her comments should be attacked or brought up a day later after you already commented on her post!

Eh- I never said she was depressed. My comment was that you wouldn't say it to a depressed person so don't say it to anyone else either.
    I'm not attacking her comments. She said something I thought was unfair and was just glossed over. When you post something online you should be sure you want it out there for people to read or else don't be surprised when people come and pick it apart for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Sure Anna also gave "her opinion", no need to attack Anna!

I think it's fair enough to stand up for someone who's telling people she's having a hard time, nothing wrong with showing a bit of empathy and compassion in this day and age....

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭blairbear

Anna wasn't saying Joanne was depressed. She asked if you would say that to a depressed person, to expand on and illustrate her point.

I am glad that comment from yesterday was brought up again.

We could have equally commented on SB's post saying, "well, your whole family being killed in a house fire is worse! The people in Aleppo/Mexico etc have it worse!" But that would be cruel and irrelevant.

• Advertisement

Eh- I never said she was depressed. My comment was that you wouldn't say it to a depressed person so don't say it to anyone else either.
    I'm not attacking her comments. She said something I thought was unfair and was just glossed over. When you post something online you should be sure you want it out there for people to read or else don't be surprised when people come and pick it apart for what it is.

You replied to her comments yesterday. Now you want to bring up her comment again today. Let it go, Anna. It's coming across as being very bitchy towards another poster.

You replied to her comments yesterday. Now you want to bring up her comment again today. Let it go, Anna. It's coming across as being very bitchy towards another poster.

If you have a problem with what i said then report my posts and don't try to police my opinion, thanks.

Will do. Thanks.

Didn't know there was a time limit here where we could comment and expand on someone's points :rolleyes:

I'm sorry I've upset you all so much with my comment. Wasn't my intention.

I appreciate your apology SB.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

If she put it in a book Fairy Tales part 2 and said go buy my book and read about my trauma or even put it in a blog post you may have an argument for it being calculating, but saying it on snapchat is not.

She turned of her snaps for most of the day yesterday due to the outpouring of reaction. I don't think she did it to invoke a poor dear reaction, but maybe to explain why she does things the way she does.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

I don't think anyone needs to apologise! Everyone is entitled to their opinion! This subject is just very emotional I think. Because it has effected some people here they might feel more strongly. Of course there are worse things then loosing your hair, but if your going through it, at that moment and time there probably is nothing worse!
    It did float into my mind that she was just doing it for attention and saw the response Rosie got when I watched the first snap. The timing wasn't great in that way but after watching all the snaps I do think it was genuine and not planned. It's obviously just something that really really affects her!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

I'm not agreeing with what some people said but I still don't think they need to apologise! Sure I disagreed with it in my post a few pages back! And those comments are what made me write all I wrote! But it's their opinions and they shouldn't have to apoligise!

• Advertisement

idunno78 wrote: »
    I'm not agreeing with what some people said but I still don't think they need to apologise! Sure I disagreed with it in my post a few pages back! And those comments are what made me write all I wrote! But it's their opinions and they shouldn't have to apoligise!

I don’t think people should have to be sorry for their opinions but I did appreciate that SB said sorry if their comments/opinion upset some people.

Advertisement