Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official AH McGregor vs Mayweather thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I thought it was poor tactics to be honest.

Conor looked to be trying to pace himself for the 12 rounds which is understandable, but all that was ever going to do was result in a decision loss.

I'd have preferred him to swing for the fences for 3 than to pace himself for 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

DrPhilG wrote: »

Conor looked to be trying to pace himself for the 12 rounds which is understandable, but all that was ever going to do was result in a decision loss.

I'd have preferred him to swing for the fences for 3 than to pace himself for 10.

The problem is Mayweather did nothing for the first 2 or 3 rounds. He didn't give McGregor an opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Fancy Bear

That's exactly what he did. Or tried to do. He was knackered after a few rounds.

Fancy Bear wrote: »
    That's exactly what he did. Or tried to do. He was knackered after a few rounds.

It wasn't.

He threw plenty in the first few rounds but he certainly wasn't giving it all like he did in the early rounds of the first Diaz fight.

He could have gone absolutely hell for leather but he was definitely trying to pace himself.

He wasn't really knackered until about the 5th round and that was more through volume than power shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Draw
    Fancy Bear wrote: »

Agreed, McGregor came out swinging from the start. Most people said that he had to get him at that time, especially since UFC fights are over by then. The longer it went on, the less chance McGregor would have. His best hope was a couple of punches near the start.

After that McGregor didn't have a chance. It was sad but a bit funny where he looked like he was instinctively going for MMA moves like he was going to turn him over when he was disorientated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Well that is what he did, and succeeded in gassing himself out.

After that he was Floyds plaything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Mcgregor KO 105 votes....

ebbsy wrote: »
    Well that is what he did, and succeeded in gassing himself out.

After that he was Floyds plaything.

I don't know if you haven't watched McGregor fight before, but that was not going hell for leather, nor even close. It was a slow pace by his standards.

Anyway I'm off to sleep.

I just hope that when McGregor watches that fight back he will realise how badly out of his depth he was and will get back in the cage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Mayweather DQ
    What really let Conor down was his serious lack of stamina. He was breathing heavily after just 2 rounds and by round 5 he was completely exhausted. He didn't lose because Mayweather hurt him, there was no real knock down power. He lost because he was out on his feet and couldn't do anything.

Even though Floyd Mayweather is 41 years. He is in supreme physical condition, He was as fresh at the end of the fight as he was at the beginning.

Congratulations to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

What really let Conor down was his serious lack of stamina. He was breathing heavily after just 2 rounds and by round 5 he was completely exhausted. He didn't lose because Mayweather hurt him, there was no real knock down power. He lost because he was out on his feet and couldn't do anything.

Even though Floyd Mayweather is 41 years. He is in supreme physical condition, He was as fresh at the end of the fight as he was at the beginning.

Congratulations to him.

I thought he was 40. The guy playing the undercard was 41, he got beaten.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Mayweather DQ
    Feel sorry for all the guys that lost their dole money on Conor....

Draw

Congratulations to him.

yeah. But the reason Conor lost his stamina is he went hell for leather because it was his one tactical shot of winning.

Also McGregor was landing a lot of illegal punches during his good rounds, such as hitting down. The referee gave him many warnings and McGregor had to stop doing that, so that limited him more. I thought maybe McGregor was going to get himself disqualified rather than any kind of knockout at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

Mayweather on points
    I thought maybe McGregor was going to get himself disqualified rather than any kind of knockout at one point.

That's the option I went for in the poll...I reckoned McGregor would be losing and his fighters instincts would just start throwing out MMA moves...in the end he either didn't have the time or energy to respond to Mayweather's heavy hitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Mayweather DQ
    yeah. But the reason Conor lost his stamina is he went hell for leather because it was his one tactical shot of winning.

Also McGregor was landing a lot of illegal punches during his good rounds, such as hitting down. The referee gave him many warnings and McGregor had to stop doing that, so that limited him more. I thought maybe McGregor was going to get himself disqualified rather than any kind of knockout at one point.

If that was hell for leather, It was pretty tame.

Draw
    The girls have a nice job lol.

So... girl on the left or girl on the right? I'm going with the one on the right but it's close. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

The fact that McGregor's sparing partner was a better boxer should have set of lightbulbs, anyway I'm sure McGregor will be crying into his piles of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Ah well, I think he fought a great fight and showed great heart.

The revisionism has started early though and people are forgetting that early on in the fight Floyd struggled to read McGregor and he was out punched without question.

Take this shot for example......

giphy.gif

........to land an uppercut, even one which there was admittedly not much power to (given McGregor's positioning) on a boxer who is considered the best ever, is something to be proud of..... and there were many other shots landed in those early rounds also until Conor clearly gassed, despite what many are trying to suggest.

Draw
    McGregor making a royal fool of himself on ESPN now, saying that he just had a "dip" and is just "wobbly" sometimes, and then at round 11 and 12 he "comes back better than ever" if only the referee had allowed it to go on. The cringe...

"it felt like amateurs, that's like something you'd see in the amateurs"... he literally just said that about stopping the fight. :rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Well done Connor, Trojan battle for a first time underdog, enjoy the cash! You deserve all of it!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

He's get a load of money, learned alot, boosted his profile and didn't get embarrassed

Fair play to him, not a fan of his character but he makes it work

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mayweather DQ
    Ah well, I think he fought a great fight and showed great heart.

The revisionism has started early though and people are forgetting that early on in the fight Floyd struggled to read McGregor and he was out punched without question.

Take this shot for example......

giphy.gif

........to land an uppercut, even one which there was admittedly not much power to (given McGregor's positioning) on a boxer who is considered the best ever, is something to be proud of..... and there were many other shots landed in those early rounds also until Conor clearly gassed, despite what many are trying to suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

McGregor DQ
    Should never have been stopped. He was about to starch Floyd.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I think Conor would have one the street fight. Floyd relied on the ref for protection, turning his back, exposing the back of his head. He certainly wouldn't have lasted long in the octagon

Mayweather DQ
    Jesus Wept wrote: »
    Should never have been stopped. He was about to starch Floyd.

Shane O Mac was about to come down don't the rafters on a zip line and do a leap of faith to drop Floyd before rolling under the ropes and letting Conor pin Floyd for the 3 count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Is this fight not really bad for UFC in that it's main star has not fought for almost a year despite having a title so it's probably going to be another 3 or 4 months at least before he defends his title.The guy who runs UFC was actually along for the ride with McGregor deciding to abandon his own sport that he holds a title in so he could compete in a mismatch of a boxing match.

Kinda farcical when you think about it and despite UFC priding itself on the best always fighting the best and not having the kind of nonsense politics that ruin boxing you have this farce of it's main star not actually bothering with the sport while actually being a champion of it. He really should have had at least one defence of his title by now and if this happened in boxing people would be calling it farcicial that there has been so long without a title defence but it seems to be acceptable in UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Floyd would last seconds in MMA but he would be the biggest name in MMA for those few seconds. MMA will always boxings poor relation. Floyd would have made near the same money against any other opponent but he wouldn't have made it as easy. Conor would still be shaking down the UFC for realtive chump change if Mayweather hadn't him thrown him a bone.

MMA will disappear when Conor quits. Who else is there in the UFC?

Draw
    ted1 wrote: »
    I think Conor would have one the street fight. Floyd relied on the ref for protection, turning his back, exposing the back of his head. He certainly wouldn't have lasted long in the octagon

McGregor punched down on him a few of those times, called the hammer punch which is highly illegal. The referee had to warn him many times.

Nah, McGregor is happy to have depleted lads around the world of their dole money. Of course he enjoyed the fight, he gets paid no matter the outcome.

The whole thing had the markings more of professional wrestling (WWE) than boxing. The outcome may not have been scripted, but it was pretty much known.

Mayweather DQ
    Schwiiing wrote: »
    Floyd would last seconds in MMA but he would be the biggest name in MMA for those few seconds. MMA will always boxings poor relation. Floyd would have made near the same money against any other opponent but he wouldn't have made it as easy. Conor would still be shaking down the UFC for realtive chump change if Mayweather hadn't him thrown him a bone.

MMA will disappear when Conor quits. Who else is there in the UFC?

MMA existed before Conor and to will exist after Conor.

Don't be ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

MMA existed before Conor and to will exist after Conor.

Don't be ridiculous.

Will its profile remain as high as it is atm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

McGregor DQ
    UFC is incredibly entertaining compared to boxing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement