Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official AH McGregor vs Mayweather thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

It's never a good idea to take any punches now is it. Mayweather has spent his whole career avoiding getting hit why would he change now.

lol :P

You're the one saying he purposefully absorbed shots from McGregor...... not me!
    But that's what Mayweather did do , he just sat back absorbed anything McGregor threw at him and then played with him until it was over.

You couldn't make it up. Get some sleep will ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

lol :P

You're the one saying he purposefully absorbed shots from McGregor...... not me!

You couldn't make it up. Get some sleep will ya.

When I say absorbed I mean it in more of he looked at McGregor throw his best and let him burn himself out.

You're the one thinking he did well despite losing 9 of 10 rounds to a fella who hasn't fought for 2 years and clearly was taking it easy at the beginning.

The McGregor fan boys really can't stand the fact that he's failed to back up all his big talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Mayweather DQ
    When I say absorbed I mean it in more of he looked at McGregor throw his best and let him burn himself out.

You're the one thinking he did well despite losing 9 of 10 rounds to a fella who hasn't fought for 2 years and clearly was taking it easy at the beginning.

The McGregor fan boys really can't stand the fact that he's failed to back up all his big talk.

McGregor easily won the 1 and 2, and likely 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

McGregor DQ
    Makes me wonder if Conor will go back to the UFC. He made easy money last night. 100 million and barely a bruise on him.

What will motivate him to get back into the Octagon to fight Nate Diaz or Khabib Nurmagomedov for around 10 million in a much tougher discipline, where he could actually get hurt?

If he goes and fights Paul Malinaggi, he can get at least 500k US PPV buys at a 100 quid a pop, take most of the purse because he's the main attraction and get 2-3 times he could at the UFC, for easier work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

So out of one side of your mouth you're laughing at the notion that Mayweather would allow himself to be hit and then out of the other you're saying he absorbed McGregor's best. Like I said, laughable.

A "fella who hasn't fought for 2 years". Yeah, that sums up Floyd Mayweather.

And anyone that thinks McGregor only won a single round must have watched the fight with his eyes closed.

Get your facts straight there, chief, I tipped up Mayweather by TKO @ 11/4 and felt McGregor only had a slim chance of winning. If anything he preformed better than I thought he would. He slipped some lovely shots and really only struggled to box with Floyd when he had gassed.

• Advertisement

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

2 of the 3 judges gave Mayweather every round bar the first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Mayweather DQ
    2 of the 3 judges gave Mayweather every round bar the first.

I disagree with them.

I disagree with them.

Seeing as they were at the fight and proper officials I think they're view of it counts for more than people who watched on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Just watched the fight there. Its surreal how far McGregor has come in a few short years. His determination and drive should be acknowledged and applauded. Also, his interview on the ring was pure Crumlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Well, thank gods that's over. I thought they'd never just meet and be done with it, it's been going on so long.

Mayweather won, McGregor got a fair amount of publicity and both got out of it relatively unscathed in terms of public opinion and support. General win all around really. And at least the pair of them will stop using the media to call obnoxious potshots on each other now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I disagree with them.

But, if you were going to prearrange a result, it's exactly what you would expect. Mayweather could of knocked him out in the first round but that might look a bit too easy for the McGregor camp.

Lots of "negotiations" went on before this fight. It's as clear as day that McGregor can't punch & has no stamina. Any journey pro would beat him.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The judges disagree, I'll go with their assesment.
    All 3 gave him the first. 1 gave him the 2nd and 3rd. The other 2 gave the Rest to Mayweather.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

And anyone that thinks McGregor only won a single round must have watched the fight with his eyes closed.

Like 2 of the 3 judges?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

OK, so,

McGregor fan here. No lies, no pretending. Mayweather was never going to lose this fight. The ONLY hope Conor had was an early KO. I had the fight going the distance tbh though with a landslide victory on points to the actual professional boxer.
    I think in years to come when he writes his memoirs conor will admit he didn't truly believe he would win this fight.
    It doesn't matter. This was more than a boxing match. It was a money making exercise for everyone involved. The only people to lose out on this were the people silly enough to contribute money to this event be it through PPV or whatever.

Conor now has around 150million in the bank. 150000000!!!!!!! Set for his life and his kids life.

Mayweather probably cleared 200mil all things included. His tax problems a memory now, until the next time!!!! And that may well happen. He may well need a few quid in a few years for the IRS so there could be a rematch in the future!!!!! Imagine that..........

The haters are taking great pleasure in Conors defeat but even the fan boys knew deep down he was never going to win. I don't understand the hate personally. I am a fan of his although I don't agree with a lot of his behavior but that's who he is. It seems to me a lot of the haters would be fine with him if he had a D4 accent........he is where he is because of who he is and where he came from. If had a different life he wouldn't be the same. He would just be like most of our other national sportsmen and women who have had a shot at the big time; humble, quiet and walked all over!

He will come back and fight again, he may win, he may lose but he'll keep going.

Let's just put last nights antics into perspective,

A novice boxer(at best) fought the undefeated GOAT with a lifetime of boxing behind him and although the novice far from embarrassed himself he lost!!!! Not exactly a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

It's crazy money all the same. Fair play to him. Could only dream of that money myself and he makes it from doing what he loves,he is very fortunate but he worked hard for it and I respect him for that if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Mayweather K.O.
    I kind of wonder myself is McGregor planning to stay in the UFC much longer, he's hinted in the past that he wanted a big payday and now that it's happened will he go back to fighting 10 times for what he made in 1 fight last night.

He has gotten to where he is today through hard work and skill though, something his haters will never admit.

Compare that to KK who made her money by a video going public of her taking a length of stick.

McGregor DQ
    Really enjoyed watching it this morning. Mayweather is the Federer of the boxing world. Cool, calm, collected and never looked in difficulty throughout. You could see him just evaluating McGregor in the opening rounds.

Since I learned yesterday for the first time that McGregor was not one for stamina over multiple rounds, I knew it was over for him after the 4th round- he hadn't made much of an impact on Mayweather and you could see him starting to tire while Mayweather was starting to get into a rhythm.

For someone who's rarely watched boxing no less MMA, it was great entertainment. I've spent more than 25 euro on a night out at the cinema and came home feeling disappointed so this wasn't money badly spent.

McGregor DQ
    McGregor making a royal fool of himself on ESPN now, saying that he just had a "dip" and is just "wobbly" sometimes, and then at round 11 and 12 he "comes back better than ever" if only the referee had allowed it to go on. The cringe...

"it felt like amateurs, that's like something you'd see in the amateurs"... he literally just said that about stopping the fight. :rolleyes:

In fairness to him, he made the point that he could still think clearly, he wasn't dazed, it was just that he had run out of juice. He knew he was beat. He was just just making out, and I think rightfully so, that he was still standing and his dignity was still intact.

I don't like Conor much but I do respect what he did last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I am boxing! Your all going to eat your words. I'm not here to take part I'm here to take over. **** the Mayweather's.

I knew he was never going to beat Mayweather. But he did make over €100,000,000.00 from the fight. There are many, many boxers out there who were boxing their whole lives and never seen that much money.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Mayweather K.O.
    Would be great if he logged back on to Boards again, I don't think he ever deleted his account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,056 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I am boxing! Your all going to eat your words. I'm not here to take part I'm here to take over. **** the Mayweather's.

I knew he was never going to beat Mayweather. But he did make over €100,000,000.00 from the fight. There are many, many boxers out there who were boxing their whole lives and never seen that much money.

Thats the sad thing for me, is that some great boxers never got that chance at prime times and then some lad beaten easily like CM gets nice pay check for being easily beaten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Thats the sad thing for me, is that some great boxers never got that chance at prime times and then some lad beaten easily like CM gets nice pay check for being easily beaten

Don't cry now it's not that sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,749 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Mayweather lost all of the first 6 rounds one could argue. McGregor fought a brainless fight, never paced himself for 12 rounds.
    Mayweather was out for a Sunday stroll for 6 rounds , while McGregor was out for a fast paced run, they then bumped into each other in the middle of a deserted road and Mayweather beat up this out of breath jogger who was completed fatigued.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,056 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Don't cry now it's not that sad.

Well im sure most are doing fine;)

Just pity the some great boxers dont get the appreciation rather then a rookie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well im sure most are doing fine;)

Just pity the some great boxers dont get the appreciation rather then a rookie

Happens in MMA as well. When CM Punk fought Mickey Gall in his first ever pro fight, he got $500K - Gall made an absolute mockery of him in 2 minutes and was paid something like $15k.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

"Boxer out-boxes non boxer"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Mayweather DQ
    Schwiiing wrote: »
    What if this fight was a rematch against a fully fit Manny Pac a year ago?

That would also have generated allot of money, as would a rematch with Canelo but McGregor was the best business move. No risk, Maximum reward.

Mayweather DQ
    Mayweather lost all of the first 6 rounds one could argue. McGregor fought a brainless fight, never paced himself for 12 rounds.
    Mayweather was out for a Sunday stroll for 6 rounds , while McGregor was out for a fast paced run, they then bumped into each other in the middle of a deserted road and Mayweather beat up this out of breath jogger who was completed fatigued.

I'll argue it for one. I scored the first 2 rounds for McGregor. Floyd won every other round.

Conor was breathing heavily after round 2 and was exhausted by round 5.

It was like a long distance runner coming up against a sprinter over 10k meters.

Mayweather DQ
    khaldrogo wrote: »
    How can you possibly know that none of the fans of mma know nothing about boxing? Are you an expert? Where can I see some of your expert boxing work?

I never said MMA fans don't know anything about boxing. You can be an MMA fan without being a delusional McGregor fanboy. Plenty of MMA fans wanted Conor to win but knew his chances we're very slim.

I'm not claiming to be an expert but I have watched allot of fights, including every Mayweather fight live since 2007. I know his style and how good he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

What was amazing about it was Conor wasn't fit.
    All that waffle, money spent on training camps, experts, cardio, training, nutrionalists, trainers, performance centres etc etc etc and he was open mouthed panting like a beached whale after just two rounds!. Two bloody rounds.
    Out of puff in 6 Minutes.
    Wasnt due to Maweather as for the first two rounds Mayweather had his hands in his pockets.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement