Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official AH McGregor vs Mayweather thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Funny hearing everyone saying it's a joke and a farce etc.. but funny enough they'll be watching if they are honest. Iv'e no interest in boxing or MMA but i think it will be good entertainment and im looking forward to it. Few friends coming over, game of cards, few beers should be a good night.

I highly doubt they will be paying 25 euro to watch it. Just look as the facts here, it's a professional boxer who has never lost, fighting a guy who has never boxed pro in his life. It's a total mismatch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Mayweather K.O.
    tigger123 wrote: »
    Yep. And watched him never accept a fight he would lose. Can't see this being any different. Also, McGregor isn't a boxer.

I don't think he'll lose but he definitely won't be going for the knockout either, he's too intelligent a fighter to do something as amateurish as that!

Mayweather K.O.
    FTA69 wrote: »
    Some of the best boxers in the business, including some all time greats, have tried to land knockout blows on Mayweather and haven't succeeded - so how on Earth some people think McGregor will be capable of doing so is beyond me.

Even if he does succeed in landing anything substantial,which is unlikely, Mayweather has a solid beard and will be well able to deal with it. The man got hit bang on the jaw by Shane Mosley and managed to pull through it and boss the fight, he'll be well able to deal with anything McGregor has.

The whole fight is a farce, it's the equivalent of Paul O'Connell lining out for Real Madrid and people expecting him to bag a hat-trick in the Champions League final. This fight is an entertainment gimmick more along the lines of WWE than a serious sporting contest.

Fair play to them, the two lads are laughing all the way to the bank for a total non-event. I wouldn't be surprised if they've already choreographed the whole thing.

I agree with the bolded part of your post .............

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

MadDog76 wrote: »
    When's the last time Mayweather knocked anybody out? When's the last time he even tried to knock out an opponent?!!??!

Ricky Hatton was the last proper TKO. Less said about the Ortiz KO the better.

But look at the calibre of fighter he has fought since. How many have been knocked on their arse?

I'd like to see McGregor win but it isn't happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I can only see Mayweather winning. My guess is that he will take no risks and, rather than go for an early finish, he will be happy to systematically dismantle McGregor.

If it was UFC rules, I would give Mayweather the same chance I give McGregor for this one.

Maybe Mayweather has gotten really old but beyond that, I don't see him losing.

• Advertisement

Mayweather K.O.
    I'd love McGregor to win but I just don't think he'll get anywhere near Mayweather no more than Mayweather having a chance against McGregor in an MMA fight ......... in any case it's a win-win for McGregor, if he loses he'll still get a big fat cheque and the excuse of "well, I'm not a boxer so ........" and if he actually wins ........ happy days! :)
    Ricky Hatton was the last proper TKO. Less said about the Ortiz KO the better.

But look at the calibre of fighter he has fought since. How many have been knocked on their arse?

I'd like to see McGregor win but it isn't happening.

So you agree with me then .......... ?

Mayweather K.O.
    osarusan wrote: »
    I can only see Mayweather winning. My guess is that he will take no risks and, rather than go for an early finish, he will be happy to systematically dismantle McGregor.

If it was UFC rules, I would give Mayweather the same chance I give McGregor for this one.

Maybe Mayweather has gotten really old but beyond that, I don't see him losing.

Spot on!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mayweather K.O.
    Rooting for McGregor but cannot see anyway he wins this fight in all honesty. People say he might hit a lucky punch but truthfully I cannot see it happening with Mayweather.
    All the scenarios going through my mind for the fight end in a Mayweather win by TKO or points decision, with the latter being most likely.

There is that outside chance that maybe, just maybe father time has caught up with Mayweather and it's one fight too far but it's really only a hopeful thought.

In reality, this is a 0-0 fighter going up against one of the all time great boxers (Top 5 imo anyways) and that is the cold hard truth no matter what way you spin it. Yes, McGregor's experience in MMA will stand to him. Yes, I do think he'll be conditioned enough to go twelve rounds. But it will in the end mean nothing as this is Floyd freaking Mayweather.

The same would apply in the opposite direction if it was an MMA fight btw so it's not a knock on McGregor at all.

Will be watching and rooting for McGregor but in hope rather than expectation.

So you agree with me then .......... ?

Yup. I was just addressing a general point that people have thrown out about Mayweather not knocking people out in 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Mayweather DQ
    What time is the actual fight? I'm reading it may be about 4am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Sometime between 5am and 6am.

Mayweather K.O.
    Yup. I was just addressing a general point that people have thrown out about Mayweather not knocking people out in 10 years.

Yeah, his last knockout was 6 years ago but, as you said, the less said about the Ortiz knockout the better .......... his last TKO was 10 years ago and his last actual KO before that was 18 years ago!
    He won't risk going for the KO against McGregor ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Mayweather DQ
    Gonna go with: Early rounds CM goes for it, FM rides it out - crowd are whooping, commentator's going mental. But then it settles down and FM starts working the body, Conor's getting tired - his arms are feeling heavy now, Floyd grinds him down. Maybe a KO then.

Or Conor knocks him out with his first punch, many people pissed off at spending all that money.

Yeah, his last knockout was 6 years ago but, as you said, the less said about the Ortiz knockout the better .......... his last TKO was 10 years ago and his last actual KO before that was 18 years ago!
    He won't risk going for the KO against McGregor ..........

While he is a defensive fighter and is risk averse, he'll likely have better chances to stop McGregor than he's had against Maidana, Cotto, Marquez, Pacquiao et al.

I expect McGregor will present more opportunities to be hit than those top level boxers, which might lead to a stoppage. But he's not going to go hunting him down for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I don't like McGregor. He's too influential, because you've got about a million knackers now believing that there's no such thing as talent, only hard work. Robert De Niro isn't more talented than Leo from Fair City - he just worked harder to get where he is. Harry Kane isn't more talented than Glenn Crowe - he just worked harder during his formative years. What a f*cking idiot this bloke is. I hope he gets knocked out within about a second.

Hammer89 wrote: »
    I don't like McGregor. He's too influential, because you've got about a million knackers now believing that there's no such thing as talent, only hard work. Robert De Niro isn't more talented than Leo from Fair City - he just worked harder to get where he is. Harry Kane isn't more talented than Glenn Crowe - he just worked harder during his formative years. What a f*cking idiot this bloke is. I hope he gets knocked out within about a second.

It would be no bad thing if most of those knackers actually worked as hard as he did to bring himself to where he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Mayweather DQ
    While he is a defensive fighter and is risk averse, he'll likely have better chances to stop McGregor than he's had against Maidana, Cotto, Marquez, Pacquiao et al.

I expect McGregor will present more opportunities to be hit than those top level boxers, which might lead to a stoppage. But he's not going to go hunting him down for it

I'd agree, Mayweather won't take any risks to get the KO but I think as McGregor tires coming into the middle rounds he'll catch him so often the ref or McGregor's corner will call a halt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I think the whole thing is a farce but I'll still watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

Mayweather DQ
    jamesbere wrote: »
    I think the whole thing is a farce but I'll still watch it.

Yeah, me too. Its the only McGregor fight I've ever been interested in.

It would be no bad thing if most of those knackers actually worked as hard as he did to bring himself to where he is.

That depends. I think selling the idea that you can be just like McGregor if you work really, really hard is a negative thing personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

McGregor DQ
    I'll just be sitting back in wonder watching a lad from Crumlin who was on the dole years ago with no real prospects now getting 75 mill plus for a half an hours work (give or take.....)

He followed his passion , invented a persona that resonates with the UFC fans and has built a global brand in 30 months.

Whatever about the technical ins an outs of this fight who really gives a f-ck. Fair play to him.

I'm sure he really cares about people who smugly talk him down as they sit in the middle of a 4 hour daily commute from a crappy house that's costing them a fortune miles from work before they do it all again in a job they hate that pays you just enough to do it all again the next day.

Gather round the TV and watch an Irishman succed ( Ignoring the 30 minute hiding of course....)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Mayweather DQ
    I'll just be sitting back in wonder watching a lad from Crumlin who was on the dole 3 years ago with no real prospects now getting 75 mill plus for a half an hours work (give or take.....)

Revenue would be very interested to hear that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

Sneary McG to lose. Might shut him up for a bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭KaiserLu

Mayweather K.O.
    Would love to see McGregor do it just to shut up the arrogant boxing pundits, most of whom couldn't dream of getting a fight this big in their day.

Begrudgary is alive and well in Ireland. Here's a clean living, self made millionaire who is an imbodiment of hard work and belief and yet you have the usual crap some certain people.

That depends. I think selling the idea that you can be just like McGregor if you work really, really hard is a negative thing personally.

Why?

The world might be a better place if people actually just worked really, really hard to find out that talent actually matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

tigger123 wrote: »
    Yeah, me too. Its the only McGregor fight I've ever been interested in.

There might be a fight on this thread beforehand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

Mayweather DQ
    jamesbere wrote: »
    There might be a fight on this thread beforehand :D

Have me popcorn...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Gimme a fcking break.

Why?

The world might be a better place if people actually just worked really, really hard to find out that talent actually matters.

Yes but by working really, really hard on something then some other aspects of a young person's life - friendships, relationships, work, education, whatever - are going to be sacrificed in the name of pursuing something they're probably sh*t at, because McGregor has them believing that hard work is a substitute for talent when it's not.

• Advertisement

Gimme a fcking break.

McGregor's the one who said talent doesn't exist, not me pal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement