Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official AH McGregor vs Mayweather thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Some real nasty hatred going on in this thread. Not a huge fan of Conor McGregor but you have to respect that performance - he went 10 rounds with the best boxer in the world, and certainly touched him a lot more than many other professional boxers have, which is a pretty huge achievement.

He was never going to win. I just thought he would lose far more badly than he did. No shame in the performance, I don't think - even the commentators were stunned in the earlier rounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mayweather DQ
    Schwiiing wrote: »
    Will its profile remain as high as it is atm?

It was already getting big before Conor. It's not like he arrived and took it from nothing.

Years of people like Tito, Chuck, GSP, Ronda, Valasquez, etc, got it to where it is today, pretending Conor is the only thing MMA has going for it is idiocy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Sounds like McGregor gave it a good shot, but was outclassed by probably the best boxer in history. Not much wrong with that.

I'm glad it's over, just so people will stop talking about it.

Mayweather DQ
    Jesus Wept wrote: »
    UFC is incredibly entertaining compared to boxing.

True dat.

I love boxing, but it's very slow paced at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Some real nasty hatred going on in this thread. Not a huge fan of Conor McGregor but you have to respect that performance - he went 10 rounds with the best boxer in the world, and certainly touched him a lot more than many other professional boxers have, which is a pretty huge achievement.

He was never going to win. I just thought he would lose far more badly than he did. No shame in the performance, I don't think - even the commentators were stunned in the earlier rounds.

10 rounds against a ring rusty 40 yr old who recently lacks any real aggression in the ring who McGregor knew was too small and light to do him any real damage.

Floyd made the easiest 100m in human history tonight. The same 100m he would have made against any proper boxer.

But he had no interest in a proper boxing match and McGregor was the easy choice. He never broke a sweat in putting on a clinic after doing his standard sweet FA for the first few rounds.

This wasn't a boxing 'match' by any stretch. It was an amateur hoping for the best against a pro going through the motions.

A stain on Floyds legacy in my opinion. 1 that will be swept under the rug in years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Mayweather DQ
    People need to stop with this stuff of Floyd being the best boxer in the world or even the best ever. He isn't and wanst.

Mayweather DQ
    People need to stop with this stuff of Floyd being the best boxer in the world or even the best ever. He isn't and wanst.

He's certainly the best of his generation and a future Hall of Famer and easily in the discussion for the pound for pound best of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Floyd would last seconds in MMA but he would be the biggest name in MMA for those few seconds. MMA will always boxings poor relation. Floyd would have made near the same money against any other opponent but he wouldn't have made it as easy. Conor would still be shaking down the UFC for realtive chump change if Mayweather hadn't him thrown him a bone.

MMA will disappear when Conor quits. Who else is there in the UFC?

MMA existed before Conor and to will exist after Conor.

Don't be ridiculous.
    It existed but fighters were getting very little money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've already said Mayweather was never going to do anything but win. Nor am I denying that he wasn't really pushed.

Considering Conor is a total amateur who's never professionally stood in a ring before, it is an impressive achievement nonetheless though - he even landed quite a lot of shots in earlier rounds, something that previous world champion standard boxers have not been able to do.

It was never about a contest - it was a fascination with how badly McGregor would lose. He lost badly, but he performed a lot better than anyone in the sport expected him to, regardless of how one-sided it remained. That's an inescapable fact.

Mayweather DQ
    ted1 wrote: »
    It existed but fighters were getting very little money

Hopefully the class action suit being brought by Randy Couture, Jon Fitch and co will lead to the Ali Act being applied so that MMA fighters are afforded the same protections as boxers and scumbags like Dana White and the Frittata Sisters will be stopped from financially raping the fighters who put their bodies on the line going forward.

Right now in MMA you have a position where the UFC, Bellator, etc are both the sanctioning bodies and the promoters. It's a disgrace.

• Advertisement

Considering Conor is a total amateur who's never professionally stood in a ring before, it is an impressive achievement nonetheless though - he even landed quite a lot of shots in earlier rounds, something that previous world champion standard boxers have not been able to do.

It was never about a contest - it was a fascination with how badly McGregor would lose. He lost badly, but he performed a lot better than anyone in the sport expected him to, regardless of how one-sided it remained. That's an inescapable fact.

Some people need some perspective on what happened tonight.

World Champion boxers faced a fully committed Floyd defending a title. They were led on a merry dance and some were made to look fairly ordinary.

Pacquiao landed 81 punches on a Floyd who was fully committed to his defensive style and who knew Pac could do him damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Is this fight not really bad for UFC in that it's main star has not fought for almost a year despite having a title so it's probably going to be another 3 or 4 months at least before he defends his title.The guy who runs UFC was actually along for the ride with McGregor deciding to abandon his own sport that he holds a title in so he could compete in a mismatch of a boxing match.

Kinda farcical when you think about it and despite UFC priding itself on the best always fighting the best and not having the kind of nonsense politics that ruin boxing you have this farce of it's main star not actually bothering with the sport while actually being a champion of it. He really should have had at least one defence of his title by now and if this happened in boxing people would be calling it farcicial that there has been so long without a title defence but it seems to be acceptable in UFC.

Not really. He'll fight before the end of the year.

He was offered a Mayweather fight. That's not the same as not being bothered with UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

Always a money mismatch. Well done Floyd. Irish media slightly tolerable today thanks to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Draw
    A stain on Floyds legacy in my opinion. 1 that will be swept under the rug in years to come.

I don't see how. If you think it's not a real match then so what? Some say it counts as 50, others say it's still 49. People play exhibition matches in other sports, those aren't counted as some huge events marking the player's reputation, football matches with premier league players that are 20 past their playing days for example. If you're offered $10 million to **** in a toilet, that's what you're going to do. It doesn't matter that it's not your most challenging ordeal.

In general I don't go along with the opinion that a person should quit at the top so they won't "stain their legacy". So I especially don't see how winning such a fight can stain your legacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

Thought it was a fantastic job by McGregor against Mayweather who is inarguably one of the best pro boxers of this generation, and who has reams of experience in the ring.

Ten rounds against that experience is phenomenal, especially when changing your instinctive style of fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Mayweather K.O.
    Ml8Y399.jpg

No shame in that, he took a punch from one of the most skilled boxers who ever lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

PTH2009 wrote:
    Pissed off at the stream tbh

You should file a complaint. You're probably entitled to compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Mayweather K.O.
    snowflaker wrote: »
    Feel sorry for all the guys that lost their dole money on Conor....

Do you think all the people who support McGregor are on the dole and sit around drinking Dutch Gold?

I don't see how. If you think it's not a real match then so what? Some say it counts as 50, others say it's still 49. People play exhibition matches in other sports, those aren't counted as some huge events marking the player's reputation, football matches with premier league players from 20 years ago for example. If you're offered $10 million to **** in a toilet, that's what you're going to do. It doesn't matter that it's not your most challenging ordeal.

In general I don't go along with the opinion that a person should quit at the top so they won't "stain their legacy". So I especially don't see how winning such a fight can stain your legacy.

Floyd made light work of the best his generation had to offer. He could have bowed out maybe a year ago after Pacquiao 2 having made probably even more than he made tonight.

But his last fight will a joke shop, easy money grab against a no hoper that took 0 real effort on Floyds behalf.

Kieran Donaghy is still the best pound for pound fighter in Ireland.

Strange to see a boxer with a beard though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Draw
    Floyd made light work of the best his generation had to offer. He could have bowed out maybe a year ago after Pacquiao 2 having made probably even more than he made tonight.

But his last fight will a joke shop, easy money grab against a no hoper that took 0 real effort on Floyds behalf.

Well I don't get it. Lots of old sportsmen have performed in exhibition matches well after their retirement. He didn't legitimize anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Must be me who thought Mayweather was awful.

Well I don't get it. Lots of old sportsmen have performed in exhibition matches well after their retirement. He didn't legitimize anything.

Exhibitions are always tagged as such.

This was tagged as a legit contest between 2 legit boxers and a lot a people got burned.

As I said in another thread.... Floyd 49.5 - 0

If Mayweather had felt something in that uppercut he would have switched on and McGregor would have been boxing a mirage like Canelo was. He didn't so he just cruised on auto-pilot while also lacking the power to put Conor out early.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

If Mayweather had felt something in that uppercut he would have switched on and McGregor would have been boxing a mirage like Canelo was. He didn't so he just cruised on auto-pilot while also lacking the power to put Conor out early.
    I thought his whole performance was awful, he should have had him out before 5 rounds. Poor performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Kiith wrote: »
    Sounds like McGregor gave it a good shot, but was outclassed by probably the best boxer in history. Not much wrong with that.

I'm glad it's over, just so people will stop talking about it.

The wee dole sponging conor fan boys will hopefully stop all the sh1te now, I know a few lads at work that already have egg on their face.

Fecking love it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Mayweather DQ
    Is this fight not really bad for UFC in that it's main star has not fought for almost a year despite having a title so it's probably going to be another 3 or 4 months at least before he defends his title.The guy who runs UFC was actually along for the ride with McGregor deciding to abandon his own sport that he holds a title in so he could compete in a mismatch of a boxing match.

Kinda farcical when you think about it and despite UFC priding itself on the best always fighting the best and not having the kind of nonsense politics that ruin boxing you have this farce of it's main star not actually bothering with the sport while actually being a champion of it. He really should have had at least one defence of his title by now and if this happened in boxing people would be calling it farcicial that there has been so long without a title defence but it seems to be acceptable in UFC.

Conor McGregor is the UFC, so they have to put things on hold for him. Ronda Rousey was exposed for the fraud that she is, and Jon Jones in jucied on Soviet Union steroids. They literally have nothing else.

Yes it was a farcical money grab but everyone involved made allot of money so, everyone is happy.

If McGregor returns to the UFC and wins, the fan who are upset will forgive and forget.

FYI Conor McGregor has never defended a title in the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Did McGregor not say anything in his interview about why he was even there to get prematurely stopped in the 10th? Thought he was guaranteeing knocking out Floyd in the 4th or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Mayweather K.O.
    I thought his whole performance was awful, he should have had him out before 5 rounds. Poor performance.

That's been Mayweather's style for yonks now. Never does more than the absolute bare minimum - unless he feels genuinely threatened. He fell out of love with the sport many moons ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Mayweather DQ
    Floyd would last seconds in MMA but he would be the biggest name in MMA for those few seconds. MMA will always boxings poor relation. Floyd would have made near the same money against any other opponent but he wouldn't have made it as easy. Conor would still be shaking down the UFC for realtive chump change if Mayweather hadn't him thrown him a bone.

MMA will disappear when Conor quits. Who else is there in the UFC?

Floyd would most certainly be beaten by Conor in an MMA bout, I don't think anyone would seriously dispute that.

I agree boxing will always be above MMA

I disagree that Floyd would have made this money with any fighter. He fought Andre Berto's 2 years ago and 'only' made 32 million dollars garunteed purse

The profile, personality and huge following of McGregor contributed massively to the money pot for this fight

MMA will never disappear but The UFC are nothing without Conor right now. He is all they have.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement