Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social media influencers bragging ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

She said while they were in China that she’d try to show the factory producing the stock but there was none. It was just dinner and moaning about jet lag.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

Which is why I believe nothing that comes out of her mouth when it comes to her "designing everything from scratch". She throws that phrase around way too loosely.

Also her perfumes are awful. The Jour is so weak it would be gone in 5 minutes, Nuit (or NEW-it as she pronounces it) smells medicinal and the Amour one smells like Charlie or one of those cheap counterparts.
    They all smell cheap and synthetic and not luxurious at all. If they were being sold in Primark for 5-10 quid I'd say nothing but she has a cheek charging €50 for something of such poor quality, but I'm sure her fans will flock to buying it like the lemmings they are.

Brilliant, so there must be samples in the pharmacies of them? I’m going to see what they’re like. It just seems like product after product with no real effort behind them.
    She’s talking about a tan and foundation one week and then the next it’s here’s some perfume and brushes, it’s so weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It's really weird. They seem to come from nowhere. Wonder what she'll pull out of the Leweee Veeton next.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

She said she has a new style of eyelashes coming out.
    It's also known that she has a tan and a lip product in the pipeline.
    It feels to me like she rushed the release of the perfume and brushes to catch the Christmas market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I think you're right in that she was trying to catch the Christmas markets. I think she left it too late, though. If she wanted them to be a seller for Christmas she should have been building them up for a few weeks/months beforehand.

Even though I can't understand why anyone would want a perfume that they couldn't smell before buying.

^^LOL. Actually speaking of Lewee, it doesn’t go well with the tracksuit at the airport with the two big white stripes down the front. Even the baby is in a tracksuit.
    I never understand why people wear skanger clothes when going on a 3 hour flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

@MuffinTop, yes but they are roll on testers which is gross on so many levels, but you can smell them and get an idea of what they smell like.
    The more products she releases the more it looks like she puts eff all effort into the production of them. That and the fact she never shows behind the scenes of the production.
    She's been talking about her tan for about a year now, and wearing it so what's the delay with it? Christmas party season would have been perfect time for tan release.

I know she's mentioned having an office and a team, does she ever snap from there and the factory like Pippa does?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Babyspice13

I was really struck by the way these influencers live, over the last 24 hours after looking through snaps from yesterday and this morning.

Firstly I watched Lisa Jordan's snaps. She was in tears after visiting a women and childrens homeless shelter and discovering first hand the Christmas these poor women and children will have. it really struck me.

On the other hand you had Ellen nearly in tears because she shrunk her €200ish silk blouse, Suzanne checking into her 5* resort in Lanzarote and Pippa going for a spin in a helicopter.

Is there really any need for these people to rub our noses in it? Things are very tough for a lot of people. Snapchat may be an outlet, a way to escape the daily struggles and they are faced with this bragging.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Emmser

I was really struck by the way these influencers live, over the last 24 hours after looking through snaps from yesterday and this morning.

Firstly I watched Lisa Jordan's snaps. She was in tears after visiting a women and childrens homeless shelter and discovering first hand the Christmas these poor women and children will have. it really struck me.

On the other hand you had Ellen nearly in tears because she shrunk her €200ish silk blouse, Suzanne checking into her 5* resort in Lanzarote and Pippa going for a spin in a helicopter.

Is there really any need for these people to rub our noses in it? Things are very tough for a lot of people. Snapchat may be an outlet, a way to escape the daily struggles and they are faced with this bragging.

Completely understand where you're coming from. It's like watching a movie, escaping from reality. Hell, they are probably in competition against each other! We don't and will never see them on the toilet reading the back of a shampoo or bleach bottle!!

Recently read the best wish for Christmas,

'May your life be as wonderful as it appears on Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat'.

What more could one wish for!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

Is there really any need for these people to rub our noses in it?

I think that Lisa Jordan has done more than her fair share of bragging at this stage so I’m hoping that will change now. I also think that it is ridiculous but this is what these people’s lives are now. They get people fawning all over them and spending money on any tat they drop. It’s hard to hide that kind of wealth. And the more they do it, the more it seems people want to be them.

What really irritates me is when they are justifying something expensive; “We deserve this, we worked so hard la la la” Ehm really, let’s not kid ourselves here. Some of their “blogs” are completely sub standard and spell check seems to go amiss. I follow a couple of Canadian beauty youtubers and their editing etc is amazing compared to our influencers. It also irritates me that we are called haters and jealous for any criticism of them. I follow people that were sent to bora bora with tarte etc and I don’t begrudge them. At least they can do a comprehensive review and good edits etc. (I know they are on a difference scale but still) Irish influencers get a fortune for sitting on the couch and opening post. “Oh that looks nice” and it is never seen again.

I thought Lisa’s seemed a bit disingenuous yesterday too. I think if something upset you, your instinct wouldn’t be to pick up snapchat and blub about it.
    Also last year she didn’t make such a big deal out of giving to charity. Yesterday she deliberately waves a toy in her childs face so she can say no thats not for you that’s for CHARITY and makes the kid cry.
    Also she’s sending her huge amount of freebies and telling people they don’t have to give old things, they can buy Penneys pjs for a tenner. Why not, instead of buying my hair product, donate that money.

I hate when people tell others I’m doing this, you should too. If people have the means and are motivated to give to charity they can. There’s no need for a speech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I thought Lisa’s seemed a bit disingenuous yesterday too. I think if something upset you, your instinct wouldn’t be to pick up snapchat and blub about it.
    Also last year she didn’t make such a big deal out of giving to charity. Yesterday she deliberately waves a toy in her childs face so she can say no thats not for you that’s for CHARITY and makes the kid cry.
    Also she’s sending her huge amount of freebies and telling people they don’t have to give old things, they can buy Penneys pjs for a tenner. Why not, instead of buying my hair product, donate that money.

I hate when people tell others I’m doing this, you should too. If people have the means and are motivated to give to charity they can. There’s no need for a speech.

She didn't wave a toy in her face it had just been delivered and was on the floor because she had opened it and was about to put it in the charity box and the child grabbed it.
    Why make out she was waving it in her face?

Leading by example and helping homeless people while suggesting to others if they can afford it then it's a nice thing to do isnt something to make snarky comments about.
    Sometimes people are just being kind and it's a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cookiesmuggler

oh please, like in all fairness, to pick up your phone and cry about it!! there's no need. It did seem so fake. But isn't it grand for her to donate all her lovely freebies , why doesn't she donate some of her hard earned cash??like the rest of us, who are working fulltime 9-5 . Like she has a free car, eats for free, gets clothes for free, no wonder she can donate some of her freebies. Now don't get me wrong , every bit helps but filming yourself crying about it ??please!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Didn’t she buy things to donate as well?

That’s what I took from her snaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

Well now, if "buying" means exchanging cash it could be questionable. She felt she hadn't enough in the donation of freebies so went to Penneys (you know the ones she collaborates with and does the regular haul from) to bulk up the donation with pyjamas and a few other bits from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

What I get from her is she's horrid soft, when that tragedy happened in Manchester she was upset and crying, that fire in London she was devastated and sent a huge box of stuff over to the victims. She does genuinely seem to have a good heart and she seems to donate a good bit throughout the year. She was a bit upset that her boxes weren't as big as last year and went and bought stuff to add into the box.

At least she's not leaving it in a drawer swanning around in a helicopter and completely oblivious to real life for poorer people. She is privileged and she recognises that, admits she didn't realise how bad it must be not to have new sheets or towels or only getting one pair of pjs for the entire year. She knows she's lucky to be able to spoil pearl when there's many kids out there in a completely different position.

She can't help everyone but she's made a difference to at least one person this year and if she encouraged one of her followers to do the same, that's two people who will have at least some glimmer of Xmas spirit Xmas morning. Fair play to her

muggles wrote: »
    Well now, if "buying" means exchanging cash it could be questionable. She felt she hadn't enough in the donation of freebies so went to Penneys (you know the ones she collaborates with and does the regular haul from) to bulk up the donation with pyjamas and a few other bits from there.

She bought toiletries too and said that.. I suppose just because we didn't see it then it didn't happen? But if she showed it then she'd be "bragging" about giving to charity and it'd mean less.
    No wonder they feel like they cant win!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭lemmno

Lindy97 wrote: »
    @MuffinTop, yes but

I know she's mentioned having an office and a team, does she ever snap from there and the factory like Pippa does?

Because her ‘team’ is her sister and her husband. I think she also has a friend working for her now too but I could be wrong.
    Her workshop snaps, it’s her mother and father who are with her packing bags etc. Nothing wrong with that at all, great to have such a supportive family, but might explain why she doesn’t picture her ‘team’ or office much as it’s likely just to be her sister at the computer

• Advertisement

I do really like Lisa Jordan, comes across well and I can’t imagine she’d have any airs and graces if approached by a fan. She is however, always shopping. Anytime I look at her snaps she’s off shopping with the baby. I know it comes with the job but my god is she not sick of all that shopping?!

lemmno wrote: »
    I do really like Lisa Jordan, comes across well and I can’t imagine she’d have any airs and graces if approached by a fan. She is however, always shopping. Anytime I look at her snaps she’s off shopping with the baby. I know it comes with the job but my god is she not sick of all that shopping?!

Really like Lisa also but remember a year or so ago reading a thread on her not being happy with a fan approaching her in work in BT's. Maybe I imagined it! Anyone else remember this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I wouldn't be thrilled with a fan approaching me in work either

Emmser wrote: »
    Really like Lisa also but remember a year or so ago reading a thread on her not being happy with a fan approaching her in work in BT's. Maybe I imagined it! Anyone else remember this?

Has she gone back to Mac or is blogging her full time role now?

I wouldn't be thrilled with a fan approaching me in work either

Yes I remember most people agreeing with you and others saying her job, working as a makeup assistant at Mac in BT's, defo benefited from her blogging and fans. Apparently there'd be queues of fans whenever she'd be working. I wouldn't like to be a blogger and would hate that attention so I definetly wouldn't be one bit happy with that much attention at work.

lemmno wrote: »
    Has she gone back to Mac or is blogging her full time role now?

I think being a mum is her full time role with blogging/influencing a secondary job.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 daisyos1

I agree with this. I used to follow a lot of bloggers/influencers whatever you want to call them. In my opinion most of them are all the same now, going on and on about their freebies and how fabulous everything is. I have never seen a bad review of anything. It does sicken me how I have to save up to buy a watch(as an example) and half of them get 10 watches in the post to *trial*. It's free advertisement for the company I get that but if I messaged the company for a free watch I wouldn't get it. They make me angry I must admit.

And now suddenly they're coming out saying "oh we are preventing online bullying from now on". Just a joke in my opinion. What exactly are they doing to prevent it? By saying that statement the odd time and just casually promoting a makeup brush amidst all the bullying prevention.

I'm not slating all of the bloggers but many of them are just all the same and are just one big clique. It's not what you know it's who you know unfortunately. They all compliment each other and work off each other. I wonder what they would do or talk about if they didn't get sent anything free?

Thank god today was a Sunday I'd never of kept up with all this drama on a work day 😂😂

You can say that again; the drama! I need to know if this boycott Monday thing is still going ahead! :D

• Advertisement

Advertisement