Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official AH McGregor vs Mayweather thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Mayweather DQ
    Do you think all the people who support McGregor are on the dole and sit around drinking Dutch Gold?

Well they certainly aren't boxing experts anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Floyd would most certainly be beaten by Conor in an MMA bout, I don't think anyone would seriously dispute that.

I agree boxing will always be above MMA

I disagree that Floyd would have made this money with any fighter. He fought Andre Berto's 2 years ago and 'only' made 32 million dollars garunteed purse

The profile, personality and huge following of McGregor contributed massively to the money pot for this fight

MMA will never disappear but The UFC are nothing without Conor right now. He is all they have.

What if this fight was a rematch against a fully fit Manny Pac a year ago?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

So is this unbelievably hyped "event" now finally over? With all the fawning over it you'd have been forgiven for thinking it was the Second Coming.

Personally I don't see the entertainment in seeing grown men beat the sh*te out of each other but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I won a few karting races. I think AMG Mercedes should let me race Lewis Hamilton now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

That poll looks even more embarrassing now.

Was it a proper one sided beating or was Mayweather just messing about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mayweather DQ
    Turtyturd wrote: »

He did the usual slow first few rounds, then went into first gear for 5 rounds, stepped into 2nd in the 8th, nearly ended it in the 9th and finished the job in the 10th.

It was a one sided clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Turtyturd wrote: »

Bit of both with some bolloxing from both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Well they certainly aren't boxing experts anyway

How can you possibly know that none of the fans of mma know nothing about boxing? Are you an expert? Where can I see some of your expert boxing work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

J. Marston wrote:
    Did you even see the type of punches he was throwing? They were more slaps than punches.

That's how he fights in mma. He feels them out with the soft shots and then finds an opening for the ko......just couldn't find that opening against boxing's GOAT......unsurprisingly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Was Mayweather told that, in order to avoid a riot, he had to let the farce, sorry, fight, last X number of rounds?

This event was "crowd funding" in extremis. And the promoters knew full well, as we all do, that crowds are stupid. Well done to the promoters.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭tigger123

Mayweather DQ
    Mayweather could have finished it any time from the 5th round onwards. I think if Mayweather thought he was a threat he would have finished it earlier to be safe.

McGregor did will though, and got paid handsomely for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

iDave wrote: »
    I won a few karting races. I think AMG Mercedes should let me race Lewis Hamilton now.

Point well made.

There were NO losers here. That's why it wasn't a contest to begin with.

I would have happily gone 30 seconds with Mayweather and then played dead for a Euromillions loser's purse like that.

Farce.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Mayweather DQ
    Dinarius wrote: »
    Was Mayweather told that, in order to avoid a riot, he had to let the farce, sorry, fight, last X number of rounds?

This event was "crowd funding" in extremis. And the promoters knew full well, as we all do, that crowds are stupid. Well done to the promoters.

D.
    That's what I was saying all along. Its the biggest prize fight in history. This isn't something they wanted over in 1 round etc no matter what the fighters said.
    If you want suckers..er people to pay for a rematch or something similar then they needed to drag it out a bit.
    Mayweather at the end of it looked like someone who bent down to tie their shoelace whereas McGregor looked fcuked. A more aggressive boxer than Mayweather would have taken McGregor down in less rounds but it's not Mayweather's style.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Some people need some perspective on what happened tonight.

World Champion boxers faced a fully committed Floyd defending a title. They were led on a merry dance and some were made to look fairly ordinary.

Pacquiao landed 81 punches on a Floyd who was fully committed to his defensive style and who knew Pac could do him damage.

Exactly and before Conor gassed (something he clearly has an issue with considering the Diaz fights in particular) he more than held his own. In fact in those first three rounds he countered attacks from Floyd sweetly.......... but you'd swear from many comments since the fight that Floyd sat back for the first three fights absorbing Conor's attacks, waiting for his time........ but that's not what happened at all.

Here's some highlights:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I stand by what I said yesterday, that fight would've been way more entertaining if Stone Cold Steve Austin had marched into the arena in the sixth round,charged into the ring, floored Mayweather with a forearm, kicked McGregor in the midsection and pulled him straight into a stunner, then stood on the corner ropes smashed two beers together and skulled them. The WBCUFCWWE crossover would then be complete

• Registered Users Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mayweather K.O.
    Rick Shaw wrote: »
    I stand by what I said yesterday, that fight would've been way more entertaining if Stone Cold Steve Austin had marched into the arena in the sixth round,charged into the ring, floored Mayweather with a forearm, kicked McGregor in the midsection and pulled him straight into a stunner, then stood on the corner ropes smashed two beers together and skulled them. The WBCUFCWWE crossover would then be complete

Both hilarious and original

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Exactly and before Conor gassed (something he clearly has an issue with considering the Diaz fights in particular) he more than held his own. In fact in those first three rounds he countered attacks from Floyd sweetly.......... but you'd swear from many comments since the fight that Floyd sat back for the first three fights absorbing Conor's attacks, waiting for his time........ but that's not what happened at all.

Here's some highlights:

But that's what Mayweather did do , he just sat back absorbed anything McGregor threw at him and then played with him until it was over.

Those punches McGregor is throwing are embarrassingly poor, they're more like slaps than proper punches, his footwork looks appallingly bad as well.

Both hilarious and original

Throw in a bit of farcical, and it would have been keeping with the spirit of the money printing pantomime.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Very convenient result that suits all parties. A skeptic might even suggest that it was prearranged. Lots of money made, no one hurt & honour preserved. Mayweather could of ended it so much earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Mayweather DQ
    Thank f**k it's all over now we can move on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Mayweather DQ

Here's some highlights:

I've just watched it and that's pretty much exactly what happened. Mayweather sat back and took it for 3 rounds before making any real move. He still didn't have it all his own way and Conor did fantastic but once Mayweather started to step it up, Conor hadn't a hope and was well out of his depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

But that's what Mayweather did do , he just sat back absorbed anything McGregor threw at him and then played with him until it was over..

If he was just trying to absorb the shots McGregor was throwing, then why was he trying to avoid them at the same time? When boxers decide to absorb an onslaught, they do so with their arms and gloves, they don't absorb shots with their head on purpose. Honestly, make some sense ffs.

Floyd was also clearly throwing shots of his own and Conor was clearly slipping much of them. And that stance switching you're laughing at was something that frustrated Floyd and saw him eat a few shots he'd rather not have, and also one upper cut. Again it will be said that Floyd eat all these shots on purpose.

And as far as there being no power on them, Floyd wasn't to know that.

Conor showed some nice boxing skills in the fight.... not that you'll hear too many admitting it.

Discodog wrote: »
    Very convenient result that suits all parties. A skeptic might even suggest that it was prearranged. Lots of money made, no one hurt & honour preserved. Mayweather could of ended it so much earlier.

This.

So far as I can make out, the only people that believed this mornings show was anything other than a money making theatrical display are the same people who rewatch wreslemania grandslams believing the wrestlers are actually anything other than showmen.

Ring ding, round two for a rematch, there's a few billion left to be extracted from the fans yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Mayweather DQ
    And there's no way that was stopped early. Conor was done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Fancy Bear

JupiterKid wrote: »
    So is this unbelievably hyped "event" now finally over? With all the fawning over it you'd have been forgiven for thinking it was the Second Coming.

Personally I don't see the entertainment in seeing grown men beat the sh*te out of each other but each to their own.

Ugh. Always someone who just has to give their opinion on something they've no interest in. Nobody cares if you like boxing or not. Better off to leave the thread to those that enjoy this type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Early on McGregor did well, especially the timing of his punches was good. Mayweather was being defensive, but getting caught more than he normally would, which surprised me.

But once Mayweather had sized him up, it was all over. He worked out how McGregor wanted to fight, and then didn't let that happen.

He got stronger as McGregor faded, and McGregor really did fade, and as he did so, his boxing skills, especially his defence, just disintegrated.

After the fight, McGregor described Mayweather as 'composed', which I thought was spot on. He has always been composed, never panicked, because of his belief that he has the analytical skills to work out his opponent, and the physical skills to punish them.

I would add to that, 'practiced'. Mayweather has been doing this for decades. Every single bit of it is second nature to him. For McGregor, it clearly wasn't. When his stamina went, he didn't have anything to fall back on, and was completely open.

I don't really have a problem with McGregor's tactics. I think the least likely result of all, by some margin, was that he would win a decision. I think he went out there to finish it early, and he did land some shots, but Mayweather was just too hard to pin down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    And there's no way that was stopped early. Conor was done

I agree, he was really hoping for the early knockout but there didn't seem to be much power in his punches, he got really flat footed as he got tired aswell, in saying that he has some heart and has to be respected for that, given time and training he could be a boxer I'm sure, but years not weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Mayweather K.O.
    He was reverting back to mma moves more as he running out of steam, acting more on raw instinct. Reckon he might have ended up being disqualified if he was left to go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

If he was just trying to absorb the shots McGregor was throwing, then why was he trying to avoid them at the same time? When boxers decide to absorb an onslaught, they do so with their arms and gloves, they don't absorb shots with their head on purpose. Honestly, make some sense ffs.

Floyd was also clearly throwing shots of his own and Conor was clearly slipping much of them. And that stance switching you're laughing at was something that frustrated Floyd and saw him eat a few shots he'd rather not have, and also one upper cut. Again it will be said that Floyd eat all these shots on purpose.

And as far as there being no power on them, Floyd wasn't to know that.

Conor showed some nice boxing skills in the fight.... not that you'll hear too many admitting it.

It's never a good idea to take any punches now is it. Mayweather has spent his whole career avoiding getting hit why would he change now.

How many times was Mayweather actually hit cleanly on the head ?Once or twice perhaps if even that.

Make some sense will you and stop trying to make out that McGregor was even remotely competitive, Mayweather won 9 of the 10 rounds for Christs sake despite not really putting in much offensive effort early on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,056 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

That was as one sided in the end as many of us expected. Respect to McGregor in a sense but this was Men playing with a boy for while.

It reminds me of playing FIFA with my little brother giving him a 2 goal head start and then wham bam thank you dan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement