Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social media influencers bragging ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I think it all depends on how it was worded. If it was a general "your boyfriend is a user" that is mean and nasty. However if it was out of worry that her boyfriend is heavily featured in her social media and it's not reciprocated, may be it was meant with good intentions and meant as feedback. I know I've stop checking her snaps because he was in them so much and I don't read the Instagram pics that feature him. Her brand is her - she is the Makeup Fairy. It's the same with Grace, I ditched her snapchat because of all the Sienna snaps.

BTW, I'd never send any unsolicited messages to bloggers about this topic. I just quietly slip away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭mel123

I have previously not been her biggest fan, nor will i be after her snaps today, but my opinion of her has changed dramatically.
    Fair f***ing play to her. I believe every single word she said, and now we know why Joanne is so self conscious, why she edits all her photos, why we rarely see her in a no makeup no filter post. She is a vulnerable woman with hangups and insecurities like many of us. I feel really sorry for her losing her hair, for a woman its a terrible terrible thing (and man of course, but we wont go there).
    What she said about Paul, i believe 100%, and i dont agree with another poster before me saying she shouldnt lean on him for it/because of it. Is that not what your partner is for? What a guy if thats what he does for her, because he knows its her biggest weakness/fear (the whole texting or subtly fixing her hair). And his reaction when she told him, more or less 'stop, ill love you no matter what, wig and all). To me, thats love right there. My opinion of him has also changed after hearing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

Yeah I really felt for her this morning, I think everyone can relate in some way to her with insecurities.

In relation to Paul, I don’t think he is using her just for followers, I think that’s excessive considering she doesn’t seem to be even well known in the UK. I think he over uses her social media because maybe he sees hers as being more personal. It isn’t done visa versa because his following is probably just fitness related. That being said, I think they need to see that he needs to reign it in. I personally don’t watch her snaps if I think he is going to start a rant etc. He is harming her business IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

mel123 wrote: »
    I have previously not been her biggest fan, nor will i be after her snaps today, but my opinion of her has changed dramatically.
    Fair f***ing play to her. I believe every single word she said, and now we know why Joanne is so self conscious, why she edits all her photos, why we rarely see her in a no makeup no filter post. She is a vulnerable woman with hangups and insecurities like many of us. I feel really sorry for her losing her hair, for a woman its a terrible terrible thing (and man of course, but we wont go there).
    What she said about Paul, i believe 100%, and i dont agree with another poster before me saying she shouldnt lean on him for it/because of it. Is that not what your partner is for? What a guy if thats what he does for her, because he knows its her biggest weakness/fear (the whole texting or subtly fixing her hair). And his reaction when she told him, more or less 'stop, ill love you no matter what, wig and all). To me, thats love right there. My opinion of him has also changed after hearing that.
    I wasn't saying she shouldn't lean on him but I worry that she'll become too reliant on him because she comes across as extremely vulnerable.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

As much as I might give out here about some, I'd never go out of my way to send one of them a nasty or mean message. If I have an issue about the whole #ad thing, I report it to the ASAI

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I'm by no means heartless and don't like to see anyone upset but my opinion hasn't changed on her.

I don't find her at all relatable. She started off by asking people not to screenshot her.
    Sorry, what?

Firstly yes it's bizarre to screenshot anyone but by asking people not to you're making out like you're some celebrity who doesn't want to be papped, which in turn makes you look up yourself.

Her handle is 'themakeupfairy' yet I rarely see any makeup related posts; it's all about her fella and her fitness and her ability to afford things most people can't and showing off.

She is the only Snapchatter I am aware of who is so unrelatable and distant from people.
    She loves to show people all the praising messages and sorry but that's narcisstic and it's a quality I can't stand in a person.

I also think it's sad that she can't be upfront and honest with her followers regarding her obvious lip enhancements.

So yeah, sorry to hear she was upset but it won't change my opinion on her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

To Ben fair to her she gets screen shot a lot when she's ranting or upset and those photos are uploaded and used to laugh at her on online groups, I've seen it happen. I thought it was sad she'd have to address grown ups not to use this moment to mock her online. Some things shouldn't need to be said. That's one of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    I must be the only one who rolled their eyes at her snaps this morning about her hair. It just seems too convenient that she's talking about this now after Rosie bore all on her snapchat and got high praise for it.

As someone who lost most of their hair a few years back and understands the damage it can have on your self-confidence - I don't think it's the worst thing a woman can go through.

I couldn't disagree more. Just because women go through worse it doesn't discredit or devalue her experience. I really felt for her. I couldn't imagine rolling my eyes at someone who opened up so well about something they're clearly struggling with.

That's your opinion. As I said, I lost the majority of my hair a few years back so I know what it feels like.

Losing a child or having a miscarriage, to me is worse than losing your hair. At least you can cover up a hair loss.

Lots of situations effect people differently! I don't know what more you want from the girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dizzyn

I think she was so so brave. Fair play to her. For most of us its a given that we have our hair, I honestly don't know what I'd do if I lost mine. It's such a big part of you, and has a huge amount to do with how you feel about yourself.

She did amazingly well and I for one wouldn't want to be screenshotted either. It's seems like to some people she's not a real person and can never have real emotions or real issues. I will raise my hand and say I've given put about her before but this takes serious courage.

We all have insecurities that eat away at us. This has really made me see her in a new light. I think she deserves to be applauded for her courage. It can't be easy to go through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

I have a long term illness and over the Last few years it's become worse (think along line of transplant). But I was thinking this morning which would I prefer this or losing my hair and I honestly couldn't choose. If I really had to had to I prob would pick loosing my hair. But that I think i would be just as terrible! A couple of years ago I got a little bald patch on my head, tiny, the size of the tip of my finger. But it was the worst thing ever I was so upset, petrified that I was going to loose more. I didn't and it grew back!

I highly doubt they were crocodile tears. They were genuine. And yea maybe she did post it because Rosie posted about her skin. Maybe seeing Rosie do that make her see she could do it to? Or maybe she is just fed up of people talking **** about her and doing this might see her in a different light? God only knows why she told us all. It still happened her and it's her story which obviously causes her a lot of problems!

I always,even when I'm so sick I can't get out of the bed, believe there is always someone worse out there for you! BUT at the same times it's all relative! One spot for me is terrible but to someone else having one spot might be amazing cos there used to having full on acne! To her her hair is a big deal might not be to some people but that's the way it is!!

Anyhow I don't really know where I'm going with this so il stop by little rant now!

Oh just to add I agree with whoever posted saying it won't change there opinion on her. I kind of agree. I will see her in a new light and have more understanding of her but don't agree with some things she does! Same as if sue or another blogger came out with something so emotional! I'm sure she wouldn't want that either! As in want pity or people to feel sorry for her! I hate that and people that act like that's towArds me in instantly dislike!!! Maybe that partly why she kept so quiet for so long. People look at you different when your 'sick'! Some people!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭scarbouro

I must be the only one who rolled their eyes at her snaps this morning about her hair. It just seems too convenient that she's talking about this now after Rosie bore all on her snapchat and got high praise for it.

I thought I was going to be the only one who thought this and didn't post incase of backlash.
    Don't get me wrong, I can only imagine how horrendous it is to lose your hair and the girl was obviously very upset about it but the whole timing of it was strange. Personally, I feel she jumped on the pity wagon after seeing how praised Rosie was for opening up about her acne in the media ect. I find Joanne very contrived. There's always a reason for a particular post, rant, photo ect. My feelings haven't changed about her. I also think she's extremely narcissistic and probably the worst out of the many fashion bloggers out there.

I'm not heartless, I do feel sorry for the girl and hope she finds herself in a better place soon. But deep down I just find it very coincidental that she comes out with this all now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I did feel for her when she said 'Being in this industry people expect you to look perfect all the time'. Part of her problem is she tries to be perfect all the time when it's just not realistic. Everyone has off days. Nobody would care if she had a spot on her face or if she wore the same outfit twice. Or am I being naive, would they?

Exactly. I think that's part of So Sue Me's charm (I don't really follow her but people seem to like her?) that she doesn't give a sh!te, dominos in bed, no make up, joining the gym and quiting over and over. People relate to that...

I think that's why I can't relate to the MUF, she's just extremely false in everything she does. She tries to portray this wonderful life, when realistically it doesn't work like that. She needs to take the mask off and stop pretending life is all about which YSL bag you're going to purchase next. I do like people who show you the normal moments in life, the no make up days, the off days ect. I know thats what she was trying to do today but I found it all very forced, probably because she never shows the real Joanne. It must be terrible living your life to these super high expectations.

scarbouro wrote: »
    I think that's why I can't relate to the MUF, she's just extremely false in everything she does. She tries to portray this wonderful life, when realistically it doesn't work like that. She needs to take the mask off and stop pretending life is all about which YSL bag you're going to purchase next. I do like people who show you the normal moments in life, the no make up days, the off days ect. I know thats what she was trying to do today but I found it all very forced, probably because she never shows the real Joanne. It must be terrible living your life to these super high expectations.

I understand her need to want to control everything around her when something traumatic happened to her that was so out of her control. It's a way of trying to crawl back some power for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

I was wondering had she taken note of how she has been discussed online lately, and decided to share this? As in the overly photoshopped pics, the constant sharing of the BF... Kind of pretending everything is so perfect? I was thinking maybe she has realized that people don't want to see unrealistic pictures and fasleness, any maybe that inspired her to open up about this? She's been discussed on a few threads, and lots of people have felt the same way about her. I wouldn't count myself as a fan, but for her own sake and career maybe it's a good thing if she pays attention to what her followers want/don't want to see. Hoping this comment makes sense, I'm a bit hungover today!

Yes and I get why she likes to control things to a point but She enhances everything in photos, not just her hair which is what she has the hang up about. She paints an unrealistic picture of herself and has to try keep up with that false image. There are plenty of bloggers out there with their own issues and hardships. At the end of the day, I just feel it was all a bit coincidental that she decides to come out with all this now.

I think it had been building up for a while. It didn't just come from nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭blairbear

Only just got to watch Joanne's snaps now after work.

My heart is absolutely broken for her. The poor, poor girl. I don't know how anyone can accuse her of being calculating or choosing a convenient time to reveal this. Maybe she was inspired by Rosie and her honesty about her skin. Maybe she felt she was being misunderstood on threads like this. Whatever reason she had, those snaps were completely sincere and from the very core of her heart. I do feel totally differently about her now.

I really admire her honesty. I couldn't do it. I am a great one for pretending everything is okay, all the time. I understand her intense need to put a positive slant on her life at all times. She's a brave girl.

Losing your hair as a woman is torturous. Yes, there are other traumas one can suffer, as a poster pointed out, but one hardship does not negate another.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

blairbear wrote:
    Losing your hair as a woman is torturous. Yes, there are other traumas one can suffer, as a poster pointed out, but one hardship does not negate another.

Completely agree 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

As someone said earlier, the reason MUF gets so much negative feedback is because she is so unrelatable, compared to other bloggers.

I don't follow SoSueMe at all but someone pointed out that she'll be seen eating a pizza or chilling out make-up free and generally being normal and herself.

MUF is constantly posing and pouting and editing and touching up and photoshopping her pictures and re-posting messages from people praising her, and showing off handbags and talking about expensive sheets and showing everyone how fit and healthy she is and blah blah blah.

How on Earth is she relatable to her audience?

It smacks of egotism and narcissism and I already said I AM sorry she's had a rough day and is upset; I genuinely don't wish sadness on anyone but the trouble with her (and FBG, by the way) is they never listen to their followers and what they like and don't like.

Tignam, for example, actually asked people what content they wanted to see on her Snapchat.
    Rosie Connolly asks the same frequently.
    It's what they should be doing.

So, as the thread name suggests; the MUF is guilty of doing the most bragging and if today has taught her anything it's that people would rather she showed her true self and not this media savvy poser all the time.
    Being a different person and having this other personality is just bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭blairbear

Well maybe today was her first step towards being more relatable. You want her to be more down to earth and honest, right? Well she did that today.

Sue is different. She is a very body-confident girl. She rarely mentions how she feels about her looks, good, bad or indifferent. She has always been slim. She hasn't gone through a big weight-loss journey. She is just more at ease with herself than Joanne. I certainly wouldn't go on any form of social media make-up free, or guzzling pizza, in a fit. I think we can understand now why Joanne is insecure and dislikes tagged photos from events.

I think she deserves a bit of a break today.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

The real question is, do you just eat one kind of Cheetos? :pac:

I've seen people mentioning cheetos a few times now, what's the story there? I think I might be missing a joke :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

Well I hope that’s the end of the over filtering pretending life is amazing showing off bags ect and she shows the reality then she will stop becoming a running joke ,, she needs to go back to showing tutorials ect and stop putting Paul on Snapchat constantly And maybe she can claw back some credibility

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

toodleytoo wrote: »
    I've seen people mentioning cheetos a few times now, what's the story there? I think I might be missing a joke :pac:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104228282&postcount=87

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104228282

Advertisement