Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due April 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

Hi ladies. I had my anomaly scan this morning...all looking good! The relief!!!
    And we found out that it's a little girl en route....over the moon!

RubyXI wrote:
    Just nearly 17 weeks. Over the weekend bump was definitely starting to form but it seems to be gone again now.... I'm a bit scared. Could there be a problem or is it just something that happens?

You were prob bloated or something! I thought I had a huge bump at one point but then it looked smaller the next day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

laylag wrote: »
    Hi ladies. I had my anomaly scan this morning...all looking good! The relief!!!
    And we found out that it's a little girl en route....over the moon!

Aw that's great news. Must be such relief after the anomaly scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

18 weeks here and due the anomaly scan the first week of December, I was in with my consultant last week and she mentioned my options in relation to the birth as I had to have an emergency c-section last time around. I'd like to avoid a c-section this time around but I won't dig my heels in and I'll just see what happens when the time comes.

I definitely have a little bump, I've given up trying to squeeze into my regular clothes and I've fully embraced my maternity wear wardrobe :) I would like to be able to wear short legged trousers to work but it's impossible to find any so I suspect I'll be wearing maternity dresses throughout the winter :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

18 weeks here and due the anomaly scan the first week of December, I was in with my consultant last week and she mentioned my options in relation to the birth as I had to have an emergency c-section last time around. I'd like to avoid a c-section this time around but I won't dig my heels in and I'll just see what happens when the time comes.

I definitely have a little bump, I've given up trying to squeeze into my regular clothes and I've fully embraced my maternity wear wardrobe :) I would like to be able to wear short legged trousers to work but it's impossible to find any so I suspect I'll be wearing maternity dresses throughout the winter :(

Have you tried new look online? They have some cropped trousers.

• Advertisement

Thanks RubyXI, I remember I bought tops on New Look first time around but I couldn't recall if they had trousers, I'll have a look :)

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

RubyXI wrote:
    Just nearly 17 weeks. Over the weekend bump was definitely starting to form but it seems to be gone again now.... I'm a bit scared. Could there be a problem or is it just something that happens?

Mine comes and goes too, nothing to be worrying about!

Great news laylag, must be relief getting the scan done, I know I will be a bag of nerves having seen my sis go through her little lad being diagnosed with heart problem at that scan. Thats the main reason I'm paying for one privately, unfortunately cavan don't have facilities to do them.
    Still haven't seen a doctor! First hosp appointment Friday week.

Is anyone taking supplements, is there a need? I did on my first but they made me very nauseated so haven't taken anything from 12 weeks,

Ainy I'm taking supplements. I don't take them everyday but usually every second day. I also take them in the evening as I can find they sometimes make me nauseous.

I'm just taking vitamin d!

Hmm I should prob look in to some, I don't think I need iron yet anyway. I really have not been putting much attention on this pregnancy, starting to feel guilty seeing as I did everything by the book for the first one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

I'm taking Pregnacare in liquid form

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Chickus

Def try get calcium in as baby needs so much..and you need to keep your bones n teeth healthy. 😉 shur if you get enough of everything in.your diet you should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

In from the February thread. It's my first and had all the right fancy vitamins. All I could stomach from weeks 6-18 was folic acid and the midwife said that was OK. Now I take a pregnancy multi vitamin and fish oils. The main one is folic acid up to 12 weeks min and vitamin D. I also take iron in the liquid form, that's all in the last 4weeks because I couldn't stomach it before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Agree with tea and cake.

Please make sure you are taking folic acid. It really is so important

frogstar wrote:
    Please make sure you are taking folic acid. It really is so important

Oh I was taking it until 12 weeks, had my midwife appointment last week and she didn't seem to think I needed any at the minute of I'm eating well, which I am but just thought i would see what others are taking and if they would be really needed.

ainy wrote:
    Oh I was taking it until 12 weeks, had my midwife appointment last week and she didn't seem to think I needed any at the minute of I'm eating well, which I am but just thought i would see what others are taking and if they would be really needed.

The only thing I was told to take by the midwife is vitamin d as we don't get much sun!

laylag wrote:
    The only thing I was told to take by the midwife is vitamin d as we don't get much sun!

Will have look for that so!

Same here, I told her I was only taking folic acid due to nausea but she advised that I should take vitamin d for bone health (for both myself and the baby). My iron levels were fine so I think if I eat okay I'm not going to bother with pregnacare as I found them hard on my stomach and just stick with folic acid and vitamin d.

Got a call from the midwife clinic, my urine sample has shown something so they are sending me out a prescription for an antibiotic, I missed the call so couldn't ask any questions but my first clinic appointment is next Friday so guess I will find out then, hoping its not the group b strep.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I got the impression they use a swab to test for GroupB strep not a urine sample, so its unlikely.Also they will only treat once you're in labour for it because it doesn't affect you.(the treatment is for the baby).They always seem to be looking for protein in the urine samples, seems to indicate kidney infections.I'm sure they see other signs of minor infections there too!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

ainy wrote: »
    Got a call from the midwife clinic, my urine sample has shown something so they are sending me out a prescription for an antibiotic, I missed the call so couldn't ask any questions but my first clinic appointment is next Friday so guess I will find out then, hoping its not the group b strep.

I had the group b strep and it was detected by a vaginal swab. On one of my early urine samples I got a call to come back in and do another one because something had shown up in the first one and they wanted to confirm if I needed an antibiotic. Apparently kidney infections in pregnancy are common and don't always show symptoms. Luckily my second sample was all clear.

I had asked the midwife when she was sending it away( they routinely send first sample off now, they didn't on my first baby) if this was for the group b strep and she said Yeah, but I know it may not be that, that has shown up. My sister has it and always had to have the antibiotics in labour, just didn't fancy me having to do that!! Hadn't noticed any symptoms of urinary infection until I got the call today, now anytime I go I do, it is prob more psychological tho!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

AFAIK, the group B strep won't be treated with regular antibiotics in pregnancy because it can just come back - they'll note it in your files and you'll be given them by IV while you're in labour. I'm open to correction on that though. I had it last time around and they don't even bother swabbing me this time, I'll be given antibiotics in labour regardless, as a precaution.

Toots wrote:
    AFAIK, the group B strep won't be treated with regular antibiotics in pregnancy because it can just come back - they'll note it in your files and you'll be given them by IV while you're in labour. I'm open to correction on that though. I had it last time around and they don't even bother swabbing me this time, I'll be given antibiotics in labour regardless, as a precaution.

Yeah I kind of though that was the case, must be something else that has shown up so.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yeah toots, third go round here and I'lll be treated again.No swab check this time or last time for it.I don't really mind though.

shesty wrote: »
    Yeah toots, third go round here and I'lll be treated again.No swab check this time or last time for it.I don't really mind though.

Indeed, can't say I've any complaints about avoiding a speculum and giant q-tip :pac:

Hi ladies. What are your opinions on ante natal and lactation classes? Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

ainy wrote: »
    Yeah I kind of though that was the case, must be something else that has shown up so.

I was told by the midwife that it can cause miscarriage, so I’d be surprised if they didn’t treat it if you test positive for it.

laylag wrote:
    Hi ladies. What are your opinions on ante natal and lactation classes? Any good?

I did the hospital ones the first time around, my partner came with me for the antenatal and it was very good, not sure it I will do them this time as my little one is only 2 and half now.
    I went to breastfeeding one on my own and I really enjoyed that too, felt much more prepared and when the time came I remembered what we had done and breastfeeding went well. I probably will attend that one if I can this time too.

• Advertisement

I did ante natal classes and I found they were good to prepare you as to what to expect when you arrive at the hospital. Also there was a physio class which I found really good.

I think a breastfeeding class or a visit to a local cuidiu or la leche league meet up would be beneficial. Just to hear other people's stories and what to expect. It's a totally new skill for mum and baby to learn and the right support can be very helpful. Maybe get the name of a local lactation consultant so you have it if you find you need it after the birth. The cuidiu breastfeeding counsellors are so helpful and you can contact them for advice.
    Good luck.

Advertisement