Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official AH McGregor vs Mayweather thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Draw
    In fairness to him, he made the point that he could still think clearly, he wasn't dazed, it was just that he had run out of juice. He knew he was beat. He was just just making out, and I think rightfully so, that he was still standing and his dignity was still intact.

I don't like Conor much but I do respect what he did last night.

Are you saying that since he left on his feet his dignity was still intact? If so then how come he was saying the referee should have left it go on longer?

I notice we have a troop of smart guys coming in saying how "obvious" it was it was all a fix and not only that but "the only people who think otherwise are people who believe in WWE". The amount of **** you can talk in one sentence is almost hard to believe sometimes. Funny how all these conspiracy theories can't predict beforehand what's going to happen and get it wrong, then no matter what happens they figure up some way it was all a fix.

Draw
    What was amazing about it was Conor wasn't fit.
    All that waffle, money spent on training camps, experts, cardio, training, nutrionalists, trainers, performance centres etc etc etc and he was open mouthed panting like a beached whale after just two rounds!. Two bloody rounds.
    Out of puff in 6 Minutes.
    Wasnt due to Maweather as for the first two rounds Mayweather had his hands in his pockets.

As explained McGregor came out swinging really hard as he knew it was his best shot. Fair deuce to him, he landed a couple of punches and Mayweather acknowledged that. But he wasn't anywhere near to getting the sort of thing that would give him a chance of winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Mayweather DQ
    What was amazing about it was Conor wasn't fit.
    All that waffle, money spent on training camps, experts, cardio, training, nutrionalists, trainers, performance centres etc etc etc and he was open mouthed panting like a beached whale after just two rounds!. Two bloody rounds.
    Out of puff in 6 Minutes.
    Wasnt due to Maweather as for the first two rounds Mayweather had his hands in his pockets.

It's not a case of not being fit but going too hard too fast and not pacing. No matter who you are. if you don't pace yourself, you'll tank. I thought he was fine up until the 4th, started to fall away, drop his hands, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Wesley Snipes was right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Mayweather DQ
    Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Wesley Snipes was right.

Don't pay your taxes?

• Advertisement

McGregor DQ
    Are you saying that since he left on his feet his dignity was still intact? If so then how come he was saying the referee should have left it go on longer?

That was obviously just post-match bravado. He quickly moved on from that though. his key point was that while TKO'ed he was intact.

Draw
    That was obviously just post-match bravado. He quickly moved on from that though. his key point was that while TKO'ed he was intact.

I saw him give multiple interviews with that as a point. He's going to stick with that long term, that he wished the referee could have left it go for longer. Also, I do not see the point in saying "well I only got TKOed, not KOed proper", I just don't see that as a point for him.

Seems like he has no intentions to stop acting the fool:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4827458/Imagine-d-WON-Conor-McGregor-gets-hero-s-welcome.html?login

He could at least have a little humility and not acting like a maniac after he lost.

If he didn't talk so much **** and act like this it would be great, I liked his character for a while. But he just went so overboard and imo is now more an embarrassment to Ireland than anything to be proud of. If you look on youtube of how disgracefully he acts. Maybe it's worthwhile that he exists rather than if he never did, but just about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Mayweather K.O.
    If we learned one thing from last night it's that MMA fighters and boxers should keep to their own discipline. As a spectacle it was atrocious.

I suppose WWE is the next destination point for the McGregor money train?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I saw him give multiple interviews with that as a point. He's going to stick with that long term, that he wished the referee could have left it go for longer.
    Rather than him coming across as saying that he was still well in the fight or anything like that, the impression I got as that he'd prefer that Mayweather be forced to knock him out/down, and lose like that, rather than while he was still standing. Pretty common thing for boxers to say.

Draw
    osarusan wrote: »
    Rather than him coming across as saying that he was still well in the fight or anything like that, the impression I got as that he'd prefer that Mayweather be forced to knock him out/down, and lose like that, rather than while he was still standing. Pretty common thing for boxers to say.

He was like that at some points, and yes he said he wanted to hit the floor. However in other interviews he gave he started talking about how he can get a "dip" in the 9th or 10th round and then he would miraculously be better in the 11th or 12th. He said he was just a bit wobbly. He's not saying he was robbed, but he is contesting he had a shot at coming back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Yeah McGregor crowd still going on about the stoppage but he wasn't throwing any thing back and wasn't defending himself.

Maybe they should have read the rules before going through with it.

He was like that at some points, and yes he said he wanted to hit the floor. However in other interviews he gave he started talking about how he can get a "dip" in the 9th or 10th round and then he would miraculously be better in the 11th or 12th. He said he was just a bit wobbly. He's not saying he was robbed, but he is contesting he had a shot at coming back.

Ok, hadn't seen him saying it was just a temporary dip, or something he thought he'd soon recover from.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I saw him give multiple interviews with that as a point. He's going to stick with that long term, that he wished the referee could have left it go for longer. Also, I do not see the point in saying "well I only got TKOed, not KOed proper", I just don't see that as a point for him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4827458/Imagine-d-WON-Conor-McGregor-gets-hero-s-welcome.html?login

He could at least have a little humility and not acting like a maniac after he lost.

If he didn't talk so much **** and act like this it would be great, I liked his character for a while. But he just went so overboard and imo is now more an embarrassment to Ireland than anything to be proud of. If you look on youtube of how disgracefully he acts. Maybe it's worthwhile that he exists rather than if he never did, but just about.

Ériu herself is crying into a pillow. She'll be onto Joe Duffy on Monday telling him it's a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I do not know why he is bringing that into it. It is a boxing match and he knows the rules. The referee will stop the fight if the fighter is not fighting and and is stunned which he was.

He was also doing a lot of illegal hits in the fight again this is a boxing match not a MMA fight.

In a interview I watched he also said I had got behind Mayweather a few times and if it was MMA he would have used that to his advantage, I do not know why he says that when again this is a boxing match not MMA and he know that.

When you are fighting in a BOXING match it has different rules. I said it from the moment this fight was announced that he would not beat Mayweather in a boxing match and that if it was Mayweather who entered the cage McGregor would win, but I never predicted that Mayweather would get a stoppage I assumed it would go the full rounds.

McGregor should be embarrassed getting stopped by a fighter not known for TKO's. Where is his smack talk I will destroy his within 4 rounds etc...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

osarusan wrote: »

When the ref stopped it Mayweather was dishing out headshots at will using about 60% of his potential power; if that had been a heavyweight in a bad mood McGregor would be in intensive care right now.

sabat wrote: »
    When the ref stopped it Mayweather was dishing out headshots at will using about 60% of his potential power; if that had been a heavyweight in a bad mood McGregor would be in intensive care right now.

That is so true especially when Mayweather is not known for hard punching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Mayweather DQ

Great to see him enjoying his life to the full. He'll be back of that iv'e no doubt. One hell of a warrior.

Why did Mayweather only bother to use 60% of his potential power going for a knockout?

McGregor wouldn't have been in with a heavyweight but if he's also been in the ring with someone who had a fun he might even be dead!!!eleventyone!!!1!1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I've bed sheets the cut of that suit he's wearing.

Draw
    I do not know why he is bringing that into it. It is a boxing match and he knows the rules. The referee will stop the fight if the fighter is not fighting and and is stunned which he was.

He was also doing a lot of illegal hits in the fight again this is a boxing match not a MMA fight.

In a interview I watched he also said I had got behind Mayweather a few times and if it was MMA he would have used that to his advantage, I do not know why he says that when again this is a boxing match not MMA and he know that.

When you are fighting in a BOXING match it has different rules. I said it from the moment this fight was announced that he would not beat Mayweather in a boxing match and that if it was Mayweather who entered the cage McGregor would win, but I never predicted that Mayweather would get a stoppage I assumed it would go the full rounds.

McGregor should be embarrassed getting stopped by a fighter not known for TKO's. Where is his smack talk I will destroy his within 4 rounds etc...

He later revised that claim down to 2 rounds. :rolleyes:

Agree with your post. I am suspicious about these comments about "well McGregor gave it his all, won the first three rounds and gave a great account of himself". They're not like tennis sets - they're more like if you run out of in front of another the pack for the first few laps in a really long race... what's the point if they all come gliding past you later?

I'm sure if Mayweather really wanted to, he could have knocked him out in 3-4 rounds. Conceivably, McGregor could have had a tiny, tiny chance if he tried that, because McGregor would be fresh. So being the consummate professional, Mayweather waited and played his game to the maximum extent. Like Eamon Dunphy said it's not about entertainment, if you want entertainment go to the pictures. Mayweather didn't make 49-0 by taking risks no matter small they may seem.

The commentators were even saying in round 9 and 10 that Mayweather was surprising them how aggressive he was becoming. That he wasn't known for this aggressive style at all and they weren't used to seeing him box that way - so even round 9 and 10 was a little early for Mayweather but I guess he then was 100% and wanted to give his fans something.

• Advertisement

Draw
    BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Great to see him enjoying his life to the full. He'll be back of that iv'e no doubt. One hell of a warrior.

He should have had a bit more respect for his fans and the fact that he lost despite all his bullcrap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Why did Mayweather only bother to use 60% of his potential power going for a knockout?

McGregor wouldn't have been in with a heavyweight but if he's also been in the ring with someone who had a fun he might even be dead!!!eleventyone!!!1!1

My point is that although McGregor probably could have stumbled his way to the end of the round, the potential for a really nasty injury was obvious to an experienced boxing ref.

My point is that although McGregor probably could have stumbled his way to the end of the round, the potential for a really nasty injury was obvious to an experienced boxing ref.

And especially if Floyd was 50 pounds heavier.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's a wonder he only managed to win 1 round if he was outboxing Mayweather for the early rounds (plural)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mayweather DQ
    Pussyhands wrote: »
    exactly!

Mayweather waited to attack when he knew McGregor had no chance of hurting him with a punch. Mayweather waited a number of rounds to see what McGregor had in his locker. When Floyd knew Conor had no power to hurt him he went to town on him.

Go watch the Manny fight, Floyd kept it tight all fight because he knew Manny still had power to knock him out if he connected right and gave him the opportunity.

Mayweather boxed Conor around the place. This is a 40 year old Mayweather who wasn't known for KO's for a long time. This was not peak Mayweather and he still got trampled on.

Perfect summation.

Draw
    As I understand it Mayweather had a large bet on himself to win in under 9.5 rounds, so doubt very much he could have finished it.

That's interesting. He didn't end up having that bet placed though.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/boxing/mayweather-mcgregor/floyd-mayweather-conor-mcgregor-bet-odds-attempted-to-place-400000-bet-a7915051.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

As I understand it Mayweather had a large bet on himself to win in under 9.5 rounds, so doubt very much he could have finished it.

Floyd was being outboxed by Conor in the early rounds before he fatigued, he actually was countering Floyd very well, I don't remember any other boxer doing that to Floyd. On numerous occasions Floyd turned his back to Conor, that's not a sign that he could have ended it whenever he wanted to.

People need to realise this, Conor has a world class ability to slip and counter punch, his skills are sublime. The problem was that there is that's only one element of boxing, he was very rough around the edges in other respects, nonetheless he was the superior boxer before he fatigued.

Of course Mayweather became aggressive in the later rounds, he was basically a walking punching bag by that time due to fatigue.

You are wrong about the bet. It wasn't placed. If you really believe that Mcgregor was ever out boxing Mayweather then I want some of whatever you are taking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mayweather DQ
    It's a wonder he only managed to win 1 round if he was outboxing Mayweather for the early rounds (plural)

I think the judges were harsh, I'd give him the first two rounds, but not because he actually did anything exceptional, he was just busy and Floyd was cruising not throwing punches.
    The third round I'd give to Floyd as he actually started to throw and move forward.

The start of the 4th onwards it was totally one sided.

That comment about Floyd is dead on. This was not Floyd in his prime he is old for a contact sport and stopped training for 2 years as he was retired and he was also a lot smaller than Mcgregor and still Floyd got a TKO.

Call the outcome what ever way you want but Mcgregor should be ashamed with having getting stopped.

• Advertisement

Call the outcome what ever way you want but Mcgregor should be ashamed with having getting stopped.

No he shouldn't. He was up against one of the very boxers in the whole history of the sport - who has definitely lost a bit of his speed, but doesn't seem to have lost any of his composure or analytical skills. Ridiculous to suggest that he should be ashamed to be stopped by such a boxer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement