Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social media influencers bragging ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Emmser

What's boycott Monday? First I'm hearing of it

Something that was set up on a Facebook group I'm not part of. My sister sent it on: Galz who snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Emmser wrote: »
    Something that was set up on a Facebook group I'm not part of. My sister sent it on: Galz who snap.

But what is it? That's also a closed group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

GingerLily wrote: »
    But what is it? That's also a closed group.

Someone suggested boycotting them for a day. That's pretty much it!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

Stumbled across this thread and read into this whole "influencer" thing. My god it's a lot worse than I imagined. These people are fake as hell. The sooner they lose their 'influence', the better.

I felt like I was watching that Black mirror episode where that woman has to give a wedding speech, the neediness for strangers approval is pathetic.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Deleted the troll posts and replies - lisalee83 there is a 50 post threshold you need to meet before you can post in this forum at the moment. When you reach 50 posts you can post in here but abusive posts like the ones I just deleted will not be tolerated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

So lets dial this back a bit.

Nobody asks about Rosie's house.
    You come along and claim you're her friend and she told you she pays 2500.
    You then say she's a sleveine pox.

Pick a lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lisalee83

anna080 wrote: »
    No that's you.

good one.... this ones on the ball here

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lisalee83

Deleted the troll posts and replies - lisalee83 there is a 50 post threashold you need to meet before you can post in this forum at the moment. When you reach 50 posts you can post in here but abusive posts like the ones I just deleted will not be tolerated.

get reported did i?
    great craic

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    So lets dial this back a bit.

Nobody asks about Rosie's house.
    You come along and claim you're her friend and she told you she pays 2500.
    You then say she's a sleveine pox.

Pick a lane.

The start of the thread is all about her new house so that's probably why she commented - still a troll though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Lead

Fair play to the White Moose for calling out that "Influencer" yesterday looking for a free room. I watched a part of her video reply and OMG she's a nightmare. Saying he was ruining her "job" and life long dream of being an influncer.

Lead wrote: »
    Fair play to the White Moose for calling out that "Influencer" yesterday looking for a free room. I watched a part of her video reply and OMG she's a nightmare. Saying he was ruining her "job" and life long dream of being an influncer.

What influencer? I don't think Boards stops us naming influencers as long as the story is in the public knowledge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Elle Darby very funny YouTube video from her up outraged about being humiliated and being told no

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

:D:confused: :rolleyes: :D :pac: :confused:

I don't even know what to say here. I could only manage about 30 seconds of this... and it goes on for 17 minutes?! :eek:

How, how are people like this making a living from effectively having no personality and talking only about themselves?? I'm actually looking for an actual answer here...

Elle Darby very funny YouTube video from her up outraged about being humiliated and being told no

Oh she's a UK influencer - I was thinking the Irish ones know better :p

Does she tell her fans that she's getting free services when she's advertising them on her YouTube? Hmmmmm, because that's definitely payment in kind

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

The sense of entitlement in that video is alarming in all honesty.
    Firstly, if she worked so hard, she'd have done a bit of research into the hotels she was contacting and seen previous social media from WMC and the hotel and seen she was barking up the wrong tree.
    Stop using your age as an excuse. You can't bang on about being a self employed business woman, girlboss etc. and then say things like " they're picking on a 22 year old girl". 22 is an adult and this is your business so act like it.
    She tries to play it off like she was asking for a discount, she wasn't, she asks openly for a free room for a weekend.
    She clearly contacted several hotels looking for a freebie having had no interaction with them up to that point, surely good business tells you to maybe build up a relationship with someone first (and this would have told her what hotels were open to working with influencers and what ones aren't). before you start asking for freebies with zero proof it will benefit them as a business.
    Does she have stats to back up her claim that Universal Orlando benefited from her promotion? I doubt it. The claims these people make to try and get free **** makes my blood boil.
    Ive read so many testimonials from businesses who have been stung by the likes of her for promotion that either never happened or was below par and not worth the value of what they got. Like how does the hotel guarantee they'll do a good job? What if she got there and didn't like it? Or felt they didn't dance attendance on her, or upgrade her, or give her free gifts in the room etc?

WHIP IT! wrote: »

I don't even know what to say here. I could only manage about 30 seconds of this... and it goes on for 17 minutes?! :eek:

How, how are people like this making a living from effectively having no personality and talking only about themselves?? I'm actually looking for an actual answer here...
    You only have to look at the comments underneath to see there are a LOT of people who follow and like these people and trust them. Which is why it's so important that they are called out on any shady and ethically questionable content and practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The funny thing is she goes on ad nauseam saying how she was going to great business with them give them a wonderful review- really? Kind of outed yourself there missy. So even if you hated it you'd say it was amazing, win for them, win for you- and the only ones who lose are your following for being lied to.
    Scarlet for her mooching around looking for freebies.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

She's young and naive but she is right in one thing - he angled the whole thing very specifically to get as much attention from it himself as he could by being as rude as possible to her and then doing the internet equivalent of looking at his mates for a high five - sharing it on Facebook. I know that's what he does, he has form for it.

I'm not excusing her asking for a freebie but she'll learn by businesses saying no thanks, we'd need x, y, z followers or interactions before we could consider that kind of deal - and let's be honest, those deals do happen in the righ circumstances so her asking wasn't anything new or extraordinary.

Ok 10 and a half minutes in I have to turn her off, she's off on a side rant about how can little children learn to be good people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

WHIP IT! wrote: »

She is seriously deluded, you would think she has 200 million followers. She says she doesn't think she did anything wrong :D

She uses words like "business proposal and collaboration" a lot.

I made it tens mins in and had to stop it she was rambling on how every one abused her over it must hate their jobs, doesn't understand social media and must be the older generation abusing her.

• Advertisement

miamee wrote: »
    She's young and naive but she is right in one thing - he angled the whole thing very specifically to get as much attention from it himself as he could by being as rude as possible to her and then doing the internet equivalent of looking at his mates for a high five - sharing it on Facebook. I know that's what he does, he has form for it.

I'm not excusing her asking for a freebie but she'll learn by businesses saying no thanks, we'd need x, y, z followers or interactions before we could consider that kind of deal - and let's be honest, those deals do happen in the righ circumstances so her asking wasn't anything new or extraordinary.

Ok 10 and a half minutes in I have to turn her off, she's off on a side rant about how can little children learn to be good people!
    No I agree with you, but that's part of my point. If she had done even 1 iota of research into the business she was asking for a freebie from, this would have flagged. He has a strong online social media presence so it wouldn't have been hard to find. She's also fed into it by doing this video and given him more publicity, but then it's gotten her publicity and an outpouring of sympathy so maybe she knew exactly what she was doing.

Also, her email to him was so generic and C&P it's embarrassing for someone who claims to love what she does and runs her own business. Nothing personal about the hotel or any info she could easily have found online to show she made any effort before asking them for a free room and board for 2 nights. Its hardly going to endear her to businesses when she's sending them such an obvious template

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

You're right there actually Lindy, one look at their Facebook page or Twitter would probably have revealed all she needed to know about the hotel and their likely response. All she was thinking was 'it looks nice and I'd like to stay there - for free'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Martina1991

miamee wrote:
    You're right there actually Lindy, one look at their Facebook page or Twitter would probably have revealed all she needed to know about the hotel and their likely response. All she was thinking was 'it looks nice and I'd like to stay there - for free'

I just had a scan through that video but she said she had nothing but pure intentions about a collaboration with the hotel.

Eh no love. You wanted a free stay purely because of who you are i.e. one of a million social media freeloaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I'm not in a position to watch the video but I had a quick Google of her name. Low number of Twitter followers. Are we sure this isn't another one of White Moose Café's stunts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

My mistake: I googled 'ellie' Darby. My apologies!

miamee wrote:

I just had a scan through that video but she said she had nothing but pure intentions about a collaboration with the hotel.

Eh no love. You wanted a free stay purely because of who you are i.e. one of a million  social media freeloaders.
    EXACTLY! It's all "I was trying to do you a favour and be nice and you rip me to shreds!!" like it was a totally selfless act.
    Nope, you were chancing your arm after doing a quick google about Dublin hotels and sent out a generic template email, with zero personalisation or professionalism, to various hotels hoping one of them would give you a free stay despite them knowing nothing about you, and you not backing up any of your claims on how it would help their business.
    Sadly I'm sure it does work for them at least some of the time and therefore breeds this attitude of entitlement and arrogance.

Ironically White Moose are getting great publicity over this

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Video is awful! Jumpy edits, not sure what's going on with her right eye, maybe conjunctivitis, but it's not pleasant.

She also needs English lessons "sent to them in confidentiality" might sound correct but it's not :D I wouldn't want someone without an accurate grasp of the English language representing my brand!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Caranica wrote: »
    Video is awful! Jumpy edits, not sure what's going on with her right eye, maybe conjunctivitis, but it's not pleasant.

She also needs English lessons "sent to them in confidentiality" might sound correct but it's not :D I wouldn't want someone without an accurate grasp of the English language representing my brand!

I think she recently had surgery on a lazy eye.
    Honestly I wouldn't put it past them both if this was nothing more than a publicity stunt for both involved. I trust nothing and am surprised at nothing anymore.

• Advertisement

anna080 wrote: »
    I think she recently had surgery on a lazy eye.
    Honestly I wouldn't put it past them both if this was nothing more than a publicity stunt for both involved. I trust nothing and am surprised at nothing anymore.

Did she email hospitals looking for free surgery in exchange for some exposure on her videos ?

Advertisement